YouRock Guitar
New Reply
Subscribe
jbsbunyi
8th July 2010
Old 8th July 2010
Gear interested

YouRock Guitar

Hey has anyone else tried the YouRock Guitar? I just got it and it's a pretty damn awesome MIDI controller. Trying to spread the word right now, cause it's just too good a value. Works perfectly with just about every sequencer program I've thrown at it. And it doubles as an actual guitar too! lol don't really play but all my friends that do and have tried the guitar love it also. If anyone else uses it, lemme know about what you think too. Check it out here:

My Community - Index
YouRockGuitar
8th July 2010
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

There's a lot of mixed reviews going around the ol' internet on this one. I'm waiting to put my hands on it before I spend a dime on it.
8th July 2010
Old 8th July 2010
Gear addict

zercrossing, where's the bad reviews on the YRG as a MIDI controller?

I haven't seen that many reviews, and the ones I have seen have mostly been postivie or based on it as a game controller. There's actually little 3rd party info on it as a MIDI controller that I've seen. Got any links?
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

YouRock Guitar

There's a thread in the new products section and a couple of guys said u have to get used to it but well worth the money
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

price tag 199? i'd try it and return it accordingly if its an epic fail.

i can play a lot better on the guitar than keyboard, it would be pretty cool to control all of my synths with it.
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by :Metaphor: View Post
zercrossing, where's the bad reviews on the YRG as a MIDI controller?

I haven't seen that many reviews, and the ones I have seen have mostly been postivie or based on it as a game controller. There's actually little 3rd party info on it as a MIDI controller that I've seen. Got any links?
Lots of chatter on KVR for a long time suggests there are some build issues with units and also some software issues, though they may have been worked out. Lots of stuff about sensitivity and double note triggers.

KVR: The "You Rock Guitar" Thread
jbsbunyi
12th July 2010
Old 12th July 2010
Gear interested

yah guys i've been using it for a couple months now and it's pretty awesome for what i need it for which is basic music production. honestly, yah it does need some getting used to, but very little. friends of mine that play hardcore guitar seem to get used to it after like the third time through. awesome price point though for what it does.

EDIT: oh and most of those build problems that were posted on kvr seem to have been worked out.

Last edited by jbsbunyi; 12th July 2010 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something
13th July 2010
Old 13th July 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Lots of chatter on KVR for a long time suggests there are some build issues with units and also some software issues, though they may have been worked out. Lots of stuff about sensitivity and double note triggers.

KVR: The "You Rock Guitar" Thread

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up!
TRA
6th December 2010
Old 6th December 2010
TRA
Lives for gear

Bumping an old thread. Anyone else try these out?
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear interested

Yep! And I think it's pretty dang awesome!

It's got a few different playing modes. Most of them are sh!t like the stand alone guitar and backing tracks for you to practice ur solo skillz.. It's really quite bad! BUT!!! What IS awesome about this baby is that it brings ur synths to a whole new level! If ur a guitarist that is... Some sounds I would have never played around with, but with the YRG, now I do! Strumming some sounds gives sonic results that you would never achieve with the traditional (non strumming) keyboard playing style!

My Nord Wave has made its way back into my repertoire... U can't tell you how much FUN it is to control ur keyboard gear with a MIDI guitar! Too much fun! Im crappy at playing the keys but i can play a guitar just like im ringin' a bell, GO GO!!! Ooops... Started singin'... But that was the only reason I bought it and I am very happy that I did!

It also has a pitch bending whammy bar and a mod stick too! Another cool set of features which I haven't totally explored yet are the many different tunings this guitar has! Open tune, slide A tune, dropped D tune.... The list goes on and on!!
Over 50 tuning styles and I think there is also the same massive amount of scales. From common scales to world scales... Although I haven't used these features yet, just being able to control my synths with a guitar is worth $199USD all day long!

I would most def recommend one for anyone who would rather play on a guitar than on keys... It feels natural (with some minor getting used to) and is an absolute blast to play! Big smiles all day!

Ps: Get one!!!
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear interested

Yep! And I think it's pretty dang awesome!

It's got a few different playing modes. Most of them are sh!t like the stand alone guitar and backing tracks for you to practice ur solo skillz.. It's really quite bad! BUT!!! What IS awesome about this baby is that it brings ur synths to a whole new level! If ur a guitarist that is... Some sounds I would have never played around with, but with the YRG, now I do! Strumming some sounds gives sonic results that you would never achieve with the traditional (non strumming) keyboard playing style!

My Nord Wave has made its way back into my repertoire... I can't tell you how much FUN it is to control ur keyboard gear with a MIDI guitar! Too much fun! Im crappy at playing the keys but i can play a guitar just like im ringin' a bell, GO GO!!! Ooops... Started singin'... But that was the only reason I bought it and I am very happy that I did!

It also has a pitch bending whammy bar and a mod stick too! Another cool set of features which I haven't totally explored yet are the many different tunings this guitar has! Open tune, slide A tune, dropped D tune.... The list goes on and on!!
Over 50 tuning styles and I think there is also the same massive amount of scales. From common scales to world scales... Although I haven't used these features yet, just being able to control my synths with a guitar is worth $199USD all day long!

I would most def recommend one for anyone who would rather play on a guitar than on keys... It feels natural (with some minor getting used to) and is an absolute blast to play! Big smiles all day!

Ps: Get one!!!
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

As a longtime Ztar and Axon AX100 owner, I must confess I am very curious about this thing. My simple question to those, best if midi guitarists already, who own one is: would you feel comfortable playing the Yourock live, in front of an audience? I believe this would mean a lot, in terms of overall feel, reliability, potential for the thing to be a real-world tool of the trade etc.

thank you
best regards
Massimo
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

It's not a bad way to go for a cheap, guitar-centric midi controller, but don't expect to get a real guitar feel from it.

I like using it in tap mode, so I can play chords with just my left hand, while tweaking knobs with my right.
3rd February 2012
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear maniac

i had at for a while and in all honesty i can say you can only use it in studio situation (i have also used it in tapping mode most of the time). i would never use it in front of the audience as its not 100 % reliable. even though you get your settings right, loosen your strings to get better sensitivity you still end up with missing and random notes which is a shame but as its a cheap product you just dont expect it to be perfect. dont get me wrong for 200 USD its a great guitar controller but because of that it comes with its drawbacks .
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search