New Reply
Subscribe
rubberdave
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Gear interested

Best sequencing software...

Hi guys,

I'm planning my setup at the moment and I am looking for a bit of advice.

I currently don't know whether I'm going to go for Mac or PC, I know how much money I could save buying a PC so I'm still in two minds.

I know everyone has personal preferences however, are there any sequencing softwares on either mac or windows which are better for electronic music?

Dave
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Gear Guru

Really, any of the big ones (Live, Logic, Cubase) will do the job. Get the trial versions and get going; see how far you get with say, a few Youtube tutorials to create something that resembles a track. The choice between Mac or PC should be based on the software and plugins you want to run on it, not on anything else.

If you feel the application not thinking in tandem with you (this is hard to explain, but it's basically whether the designer's philosophy of how you should be working with MIDI and audio matches yours) and it's not due to you not knowing your way around, then skip it.

There's no such thing as better; electronic music was made with a variety of sequencing boxes and applications. Lots of people stick with a platform out of habit; in the case of Logic and Cubase which are around already for a long time, they've learned so much of it by heart that it feels natural.
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

reaper by far the best hands down for everything the end.
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler477 View Post
yeah, reaper looks about on par with FLstudio
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not untill it has global groove quantize...
And i still miss several small thingies.
But it's not bad as it is!
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

i'm currently evaluation Reaper. on paper it looks almost perfect for my needs but there are some things i don't like about it like how the plugins are displayed and i'm having trouble rewiring Reason into it.

i have only spent half hour with the program though.
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

I would highly recommend giving the PreSonus Studio One demo a go. It seems to be overlooked in most DAW discussions, but it's a very powerful and intuitive program with some great features and lots of content for EDM.
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

For sequencing, Cubase by far.
12th August 2010
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
For sequencing, Cubase by far.
I'd say "..by far" is a stretch, at best. I used Cubase for years alongside several other DAWs and, for every aspect of sequencing in which it was marginally superior than the competition, there were far more areas where it was marginally inferior or lagging behind the competition (depending on where it was in the product release cycle relative to other DAWs). Yes, Cubase is obviously a serious competitor in the sequencer market, but it's definitely not the best "by far."
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

For the price, compared to the big boys, Reaper can't be beat. I've sullied my fingers with each of them and I use Cubase.

My suggestion would be to determine the features you need and then pick the one that fits most of them. Then, really learn how to use it. Read the manual. Watch the videos. Use it for a year. Once you get familiar with it, you'll know what it can and can't do and only then will you be able to make an informed decision about which DAW software is best for you.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
Not untill it has global groove quantize...
And i still miss several small thingies.
But it's not bad as it is!
well reaper updates bi-monthly I bet you would hardly recognize it since the last time you used it, the last update totally revamped the midi editor you should check it out:

