Login / Register
 
Roland Juno 60 Battery Replacement
New Reply
Subscribe
Groovenizer
Thread Starter
#1
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
  #1
Gear Head
 
Groovenizer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 69

Thread Starter
Groovenizer is offline
Roland Juno 60 Battery Replacement

Hi-

My Juno 60 needs a new battery. I've heard about people doing a CR2032 battery holder mod (CMOS type).

But isn't the original JU-60 battery (CR-1/3N) a 3.6V? I thought CR2032's are 3V? Is that a problem? Has anyone done this mod and can give me the exact specs of battery I need... I'd really appreciate that.

Thanks in advance.

__________________
E-MU E-II w/Sounddesigner, E-III, Emax 2, ESI-32 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 (Rev. 2), Pro-One | Oberheim OB-X (4-Voice), DMX, DPX-1 | Roland Juno 60 w/ MD8, RS 09, TR 707, JV2080, JP-8000 | Kurzweil K2000r | Korg M1r | Ensoniq ESQ-1 | Akai MPC2000XL, S900 | Yamaha SY77, PTX-8, MJC8, D1500, HS80, 02r, FG700s Acoustic | Fender Strat | Eventide Harmonizer H949 | Apogee AD8000 | Motu 828MKII | Emagic AMT8 | Great River ME1NV | FMR RNC | Neumann TLM 103 | Apple Mac G5 Dual 2.0, Logic Pro |
#2
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 563

jessem is offline
#3
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
  #3
Gear addict
 
invisiblekiduk's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Fukuoka, Japang
Posts: 312

invisiblekiduk is offline
I've yet to do mine, but from everything I've read up on the subject theres no problems. Heck, some people have even done it with a double AA battery holder (wouldnt myself, but seems to say that 3v is fine!).
__________________
Distressed? It's bleedin' panic stricken!
#4
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
flat earth's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: England. South Coast
Posts: 3,814

Send a message via MSN to flat earth
flat earth is offline
When you get round to changing it, take a few pics and i'll add it to the battery thread. thumbsup
__________________
Current gear: Moog Minitaur / Roland SH-09, JD800, JP8080 / Elektron MM MK2 / Creamware Minimax ASB / Doepfer Dark Energy Mk1 / Nord Lead 2X / Access Virus B


'Coming to grips with compromise is an essential ingredient for balance, harmony and avoidance of conflict'. - Maisonvague
Groovenizer
Thread Starter
#5
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
  #5
Gear Head
 
Groovenizer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 69

Thread Starter
Groovenizer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
When you get round to changing it, take a few pics and i'll add it to the battery thread. thumbsup
Sure thing, will do.
Groovenizer
Thread Starter
#6
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
  #6
Gear Head
 
Groovenizer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 69

Thread Starter
Groovenizer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessem View Post
I'm not sure if it is the same on the 60 but I replaced the battery in a 106 recently with this one and it worked fine. (ordered from this exact link)
Panasonic 3 Volt 260 mAh 2 Pin Lithium Coin Cell Battery
Panasonic 3 Volt 260 mAh 2 Pin Lithium Coin Cell Battery: BatteryMart.com
Looks like this coin cell has the tabs soldered on. The reason for doing this mod was to not have to ever solder a battery in/out when it goes bad again in 20 years or so... (save my son some trouble...)

The Technologytransplant.com guy is selling the original battery for $9.99. Not sure which route to go...

Has anyone done this mod on a JU-60? Will the pins for a CR2032 holder align with the holes for the original battery?
#7
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
  #7
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 283

Send a message via Skype™ to J Gabriel
J Gabriel is offline
how can you tell it's time for a new battery?
i just got a 60 and recently had an issue - when i go to a patch nothing sounds for a minute until i mess with various parameters, then it comes in, eventually - strange. dunno the problem but this thread reminded me to bring it up, if anyone has an idea... ive got EARS here in NY so i'll bring it to them eventually most likely
#8
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,660

fooddude is offline
I don't now if you want to do this:

