Login / Register

Dave Smith Instruments Tempest
New Reply
Subscribe
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

^^ i agree tempest is actually very versatile in drum sounds, and i think its a beast for hip-hop type drums, the drum samples are really good, probably the best selection i've heard in a drum machine and i've heard them all no joke... there really isn't a drum sound i had in mind i couldn't dial up under a minute in tempest, from the classic linndrum,808,909 kits to ol school & new school hip-hop / house drums...

the thing is DSi products especially tempest is being marketed as a kind of future retro glitch box with analog sounds which i understand is it's selling point as you can really go nuts in sound design & live department like no other thing out there, a lot of the demos and current users are using it for this as well, BUT i've found tempest an incredible tool at more conventional genres such as again hip-hop, house or even pop... tempest being derived from roger linn's mpc / linn series drum machines makes it work and groove wonders on those types, but because of marketing it's being mega slept on atm although i predict it will blow up at some point..
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
^^ i agree tempest is actually very versatile in drum sounds, and i think its a beast for hip-hop type drums, the drum samples are really good, probably the best selection i've heard in a drum machine and i've heard them all no joke... there really isn't a drum sound i had in mind i couldn't dial up under a minute in tempest, from the classic linndrum,808,909 kits to ol school & new school hip-hop / house drums...

the thing is DSi products especially tempest is being marketed as a kind of future retro glitch box with analog sounds which i understand is it's selling point as you can really go nuts in sound design & live department like no other thing out there, a lot of the demos and current users are using it for this as well, BUT i've found tempest an incredible tool at more conventional genres such as again hip-hop, house or even pop... tempest being derived from roger linn's mpc / linn series drum machines makes it work and groove wonders on those types, but because of marketing it's being mega slept on atm although i predict it will blow up at some point..
Exactement! I couldn't have said it better myself...
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post

Exactly,
I bought the tempest, becuz someone stole my Tetra and Sp-555 sampler. Didn't much care for the los of the sampler. But the Tetra, man did I love that thing. Figured buying a six-voice DSI synth with 64 stepsequencer and drumsamples, would be a good replacement for both. And it definitely does what I want it to do, and that is tweaking sound on house groove for hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHg5DGa2BQ
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

Can anyone direct me to where I could get help with this issue? I am having a midi issue with mine and I don't know what to do. I upgraded the OS, and it says everything is the right version in the system menu, but it still won't start when I use my Yamaha RS7000 as the master even though I have the tempest set to slave. I checked the midi cables with all my other drum machines and they are fine and everything works as it normally does. Do I have to do something else to make the Tempest receive midi start messages? Then on top of this i discovered another issue when I hooked up a midi cable to the midi out on the tempest to use it as a master for my echoplex. It causes the audio outs to make a funny oscillating sound almost like a very fast lfo that is faint but clear as hell and very annoying. Is there something wrong with this thing? Help....... please, somebody, I am loving making beats and sounds on this but these issues are making it impossible to use this with my other gear the way i should be able too. Thanks.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner View Post
Can anyone direct me to where I could get help with this issue? I am having a midi issue with mine and I don't know what to do. I upgraded the OS, and it says everything is the right version in the system menu, but it still won't start when I use my Yamaha RS7000 as the master even though I have the tempest set to slave. I checked the midi cables with all my other drum machines and they are fine and everything works as it normally does. Do I have to do something else to make the Tempest receive midi start messages? Then on top of this i discovered another issue when I hooked up a midi cable to the midi out on the tempest to use it as a master for my echoplex. It causes the audio outs to make a funny oscillating sound almost like a very fast lfo that is faint but clear as hell and very annoying. Is there something wrong with this thing? Help....... please, somebody, I am loving making beats and sounds on this but these issues are making it impossible to use this with my other gear the way i should be able too. Thanks.
You might need to look in the system menu and change the 'MIDI Clock' to MIDI cable, (it may be set on USB)
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

Hey man, I really appreciate the reply. I don't see that option at all in the system menu.

