Juno 106 & MIDI
New Reply
Subscribe
rystro
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Juno 106 & MIDI

I am looking to buy a Juno 106. Up to this point I have only had experience with soft synths using a USB M-Audio 47-key controller.

If I can find a nice J-106 how does recording with it work regarding using the MIDI?

I have an Apogee Ensemble and use Cubase. How would you plug it in?

I'm assuming I would need a MIDI interface?

Then to get the sound into the computer have 1/4" from the Juno to a preamp?

What would you assign the MIDI track in Cubase to? I'm use to assigning it to a VST instrument... What "instrument" do I assign it?
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Gear maniac

Well, Juno 106 is a good choice if you need midi and a vintage synth. Its midi implementation is quite good.

Dont worry its very easy to set it up.

Lets first start with the midi. Yes, you will need a midi interface. You will connect the midi out of your interface to midi in of Juno, and midi out of juno to midi in on your midi interface. Then you will choose the matching port and channel of midi on your cubase to send and receive the midi. For example If you have connected juno to midi port 1, you will choose midi in and out 1 in cubase(If both midi in and out are on port 1 I generally choose matching ports so I dont confuse myself)
Every midi port has 16 channels under it by the way, but by default your equipment is set on channel one. So you can choose port one, channel one. This is so that you can connect up to 16 equipments with one midi port through daisy chaining your midi devices and choosing different channels for each equipment.

Then you will connect your juno 106 sd audio outs to your ensembles 1/4 in s. This way you can use juno to record midi data and audio data. You can also send midi to juno and record audio data. Whichever you prefer.
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Gear Guru

My Studio

Its MIDI implementation isn't bad but you will not have a velocity-sensitive keyboard. It's also monotimbral; you'll have to record the sound of a single track - then you change the preset (or the sound, whatever you want) and record your second track - but few synths of that time were multitimbral.

An E-mu Xmidi MIDI-USB cable is only like $30 or so and it'll do the job.
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
Well, Juno 106 is a good choice if you need midi and a vintage synth. Its midi implementation is quite good.

Dont worry its very easy to set it up.

Lets first start with the midi. Yes, you will need a midi interface. You will connect the midi out of your interface to midi in of Juno, and midi out of juno to midi in on your midi interface. Then you will choose the matching port and channel of midi on your cubase to send and receive the midi. For example If you have connected juno to midi port 1, you will choose midi in and out 1 in cubase(If both midi in and out are on port 1 I generally choose matching ports so I dont confuse myself)
Every midi port has 16 channels under it by the way, but by default your equipment is set on channel one. So you can choose port one, channel one. This is so that you can connect up to 16 equipments with one midi port through daisy chaining your midi devices and choosing different channels for each equipment.

Then you will connect your juno 106 sd audio outs to your ensembles 1/4 in s. This way you can use juno to record midi data and audio data. You can also send midi to juno and record audio data. Whichever you prefer.
Thanks, very helpful.
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

MIDI is decent - as stated no velocity or aftertouch. the front panel sliders and switches can be sent and recieved as SYSEX (MIDI mode III on rear panel). there is no local off switch so it does not make a good controller.

if you want to do filter sweeps, the cutoff slider will have very noticable steps - the better route is to use the pitch bender with the Cutoff slider set to taste on the left hand bender panel.

Juno 106 was my first synth. i sold her in 2004 and then missed it so i got another one. this one is not nearly as minty as my first was. such is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
The 303/808/909 are the clouds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normie View Post
There is no synth that a suitable application of Eventide cannot improve it's worst traits dramatically.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search