Looking for a Chord Progression generator VST that does these things:
New Reply
Subscribe
ddeez
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Looking for a Chord Progression generator VST that does these things:

First off i'd just like to say please please please don't tell me i need to learn music theory, i already know a bit of it and that's not my focus atm. Anyways....

Hey all i'm looking for a chord progression generator that i can use as a vst that ideally can:

Be able to generate chord progressions for me and these chord progressions can be dragged as midi files into a midi track on my daw (I'm using cubase 5 on win xp)

When i say generate chord progressions for me i mean that if i select the key of C it can have a long long list of common and uncommon chord progressions in the plugin (that i can preview and hear). I also would like to be able to play a bassline and have it generate chords that match that bassline.

Can any programs out there do that?

Thanks so much in advance.
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

You want a program that basically creates melodies for you?
ddeez
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

No. I am interested in a program that generates chord progressions for me, suggests chord progressions for me based on the chord i most recently have played or selected, etc.
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Gear Guru

10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

ddeez
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for all the responses guys!! Simonator do you have any experience with the cognitone or synleor product?
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeez View Post
thanks for all the responses guys!! Simonator do you have any experience with the cognitone or synleor product?
Brief.

I preferred the Harmony Improvisator out of the two.

To be honest I'm not really into music with more than one chord though

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaproject View Post
This is the reason I don't hang out with people much....I generally don't like people...and this is exactly why... Simonator is the exact reason why
... Yeah! So don't mess with the Simonator!!! Grrrr
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via Yahoo to alexamk
Congnitone is amazing, you can write symphonic music that sounds amazing. One thing is its incredibly diificult to setup. But doing chord progressions with it is really easy and fun, its just if you see what its capable of you will want to learn it all. You can write a complete song with it and import the midi tracks into PT, Logic, etc. and then add the acoustic instruments and boom song finished!
ddeez
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Alex thanks so much for the response. yeah which cognitone product? the syn fire pro one or the harmony navigator?

Also what about it is really hard to setup?

Is making little 4 bar chord progressions on it quick, and does it suggest/make up chord progressions for you? could i drag and drop the midi into my cubase or would i have to export the midi file and import it into cubase?

Thanks so much!!!
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

Is there anything like this for mac?
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Greenway View Post
What the hell happened to writing the music yourself?
Yep, I agree with you... these people using these tools to provide suggested chords to chose from to help them because they are just stating out in making music... tutt

Personally, I also feel that using existing harmonic theory (ie existing scales/modes), computers, and even equal temperament is just plain cheating... So I like to weave a string out of my own pubes, then freely strum that using my dong... and just feel out which notes work together.
Anything other than that is just piggy-backing Johann Sebastian Bach. Damned freeloaders dfegad
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
This has nothing to do with not understanding music theory or being able to write your own chord progressions. I graduated from music school a long time ago and still find benefits in using something like this.

It's just refreshing to use when you're running out of ideas, stuck on a particular chord progression. something like Chordspace (which I never used, just checked it out as it was mentionned in this thread) seems very well thought-out.

Keep in mind that music theory is only math, quite litterally, that's all it is, it's what YOU do with it that will create something compelling.
As a composer I find this to be an additional valuable tool, whether you want to use it as your sole composition tool or and aid is up to you.
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
What's the difference between 4 chords you bang out yourself and 4 chords generated by the app if they both follow the circle of fifths?
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not judging anybody. If you want to use such a plugin, more power to you. But i don't feel we're heading into the right direction with all those "one button" melody generator programs. I don't like the fact that we'll soon have an "all-in-one" solution with like one big button in the middle of the screen...click on it and "your" whole song is done after 5 minutes of processing.

What's left of the music then?

And call me crazy but i don't think the majority is using such applications for brainstorming...or when they're "stuck" at a certain part of their song.

Most people probably use this because they can't come up with good enough arrangements on their own, bottom line.
Then again...the average listener doesn't really care if you used this chord generator to come up with your hit song...still kinda weird.
I think you are possibly confusing what is being discussed here with the likes of Microsoft Songsmith... which most of us here would agree is abominable.
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
one big button in the middle of the screen...click on it and "your" whole song is done after 5 minutes of processing.

Most people probably use this because they can't come up with good enough arrangements on their own, bottom line.
while I understand your argument, and it's a valid one. I belive that it's not to "replace" the actual understanding and knowledge behind nusic theory or "thinking it up" on your own.

Basically it boils down to this: Give a calculator to my little 5th grader nephew and he'll cheat to get through his exams...but perpetrating this behavior will get him nowhere in life. Give a calculator to a good accountant and he'll forecast your next 10 year investments with tons of variables and scenarios. why? because he knows his stuff, it's just a tool to help him draw comparative scenarios very quickly.

if you had to produce 5 10min long instrumentations a week for TV with all the last minute changes that usually come with it. These types of tools would be a God send to you! And mind you , even if you were given computerized alternatives, you still have to put it together into a cohesive unit. This is where your experience and knowledge come into play. My little nephew will put it together as the software said and call it a day. That 's not going to get him the next Big Hollywood score.

And if anything, by pressing button and be aggreably surprised with the next chord in line, might actually stimulate/challenge the mind into a passive learning experience . Not totally a bad thing if you ask me.

