New Reply
Subscribe
Piebong
27th February 2011
Old 27th February 2011
Gear Head

Is Eastwest or Vienna an improvement?

Hello Gearslutz,

I own Peter Siedlaczek's Complete Clasical Collection. I wonder whether Eastwest Symphic Orchestra or Vienna Symphonic Library is an improvement for me to Siedlaczek. Does anyone have experience with Siedlazcek and Eastwest or Vienna? Is there a great difference or is the difference only tiny?
Kind regards,
Pieter
Akh
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
Akh
Gear maniac

I've got EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum. It's amazing, although like all symphonic products its ability to recreate the orchestra convincingly is directly tied to your knowledge and use of MIDI. I'd love to get the Vienna Symphonic Library, but it's a little out of my price range -- by several thousand dollars actually. EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum seems like an logical upgrade from Peter Siedlaczek's Complete Clasical Collection, where as the Vienna Symphonic Library seems like the logical option if you're turning a profit from your work and/or have some money to spare.
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula

28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear

I've had Siedlaczek for quite a few years [ yes I can spell it without looking it up first! ] first on EMU and then EXS24, can't talk about the EWQL but VSL is definitely a step up in realism both in attention to detail and the legato tool thing raises the whole game.

LASS is pushes it even a bit further to my ears although I hasten to add that I'm not an absolute expert in this area like some on here but to answer the question, VSL definitely better than Siedlaczek.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project:
http://yournemesis.bandcamp.com/trac...tlas-mountains

-----------------------------------------------------------------
28th February 2011
Old 28th February 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piebong View Post
Hello Gearslutz,

I own Peter Siedlaczek's Complete Clasical Collection. I wonder whether Eastwest Symphic Orchestra or Vienna Symphonic Library is an improvement for me to Siedlaczek. Does anyone have experience with Siedlazcek and Eastwest or Vienna? Is there a great difference or is the difference only tiny?
Kind regards,
Pieter
It depends on how you use it. If all you need is a "pop string pad" to be used live (i.e. playing all the parts at the same time, mostly chordal style), then Vienna and EW won't sound much different than Siedlazcek, especially on a stage. If you know how to orchestrate, you actually write separate parts for the different sections (vl1, vl2, vla, vc and bs, not to mention divisi passages) and you're willing to take the time to use different articulations often down to each and every note, then it will make a WORLD of difference, especially with Vienna which, IMHO, is capable of achieving unmatched degrees of realism (VSL is the de-facto standard for classical music orchestral mockups.)
Piebong
1st March 2011
Old 1st March 2011
Gear Head

Thanks, guys for your answers!
First, I'm going to sell the Siedlaczek (I cannot spell it without watching) and I'm going to study the differences/price between the Vienna and EW.
Kind regards,
Pieter
3rd April 2011
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Head

EWSO Platinum is great but the PLAY engine is still unstable. even with PLAY 2.0 i find it hangs up or crashes my session, especially if you're running a pretty extensive session. Sounds great, though. I'm curious about hollywood strings to replace the string portion of EWSO but i heard that it is a major resource hog.
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear addict

I have and love lass! I can't say the same for play... stability has been crap!
So I would say as someone looking to get away from east west and into vienna.... avoid east west!!
Can anyone comment on what Vienna bundle would have a similar versitity to ew qlso gold/plat?

Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz.com App
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

wtf no love for Garritan personal Orchestra?
tutt
4th May 2011
Old 4th May 2011
Gear maniac

I found that mixing different libraries works best for me... adds a lot of depth... can be tricky with intonation however....
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search