Login / Register

Feedback: My first track in months! Broken Beat with heavy bass + warped harmony...
New Reply
Subscribe
Simonator
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Feedback: My first track in months! Broken Beat with heavy bass + warped harmony...

Yo,

So I've been doing some mad-intensive college course, preceded by a holiday... so it's been about two months since last time I got to make any music!

Well I finally got down to it, and ripped this track out from scratch in the past 24 hours:

http://soundcloud.com/khyan/khyan-when-you-cared

What do you make of it?

How's the mix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaproject View Post
This is the reason I don't hang out with people much....I generally don't like people...and this is exactly why... Simonator is the exact reason why
... Yeah! So don't mess with the Simonator!!! Grrrr
Simonator
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Ha, my wife just told me that the 'beads on the floor noise" is "f***ing ridiculous", and the detuning on the harmony "sounds like s***".

Nice. She has a real way with words when she wants.
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

no that sounds good to me, i think it just needs some very slight variation somewhere.. I haven't listened to the mix yet but the kick was sounding good on my cans.. nice beats liking the hi hat edits thumbsup

I'm not too into the earie string/pad part that drops, but those vocal edits are cool, could sit well with a variety of chords.

sounding more like what I heard you playing a couple of weeks ago.
Simonator
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg View Post
no that sounds good to me, i think it just needs some very slight variation somewhere.. I haven't listened to the mix yet but the kick was sounding good on my cans.. nice beats liking the hi hat edits thumbsup

I'm not too into the earie string/pad part that drops, but those vocal edits are cool, could sit well with a variety of chords.

sounding more like what I heard you playing a couple of weeks ago.
Cheers dudah.

So you think I need to take the harmony on a detour at some point?
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Cheers dudah.

So you think I need to take the harmony on a detour at some point?
definitely, I think those vocal edits would work well with something more jazzy/euphoric (crap description) maybe resample some chords and retrigger add 9's for example.
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg

definitely, I think those vocal edits would work well with something more jazzy/euphoric (crap description) maybe resample some chords and retrigger add 9's for example.
Why sample? Record some live stuff...
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odey View Post
Why sample? Record some live stuff...

play and Resample I like resampling chords from phrases/ progressions I put together I find it easier to manipulate the sound further; but yeah whatever play it straight either way I think it will build on what is sounding good already thumbsup
Simonator
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Cheers for the feedback guys. I'll have a think about this. Unsure though as I quite like it that the harmony is quite static.

Will experiment a little though to see what I can come up with without losing the vibe.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has decent monitoring... is the bass end okay?
... Controversially, my sub bass is by far the loudest element; peaking way above the kicks & snares. Sounds well balanced in my studio... how's it sound to you guys?

Cheers
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

The percussions sound good. That crunchy stuff on the background is also very cool.

The panned chord like sound is too loud, and needs some eq or filtering. You can also use a plated/gated/reversed reverd send over a nice stereo delay plugin insert..

Use something like Fabfilter Micro or Volcano on the vocal and overdrive the input over the output for example to give it a nice edge and make it stand out!

Some MIDI and/or audio manipulating tools on the beat would also be cool to keep things versatile and interesting..

Overall not bad @ all man, just my take on this cool little track!
Simonator
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovas View Post
The percussions sound good. That crunchy stuff on the background is also very cool.

The panned chord like sound is too loud, and needs some eq or filtering. You can also use a plated/gated/reversed reverd send over a nice stereo delay plugin insert..

Use something like Fabfilter Micro or Volcano on the vocal and overdrive the input over the output for example to give it a nice edge and make it stand out!

Some MIDI and/or audio manipulating tools on the beat would also be cool to keep things versatile and interesting..

Overall not bad @ all man, just my take on this cool little track!
Hey Jovas,

Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback & tips!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovas View Post
The panned chord like sound is too loud, and needs some eq or filtering.
It's actually a filter that is creating that pan effect!
Where is it you feel needs to be trimmed: highs or lows?

Does anyone else think it is too loud? Sounds about right on my monitors & headphones.