So to sum it up: it's only a tool, you still need to handle it :-)
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Well the idea of a future application that does all the work for you with one single mouse click is not really that far away from a chord generator that is able to tell you which chord to pick next imo.

That's what i meant...and i believe music software technology is heading in that direction right now. If this is a good or bad thing is all opinion i guess.
It's sort of irrelevant in a way whether robots will outstage man into creating musical pieces of any relevance, what differenciates one composer/artist from another is his/her ability to rise above, whatever the means, if anything history is proof of that :-)
if you do believe that in the future one mouse click will do all the work for you and might put you out of a job, trust me you've already lost your job.

In my opinion, on paper, a blues progression is the most boring thing ever! in practice however, it can be made to sound a million different ways. It all comes down to one individual to twist it and give it an indelible character.
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear maniac

BTW...

Paul, just ot make it clear: I'm not picking up a fight or arguing, just a healthy debate on an interresting topic :-)
Lack of intonation on the internet is sometime akward; and people tend to argue alot on these boards.
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear maniac

The best music I've written on the guitar was a result of me exploring with almost no music theory knowledge at all. I look at these chord/harmony generators the same way. Just another way to explore music.

Another one that can be useful is Sugar Bytes Consequence.
ddeez
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

So does anyone have a decent amount of experience with Harmony Navigator the cognitone product? or syn fire pro?
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its all good. After all this is a forum.

Yes but what's left of the individual character if all you have is one button?
well...this particular app obviously has more than one button to choose from, and I bet someone with no western music theory background wouldn't see any interest in it
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear maniac

We would find ways to argue about how to push the button!
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't like the fact that we'll soon have an "all-in-one" solution with like one big button in the middle of the screen...click on it and "your" whole song is done after 5 minutes of processing.

People didn't stop using those 4 chords because Pachelbel used them. So why would you stop?

People didn't stop playing chess because a supercomputer beat the world champion. So why should you stop?

It becomes recreation. It becomes something you do for yourself to get enjoyment out of it.

Quote:
Then again...the average listener doesn't really care if you used this chord generator to come up with your hit song...still kinda weird.
There's no way anyone can detect if those 4 chords in a sequence were generated instead of written down by you yourself, because they've most likely been used already a dozen times.

The average listener cares if it sounds like something they like. As should everyone.
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

I can string any of the thousands of existing chords if I damn well please, what chords would a program suggest and on what basis?????

Like you type in "SAD" and it gives you suggestion for sad chord progressions??? Same thing for "MELODRAMATIC" ????

Give me a ****ing break go play with your goddamn keyboard this is ****ing ridiculous.
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via MSN to wladymeer Send a message via Yahoo to wladymeer Send a message via Skype™ to wladymeer
I don't find this as a bad thing. There is something called creative blockade and actually gadgets like these may aid you in such period. This could enhance your usual way of thinking about chords. And on the other hand, this could spoil you so much that you start mindless composing completely.

So, it's not the program that is bad. People makes it good or bad in this case. And at the end, what's the whole idea? Like we can tell someone made an album with this or without it? Afterall, it's chord generator, not a song & arrangement generator.
My latest videos:
song #1 *new!* |song #2 | song #3 | song #4

http://soundcloud.com/srdjan-brankovic-music/expedition-delta-2011
http://soundcloud.com/lunar-pocket/lunar-pocket-the-sacrament
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ape View Post
Give me a ****ing break go play with your goddamn keyboard this is ****ing ridiculous.
Ever used a brass or violin patch on your synth, or a drum machine?

Why didn't you learn to play the actual instrument?

I look forward to your explanation of why chord generators are "something different".
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Ever used a brass or violin patch on your synth, or a drum machine?

Why didn't you learn to play the actual instrument?

I look forward to your explanation of why chord generators are "something different".
because there are set parameters to the chords it will suggest. Youre basically bottlenecking the possibilities for your melody/chord progression (I say melody but really melody should come first and the chord progression simply support the actual melody)

I dont see how your analogy translates to this though...

And btw if I had the time to learn violin, brass, drums, etc I would but I dont ...
That same argument is not applicable to chord progression "I dont have time to generate chord progressions".....
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

Plus, what is the actual point of chord progression generators?

Isnt it an automation of the task you can do with your brain/fingers? (which in our case the latter performs much better)
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Lives for gear

yeah I understand why people are suspicious of chord generator or palette programs but my personal view is that the most important thing is using your EARS...whether you discover an interesting melody or progression as a result of several years of music theory - or you speed the process up by exploring a pallette of chords - it doesnt matter to me. The issue is creating an emotive and interesting musical result. If you have the TASTE to notice and feel an interesting movement - thats the core of creativity in my view - not whether you have sweated for years in order to own a bunch of theory information.

In fact I applaud someone who wants to use any tool to explore more complex music-rather than settling on the same boring sequences we hear all the time. It can take a long time to learn harmony - why not speed it up a bit if you have interesting ideas to express right away?

Like I said I understand the cynicism but it can be a bit frustrating to read people jumping to conclusions about this type of thing as if its automatically a bad thing...

I use Lives creative chord/scale plugins, Harmony Navigator and others - and it opens up harmonic ideas I'd never have thought of - and taught me a lot on top of what I already knew...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search