Login / Register

best way to use analog submixer
New Reply
Subscribe
arkon
26th May 2010
Old 26th May 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

best way to use analog submixer

Hi slutz

recent bouts of sluttyness have left my mixer out of inputs

I am thinking of adding another mixer to use as a submixer

what are the pros and cons of doing so ?

will noise or problems with gain be an issue?

what is the best way to connect 2 mixers together ?

main mixer is and A&H zed 428 which I like a lot.

there are about 20 channels of synths . more if you want to hookup more than a stereo pair from each synth.

theres about 8 channels of effect returns

I currently run 8 channels of DA from the DAW but I would like to run 16

I am thinking about getting another zed24 . I can live with 3 band eq and 2 busses for just submixing . and it would give a heap more channels

but what would be the best way to integrate the 2 mixers? how do you keep things sounding great and keeping flexibility ?

thanks!
26th May 2010
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

if you use a submixer things to watch out for are...

gain staging - shouldn't be a problem but you need to ensure proper gain staging at the submixer for all the instruments plugged into it and again with the submixer's main output sliders set to unity you need to adjust the gain on your zed428 for the inputs it feeds into. or if you get a 4 or 8 bus mixer and you use the sub outs make sure those are at unity and adjust ont he zed428 for all those channels. basically place each channel at unity, the mains at unity and adjust the gain settings to get the volume pegging at -3 db or 0 db depending on your preference for "unity" at the submixer, then feed that to the zed 428 and set those channels the submixer feeds into to unity and the zed's mains to unity and again adjut the gain input on the channels of the zed to unity (should be 0 gain on a line input)

noise - it will be slightly noisier, there is no way around this with 2 analog mixers hooked up in serial but if they are both decent quality it shouldn't be anything that's noticeable unless you have improper gain staging between the 2 mixers.

make sure you have all the effects you can on the main mixer and only use insert effects or inline effects on the submixer. otherwise you'd be better off just selling your zed and buying a larger mixer or using a second mixer as a seperate mixer in parrallel feeding a second sound card or if you have the spare inputs on your current audio device use those.

if you really are running out of room on your current mixer then you should probably go with a parrallel mixer set up ...

get a second audio interface or one with more inputs and outputs and don't so a sub mix but record from seperate inputs if you are recording something plugged into the second mixer. this means you can set up an effects cross loop by using aux outs or sub outs from each mixer back and forth from aux to channels from your current zed and again back from the newer mixer auxs to your zed. that way if you have effect a on the zed and effect b on the future mixer you can use effect b on the zed and vice versa. depending on the ins and outs and routing you may be able to use sub groups or tape ins and outs etc and save your auxes for effects sends and gain more effects possible by going parrallel...

and for a sub mixer i'd recommend the older mackie cr1604. it's really really quiet and it's channels are passive (no power fed to them from the power supply which cuts down on noise immensly) for one on the cheap it's the best bang for buck in a submixer. for the price you can grab 2 and have 32 extra inputs for around $400 if you hunt around $500 if you just grab any 2 that are on the evil bay etc...
arkon
27th May 2010
Old 27th May 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

thanks heaps for the reply

ive never really looked into parallel mixing , i will do some research

i dont want to be tied to using a soundcard though

currently everything is just patched straight in . press play on the sequencer and record on the pc and mix away. so much nicer than ITB
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search