Mopho Keyboard or Little Phatty?
New Reply
Subscribe
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch View Post
yeah.. I actually planned to get a Blofeld keyboard along to the monophone analog one, but after all negative things I hear about the Blo's, I might just get the Mopho AND the Little Phatty instead.
Dunno yet.. will need some more days to sort my thoughts, it's a close race really and I can get happy with both I guess.
Tetra and a LP is heaven. You should save up, the extra 400 bucks will make WORLDS of difference.
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah.. I actually planned to get a Blofeld keyboard along to the monophone analog one, but after all negative things I hear about the Blo's, I might just get the Mopho AND the Little Phatty instead.
Dunno yet.. will need some more days to sort my thoughts, it's a close race really and I can get happy with both I guess.

Blofeld will give you a whole different universe of sounds...i don't know if it's wise to buy another monophonic analog instrument instead of this...the best companion for an LP or a Mopho is surely something like Blofeld. If you don't plan to spend much money on synths, don't buy instruments of similar categories (unless you absolutely need them because of your music style)...
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Gear nut

the LP blows away the morpho, and if you get an LP get a freqbox to go with it... DROOOLLZZzzzzzz
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///OSS View Post
the LP blows away the morpho, and if you get an LP get a freqbox to go with it... DROOOLLZZzzzzzz
Please tell us, in which ways do you think the LP "blows away" the Mopho? This man tries to make a purchase decision of some $$$ at least. It's better to give him a detailed explanation of our opinions.

A freqbox is not cheap either...together with a new LP, costs almost $1300 - $1400, and all this money goes to a very nice, but quite limited monophonic synth which doesn't even have a vintage sound...

A Mopho KB costs almost half the money of an LP and it actually has a huge sound and many more features...
Polarelch
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

I'm having sleepless nights cos I can't decide
I just compared the user interfaces closely and came to the point that the Mopho has more one-knob-one-function BUT they knobs are also harder to spot within the lot.
The Little Phatty might need a few more steps to get to a result, but they seem to be much more easy accessable.
Again, close race, but it feels like the Little Phatty is easier to use, with less left-half-brainwork...?
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again, close race, but it feels like the Little Phatty is easier to use, with less left-half-brainwork...?
It seems easier because it has less parameters to control. Mopho has a very easy interface too.
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Honestly if you already have the Mopho desktop, you should get the LP. You can use the LP as a controller, and tweak patches with the editor. If you had a Tetra I would say get the Mopho KB, but I don't see the point with a Mopho desktop.

You might also want to consider selling the Mopho desktop, saving up a little and getting both LP and Mopho KB.
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Head

