Login / Register

Skrillex! I want to be Skrillex!! How do I do it?
Closed
Subscribe
innoverse
13th October 2010
Old 13th October 2010
Gear maniac

Skrillex! I want to be Skrillex!! How do I do it?

Hey, guys. Does anyone know how to make that massive bass found in scary monsters and nice sprites by skrillex? (YouTube - Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites) I've tried in massive but it doesn't sound as dirty or grindy. Anyone have guidence? Help would be really appriciated.
MPZ
13th October 2010
Old 13th October 2010
MPZ
Gear maniac

Do a few searches mate- this has been discussed a few times quite recently. (just search skrillex and dubstep) But here's the gist, as described in response to a rather weak "dubstep bass tutorial" on some blog.

"There's a specific technique to achieve this bass. And the biggest producers out there do it this way:

sine and two saw waves detuned. Split the freq's into 3 bands. Low (30hz to 150 hz), mid (150 to 3500khz) and hi (3500 to 20000 hz).

Then apply different modulated effects to both mid and hi channels. Think of chorus, delay, ringmods, phaswers, flangers, distortion etc.

Then when you have a little "moving" bass, you resample and import it into kontakt. Then to exactly the same as above but with some more modulation. Then do the same, then do the same then do the same.. you get it right?

When your satisfied with the basssound you import it in a sampler like kontakt again and put a lowpass with lfo or a chopper on top and modulate it.

Now that's a dubstep bass alla 16bit and 501 and the likes. They also call this a Reese bass, it originates from drum n bass (neurofunk especially). "

LOL- he forgot to mention the filter and modulation. using massive you'll want to modulate the crap out of a bandpass filter w/ the performance LFO going all over the place. Also watch the video below (gets posted in all of these threads):

Enjoy your wobble explorations,
MPZ
innoverse
13th October 2010
Old 13th October 2010
Gear maniac

Awesome, although the video wasn't explained that well (the guy skipped over a lot of the modulation and the camera was shaky as hell). How would I seperate the synth bands?
13th October 2010
Old 13th October 2010
Gear addict

copy 3 channels of the same sound to be stikestikestike

put an eq plugin at the first slot seperating the hi / mid and low

apply different stuff to each band. (ps experiment...)

http://soundcloud.com/mamonu
13th October 2010
Old 13th October 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by innoverse View Post
Awesome, although the video wasn't explained that well (the guy skipped over a lot of the modulation and the camera was shaky as hell). How would I seperate the synth bands?
tutorial was explained fine, I did this by following the instructions and copying the modulation

Anyone know a good synth for making dubstep bass?

I did things different though, had a centered synth which comes in first that tackled most of the mid frequencies, then a wider one comes in that tackles most the highs plus some mids and a sub under for the low end

used ohmicide for most the distortion
13th October 2010
Old 13th October 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

the subfocus tutorial tells you everything you need to know
innoverse
14th November 2010
Old 14th November 2010
Gear maniac

15th November 2010
Old 15th November 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPZ View Post
Now that's a dubstep bass alla 16bit and 501 and the likes.
I never do any of that...
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Gear addict

the skrillex talking bass is done by setting an oscillator in massive to "modern talking", and then modulating the "wt-position" with an LFO (or with automation), and then distorting that signal to jesus
I don't know what all the arguing is about. When I listen to my favorite Frank Sinatra Album it clearly was done in FL studio. Frank was anti Pro Tools, and Logic. We had a long conversation about it on his cell phone in 1965.
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmic5 View Post
the skrillex talking bass is done by setting an oscillator in massive to "modern talking", and then modulating the "wt-position" with an LFO (or with automation), and then distorting that signal to jesus
wow just tried that, didn't use distortion and was only listening with the laptop speakers but it definitely sounds like it could be what Skrillex used for "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites"

it sounds the closest when the wavetable is set to to bend -/+ and the intensity is around 12 o clock

what about this one though?!

27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501 View Post
I never do any of that...
I had to laugh out loud when I read that. And it's even funnier that no one is reacting to that statement. Hilarious.

All the best!
MPZ
28th November 2010
Old 28th November 2010
MPZ
Gear maniac

Quote:
Now that's a dubstep bass alla 16bit and 501 and the likes.
LOL I was just quoting something I stumbled upon on the internets- no surprise it's complete BS. Just trying to provide two different explanations of this particular approach.

I probably shouldn't have included that line- oops

Quote:
That's interesting- As tired as I am of the sound of Massive, the more I read about it the more I am interested, simply because of it's wavetable features, and the cool sounds I keep hearing that were created using them. I'm not surprised at all that Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites has one of those sounds.