I did have luck getting rid of that weird ground loop kind of sounding (oscillating) noise. It was really weird but it caused my system to do this even when the audio out cable on the Tempest wasn't actually even plugged into the effects chain that I had it going into (mostly MoogerFoogers and electro harmonix pedals), only when the midi out on the tempest was plugged into either my midi thru splitter box or directly into the echoplex. Basically, I got rid of the noise by unhooking the effects chain from my mixer and putting the Tempest directly into the mixer (I'll have to test out the effects chain on its on own pedal by pedal and see what happens). I have never encountered such a thing. Maybe someone can give me some insight into how this happens. I am currently trying to research it. I gues I should mention that the mixer and the echoplex are both bolted to a metal rack (just mentioning this because I have heard that equipment mounted to metal racks can cause ground loops).

So I got the Echoplex synced now to the Tempest using the Tempest as Master, but unfortunately it will not sync when the Tempest is going into my Midi Thru 4-way Splitter (for some reason i guess it is not sending midi clock through the box, but I have never had a problem with the midi thru splitter not sending midi clock when i have traditionally used the RS7000 as a master to sync drum machines and loopers), which means I can't sync multiple machines now and that is a bummer because I use another synced looper and some other synced equipment. I am next going to try hooking up the midi thru splitter to the midi thru on the echoplex and hope that will send midi clock to my other devices.

Don't get me wrong I love the Tempest so far in terms of creating sounds and beats. It is sick! But i have never had so much trouble with any other device when it comes to syncing with midi. I about pulled my hair out yesterday and on top of that, going back and forth rapidly trying to solve the problem i inadvertently knocked my micron of the stand and it won't power up, which I am hoping was just the fact that the adaptor bent at where it plugs into the synth and not something wrong inside the synth (yes, looking for some sympathy lol, cuz I about cried last night when all this happened LOL). About to to head up to guitar center to try and get a new adaptor. Just stressed because I am trying to prepare for a very important rehearsal in which i need all my stuff to work properly and all my sounds etc are on that dam Micron ughhhhh!!!! Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated, and yes, please cross your fingers for me (come on Micron....... Pleeeeeeeease just be a damaged adaptor LMFAO). Thanks again!
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner View Post
Via a board member at DSI / Prophet Forum :: Index, I can tell you that syncing the tempest to the echoplex does not work at this time.

Midi functionality is still a work in progress.
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Gear addict

Hi,

About syncing the Tempest to Logic via MIDI Clock: it's pretty poor timing (my MPC seems to be better in this regard), and, more importantly, it seems to ruin the feel of it...does anyone have any ideas about this? Is the only solution to record the Tempest synced internally and then beat map everything to it...this is a bit of a PITA!
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilision View Post
Hi,

About syncing the Tempest to Logic via MIDI Clock: it's pretty poor timing (my MPC seems to be better in this regard), and, more importantly, it seems to ruin the feel of it...does anyone have any ideas about this? Is the only solution to record the Tempest synced internally and then beat map everything to it...this is a bit of a PITA!
There are still issues with sync it seems, but why complicate matters? Just play your tempest, record the audio and chop it up. No more sync problems.

10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Logic 9 and tempest are super tightly synced here with tempest slaved to logics midi clock over USB. Way tighter than my mpc 1000.
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly View Post
There are still issues with sync it seems, but why complicate matters? Just play your tempest, record the audio and chop it up. No more sync problems.

Yeah but that's a lot of hassle too if I'm recording an improvisation that's continuous...like a couple of minutes or whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Logic 9 and tempest are super tightly synced here with tempest slaved to logics midi clock over USB. Way tighter than my mpc 1000.
Ah, I'm using MIDI via an MT4...maybe that's why. I was thinking I might have to buy a Sync Gen (though their website is really tacky and it's all over the place, I couldn't bring myself to read into any of it...). What OS do I need for MIDI over USB?
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah but that's a lot of hassle too if I'm recording an improvisation that's continuous...like a couple of minutes or whatever...

