Login / Register

New possible Macbeth minisynth???
New Reply
Subscribe
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear maniac

Hi Lovebot- well thanks! Basically if the tests work well- I will be starting the production process pretty much as soon as possible. I hope to show via a video/pics the result! Some parts will have to manufactured abroad by my supplier which takes around the 6 week mark so hopefully by that time- things will roll out!
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

sonically would this be identical to the 3u and 5u designs?

the bigger modules might have more to expand with but would the basic tone remain the same so to speak
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear addict

That's great news. Can't wait to see/hear the progress!
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear maniac

Hey Zombie- most of the circuitry is pretty much Identical to the 3U and 5U modules that I do. Once one has acheived 'that' sound- it's hard to go back!
BM0
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
BM0
Lives for gear

I would be interested in a Macbeth mini synth. I assume the bottom are patch points. Looks pretty sweet. Lots of capabilities in a small package. A third oscillator would be huge, but I understand keeping the price affordable.
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken Macbeth View Post
Hey Zombie- most of the circuitry is pretty much Identical to the 3U and 5U modules that I do. Once one has acheived 'that' sound- it's hard to go back!
wow it looks great 2 LFO's, 2 VCO's, 2 Envelopes plus some patching on such a small surface

would you consider putting in an overdrive effect where you could mix the signal back in on itself or maybe even a sub-oscillator?
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear maniac

Hi Zombie- if you check the jack sockets there- you'll see that there are both VCF direct out and and the main out jack- it's common to take the post VCA out and feed it back into the VCF for mild distortion. Also the mix sectio does hit mild overdrive too when cranked up! Regarding the sub osc idea- I had condidered this- but I also wanted noise to be included as that is very typical to have in a synth and makes for a well beefy bottom end!
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

oh sorry i didnt look thru that section close enough re the signal overdrive
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Ken

I was lucky enough to snag one of your M3X's recently. I got it from Adam who I think you know?

How does this latest unit compare. Worth having both or to close?

http://soundcloud.com/opikoort
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear maniac

Hi Remote........glad you got Adams M3X! That one was one of the first and it was the review instrument in Future Music way back!
Well- to answer your question- the M3X and this current project sonically (osc-filter-vca) will have a familiarity- though the circuits differ- the essential 'type' of sound will be the same. Technically- the oscs, filter and vca in this design I'm doing are 5 generations on. I've learned a lot over that time- so I consider what I'm doing now as my highest standard! Side by side- I'd expect a difference,,,hope that helps!
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I had a M3X once upon a time. Loved loved the sound of it. This looks to be my entrance back into the world of Macbeth. Kind of wish it did have a 3rd Osc on it, but if the price is right, that could do it.
23rd September 2011
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken Macbeth View Post
Hi Remote........glad you got Adams M3X! That one was one of the first and it was the review instrument in Future Music way back!
Well- to answer your question- the M3X and this current project sonically (osc-filter-vca) will have a familiarity- though the circuits differ- the essential 'type' of sound will be the same. Technically- the oscs, filter and vca in this design I'm doing are 5 generations on. I've learned a lot over that time- so I consider what I'm doing now as my highest standard! Side by side- I'd expect a difference,,,hope that helps!
Thanks Ken

Looks like I might pick up one of your new ones when they're out. Keeping the M3X though!
24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

this is all very interesting developments. Im much more excited about this than the original more limited conception...
24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Im much more excited about this than the original more limited conception...
agreed.

although having 4 osc with hi/lo switches IS tempting and evil in itself e, i really do prefer a 2audio+2LFO approach with something that is normalled to do classic leads and bass - it's better for setting up sync and PWM modulators quickly

24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Gear addict

Yeah I'm also more excited by the latest incarnation. We lose an osc but the modulation options and extra lfo make up for it. Dual osc, dual envelopes, dual lfos, and noise..with a healthy amount of patching options (not a bad way to get into modulars). And if priced well and true to the Macbeth sound I think this synth will be a real hit. Somewhere between the SE1x and Moog RME. Ooh, and sometime before December
24th September 2011
Old 24th September 2011
Gear maniac

i would agree that the first design looked MUCH better. The new one looks very plasticy and cheap. I'm sure it will sound awesome but the design seriously doesnt appeal to me
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscow View Post
i would agree that the first design looked MUCH better. The new one looks very plasticy and cheap. I'm sure it will sound awesome but the design seriously doesnt appeal to me
I agree. First one looked pretty cool, the other one I didn´t like. To me, the design is very important. I wouldn´t buy that second one because I don´t like the way it looks.
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufte View Post
I agree. First one looked pretty cool, the other one I didn´t like. To me, the design is very important. I wouldn´t buy that second one because I don´t like the way it looks.

the 2nd design is just a render so far.. how do you really know what it looks like?

my guess is it will have a nice finish to it and quality labeling.

