How To Destroy Angels - What Kind of Synth is This?
mistople
29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Head

How To Destroy Angels - What Kind of Synth is This?

29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
Gear addict

29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
Gear maniac

Or it's just out of respect, and a cool name.
29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

hasn't reznor worked with one of the coil guys frequently in the past? i'm sure he has his blessing... or maybe even he's involved in some way..
29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
Is that Trent Reznor's girlfriend/wife/whatever?
Is he part of this band?
Hmm.
29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
Gear Head

29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
Gear addict

29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
Gear addict

29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

Why on earth would anyone give a damn about using the name 'How to Destroy Angels'? What a petty thing to get all hot and bothered about.

This project sounds amazing. Reminds me of the grime from Downward Spiral but real different at the same time. Thats a-ok in my books.
29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
Gear addict

29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
Gear addict

It's a great title and a pretty good record by Coil, but makes for a tedious band name, imho.

Lack of respect for the dead and whatever other moral lapses you perceive seem more like the product of your association with Sleazy and perhaps Balance than anything else. Perhaps you'd have been pissed at Coil if you were tight with William Blake or Igor Stravinsky, I dunno, but I contend that morality and integrity have nothing to do with this.
29th April 2010
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Is that Trent Reznor's girlfriend/wife/whatever?
Is he part of this band?
Hmm.
I once went TV shopping with her and Trent. Er, I mean I was waiting for my girlfriend's car stereo to be installed at a Circuit City in Emeryville, CA and they were there too. Weird eh? The weirder part was I discovered them after I ran across the street to Boarders Books and had returned with a remix album of... I think maybe The Fragile. There they were. Odd. When they saw us recognizing them (not hard as I has blue hair and my girlfriend, green) he looked like he was thinking, "Oh shit, I'm recognized." I wanted to walk over and say, "I come here after getting this (show CD) and you're here? Stop ****ing with me!" but instead I just ignored them.
30th April 2010
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonant Serpent View Post
Colleagues, yes, but there's been bad blood in the past. From what I understood, Jhon ditched the Backwards album that was to come out on Nothing because he didn't want to be associated with NIN and 'all those baseball hats'.
Completely false information.

Lots of bands name themselves after music/film/art anyways.
30th April 2010
Old 30th April 2010
Gear addict

30th April 2010
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

I really liked that Dewanatron 'Dual Primate Console'

That, combined with an old tabletop Galaga, could be the best date night ever.
30th April 2010
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

I don't know anything about baseball hats and I've never been shopping with Trent, but I love the sound (and look) of that teaser clip. My hopes are high! I just hope it doesn't disappoint.

Time will tell.
30th April 2010
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

man I clicked on this hoping for a discussion on gear coil used. I doubt either Sleazy or Balance would have a problem with someone else using a combination of words they used at one point. As a band name it is a bit weak though.
30th April 2010
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
A: (small laugh) Great... I was wondering how did you get in touch with Trent Reznor and Nothing Records? Or did they get ...
P: He contacted us.
J: He worships the ground we walk on.
A: (small laugh)
J: Truly.
P: But he hasn't spoken to us for 6 years either, so you can take the middle distance between those two things.

Coil, "Coil ****s Our American Minds for the First Time and for Good"

The baseball hat comment comes in later, but I've seen it in another interview also. Peter has also publicly stated that Jhon wasn't thrilled about being associated with NiN. The cross-pollination of the arts has always existed, but to take a seminal industrial album and steal it's title is lame.
Not sure how you can come to the conclusion that "Jhon ditched the Backwards album that was to come out on Nothing because he didn't want to be associated with NIN and 'all those baseball hats'." from that interview.

The baseball hats comment is clearly talking about american teenagers, as the discussion is quite obviously about how coil would feel if they became popular in the american mainstream.

Typical internet rumour mongering.
30th April 2010
Old 30th April 2010
Gear addict

30th April 2010
Old 30th April 2010

reminds me of tila tequila
30th April 2010
Old 30th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Your obviously a Reznor fanboi, so try not to get your little black panties in too much of a bunch. I was also friends with Jhon and talked to him several times about numerous subjects. This is something we discussed, so I know how he felt. I'm still waiting on a response from Sleazy, and if he allows it, I'll post it here.
You're obviously a fantasist.
30th April 2010
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

haha! one reply to the OP on what the actual synth is, and then 20 replies about goths crying over the band name, and bitching about trent reznor.

classic!
16th May 2010
Old 16th May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
I absolutely cannot believe that he stole the name of a Coil album for a band name.
Just for the record,

"Peter is an old friend and collaborator. I obviously ran the name choice by him first and we've discussed him contributing to the upcoming material in one form or another."

saw it on pitchfork
Pitchfork: Trent Reznor Answers How to Destroy Angels Questions on Facebook

Sorry to expose your fantasist streak RS.
27th May 2010
Old 27th May 2010
Gear addict

Edit: Forget it since it doesn't matter anyway. This is a gear forum.
27th May 2010
Old 27th May 2010
Gear nut

Everybody seems ok that radiohead got it's name from a talking heads song. Does anyone know more about the primate, at least more than is listed on the site. And if anyone is interested there's a new Trent song out, theme for tetsuo the bullet man
30th May 2010
Old 30th May 2010
Lives for gear

yeah that tetsou theme song is actually really good. Full of metasonix synth/fx sounds. Bit disappointed htda is so similar to nin though.

Resonant Serpent... pretending you were friends with a dead musician to win an internet argument, then deleting all your posts when you're rumbled is prrrrretty low. For shame.
30th May 2010
Old 30th May 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolkboy View Post
yeah that tetsou theme song is actually really good. Full of metasonix synth/fx sounds. Bit disappointed htda is so similar to nin though.

Resonant Serpent... pretending you were friends with a dead musician to win an internet argument, then deleting all your posts when you're rumbled is prrrrretty low. For shame.
F/u/c/k Y/o/u.

It's a gear forum, not an ethics forum. I could post photos of hanging out with Coil, NiN, Ministry, etc., but I owe you nothing. Keep drooling over lame music if that's what makes you happy, but remember that some of us were there when it was actually breaking ground and worth listening to.
30th May 2010
Old 30th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
... I could post photos of hanging out with Coil, NiN, Ministry, etc.
how about it then? you know,if only just for teh lulz.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search