Old 23rd March 2010
Gear nut

akai s5000 help

i am about to get one of these and would appreciate a bit of help please.firstly does the aksys software work on mac snow leopard and also how do i go about fitting a small internal hard drive.are the bits available?i see nowt on ebay.many thanks in advance
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Just buy a SCSI drive from eBay. A 9GB or whatever size one should be stupidly cheap. Google around for comparability information, but I got a ton of drives to work on them.

It should work with Snow Leopard. I tried it with Leopard and it worked fine. Haven't had the chance to try it since SL- but I haven't heard of issues.

Those are great samplers.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Just buy a SCSI drive from eBay. A 9GB or whatever size one should be stupidly cheap. Google around for comparability information, but I got a ton of drives to work on them.

It should work with Snow Leopard. I tried it with Leopard and it worked fine. Haven't had the chance to try it since SL- but I haven't heard of issues.

Those are great samplers.
what about the cables etc?do i need anything specific?
would my iomega zip drive on my emu e6400 ultra work?
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

i believe the AKAI takes a half-pitch 50-way D scsi plug. oh wait. thats the zip.?.. hmm. sorry bit of a non answer :S

i'm rubbish!
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swainclubber View Post
what about the cables etc?do i need anything specific?
would my iomega zip drive on my emu e6400 ultra work?
Yes, though you'd probably have to format the disks first. Get whatever cables fit: scsi is 100 per cent backwards compatible. Contrary to ide, scsi is not picky about drive selection, any drive will work no problem in your Akai. By the way there is a USB option for this model which allows you upload samples directly from the computer, even on osx!

Internally the drive should have this connector: 50-pin (aka narrow).

The Akai S5000 is 50-pin internal & 50-pin (HD) mini external, the one on the right pictured. Your zip drive is either 25-pin (pictured left) or 50.

Given the choice I'd get an internal drive and be done with it but that's me. Never liked zip disks, mo are more reliable imho. I use an old 640mb MO with my S-760.

Last edited by lain2097; 24th March 2010 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: **opps right
Old 24th March 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Yes, though you'd probably have to format the disks first. Get whatever cables fit: scsi is 100 per cent backwards compatible. Contrary to ide, scsi is not picky about drive selection, any drive will work no problem in your Akai. By the way there is a USB option for this model which allows you upload samples directly from the computer, even on osx!

Internally the drive should have this connector: 50-pin (aka narrow).

The Akai S5000 is 50-pin internal & 50-pin (HD) mini external, the one on the right pictured. Your zip drive is either 25-pin (pictured left) or 50.

Given the choice I'd get an internal drive and be done with it but that's me. Never liked zip disks, mo are more reliable imho. I use an old 640mb MO with my S-760.
thanks alot for the detailed post,its appreciated
Old 24th March 2010
Gear maniac

Yes AKsys works on SL. Not 64bit but it works.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear nut

i take it the s5000 will have an internal scsi connector and power suply as standard for the HD?
Old 24th March 2010
Gear nut

anybody here who uses aksys?i have downloaded it and hooked it up to my sampler.

i use mac snow leopard and there when i send loop.wav (drag and drop) it says sending but the progress bar shows nothing then vanishes just as quick and i end up with no sample on the machine.

can anybody please offer any advice?

it says this when installind the apmi classic not seize driver
the system extension /system/library/extensions/USBExpressCardCantWake_huawei.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry I don't use aksys. That error sounds like a driver incompatibility, dunno can't be of help

As for the internal drive thing, you'll need a molex connector for it iirc.
Old 24th March 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Sorry I don't use aksys. That error sounds like a driver incompatibility, dunno can't be of help

As for the internal drive thing, you'll need a molex connector for it iirc.
ok cheers.what a nightmare :(
Old 25th March 2010
Gear nut

Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

skip the old SCSI drive unless you flat out find one dirt cheap.

Get a SCSI bridge (IDE to SCSI) (but make sure it has IC chips!!!!)
NEW IDE 40pin to SCSI 50pin Converter Adapter Mac PC - eBay (item 230450465086 end time Apr-15-10 17:21:55 PDT)

Startech compact flash reader (Internal)
IDE 40 Pin to Compact Flash SSD Adapter - StarTech.com

Startech compact flash reader (External)
IDE CF - Compact Flash IDE Adapter - StarTech.com

You will need an couple cheap Y adapters and a 4 pins molex connector and pins and a compact flash card. You may also need some additional cables and or mounting.
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Watch out for those caps near the power supply (which is near the drives). They stay charged for a while after you unplug the machine. I hit one of them with a screwdriver once which created quite a spark and left a mark inside my machine. Everything still worked perfectly fine, but it wasn't a fun experience.
Old 17th April 2010
Gear interested

SCSI to USB converter?

Hi all,

Excuse my ignorance when it comes to this but I'm just trying to get my head around this sampler business!

So I've bought myself a second-hand S-5000, but I'm far too lazy to start loading samples one-by-one into RAM etc so I was looking at getting one of the USB interface cards, as they seem to be the most intuitive means of using a an outboard sampler in the present day. However, looking into this raised three main questions for me:

1) Why the hell are they so expensive!? As far as I can see its just a tiny circuit board with a USB port in it. It surprises me that nobody has thought to make a bunch of them and sell them on for cheap(er). It seems strange considering the software is freeware too. Anyway...

2) Would it be possible to bypass the need to add the expansion card by using a SCSI to USB converter like the one here:

Ratoc USB 2.0 to Ultra SCSI Converter, Synchrotech

has anybody tried this? I'd love to know if the ak.sys software can recognise the sampler using the adapter.