Will try out your suggestion on processing the beat collectively... for a rare change, I've got my drums merging on a buss, so I can experiment with that quite easily.

Will try some Fabfilter action on my vox too.

Cheers!
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Little less mid/low on the chord, maybe less reso?
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Nice vocal, where from?

Chord seems too loud to me also. I'm struggling to hear the bass to be honest but maybe it's fine i'm no pro.

Nice track though, not something i'd made but it's cool. Really nice vibe to it.
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

sounds great, really liked the "beads on the floor" sound. Never heard that done before and it fit nicely.
Simonator
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primativ View Post
Nice track though, not something i'd made but it's cool. Really nice vibe to it.
Cheers.

Quote:
Chord seems too loud to me also. I'm struggling to hear the bass to be honest but maybe it's fine i'm no pro.
What are you listening on? The bass is pure sub, so will only be audible on headphones or decent speakers.

Quote:
Nice vocal, where from?
It's from a royalty-free pack that came free on a magazine that I got years ago.
It was actually a really corny line to begin with, but I sliced it up, re-pitched it, spread it across a keyboard, & then jammed this line out.
I then ran it through a fair bit of processing to sex it up a bit.

I'm curious to know what people think the line sounds like it's saying?

My wife thinks it sounds like 'twenty-ten' (2010)... which might have been pretty handy if I'd made it a year ago... but seems like a silly thing to call a track as we are about to go into 2011!!
... Now she's planted that seed, I can really hear that though!
22nd November 2010
Old 22nd November 2010
Gear addict

I like it very much, thanks for sharing this.

@panned chord: Less mids or resonance as the poster above me already pointed out and just turn it down a bit.

@vox: Although it may alert your cheese- detector- why don't you try some vinyl effects on it? Like slowing it down or pitching it for some syllables (synced to tempo of course)? It could help it cutting its way through the chord and the hats. It is such a beautiful selection, you should really treat it so it's able to stand out more as precious and tender. Excuse the bad wording of that sentence, I am encountering problems describing such nuances in English.

@mix: Somehow it is lacking weight in the lower mids, but I would not really change much there. I like the 'light as a feather' feeling throughout the track very much.

@hihats: Astonishing work you did there. Sounds and patterns are just top notch, this is as good as Aquilinas best work and I concider him being king of hihattery regarding deeper tracks.

Personal remark: I would so love to kill this thing with an ultra- soft break and then, all of a sudden, a much harder, subbier, tech- housy kind of beat, replacing that soft chord with some slightly less tonal elements and.....ok, ok, calm down now.....

Beautiful work, thanks again for sharing this- are you gonna release it?

All the best!
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cheers.

What are you listening on? The bass is pure sub, so will only be audible on headphones or decent speakers.

It's from a royalty-free pack that came free on a magazine that I got years ago.
It was actually a really corny line to begin with, but I sliced it up, re-pitched it, spread it across a keyboard, & then jammed this line out.
I then ran it through a fair bit of processing to sex it up a bit.

My wife thinks it sounds like 'twenty-ten' (2010)... which might have been pretty handy if I'd made it a year ago... but seems like a silly thing to call a track as we are about to go into 2011!!
I'm listening on my KRK's and headphones, (not same time obviously). I could hear the bass on my headphones...

Nice work with the vocal I think its really catchy.
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

'Want it dead' sounds like to me, or 2010.
Simonator
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenfire View Post
I like it very much, thanks for sharing this.

@panned chord: Less mids or resonance as the poster above me already pointed out and just turn it down a bit.

@vox: Although it may alert your cheese- detector- why don't you try some vinyl effects on it? Like slowing it down or pitching it for some syllables (synced to tempo of course)? It could help it cutting its way through the chord and the hats. It is such a beautiful selection, you should really treat it so it's able to stand out more as precious and tender. Excuse the bad wording of that sentence, I am encountering problems describing such nuances in English.

@mix: Somehow it is lacking weight in the lower mids, but I would not really change much there. I like the 'light as a feather' feeling throughout the track very much.