Changes: Leaps and Heaps

MIDI editor:
action to reverse events also reverses CC, works in event list view
actions that target a CC lane will target the top lane if no CC lane has focus
advance edit cursor correctly after paste preserving position in measure
better blink cursor appearance
clicking to the left of a CC lane will set focus to that lane without deselecting notes/CC
fixed CC events on one channel erasing events on other channels when moving CC with notes
fixed splitting notes in looped MIDI items
fixed step input actions when inserting X semitones below the current note
immediately refresh event list when correcting overlapping notes/CC
option to disable single-click selecting CC events
paste preserving position in measure will not paste duplicates
quantize, humanize, event properties, and filter windows stay on top of the editor
swing grid support
swing grid strength is set/edited by dragging handles on the upbeat grid lines [demo]
text box for manual entry of swing strength
when correcting overlapping notes, also correct CC events at the same time/channel
when correcting overlapping notes/CC, always preserve the selected note/CC
Custom colors:
action to reset random color generator (also resets default.palette if it exists)
if default.reapalette file exists, use those colors instead of random colors
default.reapalette (resource dir): text file of R G B values, one color per line
organized default custom color menu entries
preference for media item background tint strength, for selected/unselected media items [demo]
preference to automatically color any recording pass that adds takes to existing items [demo]
support for setting all takes created in the same recording pass to a custom color [demo]
support for setting custom colors per-take
MIDI quantize:
actions to quantize note position, or position and end, to grid
added actions and options to quantize notes only, or all events
added bypass checkbox to quantize dialog
checkbox to fix overlaps on commit
notes will move with grid changes if quantize dialog is open when changing grid or swing [demo] [demo]
overhauled quantize dialog
when quantize grid is set to editor grid, quantize swing setting is linked to editor swing
OSX:
better text field coloring
fixed 2GB+ file peakfile generation/reading
fixed a few graphical glitches relating to docked windows
selecting default system devices now allows differing input/outputs
Recording:
organized options for behavior when recording over existing items
recording over existing items can split the old items and add takes, create new items, or trim existing items [demo]
ensure that loop recording creates correct length files when "add new files on loop" enabled
fix for loop recording sometimes being slightly off the loop edges
new preference to discard incomplete first/last takes if at least one full loop was recorded [demo]
Takes:
action to activate take under mouse, mapped to "Y" by default (for "yes")
media item drawing optimizations
media items can be locked to the active take (to prevent mouse clicks from switching takes) [demo]
preference to link or unlink all takes when editing start offset (slip editing) [demo]
Tracks:
"Options/Show overlapping items in lanes" creates as many lanes as necessary [demo]
when showing items in lanes, items whose audio will mask other items are drawn in a higher lane [demo]
automatically remove tracks created by accidentally moving an item down too far [demo]
added preference to remove or retain tracks created by moving an item below the last track and back
Automation:
higher recording speed for FX parameter automation
refresh track volume/pan sliders when deleting a track envelope in read/write modes
Color theme:
added themeable colored bars to optionally display on selected items, active takes [demo]
added themeable colors for MIDI note/CC text colors (light and dark)
API: allow extensions and ReaScript to get/set take custom colors, recording pass ID
Custom menu editor: action list automatically switches to the correct section when changing menus
Envelopes: drawing optimizations when zoomed out
External sync: option to only use external sync on playback or recording, or both
Master VU: fixed inaccurate RMS meter calculation with some window/audio buffer sizes
Media items: draw media source end notch slightly differently for unlooped items [demo]
MIDI: fixed MIDI notes sometimes not being played when coinciding exactly with a time signature change
Nudge/set: checkbox to preserve relative item positioning in set mode [demo]
Preferences: new tab for path settings (default render path, default recording path, alternate peak cache path)
ReaControlMIDI: fixed reading .ins files that contain trailing blank lines
ReaGate: checkbox to invert gate output (when loud, duck wet signal vs dry) [demo]
Scrollbars: improved zoom button sizing
Toolbar: refresh custom toolbars after linking/unlinking loop points and time selection via preferences
Transport menu: fixed checkmarks on submenu items (such as external sync, etc)
Video: preliminary support for flip/rotate of video (video source properties) [demo]
VST: inform plugins if transport repeat is enabled
Windows: better audio device closing behavior when minimizing REAPER and stopped

All these people have "opinions" of a Reaper release from years ago... don't believe the haters.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
yeah, reaper looks about on par with FLstudio
obviously you are instigating, if not then you are a total noob.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Logic and Cubase really are/were built at heart MIDI sequencers.

I personally like Logic; heaps of users swear by Cubase, so whatever works for you.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Cubase. Once I got Cubase I just cant stop making music. The midi is smooth, easy and has every tool you could ever need, placed where you can find it easily. Cubase is just awesome. I only used Logic once, but in those 2 hours I couldn't even figure out how to lay down a kick...well i finally did then another 30 minutes to figure out how to quantize it haha. I fond it anything but logical, bu then again....TONS of hits are being made on it. It must be good, just not for me. I made my first full mess-around beat with Cubase in like 15 minutes. I personally can't get past Reasper's fugliness and mid 90s GUI.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

ELECTRONIC MUSIC PEOPLE!!

Try Ableton. Just try it. It's a free 30 day demo. So simple, but SOO powerful.

Mac out of preference. It'll last a lot longer than a PC counterpart with minimum maintenance.