25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
Gear maniac

Actually- this panel design is the third incarnation of the idea- well, the third seen webwise! As I've stated earlier- the original idea looked fine at first- but then spacing became a serious issue. The second design used a 'groovy' looking aluminium case- but alas- to small to be practical and also I would have had to make a break-out box for the jack sockets. This current design is far more practical- it is essentially a 6 space 5U module that can be integrated into dotcom/moon/etc systems including the Mk1 system that I produce right now. Assuming this thing works as I want it to- I'll be designing the desk top housing to go with it! Which opens up further possibilities!
25th September 2011
Old 25th September 2011
Gear addict

I think you strike a good balance with the third design in terms of space, features, and patchability. Design one was too much like the doepfer DE, the second was somewhat like the M3X (which would still be awesome as a reissue with all the updated sonic improvements), but the third design is a way to get a solid Macbeth voice in a modular environment... And if it's still around 1000 quid it will be the best bang for the buck yet!
26th September 2011
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Head

Wow, everything looks awesome! I'm assuming the "vortex" layout picture you posted was supposed to have EG1 have a + and - output, rather than EG2 having two + outputs, though?

My only request would be that the filter be multimode. If this synth's filter is switchable between LP, HP, and BP, then count me in! Would that require quite a bit more revamping of the design to implement?
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
Gear addict

BM0
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
BM0
Lives for gear

Nice! Love that filter. I would love to hear some bass and leads demos.
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds great!
Spectral Climax
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebot View Post
And if it's still around 1000 quid it will be the best bang for the buck yet!
Yeah, you wish...a semi modular mono discrete analog synth for 1500 euros? No way...not from Macbeth anyway...
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
Gear addict

LOL probably right!

However, I thought he said he was trying to keep the 5U module version around 1000 pounds...I'm sure the desktop version would be quite a bit more (midi, chasis, power, etc). If this pricing is somewhat close,it might help explain why he removed one of the oscillators from the design and replaced it with another lfo (his Mk1 oscillator runs for about $800), but that's purely speculation on my part. I would search for the post where Macbeth recently said he would try to keep the module around £1000 but I don't have time at the moment. I think it's on facebook in the comments of one of his more recent photos/designs. It was never a definitive price anyway. I just hope he keeps the cost down... even if the module version would be somewhere in the neighborhood of the M3X price... it would pretty darn affordable and if he keeps the desktop version around the price of the RME I think he has a winner and serious Moog competitor.
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
Gear addict

HA! THat wasn't too difficult to find

Quote:
...expensive to put together- but not too expensive. That's the plan. People following this expect it to be in the region of £1KGBP
From August 1st, 2011; 8th comment!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Let's hope!

and if it's for the desktop version ALL THE BETTER!
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebot View Post
LOL probably right!
... it would pretty darn affordable and if he keeps the desktop version around the price of the RME I think he has a winner and serious Moog competitor.
One might think, but actually they should be seen as two different instruments that can do similar things, but both would still aid to a specific sound. Macbeth for that rawness I love and Moog RME for that liquidy squealch.
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
One might think, but actually they should be seen as two different instruments that can do similar things, but both would still aid to a specific sound. Macbeth for that rawness I love and Moog RME for that liquidy squealch.
Spoken like a true gearslut

Speaking from my own bias, if I had Macbeth I would probably not get a voyager. I would rather spend the money on modules or a few vintage monos like an Arp Oddy, but hey, that's just me! For the penny pinching among us, I think this new vortex/Micromac is a great alternative to the voyager RME. Lets hope prices are lower than one!
28th September 2011
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Guru

A Micromac of any flavour for £1k is very attractive to me.
Once it heads to £1.5 or more I'd probably rather buy more modules for my Modcan modular system.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search