How do you remake a beat?
New Reply
Subscribe
macshutter
14th October 2010
Old 14th October 2010
Gear Head

How do you remake a beat?

I want to learn to make a beat so bad, It think I could learn off remaking beats, and then make my own and create my own style, etc. But, I have no idea and it seems way to hard. I use garageband btw. Something like this YouTube - Stereo love INSTRUMENTAL REMIX I tried to google remaking a beat and found nothing ):
WDM
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
WDM
Lives for gear

Here is just one random example...

It may look easy but actually it is not.

Just try to search "beat making" you'll find a lot of videos on youtube, how to do that with different equipment, different styles, etc.
That should get you started...
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

You want to learn to make a beat so bad...Learn to play an instrument. If you don't have any innate musical talent learning to play an instrument is a great way to get started.

You don't have to go through years of lessons to get started. Pick up a midi keyboard and hook it into your GarageBand. There are tons of programs that can teach you basics of how to play. Once you figure that out and learn a bit about recording with GarageBand, you'll be on your way.

Do you mean Remixing? I think that if you aren't able to make a beat, Remixing might be an even more daunting task.

You don't mention that you have anything other than GarageBand. I've never used it so I can't give you any specifics of how to use it to go about what you want to do. But here's an exercise that may help get you going.

My suggestion would be to simply copy a beat first. That's usually how all musicians start out. Guitarists learn to play Iron Man or Smoke on the Water. Keyboardists learn Axel F or The Model...well, that's what I started with. You should try to copy a beat that you like.

You don't have to start from scratch. Find a beat you like. Record it into a track in GarageBand. Create another track and on it record your own drums...but ones that are the same as in the main beat. Begin with the kick drum. Start another track and record the snare (if there is one). On another track record the hi-hats and/or cymbals...etc. The sounds don't have to match up exactly. Just use similar ones. Then add in the other parts of the beat, each on it's own track. Once you have all the elements of the beat then try to make them sound like the original. This can be very hard because you aren't using the same sounds as the original track and you aren't using the same equipment...but the idea of this exercise isn't to get it exact. It's to give you an idea of how a beat is put together and how to go about laying one out.

Then you can get to Remixing. Change the sounds. Make them what you want them to be. Reorganize the song. Move parts around to give the song a different structure. Add in new elements. Remove existing elements.

--

As for just making a beat, my recommendation to you would be to get some sort of drum machine. Perhaps GarageBand has something like this...i don't know. Play with the beats that are in the drum machine. Write your own beats. Then add music; a Riff here, a chord there. BAM...you've made a beat. Then you practice. Make more beats...even more...yes, more. You'll use different sounds, different rhythms, different tempos. Once you've done it for a while, then you'll be able to make decisions about what your next steps will be.
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
You want to learn to make a beat so bad...Learn to play an instrument. If you don't have any innate musical talent learning to play an instrument is a great way to get started.

You don't have to go through years of lessons to get started. Pick up a midi keyboard and hook it into your GarageBand. There are tons of programs that can teach you basics of how to play. Once you figure that out and learn a bit about recording with GarageBand, you'll be on your way.

Do you mean Remixing? I think that if you aren't able to make a beat, Remixing might be an even more daunting task.

You don't mention that you have anything other than GarageBand. I've never used it so I can't give you any specifics of how to use it to go about what you want to do. But here's an exercise that may help get you going.

My suggestion would be to simply copy a beat first. That's usually how all musicians start out. Guitarists learn to play Iron Man or Smoke on the Water. Keyboardists learn Axel F or The Model...well, that's what I started with. You should try to copy a beat that you like.

You don't have to start from scratch. Find a beat you like. Record it into a track in GarageBand. Create another track and on it record your own drums...but ones that are the same as in the main beat. Begin with the kick drum. Start another track and record the snare (if there is one). On another track record the hi-hats and/or cymbals...etc. The sounds don't have to match up exactly. Just use similar ones. Then add in the other parts of the beat, each on it's own track. Once you have all the elements of the beat then try to make them sound like the original. This can be very hard because you aren't using the same sounds as the original track and you aren't using the same equipment...but the idea of this exercise isn't to get it exact. It's to give you an idea of how a beat is put together and how to go about laying one out.

Then you can get to Remixing. Change the sounds. Make them what you want them to be. Reorganize the song. Move parts around to give the song a different structure. Add in new elements. Remove existing elements.

--

As for just making a beat, my recommendation to you would be to get some sort of drum machine. Perhaps GarageBand has something like this...i don't know. Play with the beats that are in the drum machine. Write your own beats. Then add music; a Riff here, a chord there. BAM...you've made a beat. Then you practice. Make more beats...even more...yes, more. You'll use different sounds, different rhythms, different tempos. Once you've done it for a while, then you'll be able to make decisions about what your next steps will be.
Thanks, Thats what I meant to copy a beat. Keep the answer coming please.
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by macshutter View Post
Keep the answer coming please.
Hmm... What's more to say? Go do it!
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

Making a beat is really really easy if you've got good samples. Go find/make/buy some samples that just make you go WOW.

You can learn to program synths if you want... some people will tell you that's the best way. I however think its better to get used to hearing samples that you like work in a groove and then be able to program a synth to that, once you've mastered that.
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by macshutter View Post
I want to learn to make a beat so bad, It think I could learn off remaking beats, and then make my own and create my own style, etc. But, I have no idea and it seems way to hard. I use garageband btw. Something like this YouTube - Stereo love INSTRUMENTAL REMIX I tried to google remaking a beat and found nothing ):
Why not just take inspiration from what you want to remake and REMIX it or create something like it? Find some drum loops and learn some chords ie minor 7ths and major 7ths. or just use samples.. you should upgrade to Abelton Live or Logic.. You can download a free trial of Ableton Live..
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

For the beginner, a DAW may not be the best composition tool. They do so many things that one can get lost in them.

You may be better served getting something like a self contained device that includes sounds, samples, loops and sequencing. Something like a Korg Electribe or maybe a Roland SP-404/606.
16th October 2010
Old 16th October 2010
Gear addict

get a roland tr-808. turn it on.
16th October 2010
Old 16th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio View Post
get a roland tr-808. turn it on.
lol yeah i dont think he has $2000..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search