Having played the two side by side I would still go with the Phatty (w/ CV). I like the Mopho and might buy one but there are just so many possibilities available with the MoogerFoogers used in conjunction with a CV modded LP. It serves quite well as a foundation for a modular system. If price point is the main factor then by all means go with the Mopho KB. It sounds good, has lots of knobs, and is more portable than the LP. The negative aspects for me consisted of the pitch and mod wheel placement and the 32 note keyboard. I say slash the keyboard while leaving everything else in place and add CV in/out for a rackmount knobby Mopho!
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundValve7 View Post
Having played the two side by side I would still go with the Phatty (w/ CV). I like the Mopho and might buy one but there are just so many possibilities available with the MoogerFoogers used in conjunction with a CV modded LP. It serves quite well as a foundation for a modular system. If price point is the main factor then by all means go with the Mopho KB. It sounds good, has lots of knobs, and is more portable than the LP. The negative aspects for me consisted of the pitch and mod wheel placement and the 32 note keyboard. I say slash the keyboard while leaving everything else in place and add CV in/out for a rackmount knobby Mopho!
The Mopho has a Cv in too (no mod needed). The expression pedal jack also serves as a CV in and you can route it to several of the Mopho's mod sources. I've done some crazy stuff with my friend's FR XS and my Mopho KB.
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like the Mopho and might buy one but there are just so many possibilities available with the MoogerFoogers used in conjunction with a CV modded LP. It serves quite well as a foundation for a modular system.
A combination like this (CV LP+MFs) doesn't serve well as a modular playable system IMO. It's just more about a "noise machine" with various effects...no extra oscs, no free signal routing etc..and all this gear together reach the price of a used Voyager or a new modular A100 system which are much better choices for that price...
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
A combination like this (CV LP+MFs) doesn't serve well as a modular playable system IMO. It's just more about a "noise machine" with various effects...no extra oscs, no free signal routing etc..and all this gear together reach the price of a used Voyager or a new modular A100 system which are much better choices for that price...
I didn't say it serves well as a playable modular system. I said that the LP w/ CV is a good foundation in which to build a modular system around. Oh and the FreqBox gives you an extra oscillator. Own any of these? A few foogers and a cp-251 can make some interesting sounds without the Phatty!
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf View Post
The Mopho has a Cv in too (no mod needed). The expression pedal jack also serves as a CV in and you can route it to several of the Mopho's mod sources. I've done some crazy stuff with my friend's FR XS and my Mopho KB.
Ah yes I didn't think about that having only messed around with the Mopho for a short period.
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Neither. I wasn't impressed when I played both of them. If I had to choose . . . probably Little Phatty.
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh and the FreqBox gives you an extra oscillator.

Freqbox can't exactly be used as a 3rd osc...here is what Amos (from Moog) wrote about it:

"The oscillator in the freqbox is basically the same as in the Voyager and Little Phatty. The freqbox version is a little stripped-down; for instance it does not have any temperature compensation so it is more likely to drift with changes in temperature.

If your LP does not have CV outputs, then the Freqbox will only "track" the pitch you are playing on the LP if the freqbox is in Sync mode. So, you will always have a sync'd oscillator in this arrangement... but it means the two LP oscillators can be free-running and tuned however you like. This can create some very fat sounds.

If your LP does have CV output, or if you have a MIDI/CV convertor (like the MP-201, for example ), then you can play the freqbox just like any modular synth oscillator, and get some truly obese and amazing sounds in combination with the LP.
"

So, to make it properly work as an extra osc, we either have to send the LP back to the factory for the cv out mod (this is really an impossible scenario for some people outside the US...the cost and the risk of transportation and the mod is very high for just a few cv outs), or buy a midi to cv converter. So, we talk about 130+290 euros (converter and freqbox)...for just a stripped down oscillator (which is usable in a range of 3-4 octaves). Else, we have to always use it in sync...

I don't find it a proper solution because of all this extra money (almost the 2/3 of a mopho KB) and the limitations it has.

Quote:
Own any of these? A few foogers and a cp-251 can make some interesting sounds without the Phatty!

How can some MFs make interesting sounds without a source?

I was about to buy a Ring Mod and an Analog Delay but i've changed my mind because of the price sum...i got a memory man delay instead...

@Polarelch: Sorry if our conversation gets a little off topic...it still describes some extra possibilities of LP...
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Freqbox can't exactly be used as a 3rd osc...here is what Amos (from Moog) wrote about it:

"The oscillator in the freqbox is basically the same as in the Voyager and Little Phatty. The freqbox version is a little stripped-down; for instance it does not have any temperature compensation so it is more likely to drift with changes in temperature.

If your LP does not have CV outputs, then the Freqbox will only "track" the pitch you are playing on the LP if the freqbox is in Sync mode. So, you will always have a sync'd oscillator in this arrangement... but it means the two LP oscillators can be free-running and tuned however you like. This can create some very fat sounds.

