'THE' best 80s synth to have
CJ1973
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

'THE' best 80s synth to have

Okay. I am going through a 'I wanna buy an 80s Synth' and want to know your thoughts. I currently have, in oldschool stuff, a Juno 106, JX8P, D550 and a TX816. These are my 80s synths. I am curious to know. If you could have 'Any' 80s synth, what would it be and why?
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Gear addict

1. Oberheim Matrix 12
for it's deep programming, big oberheim sound, reliability.

2. Rhodes Chroma
for it's deep programming, big sound, and expressive keyboard.

3. Roland Jupiter 6
for it's deep programming/range, multi-mode filter, reliability, and dope acid/techno tone... with juicy mid-range and bouncy attack.

I own the JP-6, used to own the Chroma (broken, sadly) and could own the Oberheim Matrix 12 in the way of the Xpander if I felt like owning one (considered many times!) I even have the money now

and I tell myself no no NO!

It's good to know that dreams aren't TOO out of reach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Okay. I am going through a 'I wanna buy an 80s Synth' and want to know your thoughts. I currently have, in oldschool stuff, a Juno 106, JX8P, D550 and a TX816. These are my 80s synths. I am curious to know. If you could have 'Any' 80s synth, what would it be and why?
CJ1973
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peglegjoe857 View Post
It's good to know that dreams aren't TOO out of reach!
Totally Agree. In my case, I think all this stems from when I was 17 and went into a Roland dealer in Australia and asked him where the sounds may be from for a particular record at the time and he pointed out a Roland JD990 I think and said 'its probably from that... but you can't afford that'..... ;-( two things were proven wrong. I can now..lol.. and it was no JD990 on that record. It had just come out!..lol Anyways, bring it on peeps. I need 80s!!
By the way, with the synths you mentioned, doesnt the Roland have no midi?
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Gear addict

Oh no, the JP-6 definitely has midi! It is just limited to note on/off and doesn't send/receive on different midi channels, so it would have to be the only thing in the chain!

If you are looking for something with deeper midi than the JP-6 I would consider the MKS-80 as an option. But frankly, I couldn't give up my JP-6's multi-mode filter... NO WAY!

The Rhodes Chroma, though, has no midi.

Quote:
Totally Agree. In my case, I think all this stems from when I was 17 and went into a Roland dealer in Australia and asked him where the sounds may be from for a particular record at the time and he pointed out a Roland JD990 I think and said 'its probably from that... but you can't afford that'..... ;-( two things were proven wrong. I can now..lol.. and it was no JD990 on that record. It had just come out!..lol Anyways, bring it on peeps. I need 80s!!
By the way, with the synths you mentioned, doesnt the Roland have no midi?
CJ1973
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

How many Jupiter owners here? 6s 8s etc? Also how many Ob owners? Anyone care to do some comparisons?
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
How many Jupiter owners here? 6s 8s etc? Also how many Ob owners? Anyone care to do some comparisons?
How about you put a PPG in the mix!
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

1. Jupiter 8 - brass, strings, pwm pads n sweeps, plinky arpeggiations, bass sequences..

2. PPG Wave 2.3 - hybrid - lofi gritty wavetables with warm SSM filters, digital dirt in analog filter heaven.. bass, fx, pad, bell, vox etc etc

3. Prophet 5 - brass, leads, bass, polymod sounds etc.. more leads..

they are all unique and classic in their own right. tons of great music from that period used em, the synth pop/new wave top40 stuff, as well as alternative artists..instrumental and film music etc.. they were everywhere.

with these three i think id be covered. esp if combined with a cheap TX module for classic DX7 sounds, and a waveterm B for using PPG as a sampler.

don't own a PPG, tho i'd love to, but i do have an ssm P5 and a JP8.
CJ1973
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

I am curious to know if you could recognize the organ-ish sound in the bridge for this song..
YouTube - UB40 Red Red Wine 1983
at 1:35-1:45 ... anything familiar?

Also in terms of the JP8, is the new Arturia software any cllose in terms of sounds or is it like the FM7/8 trying to do DX7s?
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Also in terms of the JP8, is the new Arturia software any cllose in terms of sounds or is it like the FM7/8 trying to do DX7s?
It still sounds like a VSTi to my ears. My JP8 blows the software one away...
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Gear maniac

1. Casio CZ-1000
2. Korg Poly-800
3. Yamaha DX-100

Maybe throw in an Ensoinq Mirage as well ;D
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
Elka Synthex
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Gear maniac

Well there is the old conundrum (at least for me) that if there actually is a "best" synth then everyone would just get that one. Truth is for every feature or aspect a synth does really well there is a different minus or not so good feature on any "best" synth.

