Teaching yourself Reaktor in the hospital
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

Teaching yourself Reaktor in the hospital

My band is working on the score for a radio show and a play. (You can see a clip of rehearsal footage here.)

In putting this music together, I've been opening old abandoned sketches and I found this crazy file.

It was written on a laptop while I was in the hospital. Many of you know about this already, but for those who don't: Dark, dark times indeed.

I'm a guitarist and songwriter principally, I don't really make electronic music. And I certainly don't have skill for it. BP's a rock band (kinda) but I really enjoy sonic "psychedelia" for lack of a better word. I just became fascinated with trying to learn as much as I could about different ways to shape sound. I've always been this way, my whole life. Beatles and De La Soul damage, I guess. But the world of software opened new doors. So I decided to learn while I had... downtime, I guess you'd call it.

No earthly idea how this was made... screwing around desultorily altering Reaktor ensembles. Totally high on hospital meds. Not euphoria, exactly, but not reality either. I barely recall making it.

Anyway, this aleatoric track isn't really interesting for more than 30 seconds --- and it's not even really music yet, I guess --- but I thought I'd share it with you guys. When I hear it, it sends me straight back to the hospital.

Free BP soundcloud, listen and download it if you want.

Enjoy.

cheers,
c
Old 9th January 2010
Lives for gear

your hospital story adds a whole new dimension to the music. the tune kinda sounds like a heart beat with artefacts.

it actually sounds pretty good on the laptop speakers. bounces to and fro in front of me like some kind of bonkers Willy Wonka machinery purring away inside my computer.

any moment now a large stripey caterpiller is going to pop out of a USB port.
Old 9th January 2010

funny how music connects instantly to a feeling from the past, a different place. like a smell, it can send you back. hope your heart is better, and the virus gone. thanks for the upload.
Old 9th January 2010
Lives for gear

You're band sounds great, right up my alley. Hope your heart stays the right size Chad!
Old 9th January 2010
Lives for gear

thanks for sharing this interesting story. amazing how deconstructed the drums have been...
Old 9th January 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I realize what I shared doesn't really constitute "music" (no real form or intent yet), but I thought you guys might find it interesting, given the context.

RE: near death experiences: I don't recommend them.

I am recovering my health. Going swimming every day now, looking forward to BP returning to touring in May. Putting out a 12" that I think will be called "Drapetomania!" this Spring, followed by an album this fall.

cheers,
c
Old 9th January 2010
hey that was actually a pretty cool clip

and glad you're doing alright!
Old 21st January 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the kind words and PM's everyone.

cheers,
c
Old 27th January 2010
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

The press has been very kind and the play has been selling out.

So far, I have enjoyed this process. I wanna do more scoring work!

If you're in DC, come see the play before it closes 2/13. (The day before Valentine's Day, somewhat poetically?)

- c
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear about your health problems.
Glad you are feeling better.

I am from DC myself and I am always rooting for the hometeam to do well.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search