Nothing but praise for the Moog Source
New Reply
Subscribe
phoenix224
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Gear Head

Nothing but praise for the Moog Source

I bought a Moog Source for about $1200 six months ago, and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. It took me a few months to really appreciate it. The breakthrough came when I plugged it into a Boss V-wah pedal, MXR carbon copy analog delay, then into the distorted channel of a Mesa Boogie F50 combo amp.

The sound is simply stunning. I'm using a patch with osc sync and modulating it with the pitch wheel while manipulating the wah. It's glorious.

I wanted to post this for those thinking about a Source. I couldn't afford a Model D, so for me this is the next best thing. I thought about a Little Phatty, but I just prefer the vintage Moog tone. I will probably pick up a Slim Phatty eventually because I'm a slut.
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Gear addict

Yeah I saw a demo of one on YouTube a while back and I was pretty impressed too. Prior to that it was a synth I would never have even given a second glance to.

-Fordy

Gear: Nord Wave, Access Virus TI 2 Keyboard, Moog Voyager Select, Korg Radias, Novation Supernova II, Quasimidi Polymorph, Korg Electribe SX, Eminent 310U,

FX: EH Stereo Small Stone Phaser, EH Stereo Electric Mistress, Lexicon MX400, Behringer FX2000 Virtualizer 3D

My synth videos on Youtube

On Facebook

http://soundcloud.com/andyford69/impressions-part-i-short
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

People have shunned the Source for years because it didn't have a panel full of knobs. I remember when they were selling for $200 on the 'bay. It is only recently getting its due as people are discovering that it puts out that vintage Moog sheen and phat bass. I have been a happy owner since 1985.

Encore Electronics makes an excellent MIDI retrofit that expands patch memory to 256 and adds MIDI clock control of the arpeggiator.
phoenix224
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
People have shunned the Source for years because it didn't have a panel full of knobs. I remember when they were selling for $200 on the 'bay. It is only recently getting its due as people are discovering that it puts out that vintage Moog sheen and phat bass. I have been a happy owner since 1985.

Encore Electronics makes an excellent MIDI retrofit that expands patch memory to 256 and adds MIDI clock control of the arpeggiator.
MC - Encore is currently out of stock of the Source MIDI retrofit. I contacted them. They're doing another batch this winter. Can't wait for this. MIDI will truly make this board a beast.
28th November 2010
Old 28th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix224 View Post
The sound is simply stunning.
what sound?...post some audio or it never happened!!

Moog+Mesa/Boogie....yurmmmmmmm. sounds potentially delicious - i'd like to hear that.

phoenix224
28th November 2010
Old 28th November 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
what sound?...post some audio or it never happened!!

Moog+Mesa/Boogie....yurmmmmmmm. sounds potentially delicious - i'd like to hear that.
Shaft9000, you are right!

Here's an excerpt of a song that uses the Source/Mesa Boogie tone. It sounds similar to a distorted lead guitar. The pad type sound is my Juno 60.

Let me know what you think of the sound.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 reactive bank_d2.mp3 (2.28 MB, 165 views)
28th November 2010
Old 28th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Here's an excerpt of a song that uses the Source/Mesa Boogie tone. It sounds similar to a distorted lead guitar. The pad type sound is my Juno 60.

Wow thats pretty cool, I have a Moog Source it sits around collecting dust, maybe it's time to dig it and see what I can do with it.
28th November 2010
Old 28th November 2010
Gear addict

Quote:

Wow, really cool! Reminds me of Clan of Xymox for some reason...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search