Any other synths I should know about with this type of wavetable modulation capabilities? (forgive me- in retrosepect that's off topic)

Last edited by MPZ; 28th November 2010 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: an addition
30th November 2010
Old 30th November 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
wow just tried that, didn't use distortion and was only listening with the laptop speakers but it definitely sounds like it could be what Skrillex used for "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites"
sorry forgot to add that you need to set the modern talking oscillator down 2 octaves to -24 to get that tone, then automate the wt-position...
Deleted User
30th November 2010
Old 30th November 2010
Deleted User

1st December 2010
Old 1st December 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehoe View Post
haha I think we have a winner
1st December 2010
Old 1st December 2010
Lives for gear

Well done, what method went into that last example, alehoe?
1st December 2010
Old 1st December 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPZ View Post
"There's a specific technique to achieve this bass. And the biggest producers out there do it this way:

sine and two saw waves detuned. Split the freq's into 3 bands. Low (30hz to 150 hz), mid (150 to 3500khz) and hi (3500 to 20000 hz).

Then apply different modulated effects to both mid and hi channels. Think of chorus, delay, ringmods, phaswers, flangers, distortion etc.

Then when you have a little "moving" bass, you resample and import it into kontakt. Then to exactly the same as above but with some more modulation. Then do the same, then do the same then do the same.. you get it right?

When your satisfied with the basssound you import it in a sampler like kontakt again and put a lowpass with lfo or a chopper on top and modulate it.

Now that's a dubstep bass alla 16bit and 501 and the likes. They also call this a Reese bass, it originates from drum n bass (neurofunk especially). "
Talk about convoluted... I'm surprised the "biggest producers" have time for anything like that.
1st December 2010
Old 1st December 2010
Gear Guru

You don't need time as this would cost probably 4 minutes to do in any DAW, provided that you have any skill with it.

Really, it sounds like a lengthy process but it isn't. Furthermore, once you have your raw resampled material, you can take some of the audio you've used for an intermediate step, throw more effects on it and use that as variation.
1st December 2010
Old 1st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
Talk about convoluted... I'm surprised the "biggest producers" have time for anything like that.
err, yes they do. im lucky enough to have been a member of dogsonacid when noisia went from being nothing to being quite good, and the whole lot is archived, and this is one of the always talked about techniques when it comes to making a reese.

it keeps the bass from being distorted or phased so you dont ruin your thick low end when processing.

its only a few clicks away to set up a frequency split nowadays anyway (+1 software) thumbsup
2nd December 2010
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
its only a few clicks away to set up a frequency split nowadays anyway (+1 software) thumbsup
Crossover. 4 patch cables. Done. +1 hardware knowhow.
31st May 2011
Old 31st May 2011
Gear addict

Skrillex is freakin good! Does anyone know who mixes his stuff?
1st June 2011
Old 1st June 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Khan View Post
Skrillex is freakin good! Does anyone know who mixes his stuff?
i think skrillex mixes skrillex ... but seriously he says its all him in interviews
1st June 2011
Old 1st June 2011
Lives for gear

Skrillex has join heavy metal band "Korn"...
New horizons are coming...why not.
2nd June 2011
Old 2nd June 2011
Gear interested

I'm pretty sure he does use that modern talking wavetable in massive with frequency splitting and distortion. but what I think he himself actually does is find the sweetest note to play it in that has the harmonics and peaks he likes and then bounces it to audio and loads into a sampler like Kontakt. the transformer sounding phrase i believe he is using a LFO post bounce as an effect. a plug in like camel phat could potentially have this result and also offers some pretty harsh sounding robotic/metal distortion.

just what i think is going on though :p

oh and yes, if you do dubstep, ohmicide for sure. that plug is amazing. truly great for creating single bands of your bass to spread over multiple tracks or keep it all on one and let the plug split the distortion for you.
2nd June 2011
Old 2nd June 2011
Gear nut

Yo Rasseru. Thanks for the knowledge. Never thought of splitting the frequencies so that the deep bass doesnt get lost during the processing. You just opened up some ideas. Although I don't resample my tones I do a lot of processing to the signal from the VST directly.

My 2 cents on this thread.

Native Instruments Massive does it all.
2nd June 2011
Old 2nd June 2011
Gear nut

Just wondering, when talking about splitting the frequencies. I'm not familiar with Ohmicide so could you theoretically create 3 channels of the same sound, EQ'ing each channel filtering as needed and place distortion?
2nd June 2011
Old 2nd June 2011
Lives for gear

yes you could

watch the subfocus video at the top it will tell you everything you need to know
25th July 2011
Old 25th July 2011
Gear Head

Skrillex setup?

Are there any videos or interviews describing Skrillex's production setup? I've Google'd quite a bit and there's a lot of speculation floating around without much real information. Just curious
25th July 2011
Old 25th July 2011
Gear Head

Send a message via Skype™ to jtregoat
I'd wager that there's probably a copy of NI Massive in there.
25th July 2011
Old 25th July 2011
Lives for gear

All itb and I think his soft synths were pretty much all NI...he said recently that he will get some outboard gear soon but thats about it.
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search