Dave Smith Instruments Tempest
#2161
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
  #2161
Lives for gear
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: San Mateo CA
Posts: 2,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikiGhost View Post
The German sites do seem to have an issue with the Tempest. This is the second overly negative review I've seen from a German site. Are NI paying for these reviews or something?
Say what you like about those Deutschlanders, but judging from their demo tracks they're the only people (including the developers) who actually "get" the Tempest. I had written it off as "not for me" and happily continued using Tremor... (which is pretty awesome, but I digress) but this demo. It made me realize that DSI got it all wrong. The stuff out there too tame. Call me crazy, but too drum synth like. What seems to be the best and most well thought out part of the Tempest is it's sound engine which seems to be really good for doing odd and interesting synth sounds with tonality. The standard drum sounds are "meh" IMO.

I can see why they gave it a negative review though, as with so many basic functions missing at release, it would be hard to overlook it. You can't say you're building the text generation of drum machine and then miss out on things like MIDI sync without getting knocks form reviewers.
#2162
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
  #2162
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
It made me realize that DSI got it all wrong. The stuff out there too tame. Call me crazy, but too drum synth like. What seems to be the best and most well thought out part of the Tempest is it's sound engine which seems to be really good for doing odd and interesting synth sounds with tonality. The standard drum sounds are "meh" IMO.
Not sure I agree re: the sounds produced by the Tempest. In addition to the 'out there'-type sounds, I have really enjoyed the more realistic sounds that the Tempest makes. In fact, I've been using a lot of those sounds to make some really penetrating hip-hop and pop-style drums. I don't know another piece of equipment that can do this sort of deep drum synth double-duty (or believe me, I'd own it )
#2163
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
  #2163
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,118

^^ i agree tempest is actually very versatile in drum sounds, and i think its a beast for hip-hop type drums, the drum samples are really good, probably the best selection i've heard in a drum machine and i've heard them all no joke... there really isn't a drum sound i had in mind i couldn't dial up under a minute in tempest, from the classic linndrum,808,909 kits to ol school & new school hip-hop / house drums...

the thing is DSi products especially tempest is being marketed as a kind of future retro glitch box with analog sounds which i understand is it's selling point as you can really go nuts in sound design & live department like no other thing out there, a lot of the demos and current users are using it for this as well, BUT i've found tempest an incredible tool at more conventional genres such as again hip-hop, house or even pop... tempest being derived from roger linn's mpc / linn series drum machines makes it work and groove wonders on those types, but because of marketing it's being mega slept on atm although i predict it will blow up at some point..
#2164
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
  #2164
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
^^ i agree tempest is actually very versatile in drum sounds, and i think its a beast for hip-hop type drums, the drum samples are really good, probably the best selection i've heard in a drum machine and i've heard them all no joke... there really isn't a drum sound i had in mind i couldn't dial up under a minute in tempest, from the classic linndrum,808,909 kits to ol school & new school hip-hop / house drums...

the thing is DSi products especially tempest is being marketed as a kind of future retro glitch box with analog sounds which i understand is it's selling point as you can really go nuts in sound design & live department like no other thing out there, a lot of the demos and current users are using it for this as well, BUT i've found tempest an incredible tool at more conventional genres such as again hip-hop, house or even pop... tempest being derived from roger linn's mpc / linn series drum machines makes it work and groove wonders on those types, but because of marketing it's being mega slept on atm although i predict it will blow up at some point..
Exactement! I couldn't have said it better myself...
#2165
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
  #2165
Gear interested
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
^^ i agree tempest is actually very versatile in drum sounds, and i think its a beast for hip-hop type drums, the drum samples are really good, probably the best selection i've heard in a drum machine and i've heard them all no joke... there really isn't a drum sound i had in mind i couldn't dial up under a minute in tempest, from the classic linndrum,808,909 kits to ol school & new school hip-hop / house drums...