But, I got dual AA holders at Radio Shack and installed em in my MPC 60, Juno 60 & TX81Z... Planning to do all my machines with 3V like this...maybe my MidiVerbII next. Just gotta make sure to replace/check every other year or so as they are more prone to leak than metal coin lithiums. But, it's been working perfect so far, and any future battery replacements will be super easy without taking out any PCB boards (like the MPC60 requires to even see the battery) as I velcroed the holders far away from PCB boards and highly visual once I swing open any covers/boxes.
Groovenizer
Thread Starter
#9
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
  #9
Gear Head
 
Groovenizer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 69

Thread Starter
Groovenizer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gabriel View Post
how can you tell it's time for a new battery?
i just got a 60 and recently had an issue - when i go to a patch nothing sounds for a minute until i mess with various parameters, then it comes in, eventually - strange. dunno the problem but this thread reminded me to bring it up, if anyone has an idea... ive got EARS here in NY so i'll bring it to them eventually most likely
Hard to say...low battery symptoms can manifest in many different ways. But most of the times some of the presets start to not sound at all or change to some random noise, bleeps, swooshes etc. My JU60 is pushing 30 years on the original battery. I'm sure most JU60 batteries are on its last leg by now....

~Paulo
#10
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #10
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 283

Send a message via Skype™ to J Gabriel
J Gabriel is offline
hmm, sounds like that could be the culprit! i'll bring it in to EARS to have em take a look at some point .... =] any idea how much would be a fair price for them to take care of the battery (ballpark)? thanks!
#11
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #11
Gear addict
 
JEBEQ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: USA Colorado
Posts: 426

JEBEQ is offline
I recently replaced the Battery in my Juno 60. I had it turned off for a while and when I went to turn it on all my presets were gone and nothing but garbled up patches.
I went to my Local Batteries Plus store and they had an exact replacement, they even soldered in the exact tabs that I needed. I then removed the old one on the Juno 60 and soldered the new one in, it was extremely easy.
here is a link, I know they have stores in San Diego
http://www.batteriesplus.com/

These batteries last for many years and there is really no need to put in a battery holder.
Groovenizer
Thread Starter
#12
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #12
Gear Head
 
Groovenizer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 69

Thread Starter
Groovenizer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gabriel View Post
hmm, sounds like that could be the culprit! i'll bring it in to EARS to have em take a look at some point .... =] any idea how much would be a fair price for them to take care of the battery (ballpark)? thanks!
Not sure how much it would cost... but I did it recently on my Oberheim DMX and it took me maybe 10-15 mins to remove and solder the new battery in. I assume it's similar timewise. The JU60 is opened up quickly and the pcb boards are also fairly easy to take out. A normal repair shop charges around $100 labor per hour, so I'd say $30-40 maybe..
#13
5th January 2011
Old 5th January 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 563

jessem is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gabriel View Post
how can you tell it's time for a new battery?
i just got a 60 and recently had an issue - when i go to a patch nothing sounds for a minute until i mess with various parameters, then it comes in, eventually - strange. dunno the problem but this thread reminded me to bring it up, if anyone has an idea... ive got EARS here in NY so i'll bring it to them eventually most likely
That's pretty much the problem I was having. New battery fixed it but you'll have to reload all your sounds.

Hardest part is just getting the old battery out cleanly. Gotta be quick with that solder sucker.
#14
10th January 2011
Old 10th January 2011
  #14
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 283

Send a message via Skype™ to J Gabriel
J Gabriel is offline
Cool well I'm going to take my 60 in to EARS here in NY to have it taken care of - wondering though, how have ya'll gone about backing up your patches?Mine came with an amazing set of patches (supposedly programmed by the son of Norm Sundholm of Sunn amplifiers).... Would suck to lose them!
#15
10th January 2011
Old 10th January 2011
  #15
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 297

africantigercow is offline
word on the street is that covariance is doing an extensive midi/patch/functionality upgrade kit similar to the one he did for the jupiter4 for the Juno60. It sounds like it will be nullifying the need for a battery and upgrading the available patch spaces... (aswell as implementing full midi and adding lfos and all sorts of wonderful things).

