New Reply
Subscribe
djhd
23rd September 2010
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear interested

Finally! Soluto improves PC performance

Wow, Wow, Wow!

After dealing with PCs for decades and resigning myself to increasingly longer boot teams over the course of the machine's lifetime, I came across this application, which is just so incredibly intuitive it's refreshing. It learns what is being installed at startup and intelligently (along with crowdsourcing) makes recommendations as to what you can remove safely.

These guys are not fly by night, and have actually won first place in TechCrunch's Disrupt contest.

At first pass, my boot time was @ 7:57 with 80 (!!!) applications running at startup. Being a work laptop, I unfortunately can't touch most of those, but will be trying this at home as well.

Needless to say, as much as we depend on our PCs for making music, anything we can do to improve run time would be greatly appreciated.
(and yes, usage data exchange is totally anonymous)

soluto.com

See an interview here on YouTube
23rd September 2010
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Guru

The fastest boot time can be achieved if you never shut down and just hibernate.

Things speed up pretty well with an SSD, too.

8 minutes for your work laptop? Good grief. What deems itself so important that it must be available at boot time? Virus scan I understand; Apache or a server can be started up later on.
23rd September 2010
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

pffft. My 5 year old desktop and 5 year old laptop both cold boot in 45 to 60 seconds. usually 45. send ME your money and I'll show you how to optimize. I might even post a thread on it here in the future.

Being a tech, I may play with it, but I don't like ANY tool that uses my bandwidth:

"we employ our free desktop application product to gather and transmit completely anonymous data back to our PC Genome servers for computation and analysis"
Boy
23rd September 2010
Old 23rd September 2010
Boy
Gear maniac

I wish things were like the old days when computers ran what you were working in and nothing else.

Somebody needs to make an OS that is just a DAW with a simple, optional web browser.

Base it on Linux and make it open source, and they will come.
23rd September 2010
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy View Post
Somebody needs to make an OS that is just a DAW with a simple, optional web browser.
Nope; you simply need to buy 2 computers. One big-ass workstation and another light-weight box for browsing and other nonsense.

Bonus points if you can summon the discipline to put 'm in two different rooms.
23rd September 2010
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Finally! Soluto improves PC performance

My solution is a Mac dedicated to Logic and music related plugs/apps. But I also have VMWare fusion and a Windows 7 virtual machine (VM) installed. The Mac side is only for music and I only boot and use the VM when I want to surf the web and such. I shut down the VM when it's time for music.

A similar thing can be done on Windows with a fast and minimal host OS tuned/optimized for music production and a VM for web surfing and apps you don't want cluttering your production system.

..ant

my weathervane mixes
Boy
23rd September 2010
Old 23rd September 2010
Boy
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Nope; you simply need to buy 2 computers. One big-ass workstation and another light-weight box for browsing and other nonsense.

Bonus points if you can summon the discipline to put 'm in two different rooms.
I have 3 machines going right now for different tasks like that, and I'm still not happy knowing every one of them has things running in the background that don't have anything to do with what I'm looking at at any given moment.
23rd September 2010
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhd View Post
At first pass, my boot time was @ 7:57 with 80 (!!!) applications running at startup. Being a work laptop, I unfortunately can't touch most of those, but will be trying this at home as well.
80 applications in startup!! What the heck are they all? I bet the majority of them don't need to run at startup. How many of those applications do you actually use on a daily basis? I bet fewer than 10.

Especially things like Acrobat, Quicktime, Realplayer, MSN and what have you that load crap at startup so that they load faster later on. Give me a break. I'd rather wait in the off-chance that I do actually launch the application, thank you...
24th September 2010
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

My old computer from 2002 (still working) running XP and Cobase SX3 boots on 45 sec. I tweeked it so XP use 68 Mb RAM. :D

My new 19" rack computer which I built myself is running Win 7 with 8 Gb RAM, 2 Tb RAID 1:0. It works like a clock. I paid 2/3 of the price of a Mac and it didn't have the same spec.

With Win XP the PC became a great DAW computer... I have heard a lot of complains from iMac users that there HDD break after only two years due to heat. And it isn’t easy to change HDD yourself.

Buy a PC and you do it in five minutes if you need it.
AndromedaA6,Casio CZ1,Elka Synthex(midi),Korg MS20/MS50,Minimoog ModelD(midi),Voyager AE,Prophet5 v3.31,ProOne,Prophet08 AE,Jupiter-8(midi),TeeBee MK3,Synthesizers.com Studio66,Yamaha CS30,Ensoniq SQ80
Drums
Roland DDR30,R8m,DrumStationII
Efx
Eventide H3000D/SE,Lexicon 200,Dynacord DPR20X,KlarkTeknik DN780,Symetrix 606,DeltaLab ADM1024,Korg SDD2000,Roland RE301,TKAudio DP1,Mu-Tron-II,MXR Phrase100,Sony MU-R201
Other
http://soundcloud.com/demokid
http://youtube.com/demokid2000
Oli
24th September 2010
Old 24th September 2010
Oli
Lives for gear

I use a multi boot system. I have three Win7 environments, and one Linux environment. I have used virtual machines in the past, but this works well for me now.

I use XOSL boot loader, and chain load the respective environment's loader there after. Only my Linux OS can see all drives. the Win environments see one shared drive, plus their own dedicated drives. It works for me. Boot times are tolerable. I also know how to do some stream lining where needed.
djhd
24th September 2010
Old 24th September 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid View Post
My old computer from 2002 (still working) running XP and Cobase SX3 boots on 45 sec. I tweeked it so XP use 68 Mb RAM. :D
That's awesome. Tips or suggesions on how you got there? I think the objective was more for folks who are not as tech-savvy. I do have to say their approach is refreshing having seen (+ tried) hundreds of these types of apps before. Maybe it's the fact that they're Israeli, and I've seen incredibly smart apps coming from there recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
80 applications in startup!! What the heck are they all? I bet the majority of them don't need to run at startup. How many of those applications do you actually use on a daily basis? I bet fewer than 10.
Your correct sir, but you'd be surprised at some of the stuff that's sneaks its way in there.

And BTW, it's free!
24th September 2010
Old 24th September 2010
Lives for gear

Experienced the same frustration , my pc , booted 50 seconds that was the boot time when I first bought it and after a year 1 minute and 50 seconds. Add to that all the usual windows problems and frustrations.

I got an iMac that booted in 18 seconds. After 3 years of heavy and alot of installs it now boots at 30 seconds. Snow Leopard on my brother's macbook pro boots at 10 seconds and shutdowns at 5. And of course add to this zero frustration since MACOS for the last 3 years has been extremely close to flawless.

Linux is also very fast and quite stable and is my second choice , but if it decides to piss you off it will seriously piss you off. Still its far from being as crapy as windows.
25th September 2010
Old 25th September 2010
Lives for gear

All computers are the same. They all gunk up if allowed to. I've seen top of the line MACs crawling to the point of the owners think they needed to BUY A NEW ONE? What the...

Just for kicks, I tested my desktop: 3ghz 2gig ram
41 seconds to XP desktop from cold boot - I could sped this up cutting things out in BIOS but why bother at this speed
58 total to completely caught up functionality ready to rock - if ya follow me - CPU usage caught up to 0-2%
that's also loading a preamp and midi controller drivers

I've seen Win 7 boot even faster than XP.
Navigation is quick also
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search