@hihats: Astonishing work you did there. Sounds and patterns are just top notch, this is as good as Aquilinas best work and I concider him being king of hihattery regarding deeper tracks.

Personal remark: I would so love to kill this thing with an ultra- soft break and then, all of a sudden, a much harder, subbier, tech- housy kind of beat, replacing that soft chord with some slightly less tonal elements and.....ok, ok, calm down now.....

Beautiful work, thanks again for sharing this- are you gonna release it?

All the best!
Ha ha :-) Great, thanks for the comments... I'm going to take them on board!!
Simonator
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm listening on my KRK's and headphones, (not same time obviously). I could hear the bass on my headphones...
That is weird that you aren't getting anything even on proper monitors... what size are the cones?

Quote:
'Want it dead' sounds like to me
LMFAO :-)
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
I'm interested to hear from anyone who has decent monitoring... is the bass end okay?
Yes

I agree with the other people who've mentioned the panning chords being too loud.
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Deleted User

That beat is sick!

But too repetitive for me too
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is weird that you aren't getting anything even on proper monitors... what size are the cones?

LMFAO :-)
6inch. It might be because I have an untreated room, I lose alot of my bass to a mysterious monster vortex
Simonator
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Okay, just upped a new mix that hopefully addresses most of the issues raised:

* Killed some low-mids from the chords to lighten them up. Much better now I think.

* Beat now has much more variation & fills, so will hopefully maintain interest.
* Also added a new ride in the peak section to freshen it up + add energy.

* Some additional sounds about the place to tart it up a little.

* Bad-ass, sub-heavy house beat now comes out of the breakdown to change things up some more.

(On recommendation of Goldenbeers in an email)
* I've tidied up the high-synth string part, then re-tracked it & ran it 100% wet through a reverb. Now sounds a lot more dangerous.
* Also made the transients on the hats & snares a bit sharper.

* Tweaked the mix a little to make it more upfront.

What do you think?

I'm starting to really quite like this one. Would love to hear it in Plastic People!
Simonator
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Oh s***, that soundcloud upload seems to have totally failed; still same version as previous!!

Damn. Gimme 5 mins. Sorry.

EDIT:

Ugh, weird... Track has not been replaced in spite of me uploading the new one... but when I went to try again I got a message saying

'This track already has a replacement in progress, replacing it again will override the last replacement.'

... I'm sure that used to be instantaneous!
Simonator
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, just upped a new mix that hopefully addresses most of the issues raised.

* Killed some low-mids from the chords to lighten them up. Much better now I think.

* Beat now has much more variation & fills, so will hopefully maintain interest.

* Bad-ass, sub-heavy house beat now comes out of the breakdown to change things up some more.

* I've tidied up the high-synth string part, then re-tracked it & ran it 100% wet through a reverb. Now sounds a lot more dangerous.

What do you think?

I'm starting to really quite like this one. Would love to hear it in Plastic People!

Curses!!!

The new mix has been up on Soundcloud for about 10 minutes now... but is still refusing to update via the embedded player here!!

If anyone cares to hear the new mix, you'll catch it at this link:

Khyan - Khyan - When You Cared - SoundCloud
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

ruff in da jungle blud !!! sounding good Ill have a listen in da studio tonight.

One for Troy methinks
Simonator
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg View Post
ruff in da jungle blud !!! sounding good Ill have a listen in da studio tonight.

One for Troy methinks
Cheers!
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Gear maniac

I like this track! Great job!
Simonator
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimby View Post
I like this track! Great job!
Thanks a lot!!

Finally the updated track is playing in the embedded widget... so to repeat what I posted earlier:

Okay, just upped a new mix that hopefully addresses most of the issues raised:

What do you think?
23rd November 2010
Old 23rd November 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
What do you think?
I think I love you.

THIS is exactly the track that will be leading the deephousy beginning of my set into the harder realms. This is like- the missing link. I'm loving it. The mix is perfect, the chord is fixed and you exactly did what I have been trying to suggest you to do after the breakdown so I even do not have to bootleg- remix it to my tastes. This is so....beautiful.
Release it. Now. I beg you.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search