The price he mentioned was pretty enticing too.
#16
3rd August 2011
Old 3rd August 2011
  #16
Gear interested
 
nsputnik's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 9

nsputnik is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovenizer View Post
Hi-

My Juno 60 needs a new battery. I've heard about people doing a CR2032 battery holder mod (CMOS type).

But isn't the original JU-60 battery (CR-1/3N) a 3.6V? I thought CR2032's are 3V? Is that a problem? Has anyone done this mod and can give me the exact specs of battery I need... I'd really appreciate that.

Thanks in advance.

So is it ok to use a 3.6 volt, 950 mAh battery for the Juno 60?
#17
3rd August 2011
Old 3rd August 2011
  #17
Gear nut
 
DEAFCON's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 91

DEAFCON is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovenizer View Post
Has anyone done this mod on a JU-60? Will the pins for a CR2032 holder align with the holes for the original battery?
I've done it a few times, it drops right in. While doing it, just say thanks it's not the stacked type like on a Korg or Ensoniq (which also frequently leak). A real pain...

The holder is nice, if in the future you do need to replace it - you can simply leave the Juno on while changing it and not worry about data loss.

How would a mod bypass the battery? Using Flash storage?
#18
3rd August 2011
Old 3rd August 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

ttown23 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsputnik View Post
So is it ok to use a 3.6 volt, 950 mAh battery for the Juno 60?
I have this mod on my 60--- it is a CR2032 button cell in a plastic holder. I can certify here that despite it being a 3.0 V cell (actually, I measure 3.2 V on my multimeter), it works brilliantly!
#19
3rd August 2011
Old 3rd August 2011
  #19
Gear interested
 
nsputnik's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Posts: 9

nsputnik is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post
I have this mod on my 60--- it is a CR2032 button cell in a plastic holder. I can certify here that despite it being a 3.0 V cell (actually, I measure 3.2 V on my multimeter), it works brilliantly!
Ok, that's what I'll do. The CR2032 button cell in a plastic holder makes much more sense. However, I was referring to a purple, cylindrical battery with axial leads that is not a CR-1/3N (I should have provided this detail). The CR2032's I have are labeled 3 volts.
#20
9th December 2011
Old 9th December 2011
  #20
Gear Head
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Lusitania
Posts: 39

vcs3_pt is offline
Hi,
does the replacement of the battery to a coin type (CR2032) need any change in the borad like in th Korg PolySix?
#21
9th December 2011
Old 9th December 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

ttown23 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs3_pt View Post
Hi,
does the replacement of the battery to a coin type (CR2032) need any change in the borad like in th Korg PolySix?
Not at all. It's a drop-in replacement.
#22
29th November 2012
Old 29th November 2012
  #22
Gear interested
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 2

trebor82 is offline
I know this probably a really old thread but I was wondering if you need cables from doing the cr2032 thing. I just ordered the battery and holders but I don't think the holder has and cables connected to it. If I do need cable what should I be ordering? Thanks in advance.
#23
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
  #23
Gear interested
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 2

trebor82 is offline
Originally Posted by trebor82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor82
Hello!

I just ordered some parts from my Juno 60 like a battery holder and a cr2032 but do I need cables to get this done? I haven't even opened up the board to take a look at it yet. Thanks again for you previous advice (not personally to me)

Best,
Robert Jones
It's a pretty basic job; you just need to de-solider the old battery and then run leads from the board to the battery holder, which I mounted with some double adhesive tape to the wood inside the Juno 60. Then you're rockin!
-TT
For the leads I'm using a cables from a 9V battery connector. That should be fine right? Once again I really appreciate your help.
#24
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
  #24
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

ttown23 is offline
^^^^
Trebor and I were in a PM session and I wanted everyone to benefit from it, so thanks to him for posting our correspondence. Also, the 9 volt battery leads work just fine, for anyone interested!
#25
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 863

kpatz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs3_pt View Post
Hi,
does the replacement of the battery to a coin type (CR2032) need any change in the borad like in th Korg PolySix?
The original Polysix battery is a rechargeable type. If you replace it with a coin cell, you'll have to modify the board (add a blocking diode, or remove the charging diode, refer to a schematic) to prevent the board from attempting to "charge" the coin battery.
__________________
Now a gearless ex-gearslut.
#26
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
  #26
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Scarborough, ON, Canada
Posts: 3

