Gear interested

10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

10th February 2012
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

I heard somewhere that the bassline to the Pet Shop Boys "Where the Streets Have No Name" is an MKS-80.

Is that true? If so what rev?
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Gear addict

A post earlier in this thread states that a Rev 5 MKS80 contains:
MKS-80 rev 5
VCO: IR3R03
VCF: IR3R05
VCA: IR3R05

However this site indicates that the VCA in a Rev 5 is actually CEM3360 + BA662 (plus MPC1252H2)

So the Rev 5 does have a CEM 3360 for it's VCA? ?
The site also indicates that a Rev 4 and Rev 5 have more or less the same VCA? (EHM-5226W83S the addition in the Rev 4 VCA)
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Yes, Rev 5 has CEM3360 VCAs too.
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
So the earlier post stating the Rev 5's VCA is IR3R05 is incorrect.
Many thanks.
Rev 5 should be:
VCO: IR3R03
VCF: IR3R05
VCA: CEM3360

BTW I've seen plenty of IR3R05's for sale, but the IR3R03 seems much rarer. Is this correct?
6th April 2012
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Yes it is although I might have a few available if people want some.
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Yes it is although I might have a few available if people want some.
From my understanding the reason Roland switched from Rev 4 CEM 3340 to Rev 5 IR3R03, was because they were worried about future CEM availability.
So it's rather ironic that now it's actually the IR3R03 is rarer than the CEM...
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauqq View Post
From my understanding the reason Roland switched from Rev 4 CEM 3340 to Rev 5 IR3R03, was because they were worried about future CEM availability.
So it's rather ironic that now it's actually the IR3R03 is rarer than the CEM...
True. And your preference between the two (rev4 or rev5) has everything to do with what kind of music you like making.
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herp Derp View Post
True. And your preference between the two (rev4 or rev5) has everything to do with what kind of music you like making.
I'm gassing for Rev 5 hence the questions. But also keeping in mind if an IR3R03 goes down...
7th April 2012
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually I don't think that was the reason. I'd bet it had to do with cost. The IR3R03 eliminated the CEM3340, EHM-S226W83S waveshaper, and the half of a 3360 used in the crossmod circuit in the Rev 4...
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Gear addict

If using two patches in layer mode on the MKS, is it possible to give each patch it's own midi channel, and have each play over the entire midi note range? ie as a two part multi-timbral synth, albeit with four voices polyphony for each part?
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to AnalogGuy Send a message via Skype™ to AnalogGuy
Quote:
If using two patches in layer mode on the MKS, is it possible to give each patch it's own midi channel, and have each play over the entire midi note range? ie as a two part multi-timbral synth, albeit with four voices polyphony for each part?
Yes, that's right. It's exactly same as in MKS-70, being true bi-timbral means you can have two totally independent sounds at the same time and therefore both patches can contain totally separated options configured.

But I must agree that MKS-80 really shines when you put 2 same patches layered so it creates incredibly wide stereo sound. There's even build-in Detune parameter to add detune between the 2 patches!
"I'm totally opposed to all these expensive bullshit computers (sequencers). They can do whatever you want but not in the time you want. People have lost the essence of time. One said to me: "With this new computer I can create something in one or two minutes". This is an eternity. I can do that in a split second. But the split second doesn't come into account because the previous computer could do it in 10 minutes - so for them, 10 minutes to two minutes is really great progress!" - Vangelis
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Audio here.

MKS 80 rev4 followed by rev5, same notes and settings.

Hope this helps.
These two audio clips can't be used for anything. The rev 4 and 5 sound the same. HOWEVER if you port a rev 4 patch to a rev 5 MKS80 then there's a difference. But as it says in the service notes of the MKS-80: 'Patches made on rev 4 ported to rev 5 needs some parameter ajustment to sound the same'.

It all comes down to the way the ajustments are done in the synths. The ajustment values are different in the rev 5 compared to the rev 4. Never just look at the IC's used in a synth. There's so much more important things that influence on the final sound output than if a CEM or IR or SSM or whatever is used.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68000 View Post
These two audio clips can't be used for anything. The rev 4 and 5 sound the same. HOWEVER if you port a rev 4 patch to a rev 5 MKS80 then there's a difference. But as it says in the service notes of the MKS-80: 'Patches made on rev 4 ported to rev 5 needs some parameter ajustment to sound the same'.

It all comes down to the way the ajustments are done in the synths. The ajustment values are different in the rev 5 compared to the rev 4. Never just look at the IC's used in a synth. There's so much more important things that influence on the final sound output than if a CEM or IR or SSM or whatever is used.
It also says in the manual that Rev 5 machines were deliberately tuned so that they couldn't over crossmodulate and that the resonance wouldn't self oscillate. I'd love to know how to tune the resonance internally on a rev 5 machine.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear maniac

The resonance doesn't self-oscillate on the rev 4 either....
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

They sound different, character wise.

CEM VCO doesn't sound like the Roland VCO. The Roland one sounds more like a Roland
Smoother and more glowy. Almost like comparing a chip version of the JP8's VCO vs the JP6's CEM VCO

The filter is different too - different chip
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
It also says in the manual that Rev 5 machines were deliberately tuned so that they couldn't over crossmodulate and that the resonance wouldn't self oscillate. I'd love to know how to tune the resonance internally on a rev 5 machine.
Close, but actually, it was to prevent clipping in unison when resonance was cranked.
23rd April 2012
Old 23rd April 2012
Lives for gear

I just picked up one of these with programmer
Last week, got a pretty good deal on it.