the thing is DSi products especially tempest is being marketed as a kind of future retro glitch box with analog sounds which i understand is it's selling point as you can really go nuts in sound design & live department like no other thing out there, a lot of the demos and current users are using it for this as well, BUT i've found tempest an incredible tool at more conventional genres such as again hip-hop, house or even pop... tempest being derived from roger linn's mpc / linn series drum machines makes it work and groove wonders on those types, but because of marketing it's being mega slept on atm although i predict it will blow up at some point..
Exactly,
I bought the tempest, becuz someone stole my Tetra and Sp-555 sampler. Didn't much care for the los of the sampler. But the Tetra, man did I love that thing. Figured buying a six-voice DSI synth with 64 stepsequencer and drumsamples, would be a good replacement for both. And it definitely does what I want it to do, and that is tweaking sound on house groove for hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHg5DGa2BQ
#2166
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
  #2166
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 3

Can anyone direct me to where I could get help with this issue? I am having a midi issue with mine and I don't know what to do. I upgraded the OS, and it says everything is the right version in the system menu, but it still won't start when I use my Yamaha RS7000 as the master even though I have the tempest set to slave. I checked the midi cables with all my other drum machines and they are fine and everything works as it normally does. Do I have to do something else to make the Tempest receive midi start messages? Then on top of this i discovered another issue when I hooked up a midi cable to the midi out on the tempest to use it as a master for my echoplex. It causes the audio outs to make a funny oscillating sound almost like a very fast lfo that is faint but clear as hell and very annoying. Is there something wrong with this thing? Help....... please, somebody, I am loving making beats and sounds on this but these issues are making it impossible to use this with my other gear the way i should be able too. Thanks.
#2167
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
  #2167
Gear maniac
 
Puzzlegob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner View Post
Can anyone direct me to where I could get help with this issue? I am having a midi issue with mine and I don't know what to do. I upgraded the OS, and it says everything is the right version in the system menu, but it still won't start when I use my Yamaha RS7000 as the master even though I have the tempest set to slave. I checked the midi cables with all my other drum machines and they are fine and everything works as it normally does. Do I have to do something else to make the Tempest receive midi start messages? Then on top of this i discovered another issue when I hooked up a midi cable to the midi out on the tempest to use it as a master for my echoplex. It causes the audio outs to make a funny oscillating sound almost like a very fast lfo that is faint but clear as hell and very annoying. Is there something wrong with this thing? Help....... please, somebody, I am loving making beats and sounds on this but these issues are making it impossible to use this with my other gear the way i should be able too. Thanks.
You might need to look in the system menu and change the 'MIDI Clock' to MIDI cable, (it may be set on USB)
#2168
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
  #2168
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 3

Hey man, I really appreciate the reply. I don't see that option at all in the system menu.

I did have luck getting rid of that weird ground loop kind of sounding (oscillating) noise. It was really weird but it caused my system to do this even when the audio out cable on the Tempest wasn't actually even plugged into the effects chain that I had it going into (mostly MoogerFoogers and electro harmonix pedals), only when the midi out on the tempest was plugged into either my midi thru splitter box or directly into the echoplex. Basically, I got rid of the noise by unhooking the effects chain from my mixer and putting the Tempest directly into the mixer (I'll have to test out the effects chain on its on own pedal by pedal and see what happens). I have never encountered such a thing. Maybe someone can give me some insight into how this happens. I am currently trying to research it. I gues I should mention that the mixer and the echoplex are both bolted to a metal rack (just mentioning this because I have heard that equipment mounted to metal racks can cause ground loops).

So I got the Echoplex synced now to the Tempest using the Tempest as Master, but unfortunately it will not sync when the Tempest is going into my Midi Thru 4-way Splitter (for some reason i guess it is not sending midi clock through the box, but I have never had a problem with the midi thru splitter not sending midi clock when i have traditionally used the RS7000 as a master to sync drum machines and loopers), which means I can't sync multiple machines now and that is a bummer because I use another synced looper and some other synced equipment. I am next going to try hooking up the midi thru splitter to the midi thru on the echoplex and hope that will send midi clock to my other devices.