Ah, I'm using MIDI via an MT4...maybe that's why. I was thinking I might have to buy a Sync Gen (though their website is really tacky and it's all over the place, I couldn't bring myself to read into any of it...). What OS do I need for MIDI over USB?
Yeah midi over normal cables isnt as tight as USB..just grab the latest OS and that has USB midi working..though it worked a few OS versions back..The sync gen is an amazing product btw..
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Yeah midi over normal cables isnt as tight as USB..just grab the latest OS and that has USB midi working..though it worked a few OS versions back..The sync gen is an amazing product btw..
I thought midi generally is tighter than usb.Maybe sync is different...
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:

Hey Emilision - we (make that I) update and maintain the Innerclock Systems Web so I take full responsibility for the content and format in all it's glory... I'm no HTML code Guru (two kids, a full time job, weekend mixing work plus Innerclock Systems and that makes Dreamweaver and WordPress about all I have time for these days... We have looked at outsourcing the site a few times but it always comes down to how quickly and easy it is for us to make changes as we grow - which always comes down to me at 4am usually... Feel free to email me with any specific Sync-Gen II questions anytime - best regards - David email: david@innerclocksystems.com
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Banned

The website looks fine to me man.
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
Lives for gear

Really loving the Tempest here but I have one problem. Could someone guide me on how to setup the tempest syncing to Pro Tools 10? I have managed to get it somewhat synced as slave but I have to restart the Tempest a lot since it loses start/stop when I load a different sound/project etc on the Tempest or change any settings in Pro Tools.

What is the correct way to set it up in Pro Tools? MMC, Beat Clock, offset, etc etc. Im using the midi port, haven't tried USB.

Would really appreciate any help here.

Pro Tools 10, Duet 2, Ploytec midicable/interface.

Best Regards,
Carl-Johan
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenerlov View Post
Really loving the Tempest here but I have one problem. Could someone guide me on how to setup the tempest syncing to Pro Tools 10? I have managed to get it somewhat synced as slave but I have to restart the Tempest a lot since it loses start/stop when I load a different sound/project etc on the Tempest or change any settings in Pro Tools.

What is the correct way to set it up in Pro Tools? MMC, Beat Clock, offset, etc etc. Im using the midi port, haven't tried USB.

Would really appreciate any help here.

Pro Tools 10, Duet 2, Ploytec midicable/interface.

Best Regards,
Carl-Johan
tjena Carl-Johan!

beat-clock är den korrekta sync-källan du ska använda.. du bör spara nån typ av start-up song i PT när du fått till syncen som du vill ha.. offsetten kan du ju tweaka tills du får den i exakt samma tempo som PT, gör ett klick-track i PT men nåt högt pitchat ljud typ en bassdrum som du pitchat upp.. eller metronomen.. om Tempest har metronome...?? sätt på den samtidigt och tweaka midi eller audio offsetten tills dom låter som ett enda ljud.. spara projektet som start-up låt.. klart!
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by midihooker View Post
tjena Carl-Johan!

beat-clock är den korrekta sync-källan du ska använda.. du bör spara nån typ av start-up song i PT när du fått till syncen som du vill ha.. offsetten kan du ju tweaka tills du får den i exakt samma tempo som PT, gör ett klick-track i PT men nåt högt pitchat ljud typ en bassdrum som du pitchat upp.. eller metronomen.. om Tempest har metronome...?? sätt på den samtidigt och tweaka midi eller audio offsetten tills dom låter som ett enda ljud.. spara projektet som start-up låt.. klart!
spara åxå i tempest när du ställt in den som slave.. tempest ska vara slave å PT master..
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Lives for acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgeno View Post
The website looks fine to me man.
Same! I love all of the philosophical ranting about electronics <3 I often have a read when I'm bored.