Shy
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryophonik View Post
I'd say "..by far" is a stretch, at best. I used Cubase for years alongside several other DAWs and, for every aspect of sequencing in which it was marginally superior than the competition, there were far more areas where it was marginally inferior or lagging behind the competition (depending on where it was in the product release cycle relative to other DAWs). Yes, Cubase is obviously a serious competitor in the sequencer market, but it's definitely not the best "by far."
I'll reiterate "by far" and add that I get the results I want much easier and faster than any other sequencer (software or god damned hardware). I'll also note that I'm not into "AI", "randomness" or various unusual batch editing stuff, I "paint" exactly what I want to hear. Oh and I've tried desperately to replace Cubase and given a far more than fair chance to -all- other software sequencers until about a year and a half ago, so if by now some sequencer has had miraculous changes, that's great, but I don't really care anymore, maybe later I will.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

I like Cubase and Fruity Loops the most. I couldn't get into Logic Audio that much. Haven't tried Reaper.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

I use Cubase.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
I personally can't get past Reasper's fugliness and mid 90s GUI.
I got past it the minute I installed on of the hundreds of different skins available
Oli
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Oli
Lives for gear

I see no one is promoting Sonar; any reason for that?

@Cryophonic - You list Sonar in your sig, but do you prefer Studio One? Does Sonar do things that are missing from Studio One?
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
I see no one is promoting Sonar; any reason for that?

@Cryophonic - You list Sonar in your sig, but do you prefer Studio One? Does Sonar do things that are missing from Studio One?
I use Sonar for 90% of my work and have since Sonar 5. I definitely prefer and recommend it over Studio One, mostly just because I'm so accustomed to its workflow, but also because it has a lot of great features for electronica (e.g., step sequencer, MIDI tools, plugin suite, hardware synth support, etc.). But, I use Studio One as a scratchpad for some ideas and when I collaborate with another S1 user. The only reason I specifically mentioned Studio One is because I think it's a surprisingly excellent and easy-to-use DAW, but it doesn't get nearly the attention that Cubase, Sonar, Logic, Live, and FLS get amongst electronica producers.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Try Sonar, Sonar 8.5 also has an Ableton like matrix view for playing and shifting around loops or whole sections in real-time, tempo synced etc, plus the rest of the midi functions are all top notch etc.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
obviously you are instigating, if not then you are a total noob.
instigating - why is it better?

edit* all i meant (as a FL user) is that i glanced over the features and it has most of the ones i like about FL. - wasnt trying it on. i dont like arguing on forums tbh. :]
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010

I'm giving logic 9 a go (considerable investment over the years in time and €)
if it's crap (buffer bugs, midi unstable, etc.) I'll try Reaper. Life is too short.

also look at Numerology! Five12

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by api2500 View Post
Mac out of preference. It'll last a lot longer than a PC counterpart with minimum maintenance.
That's just marketing spiel.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasprouch View Post
That's just marketing spiel.
No. That's experience.

I have IN DEPTH experience in programming for PCs, networking and building them. I also have EXTENSIVE experience working with Macs in an Audio capacity as well as my personal machines.

Macs won't get sick as soon as you connect to the internet. You can happily get 5-6 years out of a Mac without any intervention. That means, hardware replacements, anti viruses, defraggers, cleaning up and by far easier to maintain than PCs in general which will keep it running for longer with minimum maintenence. For ease of use that is as easy as you can get.

I'm not talking marketing trash. I have used both. I'm talking from experience and I'm being fair.
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Not here to start a fight about mac vs pc, nor with you , but claiming a mac will outlive a pc is marketing garbage. Even worse, most home built pc rigs largely outspec retail macs in component quality, so are almost always better built machines.

If you said an Apple will outlive a Dell, you might have a point, otherwise...

13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasprouch View Post
Nope, thats your experience...

Not here to start a fight about mac vs pc, nor with you , but claiming a mac will outlive a pc is marketing garbage. Even worse, most home built pc rigs largely outspec retail macs in component quality, so are almost always better built machines.

If you said Apple will outlive Dell, you might have a point, otherwise...
I am not. I even said it's down to preference!
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by api2500 View Post
I am not. I even said it's down to preference!
my point exactly - preference and opinions...
13th August 2010
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Plz dont turn this into a Mac vs PC thread. Its already a DAW vs DAW thread, so why even go there . . .
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search