Old 17th February 2011
  #1
Gear maniac
 
astraeus000's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
80's Electro-pop

I was recently re-listening to Ministry's With Sympathy album after a long while, and realized how much I loved/missed it. Seems like the album is overlooked by many and made me wonder how many of the more obscure/slightly obscure great early 80's electro-pop records flew under my radar. Anyone have any they'd like to recommend.

p.s. I read an interview a while back listing some of the gear used on that album, if I remember correctly they used a Pro-One, a Moog Source and a couple Junos.
Old 18th February 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraeus000 View Post
I was recently re-listening to Ministry's With Sympathy album after a long while, and realized how much I loved/missed it. Seems like the album is overlooked by many and made me wonder how many of the more obscure/slightly obscure great early 80's electro-pop records flew under my radar. Anyone have any they'd like to recommend.

p.s. I read an interview a while back listing some of the gear used on that album, if I remember correctly they used a Pro-One, a Moog Source and a couple Junos.
Our Daughters Wedding (ODW) from NYC was sort of neat and fairly obscure. I think I actually saw them open for someone but I cannot remember and no drugs.
Old 18th February 2011
  #3
Banned
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraeus000 View Post
I was recently re-listening to Ministry's With Sympathy album after a long while, and realized how much I loved/missed it.
I know a lot of people disagree with me on this, but that to me is Ministry's greatest album by a long stretch.
Old 18th February 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
L-feld's Avatar
 

Oh heeeeeyyyyyyyll yeah. That album is freakin good.

A recent favorite of mine has been Chris and Cosi.

Also, I've been listening to When in Rome and Living in a Box lately, which were both produced by my old boss at Smithsonian.
Old 18th February 2011
  #5
Gear interested
 
jup8's Avatar
 

HI that is definitely ministry's best record... the synth programming is so awesome on that album and the songs are brilliant... cya analog-jeff
Old 18th February 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
laikenf's Avatar
 

Listen to Severed Heads "Come Visit The Big Bigot" and "Rotund For Success"; Cabaret Voltaire's "The Crackdown", "The Covenant, The Sword And The Arm Of The Lord" and "Microphonies"... Mind blowing albums (to me at least).

I'll contradict Derp here a little , 'cause my favorite Ministry Albums are "Land Of Rape And Honey" and "Psalm 69" (I love their psycho-cyber-robo-speed-thrash-hardcore punk-industrial sound they developed after their electronic beginnings... F@$#ing "Flashback is such an awesome track).
Old 18th February 2011
  #7
Gear maniac
 
astraeus000's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I agree it's a fantastic album (With Sympathy). I do love me some Twitch and Land of Rape and Honey though. Maybe Al will do a few synth-pop albums for us now that he did the guitar-stuff to death (and then some). Sort of like Smith of the Cure, why almost completely abandon all the synths/synth programming in later songwriting ? the latest Cure album was ghastly. I like Japanese Whispers !!! Expand your sound-palette again guys !!! Many of us are waiting dfegad
Old 18th February 2011
  #8
Hadn't listened to my old ministry albums in a while, just did

For me its Twitch and Land of Rape & Honey, both those albums blew me away at the time and heavily influenced me. Such a talented writer and producer. I loved a lot his side projects in the 80's too, RevCo and especially Pailhead, shame about all the speed metal afterwards...


.
Old 18th February 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
Cabaret Voltaire's "The Crackdown", "The Covenant, The Sword And The Arm Of The Lord" and "Microphonies"... Mind blowing albums (to me at least).

.
Cabaret Voltaire's "Code" was a huge influence on me, I place that album very high on my all time electronic albums list.. Many great albums in that 86-89 era.. 242's "Front By Front", Nitzer Ebb's "Belief", Ministry's "Twitch" and "Land of Rape & Honey", Kraftwerk's "Electric Cafe", DM's "Black Celebration" and "Music for the Masses"..
Old 18th February 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
laikenf's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
Cabaret Voltaire's "Code" was a huge influence on me, I place that album very high on my all time electronic albums list.. Many great albums in that 86-89 era.. 242's "Front By Front", Nitzer Ebb's "Belief", Ministry's "Twitch" and "Land of Rape & Honey", Kraftwerk's "Electric Cafe", DM's "Black Celebration" and "Music for the Masses"..
Ah, and how could I forget Code, Very pop, but also very dark; definitely one of their best.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Rufuss Sewell / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
4
esaias / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
5
Agzilla / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
2
beau_mckee / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show & Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
6
msrecprod / So much gear, so little time!
4

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.