Dave Smith Instruments Tempest
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym View Post
It is on the list. It is not as high priority as the functions mentioned on our support page so it may be a little while before we get to that exact feature. Play list will provide one method of extending a beat to longer than 4 bars, but the details have not been worked out quite yet. There will probably also be an option tied to the time signature function that will allow you to double your bar length at the expense of step resolution (4 bars at 32nd note resolution, or 8 bars at 16th note resolution, etc).

Most analog drum machines only give you 1 or 2 measures, and normally at 16th rather than 32nd note resolution
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer!
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

12% coupon weekend on Musicians Friend so you can get this for $1759, decent deal unless you live in a state where they charge sales tax, like CA :(
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Gear interested

hi folks, im probably just being dumb, but can anyone tell me how to get to the 2nd set of 16 when in 16 steps mode? Ive tapped in a beat thats 2 bars long and want to mess about with the notes on the 2nd bar. Cant seem to find it in the manual, and im not succeeding with my random button trying!!!

Also, is it possible to realtime record FX?

cheers,
L
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffledcontainer View Post
hi folks, im probably just being dumb, but can anyone tell me how to get to the 2nd set of 16 when in 16 steps mode? Ive tapped in a beat thats 2 bars long and want to mess about with the notes on the 2nd bar. Cant seem to find it in the manual, and im not succeeding with my random button trying!!!

Also, is it possible to realtime record FX?

cheers,
L
Push "events" and then "page up" or "page down".
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by chembros View Post
Push "events" and then "page up" or "page down".
nice 1. cheers fella.

L
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym View Post
It was taken out of the 1.0 release because it was too easy to erase all 16 beats by mistake when you intended to just erase all 16 sounds from that beat.

It was added again in the 1.0.1 beta, you hold down erase and hit the soft key to erase all notes from the beat in either 16 sounds or 16 beats mode
BTW, the soft key method is 1000x better than allowing us to erase all 16 beats accidentally because we thought we were in 16 sounds mode.
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
This thing is unbelievable ... hats off to anyone involved in this project.

Pym you did a amazing job on the OS of this thing. I really don't know what else can I say except:

desert island material....
I so totally agree with that. I've got a maschine, its not even close. The Tempest is the first beat orientated machine I've had were I feel I can easily write a whole track without needing to use another synth.

Obviously the track ends up a bit more stripped down but the overall effect and journey is just so great.

Its just incredible.

Well played Pym

Mike
10th November 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Gear interested

11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Gear interested

8 bars - tempest

Still unable to create an 8 bar loop, was this implemented ?
"I'll try and answer or comment on the things that I can:
There will not be user sample loading in software version 1.0, it may be added in 2.0
The sequencer will have a lot of functionality; basic structure will be up to 32nd Triplet resolution and a loop length of up to 8 bars
The sequencer will be able to record pitch, velocity and duration, plus 4 assignable parameters per sound (you have 16 sounds per beat, each with it's own sequence). You can record those parameters by live knob movements, using the sliders position or pressure, external MIDI, or pedal inputs
There will be nudge options for the sequencer, as well as moving the whole sequence over by one step. Seriously I can't count how many times I started making a beat and realized that the 1 was somewhere in the middle... drives me nuts when I have to redo the whole thing
The touch sliders have both position and pressure response, both are assignable."
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

Btw, midi slave appears to be working well. I've used the tempest with live 8 in both directions and the lock is tight. I'm also around 90bpm, fwiw.
11th November 2011
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
Btw, midi slave appears to be working well. I've used the tempest with live 8 in both directions and the lock is tight. I'm also around 90bpm, fwiw.

Glad to hear that.. but you know what they say: video or it didn't happen :P
12th November 2011
Old 12th November 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
... Who the hell could win with you dueche-bags here???

You want a new drum machine... but it better sound like an old 808?

You want demos, but it better sound like this.... no wait, that... no wait... we need a custom demo for each and every customer's own style and genre?
A bit of a late reply but i just wanted to comment on it because on other forums i was like the ******-bag you were referring to.

The facts are a bit dated as i've heard many user demos in the mean time which give a better indication of the sound then the initial ones.

But taking the initial Dave Smith etc. demo's in mind, they sounded absolutely terrible and unconvincing especially to the more dance orientated potential customers.

Fact of the matter is we're talking about a very expensive (for most people) type of kit here. Due to the analog nature i'll bet you many dance orientated 808 owners are looking to replace their 808 (or even MD)with the Tempest.

But again up to date no real proof of these particular capacities. You might not like their products and slickyness, but take NI as an example. Every feature of their products is marketed to death (to much for me personally) but they manage to create a buzz around their products.

Still all i see in terms of corporate communication for DS is technical stuff, updates this, updates that. Excellent for owner, useless for prospect owners.

Personally i'm still not convinced as well about the deep analog pounding BD's to name something. And that is coming from a DS fanboy who has owned every bit of DS gear there is.
Pym
13th November 2011
Old 13th November 2011
Gear addict

Have you heard the samples I put up on soundcloud? Analog only, no external FX. I played some of those back to back with an 808, double blind, and they SLAM on a big sound system. Granted the snares still need some work, but I think some small envelope tweaks will help them hit a bit harder/cleaner. Played them on a very nice Function One system up here a couple weeks ago and was very happy with the bass. The really low kick (one of the last samples) was really deep, very powerful on a well tuned system, and that isn't even as low as the Tempest can go. I don't know that I could replace my Machinedrum, they compliment each other really well, very different character to each.

