Login / Register
 
Sennheiser HD 280 pro.....
New Reply
Subscribe
Raddler
Thread Starter
#1
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
  #1
Gear addict
 
Raddler's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 393

Thread Starter
Raddler is offline
Sennheiser HD 280 pro.....

Anyone using them to produce electronic music?? I know their not bass head headphones, but is the bass sufficient? Highs? Comments on them? I browsed through some threads on this forum about them, but I could'nt find much in terms of using them to produce electronic music. Thanx.
#2
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
  #2
Gear nut
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 111

hoffy is offline
I bought a pair because I couldn't be ****ed replacing one cable on my senheisser 270HD pros (or whatever they were called). Really shit that they charge so much to replace one cable!

Anyway, I don't like the 280pros anywhere as much. I don't find them particularly comfortable and there seems to be a little bit too much bass for mine. Comfort is definitely a factor I would have thought if you intend to "produce" on them- you might find them a nice fit, i don't.

I wouldn't mix on them, personally. I don't find it a particularly balanced mix. Check out the beyer-dynamic range... much nicer. Or some old school AKG's. My 2cents.
Raddler
Thread Starter
#3
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
  #3
Gear addict
 
Raddler's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 393

Thread Starter
Raddler is offline
Well, I have quickly tried them and yes I do agree they are uncomfortable, but as for the sound I can;t remember too well. I kinda like the fact that you think they have some bass extension however. AKG's are a little to flat for me on the other hand.Thanx. Other comments?
#4
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
  #4
Gear maniac
 
viberunner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Funky Broadway
Posts: 191

viberunner is offline
Is this for work in a noisy environment? If not you might want to consider Open cans. How about HD 555 or 595 in that price range?

I bought Sennheiser closed cans too, HD 448, they're for me to jam in a shared room (with girlfriend, television, etc.). They sound amazing, but stupidly bass-rich, not that I mind that as I'm jamming not monitoring. Oh, they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever put on. Like having your head caressed by angels.

Frankly though, Open cup would have been my first choice.
Raddler
Thread Starter
#5
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
  #5
Gear addict
 
Raddler's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 393

Thread Starter
Raddler is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by viberunner View Post
Is this for work in a noisy environment? If not you might want to consider Open cans. How about HD 555 or 595 in that price range?
No, they are for for me sitting quietly making electronic music!! The problem is that I bought a pair of shure 840 headphones at this store and I had to return them because they severely lacked some low end depth. The kicker is that I only get a store credit, and one of the only pairs of cans they have, that I think would suit me, are the senn hd280.

-The beyer 770 are way too bassy.
-The sony mdr 7506/7509/shure 440 will destroy my ears with their highs.
-All the AKG's I tried have very little low end (I can't hear the lower spectrum of most of my tunes with them!!).
-The senn hd 650's are too expensive.....
-The ath m50's i own, but are being repaired.could be six weeks.

So the last standing man is the hd 280's. I just don't wanna get them and then come to realize I don't like them ,because they won't do a second return. I just could go listen to them myself, which i will, however i kinda made a bad judgement call on the shure's and so i wanted to get some opinions before i buy the senn's this time.
#6
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
  #6
Gear addict
 
:Metaphor:'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 363

:Metaphor: is offline
I have them as well.

Honestly, I think they're .... meh. Nothing special.

They do have low end for sure. Plenty phat. I find them dull in the highs, and muddy in the low mids. And they aren't too comfy either.

They were a huge step up from what I had previously, but I wouldn't try to mix on them. I wrote a track in them and the mix was really difficult to deal with later on actual monitors.

Not the best choice, IMO.

from what I've read, for something WAY WAY BETTER in a similar price range, check our the denon ahd2000. Closed cup with the sound of an open cup. My next buy for sure.
#7
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
ChristianRock's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,465

ChristianRock is offline
Yeah you'd have to go listen to them yourself. My guess is that if you thought the 770s were too bassy, that this will be too bassy as well.

But the thing is, why is bassy a bad thing for headphones. I have the HD280s, they're good for tracking, lots of bass indeed. I don't like the fact that the highs are a bit over-hyped, but hey, it's for tracking, and I get to hear everything loud and well. Of course I wouldn't use them for mixing. But who the hell mixes with cans anyway?
__________________
Do you know where you will spend eternity?
My music page http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze
#8
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
  #8
Gear maniac
 
viberunner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Funky Broadway
Posts: 191

viberunner is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
-The senn hd 650's are too expensive..
Do you mean IMPOSSIBLY expensive, or "rather not" expensive. Can you beg, borrow, and steal your way there? If so, do so, It's an investment.

Otherwise, from the list you gave, the 280s will serve you well, I think.
#9
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
subby33's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,479

subby33 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
-The beyer 770 are way too bassy.
Funny. I'm looking for a replacement to my 770's, and I felt they were not anywhere near bassy enough.
#10
30th August 2010
Old 30th August 2010
  #10
Gear maniac
 
kubimusik's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 209

kubimusik is offline
To me the 280s are GREAT tracking headphones. They sound good, a bit hyped, solid lows, are LOUD (high resistance? Or low? Well, whichever makes the cans louder than other cans at the same volume setting...), and have great ambient noise rejection (some 35dB if I remember the specs.)

