SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions
New Reply
Subscribe
2nd October 2011
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsu View Post
Does anyone know whether the a4000's SCSI cf readers work with Akai S1100? I'm really new to this subject and currently trying to find a SCSI cf card reader solution for my sampler...
I can't test it on an Akai but it does work on a Yamaha A4000 and Roland XV-5080 so I don't think there should be a problem on the S1100.

You'll need to use the PCMCIA Slot on the reader, insert a PCMCIA adaptor in there containing the CF Card. I think the Akai S1100 may be limited to a disk size of just over 500MB? (Not sure). If that's the case you'll possibly need to use 1GB CF Cards. (of which only around 500MB will be usable).

It's also possible to write your sample CD's to CF Card under Linux (at least, this works for the Roland and may work for the Akai).
I haven't yet been able to get this method to work for the Yamaha A4000 so mileage may also vary with the Akai.

The Syntax is:

dd if=samplecd.iso of=/dev/sdb (or whatever your CF card is mounted under in Linux)

The sampler can then read the card as if it were the sample CD in a SCSI CDROM drive.

I make no claims or guarantees that any of the above will work for you, this is all fyi only. Best of luck.
2nd October 2011
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear interested

Thanks, asbak. Where did you find an external enclosure with an SCSI connector for the reader btw? Or did you just get a power supply?

@bogeyeater: What kind of drive did you get? I wasn't able to find an SCSI memory card reader on their site.
2nd October 2011
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, asbak. Where did you find an external enclosure with an SCSI connector for the reader btw? Or did you just get a power supply?
I used an old USB IDE drive enclosure which never worked well.
Ripped out its electronics.
Mounted SCSI connectors on the back of the case (cannibalised the connectors from elsewhere).
Mounted the cardreader inside the case.
Used the power supply from the USB IDE drive enclosure. (Cut the 12V line, kept the 5V.... although it probably wasn't necessary to remove the 12V).

You could search for a suitable SCSI hard drive or SCSI CDROM drive enclosure on eBay or similar. Many are heavily overpriced but there are some reasonable ones out there as well.
2nd October 2011
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Some are cheap, but shipping is expensive! They aren't that big or heavy , so I don't know why....

Some have fans - wonder if it's safe to remove them?
Although I guess you could turn the drive off after you have things loaded
2nd October 2011
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
Some are cheap, but shipping is expensive! They aren't that big or heavy , so I don't know why....
What sometimes happens is that eBay sellers manipulate item prices to be cheap and then rope in and nail the buyers on postage charges. Otherwise they don't always find the most competitive rates... who knows.

Quote:
Some have fans - wonder if it's safe to remove them?
Although I guess you could turn the drive off after you have things loaded
If it's a case fan intended to cool the original drive (assuming you'll be mounting a CF reader in place) then it should be.

Don't remove fans intended to cool the case powersupply (if this exists).
2nd October 2011
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

My Studio

If anyone in the UK needs a SCSI enclosure (new, 5 1/4" bay, Centronics connectors) send me a private message, I've got a few going cheap that would clear some space here.
3rd October 2011
Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear

4th October 2011
Old 4th October 2011
Gear addict

Akai S1000 compact flash?

Hello slutz:

Been trying to figure out if it's at all possible to use a compact flash scsi drive with an Akai S1000 that has the SCSI card. Anyone want to illuminate me with some wisdom gets a cookie ... maybe ;-)

thanks,

-matia
4th October 2011
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

My Studio

Yes, working well here with a Spyrus MCDISK and 512MB CF cards in a PCMCIA adapter. Ideally you want a hot-swappable one with the S1000 as you can only have 510MB per disk. The MCDISKs do that but they're hard to get hold of now so I would try the floppy size PCD-50B mentioned in this thread.
5th October 2011
Old 5th October 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to The Architecture Send a message via Yahoo to The Architecture
i messaged scsicardreaders here about this very question as well. Ive been dying to get my S1000 back in modern action but hate having to deal with zip discs. Im curious to know if anyone else has had success with the SCM 50B on an s1000.
5th October 2011
Old 5th October 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by matia View Post
Hello slutz:

Been trying to figure out if it's at all possible to use a compact flash scsi drive with an Akai S1000 that has the SCSI card. Anyone want to illuminate me with some wisdom gets a cookie ... maybe ;-)

thanks,

-matia
SCSI for samplers, tips & solutions
5th October 2011
Old 5th October 2011
Gear addict

Don Solaris
5th October 2011
Old 5th October 2011

TBH, no idea. Best is to ask the seller what's included there. IIRC they already had a SCSI bridge in there since Amiga requires SCSI anyway.
9th October 2011
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to The Architecture Send a message via Yahoo to The Architecture
The SCM 50B works on the S1000! Finally it kicks butt to have flash card capabilities on this sampler!
9th October 2011
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture View Post
The SCM 50B works on the S1000! Finally it kicks butt to have flash card capabilities on this sampler!
Great, is it hot-swappable?
23rd October 2011
Old 23rd October 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbak View Post
I have just tested it with my Roland XV5080. It successfully reads & writes to the CF card when using the PCMCIA slot + adaptor.
Did you change the jumper settings on the PCD-50B or did it work instantly when you plugged it in?