If your LP does have CV output, or if you have a MIDI/CV convertor (like the MP-201, for example ), then you can play the freqbox just like any modular synth oscillator, and get some truly obese and amazing sounds in combination with the LP.
"

So, to make it properly work as an extra osc, we either have to send the LP back to the factory for the cv out mod (this is really an impossible scenario for some people outside the US...the cost and the risk of transportation and the mod is very high for just a few cv outs), or buy a midi to cv converter. So, we talk about 130+290 euros (converter and freqbox)...for just a stripped down oscillator (which is usable in a range of 3-4 octaves). Else, we have to always use it in sync...

I don't find it a proper solution because of all this extra money (almost the 2/3 of a mopho KB) and the limitations it has.

I was about to buy a Ring Mod and an Analog Delay but i've changed my mind because of the price sum...i got a memory man delay instead...

@Polarelch: Sorry if our conversation gets a little off topic...it still describes some extra possibilities of LP...

P.S. My points to conclude:
1. Moog has a superb design, almost great build quality (pots are wobbling a little, the "rubber dye" on the wheels deteriorates with some use) and it can make a relatively small range of usefull, moogish and very powerfull analog type of sounds. It's possible to extend the range of the sounds it can make, but, it's a matter of money...

2. Mopho KB doesn't have such a great design IMO, it has a great build quality, and it can make a bigger range of sounds compared to LP. It sounds aggressive, but retains the "warm and lush character" of an analog synth. LP Might need some expensive externals to extend its sonic range, but Mopho has already built in 2 extra sub oscs and two very usefull routings: one for feedback and one for audio modulation between the first osc and the filter (superb addition!). It also has great routing possibilities compared to LP.

3. If i had to buy an analog mono synth today i would buy a Mopho KB again! (I had it as a module)
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Lives for gear

MoPhatty
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Gear addict

This is really a Coke and Pepsi argument.

Things that seem like a disadvantage may be an advantage and vice versa. the LPs four knobs seem like too little, but you get used to hitting the big buttons and grabbing the appropriate knob very quickly.

Also, while the Mopho has more knobs per function, they are pretty small, and they do indeed serve double duty.

Personally, I think both synths sound fantastic. The Mopho (with the sub oscs) sounds years better than the Prophet 08 IMHO.

Also, there's plenty of Little Phatties out there used, so you should be able to save some money.

For the record, I have an LP.

What do you like, Coke or Pepsi?
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Lives for gear

Having never used either first hand (but having heard lots of online demos) my vote's for the Moog LP. Moog filter + overdrive = heaven.
Shop around. You can get them pretty cheap from time to time... I've heard of people buying new models from major retailers at deeply discounted prices.

Expand later with a Doepfer Dark Energy, Oberheim SEM, or Mopho/Evolver desktop. Or a small modular :-)
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, BTW, anybody who doesn't like the keybed on the LP... if you were using a Stage I or Tribute they have slightly different keybeds than the Stage II, which in addition to small improvements to the keybed, also has an added strip of damping foam behind the key springs for a smoother/quieter action.
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:

"

If you buy a CV edition (Sweetwater) Phatty then the oscillator drift is insignificant however this is really only an option for those of us living the United States. The MoogerFoogers can be used as sound sources since some of their parameters will self resonate which can then be run through something like the MIDI Murf which equals.... instant percussion! You could also use the FreqBox run through the Ringmod with the frequency being modulated by the Rindmod LFO Out as an example. The only foogers I don't currently own are the Analog Delay (pricey) and the Low Pass Filter. As before, I wasn't saying the LP w/ foogers makes a great true modular. I was simply saying that it makes a good starter system that will teach you the basics of modulars while providing a fair number of CV ins and outs should you want to start building a larger system piece by piece.
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Schiller View Post
This is really a Coke and Pepsi argument.

Things that seem like a disadvantage may be an advantage and vice versa. the LPs four knobs seem like too little, but you get used to hitting the big buttons and grabbing the appropriate knob very quickly.

Also, while the Mopho has more knobs per function, they are pretty small, and they do indeed serve double duty.