Don't get me wrong I love the Tempest so far in terms of creating sounds and beats. It is sick! But i have never had so much trouble with any other device when it comes to syncing with midi. I about pulled my hair out yesterday and on top of that, going back and forth rapidly trying to solve the problem i inadvertently knocked my micron of the stand and it won't power up, which I am hoping was just the fact that the adaptor bent at where it plugs into the synth and not something wrong inside the synth (yes, looking for some sympathy lol, cuz I about cried last night when all this happened LOL). About to to head up to guitar center to try and get a new adaptor. Just stressed because I am trying to prepare for a very important rehearsal in which i need all my stuff to work properly and all my sounds etc are on that dam Micron ughhhhh!!!! Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated, and yes, please cross your fingers for me (come on Micron....... Pleeeeeeeease just be a damaged adaptor LMFAO). Thanks again!
#2169
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
  #2169
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner View Post
Can anyone direct me to where I could get help with this issue? I am having a midi issue with mine and I don't know what to do. I upgraded the OS, and it says everything is the right version in the system menu, but it still won't start when I use my Yamaha RS7000 as the master even though I have the tempest set to slave. I checked the midi cables with all my other drum machines and they are fine and everything works as it normally does. Do I have to do something else to make the Tempest receive midi start messages? Then on top of this i discovered another issue when I hooked up a midi cable to the midi out on the tempest to use it as a master for my echoplex. It causes the audio outs to make a funny oscillating sound almost like a very fast lfo that is faint but clear as hell and very annoying. Is there something wrong with this thing? Help....... please, somebody, I am loving making beats and sounds on this but these issues are making it impossible to use this with my other gear the way i should be able too. Thanks.
Via a board member at DSI / Prophet Forum :: Index, I can tell you that syncing the tempest to the echoplex does not work at this time.

Midi functionality is still a work in progress.
#2170
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
  #2170
Gear addict
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Eurasia.
Posts: 314

Hi,

About syncing the Tempest to Logic via MIDI Clock: it's pretty poor timing (my MPC seems to be better in this regard), and, more importantly, it seems to ruin the feel of it...does anyone have any ideas about this? Is the only solution to record the Tempest synced internally and then beat map everything to it...this is a bit of a PITA!
#2171
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
  #2171
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilision View Post
Hi,

About syncing the Tempest to Logic via MIDI Clock: it's pretty poor timing (my MPC seems to be better in this regard), and, more importantly, it seems to ruin the feel of it...does anyone have any ideas about this? Is the only solution to record the Tempest synced internally and then beat map everything to it...this is a bit of a PITA!
There are still issues with sync it seems, but why complicate matters? Just play your tempest, record the audio and chop it up. No more sync problems.

#2172
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
  #2172
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,944

Logic 9 and tempest are super tightly synced here with tempest slaved to logics midi clock over USB. Way tighter than my mpc 1000.
#2173
10th March 2012
Old 10th March 2012
  #2173
Gear addict
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Eurasia.
Posts: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarlywarly View Post
There are still issues with sync it seems, but why complicate matters? Just play your tempest, record the audio and chop it up. No more sync problems.

Yeah but that's a lot of hassle too if I'm recording an improvisation that's continuous...like a couple of minutes or whatever...


Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Logic 9 and tempest are super tightly synced here with tempest slaved to logics midi clock over USB. Way tighter than my mpc 1000.
Ah, I'm using MIDI via an MT4...maybe that's why. I was thinking I might have to buy a Sync Gen (though their website is really tacky and it's all over the place, I couldn't bring myself to read into any of it...). What OS do I need for MIDI over USB?
#2174
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
  #2174
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilision View Post
Yeah but that's a lot of hassle too if I'm recording an improvisation that's continuous...like a couple of minutes or whatever...




