Boss dr rhythm range
Rude Talk
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

Boss dr rhythm range

There are various dr rhythm boxes out on the market but it's not clear to me how they all relate to eachother.

Are there any favourite out there? Some considered to be better then others?

Are some more orientated towards certain style of music?

Are there boxes that contain DMX, linndrum or drumtracks samples?

I'm looking for somewhat vintage, 80s feel kinda drums.
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Gear addict

DR-110 is analog. but you can't sync it to anything. The best DR. The rest, run of the mill drum samples. I am really only familiar with DR - 550 and DR-110.
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've had the DR-110 and DR-55.

The DR-55 was strangley similar to a couple of other basic analogue drum machines of the time (ie Soundmaster). It had almost same layout and sounds, but these seem to go for about half the price.

They both were quite limited but sounded good. I sold the DR-110 years ago because its lack of midi and it didn't fit in to the sort of music I was creating at the time. Wish I had it now though. The hats and snare on those things are just what I like at the moment. (Similar to KPR-77),

I haven't a clue on the more recent BOSS machines. There seems to be tons of them.
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

of the dr range the best ones are the alesis dm-5, the roland tr-707, roland r8, and the akai-mpc500

seriously the dr series are crap. they have a small cramped interface, tiny screens, and dinky pads. they don't even sound that good anyway especially for 80's drum sounds. the alesis is a good all rounder with trigger inputs, nice kits and sounds and a good price. the tr-707 has a lot in common with the 909 as far as the hats and claps and interface. the r8 has a lot of the dr series samples (or the reverse the dr series has some of the r8 set) a bigger interface and better pads and is cheaper. the akai mpc can have any drum sound you want to put in it and a killer sequencer and bigger pads than the dr series...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search