I have the reader connected and a CF card in the PCMCIA slot, but my Akai S1100 doesn't seem to recognise the device. All i get is a "Hard disk drive not ready". Any ideas if different jumper settings could help? The problem is that i don't have any experience changing those settings..
24th October 2011
Old 24th October 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Did you change the jumper settings on the PCD-50B or did it work instantly when you plugged it in?

I have the reader connected and a CF card in the PCMCIA slot, but my Akai S1100 doesn't seem to recognise the device. All i get is a "Hard disk drive not ready". Any ideas if different jumper settings could help? The problem is that i don't have any experience changing those settings..
sorry to say but...I have the same problem with the same equipment.(S1100 + PCD-50B)

let me know when you find a solution...
24th October 2011
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

they need this firmware update. here's a link to the topic i got it from
Attached Files
File Type: zip PCD50-60B firmware.zip (1.69 MB, 103 views)
27th October 2011
Old 27th October 2011
Gear addict

27th October 2011
Old 27th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerbeats View Post
Wow would this work wth an mpc60 anyone ?
The card reader you linked to is IDE., The MPC60 needs SCSI.
27th October 2011
Old 27th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

I may have set some jumpers to avoid conflicts in my SCSI chain but the problem with your unit is almost certainly the firmware version, as viewingstuff mentioned.
27th October 2011
Old 27th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerbeats View Post
Wow would this work wth an mpc60 anyone ?
Nope, if you want to use something like this you'll ALSO need a SCSI-IDE bridge and those things have become extremely pricey in the last year or so.

What's more, why pay 23 squid for something you can get off eBay for 3 squid?
(OK it is mounted on a pretty plate but that isn't worth the 20 bar difference)
27th October 2011
Old 27th October 2011
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Nope, if you want to use something like this you'll ALSO need a SCSI-IDE bridge and those things have become extremely pricey in the last year or so.

What's more, why pay 23 squid for something you can get off eBay for 3 squid?
(OK it is mounted on a pretty plate but that isn't worth the 20 bar difference)
I've got both. The Addonics/Startech one is expensive but it's well made. The cheap ones I've had are hand soldered with dull looking solder. The worst bit is I could see solder bridging some of the IDE pins so I didn't bother trying them as I didn't want to risk damaging the SCSI bridge.
28th October 2011
Old 28th October 2011
Lives for gear

I got a batch of generic Chinese machine produced CF-->IDE converters off eBay. Cheap as chips. They're working well inside my A4000's and I have another in an external SCSI CF drive. But sure, if it looks dodgy then it isn't worth the risk.
28th October 2011
Old 28th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got a batch of generic Chinese machine produced CF-->IDE converters off eBay. Cheap as chips. They're working well inside my A4000's and I have another in an external SCSI CF drive. But sure, if it looks dodgy then it isn't worth the risk.
I am thinking of adding one to my A5000. Easy to do?
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
I am thinking of adding one to my A5000. Easy to do?
Not really difficult.

Open up A5000. (very very hard work as you already know).
Power it up
Get out multimeter
Measure power sockets to get polarity of DC voltages for drive MOLEX connector. (Unless you already have the power cable)

You need a SCSI-IDE bridge + a IDE-CF converter (uses floppy drive type power cable).
You'll need to split the necessary power cables off the 5V and 12V lines from the A5000's power supply. (Think it has two or three available points)

You'll need to build the SCSI-IDE + IDE-CF assembly into the floppy drive bay. (That's the easiest way to do it). I used a small piece of wood, screwed that to the Floppy drive mounting bracket and mounted the assembly on this.

The SCSI-IDE bridges are expensive and scarce nowadays. I used an I/O Data which works quite well but is scarce. There's also an Acard? model I think which does the same thing.

Alternatively, get the whole thing prebuilt by a supplier like SCSI For Samplers used to supply. (The easier option).

Alternatively, get the PCD-50B + a PCMCIA CF Card. It should be possible to mount it in the floppy bay. It's slower than the I/O Data bridge but loading times on the Ax000 series are slow anyway so it probably won't make any difference. If you can get one for 70 bucks or so this would be my recommendation.
4th November 2011
Old 4th November 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
I may have set some jumpers to avoid conflicts in my SCSI chain but the problem with your unit is almost certainly the firmware version, as viewingstuff mentioned.
My bad: i didn't notice the SCSI drive ID settings menu on the S1100. After i changed the ID to 2, the reader started working.

For some reason i can't format the CF card though. The Arrange command works fine, but i'm not sure what it actually does... However the most important thing is that now i'm able to save/load samples.

Btw, does anyone have experience on the DD recording? I have the 4.3. OS but i'm getting a "Hardware change needed for DD operation" when i try to use it..
Don Solaris
7th November 2011
Old 7th November 2011

Quote:
My bad: i didn't notice the SCSI drive ID settings menu on the S1100. After i changed the ID to 2, the reader started working.
On the reader, set ID to 5 via jumpers. Because Akai's default SCSI drive is 5. That way, each time you turn on the Akai, you won't need to go to settings and change ID from 5 to 2. Just press F7 (SKIP) and you're in.

Quote:
For some reason i can't format the CF card though. The Arrange command works fine, but i'm not sure what it actually does...
Use the arrange command for the formatting work. It appears that "Format" command was for something else.

And get yourself Chickensys Translator. I can't imagine working on S1100 without it these days.
8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Gear nut

8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Gear maniac

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search