MFB-502 vs MF-522 vs MFB-503
Old 29th April 2010
Gear nut

MFB-502 vs MF-522 vs MFB-503

So... I can't seem to find a definitive answer about the differences between these 3 MFB drum machines. I been thinking about getting on of them considering of how small and inexpensive they are but I can't make up my mind because I don't know what the differences between them are.

MFB's website was built int the 80's and doesn't have any information about the sound of these machines, except they're all analog.

I read the 503 is closer to the TR-909 and the 522 to the TR-808. I also heard the 502 is CR-78ish. That could make sense but its it true? it sounds like inaccurate and generalized statements and I would like to hear from whoever knows the answer or owns the machines - what are the differences between them?

thanks
Old 29th April 2010
Gear addict

Demos
demos of all of them

if bought a 522 recently and i really like it!
i have never owned an 808 or a 606 but know the sounds from the samples i´ve got and i´d say it´s somewhere inbetween.
i´ve tried a 503 in at schneiderbüro once, it sounds very different then the 522 and it´s not as immediate as the 522, but seemed to be more flexible in sound shaping.
sequencing the 522 is a little different you´ve got buttons for the 8th and need to hold "shift" to program the 16th notes. took me like 5 minutes to get used to this

these are great machines, cheap and good sounding, i´d highly recommend them...
Old 29th April 2010
Gear nut

I missed those samples, thanks for sending the link. I agree with the statements I mentioned I guess, 522 is closer to an 606 and 808 and the 502 has a more raw sound. The 503 seems to be more versatile but I personally like the personality of the other 2, more raw sounding.

Now I have to get both the 502 and 522, damn it!
I wonder how much the overlap since they seem to be pretty tweakable...
Old 30th April 2010
Gear addict

for house/techno i´d take the 522 as it sounds more punshy to me...
on the other hand if you find a used 502 go for it, they are no more in production, you can always get the 522 later on

have a listen to the 522 in the mix...
it´s a track i´m working on right now, with very little processing of the 522.
basicly lowcut on most of the sounds, little bit compression on the snare and a dip at 566hz, on the kick a small dip at 300hz, a 16th delay on some sounds and some buscompression going on
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 interstellar intercourse snippet.mp3 (2.87 MB, 2297 views)
Old 16th June 2010
Gear maniac

wow, love your track, rasmus! curious about the final version.
good hihats.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear interested

Quick question about all 3 of these:

Are any of them like a Roland TR-808 in that as a result of being analog, each Kick sounds slight different?
Old 6th January 2011
Gear addict

Does anyone know if the analogue circuitry between the two is the same? Ie are the snares and bass the same?

Im really having a hard time deciding which to get. I want "true analog" with all the knobs out to tweak (whey), but on a couple of vids the bass and snare on the 503 sound much punchier.

Add to the fact that the 503 has sixteen buttons for pattern input, none of that holding shift (which kinda almost kills the 522 for me). But there again, the 522 has individual outs. and more sounds! guh, its a killer. Its like they want you to buy both or something
Old 6th January 2011
Gear nut

nice track, rasmus, do you have a soundcloud/bandcamp/myspace etc. profile or maybe some released tracks?
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear
502 is awful... don't do it.
the other models are much better!!!
Old 15th March 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but does the 503e really not have individual outs??
Old 15th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but does the 503e really not have individual outs??
BD and SD have their own outs.
Old 15th March 2011
Lives for gear

Ah ok, final question is ..

is the 503 a clone of anything? I know the 522 is a convincing 808.

It seems that the 522 is much more tweakable in terms of individual hits.

Decisions...
Old 15th March 2011
Lives for gear

I'm thinking about getting rid of my 522. For the price it is not bad but it is not good. I get more use out of the ER1.

The interface is not very intuitive and the overall build is cheap and some outputs are noisy.

I would like a Jomox instead, but obviously there is a huge price difference.
Old 15th March 2011
Gear addict

I just got a 522 yesterday, I really like it. It took me about 5 mins to get used to the UI, and I'm really bad with this kinda stuff.
The build quality isnt as as tough an old Roland of course, but it certainly doesnt seem flimsy or fragile at all.

The only downside i've noticed so far is that the hihats bleed in to the clap output a tiny bit, but nothing worth worrying about.

I'm really satisfied with it, but I wasn't looking for an 808 clone, just a good analogue drum machine. It's a nice vibe, a little different from my others. (606, DR-55, DR-110, CR-68)
Old 15th March 2011
Lives for gear

Did you buy direct from MFB? Or do retailers carry these? I must say the 522 has given me GAS recently, great sound, very affordable and perfectly compact
Old 15th March 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi Gras View Post
Did you buy direct from MFB? Or do retailers carry these? I must say the 522 has given me GAS recently, great sound, very affordable and perfectly compact
I bought it used from someone who bought it from MFB, and had it shipped to Australia.
Old 28th April 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessem View Post
I'm thinking about getting rid of my 522. For the price it is not bad but it is not good. I get more use out of the ER1.

The interface is not very intuitive and the overall build is cheap and some outputs are noisy.

I would like a Jomox instead, but obviously there is a huge price difference.
I will happily buy yours. kid8088 { a t } g m a i l {dot} com
Old 29th April 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiking View Post
nice track, rasmus, do you have a soundcloud/bandcamp/myspace etc. profile or maybe some released tracks?
i finally managed to finish this track, took me more than a year

http://soundcloud.com/hannes-rasmus/interstellar-intercourse

touch of compression and very little eqing on the singledrums, but loads of compression on the drum group. all percussion sound are from the mfb-522.
have a look at soundcloud for more details and feel free to download and share it.

enjoy it fellow slutz!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search