3) What the best alternative to using a USB interface is. I guess I was thinking about Zip drives, but that means if I'm using a Mac I would have to load the samples onto each disk from one drive and then play them in the sampler using another drive. correct? That sounds like a pain in the arse to me... despite the idea of having a zip disk for each project being slightly appealing to me in a retro kind of way!

Again, sorry for my ignorance. I hope my questions aren't too misinformed! I just resent paying another 150 squid just to get me started with my new toy... Someone help!?!

Ozz
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

The card is expensive because limited models used it and it came out in mid cycle of the product I believe.

The USB to SCIS could be one hell of a gamble IMO, but it may be just the ticket.

Zip's work ok, but I would look at the compact flash option as your best bet. You could always uses zip drives as media and store to a compact flash drive.

It's really not that hard to sample, and messing around with samples is where the fun can be at... It's not that hard to use the screen and buttons to make the sampler sing.
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

Hi,
I use aksys, just got a Z8 recently. I'm pretty sure you need to have the USB connection to use AKSYS. My strong gut feeling is the USB SCSI adapter mentioned will not work for aksys communication.

If you don't have the pdf manual for aksys I think you should go get it from the akaipro website, I know its in the Z8 section at least. I use it with XP so I'm not sure about your OS there may be differences.

For some procedures in aksys you have to hold the control key while dragging and dropping. For instance, if you want to load a "program" from the hard disk in the sampler into sampler memory, including the samples, you have to hold the control key while dragging and dropping. If you do not it will load the program without the samples.

When dragging and dropping from windows explorer to the sampler hard disk on aksys the control key doesn't have to be used. Same with from aksys to windows explorer.

I hear its not easy to find the USB cards separately. Luckily the samplers have fallen in price and you can find one with usb installed already. I think having the usb connection makes the sampker infinitely more usable. The only slight issue on my windows xp setup is that aksys loses the usb connection sometimes via a usb timeout, but all that is required to recover from that is restarting aksys which is fairly simple. It's not perfect, but a very good application overall I think.

I can recommend the Akai z8 , it must be one of the best hardware samplers IMO. The 24/96 fidelity is very good and the filters are great, also it has an IDE connector for its internal hard disk which is less of a pain than SCSI, IDE drives are cheaper, probably quieter, and way more choices. If SCSI related or headaches or lack of usb are a problem I'd keep my mind open to the Z series, or just getting a different sampler with that stuff already installed instead of paying too much for what I've heard is a very rare USB card.

I haven't used the S5000/6000 line but they might be my second choice.
Old 18th April 2010
Lives for gear

By the way make sure you update to the last OS for the sampler it's well worth it.

I couldn't get it to work without using a old pre XP machine to make my disks.
Old 24th June 2010
Lives for gear

Happy Birthday.

USB SSD FLOPPY DRIVE EMULATOR <--- Slutty aid

3.5" 1.44MB USB SSD FLOPPY DRIVE EMULATOR Replacement on eBay (end time 15-Jul-10 17:34:53 BST)

I just won a Z8 on ebay so.. that should be interesting. a Z8 is also in the MPC 4000 but I decided on a Z8 instead.. mainly because I get the feeling the ways that stand alone samplers respond to Midi is more ad hoc.. so you get more of those lovely midi mistakes by piping midi from external sequencer, than if you have a unit which has the sequencing built in.

as for the Akai SXXXX an S6000 should be worth it because the front end is detachable.. imho this makes ALL the difference. sat comfortably in front of technology like this is a must.

If you have any serious Akai Questions you might be well to see if the guy at Hollowsun can answer your questions.. he may even be on GS somewhere.. he should be well aware of what should work.. given he designed the Aksys interface and other things for AKAI.

There is one over-riding compelling reason NOT to use a SCSI HD.. = Noise
Old 18th January 2012
Gear interested

akai s5000 hard drive help

Hi all,

I wanted to install an internal hard drive in my s5000, so I recently bought a fujitsu mas3184nc drive... thinking it would be a simple scsi drive and would connect easily as an internal drive for my s5000! Little did I know there are loads of different scsi connections, and this one happens to be a "hot swap" drive with sca2 connectors! Doh.

After much research I have totally failed to work out how to connect the two things! I can't find any leads that look like they will fit both the drive and the sampler! I think it is the wrong type of connection, and that I will have to buy a new drive!? But for the price I got this one at you seem to only get about 80mb of drive space in a regular scsi drive?!

Can anyone lend me any suggestions as to connectors that will work between the s5000 and the hot swap drive? Or other drives that would work and wont cost much?

Really appreciate your time,

Thanks, Chris
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

the wide scsi adapters (80/68 -> 50) probably wont work

the usb -> scsi adapter definetly wont work with aksys , you need the expansion board in the s5000 . you may be able to plug it into the sampler scsi chain and see the internal drive and copy files to it

forget the ancient , noisy and close to death internal hard drives and get a solid state adapter like the one listed

or if you have aksys you don't even need a drive in the s5/6k . you can drag and drop programs straight to the s5/6k ram . essentially your pc hard drive becomes the storage . its pretty quick too .
Old 15th March 2012
Gear interested

Bumping an old thread, but is anyone using AK sys with Snow Leopard? i m dusting off my akais5000 but when i open ak sys i jsut get a white browser window...
Old 10th November 2013
Just bumpin' thread! Recently acquired an S5000 so maybe someone will write something awesome i had not thought of
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search