Best weighted key midi controller?
jmmpdx
25th December 2009
Old 25th December 2009
Gear interested

Best weighted key midi controller?

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone can give me some ideas about what the most realistic weighted key midi controllers are.
I'm looking for something that focuses more on the feel of the keys and less on the peripheral controls.
I wanted to buy a piano but that probably wouldn't go over too well in my apartment. I thought about a digital piano but I don't really like the voice quality.
Since I already have ample midi software with great sounds, I thought I would just get a fully weighted midi controller. What are some of the best bang for your buck products out there?

Thanks!
25th December 2009
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

Some that I like.
I had a bigger list at one point.
These are hammer action and can wreck up the insides of your fingers.

I see a Yamaha KX88 in austin for $300.

YAMAHA KX88
PEAVEY DPM C8 MIDI PERFORMANCE CONTROLLER KEYBOARD-88
Kurzweil Midiboard
25th December 2009
Old 25th December 2009
Lives for gear

Studiologic SL 880 PRO

"88-note keyboard with weighted hammer action with Channel Aftertouch"
25th December 2009
Old 25th December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmpdx View Post
I thought about a digital piano but I don't really like the voice quality.
Still, these generally have the edge over regular weighted controllers. I have an FP7 myself, so that's kind of expensive for just controller duties - but the weighted keys feel a lot better than most of the stuff out there.

It does depend a lot on personal taste, whether you think the feel or weight is realistic enough.
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Very interested to see how the feel of Fatar Numa Nano is if it ever comes out.
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Hi like using my Roland RD-300 as a weighted midi controller .. or something like an MKB-300/1000 works as well if you can find one.
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- View Post
Some that I like.
I had a bigger list at one point.
These are hammer action and can wreck up the insides of your fingers.

I see a Yamaha KX88 in austin for $300.

YAMAHA KX88
PEAVEY DPM C8 MIDI PERFORMANCE CONTROLLER KEYBOARD-88
Kurzweil Midiboard
kx88 has the most realistic hammer action imo

roland a80 and a90 also use the same mechanism as the kx88 just tweaked a bit differently.

if you buy one of these keyboards get the felt replaced and get the internal battery replaced.

If the keys make a knocking sound like they are hitting wood or the frame etc... it is because the felt has been worn down.
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
If you don't mind the name, Casio has one I had and really liked for under $300--good feel on the keys, and has speakers (that you can't really see) so you can just jam without turning on the whole studio--a few of the patches sound really good, actually, and it doesn't look bad, either, not cheesy at all. Forget the model, but I played all the ones at (gasp!) GC, and like that much better than even the more expensive ones. Weighted keys are too much for my post-tendinitis existence, so I sold it for non-weighted.
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmpdx View Post
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone can give me some ideas about what the most realistic weighted key midi controllers are.
I'm looking for something that focuses more on the feel of the keys and less on the peripheral controls.
I wanted to buy a piano but that probably wouldn't go over too well in my apartment. I thought about a digital piano but I don't really like the voice quality.
Since I already have ample midi software with great sounds, I thought I would just get a fully weighted midi controller. What are some of the best bang for your buck products out there?

Thanks!
I have owned many controllers in my life ... I think I can help you here .

Fatar sl880 or any of their new ones. I can only make you aware of shipping these keyboards . They do not ship well at all. Buy one used from someone where you can go try it out and make sure it is ok ..
Fantastic sensitive action !! Just don't drop it !! lol.

Also Yamaha has made a very good 88 key controller. It is there latest one . also comes in a 61 key . I could have bought a new 88 one at Sam Ash here in New York for $275.

Dave .
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAWAX View Post
Studiologic SL 880 PRO

"88-note keyboard with weighted hammer action with Channel Aftertouch"
Great keyboard action...2 midi outs.... Just don't send it in the mail and don't drop it !
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Studiologic SL990
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Head

StudioLogic used to be Fatar. Look for something local as they are HEAVY AS SHIT. For that reason though you can sometimes get them cheap because people don't want to deal with shipping. Got one for $75 +45 min drive a while back.
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjc View Post
StudioLogic used to be Fatar. Look for something local as they are HEAVY AS SHIT. For that reason though you can sometimes get them cheap because people don't want to deal with shipping. Got one for $75 +45 min drive a while back.
The new Fatar Numa Nano only weighs 22lbs.
26th December 2009
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
The new Fatar Numa Nano only weighs 22lbs.
kx88 weighs

KX88

a lot more metal case etc they dont' build them like dthey used to
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuez View Post
kx88 weighs

KX88

a lot more metal case etc they dont' build them like dthey used to
The Numa Nano has an all aluminum chassis and a new keybed design which resulted in the reduced overall weight.
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

I'm currently using the Studio Logic VMK-188 plus. Keep in mind if you want aftertouch (A FEATURE THAT ALL CONTROLLERS SHOULD HAVE) you don't have much choice.