Ah, I'm using MIDI via an MT4...maybe that's why. I was thinking I might have to buy a Sync Gen (though their website is really tacky and it's all over the place, I couldn't bring myself to read into any of it...). What OS do I need for MIDI over USB?
Yeah midi over normal cables isnt as tight as USB..just grab the latest OS and that has USB midi working..though it worked a few OS versions back..The sync gen is an amazing product btw..
#2175
11th March 2012
Old 11th March 2012
  #2175
Lives for gear
 
Goa-Dubs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 3,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Yeah midi over normal cables isnt as tight as USB..just grab the latest OS and that has USB midi working..though it worked a few OS versions back..The sync gen is an amazing product btw..
I thought midi generally is tighter than usb.Maybe sync is different...
#2176
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
  #2176
Gear maniac
 
innerclock's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilision View Post
Yeah but that's a lot of hassle too if I'm recording an improvisation that's continuous...like a couple of minutes or whatever...




Ah, I'm using MIDI via an MT4...maybe that's why. I was thinking I might have to buy a Sync Gen (though their website is really tacky and it's all over the place, I couldn't bring myself to read into any of it...). What OS do I need for MIDI over USB?
Hey Emilision - we (make that I) update and maintain the Innerclock Systems Web so I take full responsibility for the content and format in all it's glory... I'm no HTML code Guru (two kids, a full time job, weekend mixing work plus Innerclock Systems and that makes Dreamweaver and WordPress about all I have time for these days... We have looked at outsourcing the site a few times but it always comes down to how quickly and easy it is for us to make changes as we grow - which always comes down to me at 4am usually... Feel free to email me with any specific Sync-Gen II questions anytime - best regards - David email: david@innerclocksystems.com
#2177
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
  #2177
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 607

The website looks fine to me man.
#2178
16th March 2012
Old 16th March 2012
  #2178
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 592

Really loving the Tempest here but I have one problem. Could someone guide me on how to setup the tempest syncing to Pro Tools 10? I have managed to get it somewhat synced as slave but I have to restart the Tempest a lot since it loses start/stop when I load a different sound/project etc on the Tempest or change any settings in Pro Tools.

What is the correct way to set it up in Pro Tools? MMC, Beat Clock, offset, etc etc. Im using the midi port, haven't tried USB.

Would really appreciate any help here.

Pro Tools 10, Duet 2, Ploytec midicable/interface.

Best Regards,
Carl-Johan
#2179
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
  #2179
Gear maniac
 
midihooker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenerlov View Post
Really loving the Tempest here but I have one problem. Could someone guide me on how to setup the tempest syncing to Pro Tools 10? I have managed to get it somewhat synced as slave but I have to restart the Tempest a lot since it loses start/stop when I load a different sound/project etc on the Tempest or change any settings in Pro Tools.

What is the correct way to set it up in Pro Tools? MMC, Beat Clock, offset, etc etc. Im using the midi port, haven't tried USB.

Would really appreciate any help here.

Pro Tools 10, Duet 2, Ploytec midicable/interface.

Best Regards,
Carl-Johan
tjena Carl-Johan!

beat-clock är den korrekta sync-källan du ska använda.. du bör spara nån typ av start-up song i PT när du fått till syncen som du vill ha.. offsetten kan du ju tweaka tills du får den i exakt samma tempo som PT, gör ett klick-track i PT men nåt högt pitchat ljud typ en bassdrum som du pitchat upp.. eller metronomen.. om Tempest har metronome...?? sätt på den samtidigt och tweaka midi eller audio offsetten tills dom låter som ett enda ljud.. spara projektet som start-up låt.. klart!
#2180
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
  #2180
Gear maniac
 
midihooker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by midihooker View Post
tjena Carl-Johan!

beat-clock är den korrekta sync-källan du ska använda.. du bör spara nån typ av start-up song i PT när du fått till syncen som du vill ha.. offsetten kan du ju tweaka tills du får den i exakt samma tempo som PT, gör ett klick-track i PT men nåt högt pitchat ljud typ en bassdrum som du pitchat upp.. eller metronomen.. om Tempest har metronome...?? sätt på den samtidigt och tweaka midi eller audio offsetten tills dom låter som ett enda ljud.. spara projektet som start-up låt.. klart!
spara åxå i tempest när du ställt in den som slave.. tempest ska vara slave å PT master..
#2181
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
  #2181
Lives for acid
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Me!bourne, Australia
Posts: 2,103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgeno View Post
The website looks fine to me man.
Same! I love all of the philosophical ranting about electronics <3 I often have a read when I'm bored.
#2182
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #2182
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,526

Tempest

I am not into menus, I don't consider a piece of gear with menus or a display to be a real instrument, just my opinion, not baiting anyone. But I am interested in the Tempest. I usually like acoustic drums, but need some beats to mess with for ideas and maybe some recording.