stealthee is offline
Hello Gearslutz, sorry for the necro post, but I thought it would be best to post within the relevant thread. I'm new to the forum as well as to synths. I just recently bought a Juno-60. Everything looks physically clean inside and out. The only problem with it is that the battery is dead, so it's like a Juno-6 at the moment.
Now, I have a CR2032 battery holder, but my question is if anyone has successfully installed the holder into their board. I looked under the hood and located the battery. I'll have to desolder the old one off, but I'm not sure if the holder will fit as it seems the space/width between the two tabs on the holder are longer than the tab placement holes on the board.
I will await the community's counsel before attempting as I do not want to damage anything, after all I just got it yesturday!
Attached Thumbnails
Roland Juno 60 Battery Replacement-sam_1934_1024x768.jpg   Roland Juno 60 Battery Replacement-sam_1936_1024x768.jpg  
#27
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
  #27
Lives for gear
 
ttown23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 874

ttown23 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
Hello Gearslutz, sorry for the necro post, but I thought it would be best to post within the relevant thread. I'm new to the forum as well as to synths. I just recently bought a Juno-60. Everything looks physically clean inside and out. The only problem with it is that the battery is dead, so it's like a Juno-6 at the moment.
Now, I have a CR2032 battery holder, but my question is if anyone has successfully installed the holder into their board. I looked under the hood and located the battery. I'll have to desolder the old one off, but I'm not sure if the holder will fit as it seems the space/width between the two tabs on the holder are longer than the tab placement holes on the board.
I will await the community's counsel before attempting as I do not want to damage anything, after all I just got it yesturday!
I wouldn't install the new battery directly onto the board. I'd order a button cell battery holder and locate it somewhere off of the PCB, like mount it to the wood inside the case. I think you'll be much happier doing it that way then trying to solder to the board...
#28
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
  #28
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Scarborough, ON, Canada
Posts: 3

stealthee is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post
I wouldn't install the new battery directly onto the board. I'd order a button cell battery holder and locate it somewhere off of the PCB, like mount it to the wood inside the case. I think you'll be much happier doing it that way then trying to solder to the board...
I see.. I guess that would be easier. The next thing I would ask then is how I should go about this. I already have the button cell holder for CR2032s.
#29
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
  #29
Gear interested
 
matrixxman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1

matrixxman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ View Post
I recently replaced the Battery in my Juno 60. I had it turned off for a while and when I went to turn it on all my presets were gone and nothing but garbled up patches.
I went to my Local Batteries Plus store and they had an exact replacement, they even soldered in the exact tabs that I needed. I then removed the old one on the Juno 60 and soldered the new one in, it was extremely easy.
here is a link, I know they have stores in San Diego
http://www.batteriesplus.com/

These batteries last for many years and there is really no need to put in a battery holder.
Oh my god you just saved my f*cking life...just saw there was one of these stores in San Francisco. I scored a Juno 60 for $500 because Guitar Center didn't know how to deal with this battery issue. Was contemplating busting out the soldering kit but I don't wanna break anything. So glad I read this post!!
__________________
Ass, Grass, or Cash: No 1 Rides 4 Free
Soo Wavey Records
#30
21st July 2013
Old 21st July 2013
  #30
Gear maniac
 
poonti's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 170

poonti is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsputnik View Post
Ok, that's what I'll do. The CR2032 button cell in a plastic holder makes much more sense. However, I was referring to a purple, cylindrical battery with axial leads that is not a CR-1/3N (I should have provided this detail). The CR2032's I have are labeled 3 volts.
I made that change around 2-3 years ago. Removed the original battery, soldered on a CR2032 plastic holder, and inserted a CR2032 - still going strong today, and it will be a simple change of battery in the future. The way to go IMO.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
amadeusamadeus / Geekslutz forum
8
vonhagen / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
8
emvee / Low End Theory
7
Slammer / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
werds1 / Geekslutz forum
1

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.