Obviously I'm a bit bias of course, as much as I try not to be, and I'm really hoping we do get some great user demos up soon to show the variety the machine is capable of.

Man I would absolutely love to spend some time just making some audio demos;I have some stuff I've put together that I like but getting that last 10% and really tweaking it takes a long time to get it right. Until I get the OS stable I'd feel guilty putting more time into sound creation. Then again I'm 2 and a half weeks ahead of schedule so maybe it's time to give that some attention. Next OS update will probably be mid next week with a couple feature additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by clixor View Post
A bit of a late reply but i just wanted to comment on it because on other forums i was like the ******-bag you were referring to.

The facts are a bit dated as i've heard many user demos in the mean time which give a better indication of the sound then the initial ones.

But taking the initial Dave Smith etc. demo's in mind, they sounded absolutely terrible and unconvincing especially to the more dance orientated potential customers.

Fact of the matter is we're talking about a very expensive (for most people) type of kit here. Due to the analog nature i'll bet you many dance orientated 808 owners are looking to replace their 808 (or even MD)with the Tempest.

But again up to date no real proof of these particular capacities. You might not like their products and slickyness, but take NI as an example. Every feature of their products is marketed to death (to much for me personally) but they manage to create a buzz around their products.

Still all i see in terms of corporate communication for DS is technical stuff, updates this, updates that. Excellent for owner, useless for prospect owners.

Personally i'm still not convinced as well about the deep analog pounding BD's to name something. And that is coming from a DS fanboy who has owned every bit of DS gear there is.
Pym
13th November 2011
Old 13th November 2011
Gear addict

It's one of the things on the list that we're working on adding. There is a current bug list and 'features missing' list in the Tempest forum at dsiforum.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownfunction View Post
Still unable to create an 8 bar loop, was this implemented ?
"I'll try and answer or comment on the things that I can:
There will not be user sample loading in software version 1.0, it may be added in 2.0
The sequencer will have a lot of functionality; basic structure will be up to 32nd Triplet resolution and a loop length of up to 8 bars
The sequencer will be able to record pitch, velocity and duration, plus 4 assignable parameters per sound (you have 16 sounds per beat, each with it's own sequence). You can record those parameters by live knob movements, using the sliders position or pressure, external MIDI, or pedal inputs
There will be nudge options for the sequencer, as well as moving the whole sequence over by one step. Seriously I can't count how many times I started making a beat and realized that the 1 was somewhere in the middle... drives me nuts when I have to redo the whole thing
The touch sliders have both position and pressure response, both are assignable."
13th November 2011
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

when do you think local shops might have it to demo ? nyc / brooklyn ?
13th November 2011
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maks View Post
I've already demoed it at a shop in Toronto, so now.
13th November 2011
Old 13th November 2011
Gear interested

13th November 2011
Old 13th November 2011
Gear addict

14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear
Awesome vid Dreamprobe.
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear

Your work is great, dreamprobe. I would totally commission you for a remix.

- c
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamprobe View Post
Did a new video today.
Have a look:
DSI Tempest Tr-909-Destroyer - YouTube
damn.... I have GAS huge time now.... the Tempest seems to be what I have been looking for.
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by maks View Post
I was at Sam Ash off of 7th in NYC and they had one to show and one to go. That was on the 13th November . John was very cool with letting me play with it and did not hover.
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did a new video today.
Have a look:
To all those who complained about who needs more tr-909 samples when we got loads of them on virtual instruments - i think this little demo vid show what you can coax in real time with this machine, going a lot further than just playing back these samples.
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did a new video today.
Have a look:
I don't think it's a 909-destroyer if you're loading it with 909-samples, rather a 909 wanna-be
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear
I could be wrong but let me guess, you own a 909 and felt the need to defend yourself? Heh, sorry I just woke up and I'm grumpy.

...909 samples + mangling/distortion = destroyed 909. Suitable name. Nice vid.
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Gear interested

Thanks for your kind comments. About the 909... I've owned one before and it is a nice machine but I have to say that the Tempest is way more fun to work with. I actually sold 4 drummachines this summer to make place for this one.
And I have not regret it.

I'm gonna post an 808 video later today.
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chembros View Post
I could be wrong but let me guess, you own a 909 and felt the need to defend yourself?...
Me ?? No, I've never owned a drum machine. I just think it's curious/ironic that people show off a Tempest as 'destroying' the 909 when they're using 909 samples, lol.

But if 'destroying' was meant to mean 'distorting and mangling', then I misunderstood the poster.
14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear

14th November 2011
Old 14th November 2011
Lives for gear

Why are people emotional about this topic? Everyone is so tense.

It is weird.

It's a wonderful thing that the Tempest is available. I personally can't afford it right now --- I just spent a lot of dough on studio gear --- but I'm so happy it exists!

Dreamprobe's demos are inspiring and show how much can be done if you just dive in with some love of music and good taste in sound.

- c
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search