The problem is, that thing looks complicated, and I am never satisfied unless I know the ins and outs of an instrument by heart. It took me more than 2 years to master a model D, and I still getting new glorious new sounds out of it because I took that much time with it. But the Tempest looks like years of tweaking before I get what I want out of it, especially because I am not really familiar with drum machines or sequencers. But I know analog synthesis pretty well, and learn fast. Are my concerns valid?
#2183
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #2183
Moderator
 
Reptil's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: in a low orbit
Posts: 21,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
I am not into menus, I don't consider a piece of gear with menus or a display to be a real instrument, just my opinion, not baiting anyone. But I am interested in the Tempest. I usually like acoustic drums, but need some beats to mess with for ideas and maybe some recording.

The problem is, that thing looks complicated, and I am never satisfied unless I know the ins and outs of an instrument by heart. It took me more than 2 years to master a model D, and I still getting new glorious new sounds out of it because I took that much time with it. But the Tempest looks like years of tweaking before I get what I want out of it, especially because I am not really familiar with drum machines or sequencers. But I know analog synthesis pretty well, and learn fast. Are my concerns valid?
mmm the road can be longer for some, but I'd be lying if I'd say I or anyone would've mastered the art fully in two years. So, don't despair, it's part of a growth progress, the more you know, and find out the more things you'll discover, and the more fun it can be.
Everyone's different, that's why it's a good thing to really look for instruments that suit your particular way of thinking and playing. Dave Smith has a history of making instruments that are accessable and that make sense, in a musical way. I don't own a Tempest, but I'd say, from a distance, you could do much worse in that respect (accessable).
Also consider that once you've grasped the basic idea of synthesis, and of how sounds can be played and have an order in a music piece, that basic idea is also valid for other instruments: What you've learned with your Model D, you can put to use with the Tempest, or any other synth/drum machine.

What you need to figure out is what you need, to make music (no menus), and come up with a plan how to achieve that, using specific instruments. never buy anything because it's the cool thing of the month, always try to find out how these things work, how the controls are laid out etc.. Check the manual, then compare to other machines.
That Tempest is nice looking though, it's menus/screen are there to cram as much function in there that you could need. HOW you adress those functions is what makes it easier or not, not the particular fact that there are menus in the first place. I used to think I'd never get anything with a menu, I hated my Akai S2000 for that, but now, I've changed my mind a bit. Some machines have menus, screens, deeper functions, but are still easy to work on, and make music.
Your call.
#2184
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #2184
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
I am not into menus, I don't consider a piece of gear with menus or a display to be a real instrument, just my opinion, not baiting anyone. But I am interested in the Tempest. I usually like acoustic drums, but need some beats to mess with for ideas and maybe some recording.

The problem is, that thing looks complicated, and I am never satisfied unless I know the ins and outs of an instrument by heart. It took me more than 2 years to master a model D, and I still getting new glorious new sounds out of it because I took that much time with it. But the Tempest looks like years of tweaking before I get what I want out of it, especially because I am not really familiar with drum machines or sequencers. But I know analog synthesis pretty well, and learn fast. Are my concerns valid?
Valid concerns, I opted for an octatrack and vermona drm1, this way I only had to learn one OS/workflow not two, and I like the analog drum sounds on the vermona better. While the tempest is an incredibly unique and innovative instrument, I opted for analog synths that were sonically attuned to my taste and a sampler instead.
#2185
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #2185
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 563