Personally, I think both synths sound fantastic. The Mopho (with the sub oscs) sounds years better than the Prophet 08 IMHO.

Also, there's plenty of Little Phatties out there used, so you should be able to save some money.

For the record, I have an LP.

What do you like, Coke or Pepsi?
I agree with the Coke/Pepsi analogy and I just happen to be one of those people who likes both. The Mopho KB makes for a tempting addition to my LP but I should really be getting a nice analog poly first and then worry about adding more monos to my setup. It doesn't help that I have a RedSquare v2 and FR XS on my list either.....
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree with the Coke/Pepsi analogy and I just happen to be one of those people who likes both.
If you mean the Mopho is Diet Pepsi with its aspartame DCOs and the LP is Mexican Coka Cola with its real sugar VCOs, then I agree.

That being said, I quite enjoy both my P08 and LP equally.

5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
If you mean the Mopho is Diet Pepsi with its aspartame DCOs and the LP is Coka Cola with its real sugar VCOs, then I agree.

That being said, I quite enjoy both my P08 and LP equally.
Lolz... Honestly I can't stand any diet sodas and only really drink Coke if it's mixed with liquor. I try to drink mostly water but sometimes you just need that Mountain Dew!

Yet, if they made a non-alcoholic version of Frangelico I would drink it as a snack at work!

Room temp Frangelico out of a snifter = delicious intoxication!
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Gear nut

Moog wins here. But it all really depends on what you expect from a synth. I value the basic tone more than the synthesis complexity. Moog seems to have the edge in this field.
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Lives for gear

CV output will soon be more widely available on the LP. We've started making this a standard factory option. Not to say that all new units will have CV output, just that more of our overseas distributors will be able to order this option for their local shops. Keep an eye out!

I would also say, that a Little Phatty with CV in and outputs, has a lot more in the way of modulation possibilities than you might first imagine. Think sideways. and yes with this configuration you can certainly use a Freqbox as a proper third oscillator. It sounds jawdroppingly, rippingly good. If I say so myself.
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage View Post
CV output will soon be more widely available on the LP. We've started making this a standard factory option.
Any plans for a user installable kit, Amos?
5th August 2010
Old 5th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e6400ultra View Post
Any plans for a user installable kit, Amos?
I bet that they will never do something like this because:

1. There is a high possibility that something could go wrong with soldering etc...so, many customers might even destroy parts on the board... (except if Moog has foreseed modding and has the connections ready inside...not so possible IMO)

2. If Moog give the ok (and the instructions) for customers to make custom connections/routings on the circuit, they will lose money from the whole current official modding procedure to the point where some people will make their own kits instead of buying the official (and more expensive) kits. Saying this, i wonder how a modded LP circuit board looks.. Anyone who wants to share some modded LP porn?
Polarelch
6th August 2010
Old 6th August 2010
Lives for gear

So, I think I have decided - for the Mopho.
It has no downsides, full stop. The only would be the smaller amount of keys, but it's fully compensated by the comfy weight.
I just love its sound and its design, and it's possibility to go Poly, and I think this synth is *the one* synth that I can identify the most with. It's just my synth I guess.
But since I also need a Moog I'll save up for a Voyager next year, how about that
6th August 2010
Old 6th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, I think I have decided - for the Mopho.
It has no downsides, full stop. The only would be the smaller amount of keys, but it's fully compensated by the comfy weight.
I just love its sound and its design, and it's possibility to go Poly, and I think this synth is *the one* synth that I can identify the most with. It's just my synth I guess.
But since I also need a Moog I'll save up for a Voyager next year, how about that
Mopho KB+ Voyager is a good choice.
Polarelch
6th August 2010
Old 6th August 2010
Lives for gear

I had the decision in our band rehearsal today when I was triggering my mopho with my singer's DX7, and I just wished I had the mopho keyboard with me... it's been a close race, and I still *will* think if the moog would have been the better choice, but the Mopho is quite my baby I guess.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search