Stay away from the CME VX line. They are absolutely beautiful, very heavy...75lbs, motorized faders, and overall they pack many more features than most any other controller. The problem is...many don't work, and CME has horrible tech support. Feel free to browse the CME forum.

The most realistic feel, which is really quite subjective, was the Oberheim MC3000. Really for features and feel I have found nothing better...including Studio Logic. Unfortunately they are hard to find but come up on Ebay once in a while for under 1k. These controllers are still the ones used on the multiple Mama Mia Shows that have been going on for several years.

Yamaha KX-88 action doesn't feel very authentic IMO. GC was "blowing them out" recently.

M Audio feels like a step down from the KX-88 and very cheap build.
28th December 2009
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Yamaha KX-88 action doesn't feel very authentic IMO. GC was "blowing them out" recently.
i think you are mistaking the kx-88 (old) with the kx-8 (new)

this is the kx8 which you are mistakenly calling the kx88

KX8 - USB Keyboard Studios - Products - Yamaha UK and Ireland

i assume they named this after the kx88

this is the kx88 it was yamaha's flagship midi controller for 15 years, has a metal case, lead counter weights, etc

KX88
28th December 2009
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
The Numa Nano has an all aluminum chassis and a new keybed design which resulted in the reduced overall weight.
i'm not a fan of fatar keybeds, nor do i care for how they place the wheels above the keys rather then adjacent to them.

granted the numa nano has a LOT more modern conveniences
28th December 2009
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuez View Post
i think you are mistaking the kx-88 (old) with the kx-8 (new)

this is the kx8 which you are mistakenly calling the kx88

KX8 - USB Keyboard Studios - Products - Yamaha UK and Ireland

i assume they named this after the kx88

this is the kx88 it was yamaha's flagship midi controller for 15 years, has a metal case, lead counter weights, etc

KX88
Yes, my bad.......

I did mean the KX-8, not the KX-88.
djk
28th December 2009
Old 28th December 2009
djk
Gear Head

Any opinions out there on the Nord/Clavia 88-key stage piano as a main controller (and for sounds as well).

Also, what about the recent generation of Kurzweil boards? Do all of the 88-key versions use the same keys or are some better than others?

Thanks!
28th December 2009
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

+1 for the Yamaha KX8: best action I have experienced on a non-acoustic piano...
28th December 2009
Old 28th December 2009
Gear maniac

I have a M-audio pro 88. I would probably stay away from this unit. I usually just use my x5d.
6th February 2010
Old 6th February 2010
Gear interested

i realize this is an old thread... but i'm considering the Kurzweil PC3x as my primary weighted controller. does anybody have any opinions here? i live on a small island, so will be a while till i can go into a showroom to try one out.
6th February 2010
Old 6th February 2010
Lives for gear

casio privia feels real.
6th February 2010
Old 6th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ tbc ] View Post
i realize this is an old thread... but i'm considering the Kurzweil PC3x as my primary weighted controller. does anybody have any opinions here? i live on a small island, so will be a while till i can go into a showroom to try one out.
I had a 88 key PC1 Stage piano and it was excellent. Also small enough to fit under my flat screen on my desk!
7th February 2010
Old 7th February 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- View Post
I had a 88 key PC1 Stage piano and it was excellent. Also small enough to fit under my flat screen on my desk!
had? what do you have now?
7th February 2010
Old 7th February 2010
Lives for gear

Something dear to my heart ....

I had a look at many of the *great* stage pianos out there, I will say that without doubt the Kawai MP range are the best in my opinion, I love them, they feel totally real, amazing keyboards with real hammers, not a simulated action, this is the one I have that I paid £600 some years back on ebay.

If the O.P ever gets the chance to try one out then do so, myself, I wouldn't bother with the likes of studio logic etc.

7th February 2010
Old 7th February 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony--> View Post
Something dear to my heart ....

I had a look at many of the *great* stage pianos out there, I will say that without doubt the Kawai MP range are the best in my opinion, I love them, they feel totally real, amazing keyboards with real hammers, not a simulated action, this is the one I have that I paid £600 some years back on ebay.

If the O.P ever gets the chance to try one out then do so, myself, I wouldn't bother with the likes of studio logic etc.

yes, it appears from many months of my own research that the kawai mp9000, mp9500, m 8000, mp8 (v1, not v2) and the yamaha kx-88 are the only real contenders in this category.
7th February 2010
Old 7th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ tbc ] View Post
had? what do you have now?
I sold it for gas money!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search