Login / Register

Who here uses a Sync-Lock with the Roland TR-909?
New Reply
Subscribe
tekara
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Gear nut

Who here uses a Sync-Lock with the Roland TR-909?

Gear slutters,

I need an honest opinion from those that use these two devices together, because spending 400 USD on a piece of plastic that that doesn't work isn't exactly what I had in mind.

Just wanted to ask if it accomplishes two things:

1) First of all, does it sync solidly even if my machine has EPROM 1? And would I need to update the eprom chip + buy sync lock in order for it to work?

2) When using the Roland TR-909's sequencer in the DAW, does the sync-lock allow you to get "that groove"?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I am mainly using my drum machine to trigger midi notes because the 909's internal sequencer doesn't sync properly over midi or din sync.

However, I can get by with drawing midi notes in Cubase with a little latency adjusting (usually 35-40 ms will take care of the problem). So for me, it's not worth spending 400 USD if the sync-lock allows the 909 to sync using the internal sequencer but loses "the groove" because I can accomplish the same thing drawing in midi notes in Cubase.

Any ideas guys?

cheers
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

i really think that synclock thing is overpriced. I don't think that's what you need to do to solve the 909 sync issues....i just use the dinsync coming out of my kenton pro-2000, and a bunch of dinsync splitters, then drive like my 303-606-707-808-909 all off that one dinsync source...you could use any midi clock->dinsync converter for this and its probably the easiest/cheapest way to make it all sync perfectly. i am not sure what the limits of splitting are but it seems it should cover most scenarios...I've never had that much trouble syncing my 909 (and all the others) to my sequencer this way. However, I have noticed occasionally my 808 will miss a step and start one beat off from everything else but it's kind of sporadic. I think it has to do with the fact that if there's no clock coming into it, it kind of is in a frozen state...

you said that it doesn't sync correctly over din either? how did you try it? i can't help but think if it's not syncing correctly over midi or din that something else is wrong...is prescale set correctly in the tracks and all that ?
tekara
28th November 2010
Old 28th November 2010
Gear nut

Thanks for the heads up, but is the Kenton Pro-2000 not the same price (or even more expensive) than the Sync-Lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
i really think that synclock thing is overpriced. I don't think that's what you need to do to solve the 909 sync issues....i just use the dinsync coming out of my kenton pro-2000, and a bunch of dinsync splitters, then drive like my 303-606-707-808-909 all off that one dinsync source...you could use any midi clock->dinsync converter for this and its probably the easiest/cheapest way to make it all sync perfectly. i am not sure what the limits of splitting are but it seems it should cover most scenarios...I've never had that much trouble syncing my 909 (and all the others) to my sequencer this way. However, I have noticed occasionally my 808 will miss a step and start one beat off from everything else but it's kind of sporadic. I think it has to do with the fact that if there's no clock coming into it, it kind of is in a frozen state...

you said that it doesn't sync correctly over din either? how did you try it? i can't help but think if it's not syncing correctly over midi or din that something else is wrong...is prescale set correctly in the tracks and all that ?
28th November 2010
Old 28th November 2010
Gear addict

Sync-lock is totally worth it.
Why use midi clock from a DAW, sent down a USB lead, which will jitter all over the place, when you can have sample accurate tight sync from the SL?
I have both a Philip Rees midi to din sync box (similar to Kenton units) and a sync-lock, and with the SL everything just locks perfectly.
Bear in mind that you'll need an audio interface with two spare outs to drive the sync-lock.
28th November 2010
Old 28th November 2010
Lives for gear

Why ask the same thing in thread after thread? I'll say it one last time: The 909 (at least the ones I've used) only really grooves when using the internal sequencer on its own. Even a perfect external signal via DIN won't do. I think the Sync-Lock is a great product, and I use it with other gear (my SP-12 syncs to it perfectly), but the 909 in my experience can't do it.
28th November 2010
Old 28th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekara View Post
Thanks for the heads up, but is the Kenton Pro-2000 not the same price (or even more expensive) than the Sync-Lock?
im not suggesting you get a pro-2000, just any midi->din sync converter.
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

I put a bunch of OSX tools on this thread.

OSX SMDI - SCSI MIDI Utility

there may be Windows equivalents. they might be useful for certain things.

it could be useful to find out if offsetting the SMPTE start time offsets the Midi clock or MTC.

but I think it could easily be the case that locking the 909 to (anything) other than its internal clock messes with the way the 909s feel operates when in master.
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauqq View Post
Sync-lock is totally worth it.
Why use midi clock from a DAW, sent down a USB lead, which will jitter all over the place, when you can have sample accurate tight sync from the SL?
I have both a Philip Rees midi to din sync box (similar to Kenton units) and a sync-lock, and with the SL everything just locks perfectly.
Bear in mind that you'll need an audio interface with two spare outs to drive the sync-lock.

I just purchased my 909 and want to sync lock it to my DAW. Can anyone suggest a good sync lock device that i can use. I basically want to record my patterns in the with the DAW then to any editing I need to after that.

Thanks
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search