The menu is just a convient way of displaying data. Even the classic machines have different modes they just use knobs and leds and shift buttons instead of a nice compact menu. Tempest is pretty intuitive to wrap your head around, in large part, thanks to that menu. It's probably the first drum machine I didn't need to read the manual to get going with.
#2186
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #2186
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,118

@bebopcola to each his own, however concerning menu diving, the octatrack is i find one of the most complicated OS's out there, even for someone like me whose been using elektron gear for years, you need to remember different key combinations to access important functions.. it's a fantastic sampler/sequencer but i would never recommend it to someone allergic to menus! the tempest i find is laid out incredibly well with mostly just one button push per page, something i believe is part of roger linn's philosophy since the MPC60 days. I also love the fact that the OLED display gives you info on what are on the pads (beat names,sounds) this limits guesswork like its been on almost every other drum machine. That being said, Tempest is a deep instrument, definitely not the easiest to get started on especially if you are new to electronic instruments (i'm assuming unfiltered420 comes form an acoustic background) and if it took 2 years to figure out a Minimoog (arguably the simplest of all synthesizers) perhaps something like a Jomox or a DMX/Drumtraks would better suit his needs.. although even on those you probably have even the most basic of menus. wait come to think of it, the only drum machines i can think of right now with no menus or displays would be the very first 70's/80's rolands CR-78/8000, TR606 & TR808. Korg had some also in the 70's. no MIDI of course but i'm assuming that is foreign territory, so perhaps consider these, would go well too with the minimoog! or else for somehting new vermona + analog step sequencer ?
#2187
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #2187
Gear interested
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1

new tempest guy here

Hi, I'm new here at gearslutz, this is my first message.

I got my tempest 7 days ago, and have had some really fun times tweaking and exploring. Now I just connected the tempest midi out to my fantom g8 midi in: When I hit the tempest pads in sound mode i can trigger the drum sounds in my g8 arx drum extension kit, but what i really would like to hear is - the tempest 16 beat mode triggering the drum sounds with the tempest sequences.
Is that possible? I hope somebody can give some "help on the way."
#2188
19th March 2012
Old 19th March 2012
  #2188
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,526

It didn't take me that long to figure out, just to master. It has many continuous knob settings, so there are basically infinite possibilities. I just took the time to learn the instrument through and through because it is something that was worth it to me. I figured out the functions of the synth in a couple days, how to use them in a couple months, and how to make amazing sounds in a couple years. And I say I have mastered it, but no one can really master any instrument in a couple of years, it takes a lifetime of practice. Anyone with an even basic modular system can know perfectly all the functions but there is no way they can know all the possibilities of it.
#2189
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
  #2189
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostperfectbro View Post
Hi, I'm new here at gearslutz, this is my first message.

I got my tempest 7 days ago, and have had some really fun times tweaking and exploring. Now I just connected the tempest midi out to my fantom g8 midi in: When I hit the tempest pads in sound mode i can trigger the drum sounds in my g8 arx drum extension kit, but what i really would like to hear is - the tempest 16 beat mode triggering the drum sounds with the tempest sequences.
Is that possible? I hope somebody can give some "help on the way."
Yeah, I'm in a similar boat. I was told that the MIDI out functionality of the Tempest has not been fully implemented. I wanted to simply have the Tempest transmit MIDI clock from the MIDI out port but have not been able to get this to work with OS 1.1.
Pym
Thread Starter
#2190
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
  #2190
Gear addict
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 491

Thread Starter
In the system menu, set 'MIDI: Clock Mode' to master. In later OS updates you need to set 'MIDI:Clock Out Cable' to MIDI Port or MIDI+USB since it can be routed to either or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post
Yeah, I'm in a similar boat. I was told that the MIDI out functionality of the Tempest has not been fully implemented. I wanted to simply have the Tempest transmit MIDI clock from the MIDI out port but have not been able to get this to work with OS 1.1.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Strobian / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
organsymphony / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
alw4416 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
12
Stephen Wiley / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
diegoesk / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.