Affordable, no frills, 3-octave USB keyboard MIDI controller?
SovietSpaceChild
21st April 2010
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Affordable, no frills, 3-octave USB keyboard MIDI controller?

Do these things exist? I could care less about pads, knobs, start/stop buttons. I don't want to pay $400 for a Novation SL 3 octave controller. I can get a used synth for that money. Are there any other alternatives?
21st April 2010
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

oxygen 49 ?
21st April 2010
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
oxygen 49 ?
this
SovietSpaceChild
21st April 2010
Old 21st April 2010
Lives for gear

That's 12 keys too many...but it might be a good alternative if I can't find a 3-octave controller.
21st April 2010
Old 21st April 2010
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Gear interested

11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
Do these things exist? I could care less about pads, knobs, start/stop buttons. I don't want to pay $400 for a Novation SL 3 octave controller. I can get a used synth for that money. Are there any other alternatives?
I am interested in this as well. A simple 3-octave, no fuzz, full-size keyboard. That is 37 keys not 49 (as previously suggested) or 25! They seem do not exist. The closest so far was the Korg microKey:

This full-size with additional MIDI out would be perfect. Why do all these manufacturers copy each other with the same products (2 and 4+ octaves)
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen-da-sizer View Post
I am interested in this as well. A simple 3-octave, no fuzz, full-size keyboard. That is 37 keys not 49 (as previously suggested) or 25! They seem do not exist. The closest so far was the Korg microKey:

This full-size with additional MIDI out would be perfect. Why do all these manufacturers copy each other with the same products (2 and 4+ octaves)
I have a Microkey paired w/ a Moog Slim Phatty behind it, it is indeed really nice, no frills. The keys are excellent as far as minikeys go, mw and pw's are solid offer good resistance, and the octave buttons offer a few different LED colors for each octave (range is -+4, last octave is blinking red). Drivers are way more stable than the Akai LPK25, too. Very tidy little controller. Really annoyed they didn't put a MIDI OUT on it, but otherwise I'd venture to say it is the most satisfying mini-MIDI-controller I've used to date.
4th February 2011
Old 4th February 2011
Gear interested

For some time now I've been searching for the perfect ultramobile keyboard controller, and for a second I really thought I'd finally found it in Korg's microKey. It's small, light, thin, seems to be fairly well made with a decent keyboard feel... ...and it's even got a USB hub built in. And then I noticed you can't connect a sustain pedal to it...

So, if you don't need sustain pedal functionality, this is probably one of the best options out there right now. But if you do... ...well, the search continues for me, at least...

Bag
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
Gear interested

I have the Korg Microkey. I really like the size and feel. It has a nice rubber feeling on the bottom of the key travel that feels like it should have aftertouch (but it doesn't.) My wife gets sick of the Microkey and laptop on the kitchen table though. The Microkey has a $99.00 upgrade path to a special edition of the Korg Legacy Collection (digital plus analog), which is outstanding.

Another controller to check out would be The Arturia Analog Experience, The Factory, which includes a 2 1/2 octave controller (full size keys) P&M - already assigned parameter controllers matched with several thousand classic analog synths ounds, and VELOCITY AND AFTERTOUCH.
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

I've also been looking for a 3-octave. Not sure why there's not as many of those, so many 2 and 4 octave boards, not so much love for the 37 key. And honestly, 2 octave almost makes no sense to me, 3 really seems like the sweet spot, and I don't get why there's not more interest in that size....i already have a full 88 key master controller, i'm just looking for something to put on my desk so I can get stuff into the computer easier without going over to my keyboard stand....
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
i'm just looking for something to put on my desk so I can get stuff into the computer easier without going over to my keyboard stand....
I have one of these, fits perfectly on the desk:

I don't use the feet on it, though. And mine is doesn't have clear plastic, it's all white.

http://www.tahorng.com.tw/midikeyboard.htm

Scroll down to GarageKey.
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCactus View Post
I have one of these, fits perfectly on the desk:

I don't use the feet on it, though. And mine is doesn't have clear plastic, it's all white.

Ta Horng Instruments ¤j§»¼Ö¾¹-MIDI Keyboard¥D±±Áä½L

Scroll down to GarageKey.
ah that's a really interesting idea, I like it. Do you know what diameter keyboard can fit inside there? I'm curious if it'll fit around my cherry g80-3000, which is about 18.5" wide

of course, let's not forget about another option, probably the most famous 37 key...

rock and roll!!!

but this kind of reminded me of that, but i like the garagekey idea better, I don't want to give up my cherry keyboard, this thing is like magic (cherry brown MX switches FTW)
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide View Post
the Roland/Cakewalk A-500S look pretty decent and goes for $200 new, no MIDI in though
i was actually looking at that same one (and some of the past, older models of it ebay), because i'm a roland slut and it's pretty compact for a 49 key, but it is a 49 key so it's not really an option if you MUST have a 3 octave/37key....i really like the patch number LCD screen thing too not many of the smaller controls have that
26th February 2011
Old 26th February 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
ah that's a really interesting idea, I like it. Do you know what diameter keyboard can fit inside there? I'm curious if it'll fit around my cherry g80-3000, which is about 18.5" wide
I have thrown away the feet for mine, so I can't measure the space, but that keyboard on the picture is 18" wide. Hard to tell if it's a snug fit or not.
22nd March 2011
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear Head

and how is it with USB to MIDI connection?

let`s say i have Korg EMX-1 and i`d like to control it with midi keyboard, so i could play internal synthesiser. but it has MIDI IN and korg microkey has USB OUT. do i need some expensive reduction? is it even possible?

i wasn`t able to find 3 octave keyboard with MIDI out. i don`t believe it exist
22nd March 2011
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfade View Post
and how is it with USB to MIDI connection?

let`s say i have Korg EMX-1 and i`d like to control it with midi keyboard, so i could play internal synthesiser. but it has MIDI IN and korg microkey has USB OUT. do i need some expensive reduction? is it even possible?

i wasn`t able to find 3 octave keyboard with MIDI out. i don`t believe it exist
Yes, they do not exist (sorta). However you could build a three octave keyboard yourself with Doepfer parts.

There are a lot of people who complain about missing USB ports on synths, but the lack of a real MIDI port on any keyboard is far more worse. All because those cheap manufacturers want to save a couple of bucks during production.

And why do they all need to produce the same sizes. Everyone (M-Audio, Alesis etc.) do have 25-keys and 49-keys and nothing in between
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baguette View Post
For some time now I've been searching for the perfect ultramobile keyboard controller, and for a second I really thought I'd finally found it in Korg's microKey. It's small, light, thin, seems to be fairly well made with a decent keyboard feel... ...and it's even got a USB hub built in. And then I noticed you can't connect a sustain pedal to it...

So, if you don't need sustain pedal functionality, this is probably one of the best options out there right now. But if you do... ...well, the search continues for me, at least...

Bag
A user named Aras Buntinas posted this video on youtube showing how to modify a Korg Microkey to accept a sustain pedal.

In the alternative, if you are able to assign two keyboards to the same midi channel, you should be able to play on the microkey and sustain on the other keyboard.
9th February 2012
Old 9th February 2012
Gear interested

Miditech i2 Control 37

This has 37 full size keys (3 octaves), plenty of controllers, classic MIDI out and in ports in addition to USB/MIDI, sustain pedal connector jack, and still is 59cm/23inches long, about 2.3kg/5lbs.

Miditech i2-Control 37

At about $150 US, looks like this meets almost all the constraints mentioned earlier in this thread.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search