All I can say is I was totally blown away by the fidelity
And general overall sound quality.

These synths are big sounding with some great high end sparkle
And I,ve had an Omega 8 for some time.

The only thing that bugs me is programming patches
Being that 2 tones can make up a patch, it,s too easy to overwrite
A tone being used in another patch somewhere else.

LK
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Psst...just like Prophet and Mini revs, there really isn't the huge sonic difference between em that some like to believe.

The biggest difference with any of these is simply how they're programmed n' used.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass View Post
Psst...just like Prophet and Mini revs, there really isn't the huge sonic difference between em that some like to believe.

The biggest difference with any of these is simply how they're programmed n' used.
+1 That's the truth of it. I have 'em both sitting here in front of me and can confirm that they sound very, very close indeed. Sure, there are differences, but they are very subtle.

The idea that one Rev is better for certain styles of music is amusing!
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf View Post
+1 That's the truth of it. I have 'em both sitting here in front of me and can confirm that they sound very, very close indeed. Sure, there are differences, but they are very subtle.

The idea that one Rev is better for certain styles of music is amusing!
Not really that subtle IMO

The filter is so different. ie Juno filter chip vs JX8P filter chip...

The Thopbass patch below from the rev 4 is impossible to do on the rev5! A classic Roland reso bass, ala SH series. Because of the filter/envelope differences - so for dancey type sounds rev 4 is better

Again check my comparo clips I did a decade ago... rev 5 better for PWM and strings etc, much smoother and reminds of the JP8. The rev 4 has a harsher CEM VCO tone.
MKS80 rev 4 and 5
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 CCJ_MKS80_rev4_ThopBass.mp3 (560.9 KB, 102 views)
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

I created these (rough - best guess!) versions of your Thop Bass by setting my programmer to manual on both Rev 4 and Rev 5 machines to keep the same settings on each synth, then tweaked the Rev 5's filter cut-off to match the Rev 4.

Sure, there are differences, but not so huge that I'd really worry about it. With a tweak or two more I'm sure I could get them closer.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Rev 4.mp3 (636.3 KB, 135 views)
File Type: mp3 Rev 5.mp3 (636.3 KB, 129 views)
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I created these (rough - best guess!) versions of your Thop Bass by setting my programmer to manual on both Rev 4 and Rev 5 machines to keep the same settings on each synth, then tweaked the Rev 5's filter cut-off to match the Rev 4.

Sure, there are differences, but not so huge that I'd really worry about it. With a tweak or two more I'm sure I could get them closer.
Nice work. I always felt (from listening online) that they sounded most different with the filter open more, as the sound of the oscillators was made more apparent. Nevertheless, these sound pretty close.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

You got close on the clip, but I play them both they react and program quite differently. There is a "Yuck" zone on the Rev 5 filter with some resonance that the rev 4 does not have for these types of sounds
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
ear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
There is a "Yuck" zone on the Rev 5 filter with some resonance that the rev 4 does not have for these types of sounds
Could you please post an example of that then? The one above is definitely replicable. I like a challenge and any excuse to play with the MKS80
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWiggly View Post
Could you please post an example of that then? The one above is definitely replicable. I like a challenge and any excuse to play with the MKS80
Don't have a Rev 4 anymore, just the rev 5. I prefer the smoother and sweeter Roland tone of the rev 5 which is why I sold the rev 4, but some certain parts of the filter range for bass and other sounds just sound bad to me. A kind of wooly muddy thickness in the lower mids. You don't get this with the IR309 filter chip as used on my Jp8 and Juno 106. Neither does the rev 4 exhibt this.
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herp Derp View Post
I'm on the verge of possibly buying a Rev 5. I'm curious about this comment. Can anyone shed some more light on this? The music I do is more along the lines of Beatles, Zero7, and Motown. But with my new synth acquisitions I plan on adding elements similar to Boards of Canada, Orbital, Ulrich Schnauss... I'm sure both rev's would inspire me but considering my musical area is one rev more appropriate than the other?

Also as far as the rev 5 goes, would it be wise if I bought one to stock up on these chips? Are these known to go bad often? And are these chips actually available if you really looked? Or would the rev 4's be an easier fix?
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
I'm on the verge of possibly buying a Rev 5. I'm curious about this comment. Can anyone shed some more light on this? The music I do is more along the lines of Beatles, Zero7, and Motown. But with my new synth acquisitions I plan on adding elements similar to Boards of Canada, Orbital, Ulrich Schnauss... I'm sure both rev's would inspire me but considering my musical area is one rev more appropriate than the other?

Also as far as the rev 5 goes, would it be wise if I bought one to stock up on these chips? Are these known to go bad often? And are these chips actually available if you really looked? Or would the rev 4's be an easier fix?
i've never really heard about mks-80 breaking down that horribly and not being able to find parts. the only thing super rare in the rev5 is the roland osc chips and I've never heard of one dying. I'm sure it's possible, and if it happened it would probably be quite annoying to find another, but i've just not heard of that happening. recap the power supply every 10-20 years to prevent any major failures and you're probably fine.

as for rev4/5 for a particular STYLE of music? I dunno, you may be better with a rev5 for the more mellow ambient stuff. the rev4 is better at bass stabs and stuff like that. rev5 better for pads and such.

roland poly synths in general are probably some of the more reliable ones out there. short of the juno 106 anyway.
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
ear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
see post 111. Seriously, your choice will have no bearing on the type of music you wish to make with it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search