Like all closed headphones, they are too 'claustrophobic' for my taste for extended use and don't sound natural enough for production decisions. Again, all closed headphones have that problem IMO, at least all that I have tried. But that's why they invented open back headphones... So for monitoring I love the HD600s, though you may find them too "classical"? BTW, Amazon has great prices for cans.
Raddler
Thread Starter
#11
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
  #11
Gear addict
 
Raddler's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 393

Thread Starter
Raddler is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by viberunner View Post
Do you mean IMPOSSIBLY expensive, or "rather not" expensive. Can you beg, borrow, and steal your way there? If so, do so, It's an investment.

Otherwise, from the list you gave, the 280s will serve you well, I think.

lol. yeah 650$ here in canada is a little steep for me. Thanx for the advive, i'm gonna go give them a good long listen tmrw. Hopefully they'll let me demo them. By the way, are the HD 650's really that great? I've heard mixed reviews about them. Anyone using them to produce electronic music( techno/minimal...). I also heard they where pretty laid back and a bit boring. Maybe that's a good thing however!! How would they compare to the ath m50's??.I know them well.
#12
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
  #12
Gear nut
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 111

hoffy is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
I have the HD280s, they're good for tracking, lots of bass indeed. I don't like the fact that the highs are a bit over-hyped, but hey, it's for tracking, and I get to hear everything loud and well. Of course I wouldn't use them for mixing. But who the hell mixes with cans anyway?
Um, the original poster for one...
#13
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Ben F's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,183

Ben F is offline
I actually like the 280s- sound a bit like a normal consumer stereo to me. Not super detailed but that's good sometimes.
__________________
Studios 301
Raddler
Thread Starter
#14
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
  #14
Gear addict
 
Raddler's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 393

Thread Starter
Raddler is offline
^^^^^^^^ Yeah, i know, using headphones sucks. I live in an apartment however. Shitty neighbours too. I'm dreaming of the day I have a place to use monitors. One other question about the senn 280's.To those who have used both, would you say the highs are more or less hyped than the ath m50's? I got sensitive ears!!!
#15
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
  #15
Gear maniac
 
Hossegor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 283

Send a message via ICQ to Hossegor Send a message via AIM to Hossegor Send a message via Yahoo to Hossegor
Hossegor is offline
i had the 280 which were ok but nothing special.

after a couple of years on the road with them i exchanged them with the hd 380 pro, which i think are much better.

i can really recommend you those...
Raddler
Thread Starter
#16
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
  #16
Gear addict
 
Raddler's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 393

Thread Starter
Raddler is offline
Now i got those senn HD 650's in my head. They do carry them also at this music store where i purchased the shures. I can't for see being able to use monitors for a while, so maybe saving up for the 650's might be a good idea. Bloody store won't let you demo them though.
#17
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 580

alphaproject is offline
Funny, that I have both the 280's and the Beyer 770's and the 770's are much better but to me, they are not as comfy... I could wear the 280's for a really long time after they were broken in....but the Beyer's still hurt my ears after a few hours...and I still consider the beyers comfortable for the most part...just not for as long as the 280 pros.

On soud...the 770's have great bass and better overall sound than the 280's. The 280's are a bit middle of the road but still good for most people...and believe it or not I do mix with can's.

Plus....if you invest in the best cans possible, I'm sure that's better than shitty monitors/speakers.
Raddler
Thread Starter
#18
1st September 2010
Old 1st September 2010
  #18
Gear addict
 
Raddler's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 393

Thread Starter
Raddler is offline
So I went to the music store today and demo'd closely the hd 280's and the hd650's. I actually really liked the 280's, their was enough low end and the highs were not piercing, which is what I was after. IMO there was nothing "weird" about their sound, very well balanced to my ear, unlike some headphones I had listened too. I held off on buying them however and got a lucky break on the way home when I stopped in at a pawn shop whom had a pair boxed up. They tested fine and I walk out with them at 85$ tax in (saved almost 60 bucks!!). As for the 650's, well, i wasn't impressed. I'm sure they are good, but I just found there wasn't any low end bordering sub bass. I specifically recorded a kick that I use often and put it on my iphone, I could'nt hear any of the sub frequencies. This led to a debate with one of the clerks. He claims my ear isn't trained enough to understand how to mix bass properly, claiming that his 35 years in the audio field has him be able to mix bass properly on the 650's. I don't know how experience gives you the ability to hear frequencies that aren't there!! Suffice to say, i'm happy with my purchase. Got a potential buyer for the shures also. Anyways, that was my day in the headphone world
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Mike H / So much gear, so little time!
18
Demetriw / Low End Theory
1
dickiefunk / Low End Theory
1
fuzzface777 / So much gear, so little time!
3

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.