Another thing I believe in is repetition.
"Repetition is a form of change" - Oblique Strategies
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
I am not into menus, I don't consider a piece of gear with menus or a display to be a real instrument, just my opinion, not baiting anyone. But I am interested in the Tempest. I usually like acoustic drums, but need some beats to mess with for ideas and maybe some recording.

The problem is, that thing looks complicated, and I am never satisfied unless I know the ins and outs of an instrument by heart. It took me more than 2 years to master a model D, and I still getting new glorious new sounds out of it because I took that much time with it. But the Tempest looks like years of tweaking before I get what I want out of it, especially because I am not really familiar with drum machines or sequencers. But I know analog synthesis pretty well, and learn fast. Are my concerns valid?
mmm the road can be longer for some, but I'd be lying if I'd say I or anyone would've mastered the art fully in two years. So, don't despair, it's part of a growth progress, the more you know, and find out the more things you'll discover, and the more fun it can be.
Everyone's different, that's why it's a good thing to really look for instruments that suit your particular way of thinking and playing. Dave Smith has a history of making instruments that are accessable and that make sense, in a musical way. I don't own a Tempest, but I'd say, from a distance, you could do much worse in that respect (accessable).
Also consider that once you've grasped the basic idea of synthesis, and of how sounds can be played and have an order in a music piece, that basic idea is also valid for other instruments: What you've learned with your Model D, you can put to use with the Tempest, or any other synth/drum machine.

What you need to figure out is what you need, to make music (no menus), and come up with a plan how to achieve that, using specific instruments. never buy anything because it's the cool thing of the month, always try to find out how these things work, how the controls are laid out etc.. Check the manual, then compare to other machines.
That Tempest is nice looking though, it's menus/screen are there to cram as much function in there that you could need. HOW you adress those functions is what makes it easier or not, not the particular fact that there are menus in the first place. I used to think I'd never get anything with a menu, I hated my Akai S2000 for that, but now, I've changed my mind a bit. Some machines have menus, screens, deeper functions, but are still easy to work on, and make music.
Your call.

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
I am not into menus, I don't consider a piece of gear with menus or a display to be a real instrument, just my opinion, not baiting anyone. But I am interested in the Tempest. I usually like acoustic drums, but need some beats to mess with for ideas and maybe some recording.

The problem is, that thing looks complicated, and I am never satisfied unless I know the ins and outs of an instrument by heart. It took me more than 2 years to master a model D, and I still getting new glorious new sounds out of it because I took that much time with it. But the Tempest looks like years of tweaking before I get what I want out of it, especially because I am not really familiar with drum machines or sequencers. But I know analog synthesis pretty well, and learn fast. Are my concerns valid?
Valid concerns, I opted for an octatrack and vermona drm1, this way I only had to learn one OS/workflow not two, and I like the analog drum sounds on the vermona better. While the tempest is an incredibly unique and innovative instrument, I opted for analog synths that were sonically attuned to my taste and a sampler instead.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

The menu is just a convient way of displaying data. Even the classic machines have different modes they just use knobs and leds and shift buttons instead of a nice compact menu. Tempest is pretty intuitive to wrap your head around, in large part, thanks to that menu. It's probably the first drum machine I didn't need to read the manual to get going with.
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

@bebopcola to each his own, however concerning menu diving, the octatrack is i find one of the most complicated OS's out there, even for someone like me whose been using elektron gear for years, you need to remember different key combinations to access important functions.. it's a fantastic sampler/sequencer but i would never recommend it to someone allergic to menus! the tempest i find is laid out incredibly well with mostly just one button push per page, something i believe is part of roger linn's philosophy since the MPC60 days. I also love the fact that the OLED display gives you info on what are on the pads (beat names,sounds) this limits guesswork like its been on almost every other drum machine. That being said, Tempest is a deep instrument, definitely not the easiest to get started on especially if you are new to electronic instruments (i'm assuming unfiltered420 comes form an acoustic background) and if it took 2 years to figure out a Minimoog (arguably the simplest of all synthesizers) perhaps something like a Jomox or a DMX/Drumtraks would better suit his needs.. although even on those you probably have even the most basic of menus. wait come to think of it, the only drum machines i can think of right now with no menus or displays would be the very first 70's/80's rolands CR-78/8000, TR606 & TR808. Korg had some also in the 70's. no MIDI of course but i'm assuming that is foreign territory, so perhaps consider these, would go well too with the minimoog! or else for somehting new vermona + analog step sequencer ?
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

new tempest guy here

Hi, I'm new here at gearslutz, this is my first message.

I got my tempest 7 days ago, and have had some really fun times tweaking and exploring. Now I just connected the tempest midi out to my fantom g8 midi in: When I hit the tempest pads in sound mode i can trigger the drum sounds in my g8 arx drum extension kit, but what i really would like to hear is - the tempest 16 beat mode triggering the drum sounds with the tempest sequences.
Is that possible? I hope somebody can give some "help on the way."
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostperfectbro View Post
Hi, I'm new here at gearslutz, this is my first message.

I got my tempest 7 days ago, and have had some really fun times tweaking and exploring. Now I just connected the tempest midi out to my fantom g8 midi in: When I hit the tempest pads in sound mode i can trigger the drum sounds in my g8 arx drum extension kit, but what i really would like to hear is - the tempest 16 beat mode triggering the drum sounds with the tempest sequences.
Is that possible? I hope somebody can give some "help on the way."
Yeah, I'm in a similar boat. I was told that the MIDI out functionality of the Tempest has not been fully implemented. I wanted to simply have the Tempest transmit MIDI clock from the MIDI out port but have not been able to get this to work with OS 1.1.
Pym
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
Gear addict

In the system menu, set 'MIDI: Clock Mode' to master. In later OS updates you need to set 'MIDI:Clock Out Cable' to MIDI Port or MIDI+USB since it can be routed to either or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post
Yeah, I'm in a similar boat. I was told that the MIDI out functionality of the Tempest has not been fully implemented. I wanted to simply have the Tempest transmit MIDI clock from the MIDI out port but have not been able to get this to work with OS 1.1.

https://soundcloud.com/iampym/the-mermaid
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym View Post
In the system menu, set 'MIDI: Clock Mode' to master. In later OS updates you need to set 'MIDI:Clock Out Cable' to MIDI Port or MIDI+USB since it can be routed to either or both.
Thanks for the tip! I had been setting it to slave sync mode, guess that explains it, and now that frees up another port on my MOTU interface. Although just to be clear, I am looking for the Tempest to transmit the MIDI clock signal that it is receiving from my DAW, and not it's own MIDI clock. Is this still the solution?

Hey, while I have you here Chris, I am still at the official DSI OS of 1.1, as posted on the DSI Tempest Support Page. Should I upgrade at this point or wait a bit for what's around the corner?

Thanks!
Pym
21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Gear addict

If you want to retransmit the MIDI clock that you are receiving from your DAW you would want to be in 'Slave Thru' mode, not Master. In this mode it will also be retransmitting transport messages: Start, Stop, Continue and SPP

I'm updating rather constantly on the dsiforum.org Tempest forum, you can always check there if you're itching for new stuff. We should have a 1.2 release candidate on the main site within the next week or two with a lot of new features; I believe all of them except Play List and the full MIDI implementation which should be just around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post
Thanks for the tip! I had been setting it to slave sync mode, guess that explains it, and now that frees up another port on my MOTU interface. Although just to be clear, I am looking for the Tempest to transmit the MIDI clock signal that it is receiving from my DAW, and not it's own MIDI clock. Is this still the solution?

Hey, while I have you here Chris, I am still at the official DSI OS of 1.1, as posted on the DSI Tempest Support Page. Should I upgrade at this point or wait a bit for what's around the corner?

Thanks!
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear nut

Well, pulled the trigger, arrives tomo.
23rd March 2012
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear nut

Im not seeing the CC controllers in the manual. Where can I get that chart at? I am wanting to control the pitch knob via CC.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search