Maybe modification is the answer? Like a Europa modified Jupiter 6 might be pretty good, though probably the Jupiter 8 still sounds better but lacks expression capability. I'd love a Prophet T8 controlling a MIDIed rev2 Prophet 5... but that's two synths and a substantial mod. A Lintronics Memorymoog would come real close to "best" in my book, but the mod costs more than a lot of synths.
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisnick View Post
Well if there actually is a "best" synth then everyone would just get that one. .
and if its a good synth then everyone can get unique sounds out of it
CJ1973
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by polartech View Post
My JP8 blows the software one away...
Even in a mix? Is it that obvious?
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even in a mix? Is it that obvious?
This is a specious question. The artist is concerned with the process of creation, the listener...consumption ( although many artists are indeed consumers).

In my instrument decisions I don't care about "distinguishable in a mix", I care about my ability to express through the instrument what I want to express. IOW, how it sounds/feels in the room when I am creating.

Shit at the end of the day, I might not be able to tell the difference between Yo-Yo Ma's cello and a cheap student cello in a mix, but I bet Yo-yo Ma could tell which was which when he's playing.

THAT'S why he plays what he plays. THAT'S why I play what I play. (If I can afford it).
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Not one mention of a DX7 or OB8?

Emulator III, Prophet 5, Jupiter 8, DX7, OB8, Linn Drum & TR-808.

Mind you I actually don't like most 80s music more 90s. If I had all the above using the same instruments in a different style.
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
you could be very 80s with a juno 60, a dx7 and a bunch of drum machine samples
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Gear addict

I sense a tone of sarcasm here! And I have a Mirage too!

Actually If I made a list of my 5 favorite samplers (or favored from what I know, have read, and heard of them) My list would look something like this:

1 E-MU Emax Rack
2 Akai MPC-60
3 Ensoniq Mirage
4 E-MU SP-1200
5 E-MU Emulator II

And you will notive I left off a few monsters.. I took practicality and ease of use into account (sorry Fairlight!). So honorable mention would be Emulator I, Fairlight, S-950, S-900, PPG wave, Linn 9000, SP-12, SC Studio 440.

I am obviously not a fan of 16-bit+ samplers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrydn View Post
1. Casio CZ-1000
2. Korg Poly-800
3. Yamaha DX-100

Maybe throw in an Ensoinq Mirage as well ;D
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Gear addict

Forget the DX7, How about the DX 1 or DX 5... of even more ambitious, the TX816!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Not one mention of a DX7 or OB8?

Emulator III, Prophet 5, Jupiter 8, DX7, OB8, Linn Drum & TR-808.

Mind you I actually don't like most 80s music more 90s. If I had all the above using the same instruments in a different style.
CJ1973
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah I have the TX816 and a DX7IIFD Centennial version, which is 76keys and they glow in the dark. Its a nice piece of work but is pretty much a DX7IIFD with more keys and a futuristic look. About 100 were made and two were given to LA musicians. Stevie Wonder and Earth/Wind&Fire. I got the latter from the keyboardist The DX-1 is a gorgeous piece of work tho!!
Quote:
Forget the DX7, How about the DX 1 or DX 5... of even more ambitious, the TX816!
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Gear addict

Yes, absolutely! I would love to hear a DX-1 some day!

You are an all around DX devotee, aren't you! Sadly I only have the TX-81Z right now... but not SOOO sad as I really love the sound of the TX-81Z. I showed it to my drummer (who much prefers analog gear) and he said that he was considering getting one JUST for the presets!

And that's the thing with Yamaha. If they didn't have the presets for the TX's and DX's they would have SANK! Lucky for them they had EVERY sound EVERY musician in the 80's wanted!

I used to own the TX-7. I loved it. The TX-81Z suits my needs more, though... multi-timbrality, multi-wave (which makes up for the 4-OP), and the handful of digital effects. I use the multi-timbrality to make drum sets.

OH YES... AND LATELY BASS!

Quote:
Yeah I have the TX816 and a DX7IIFD Centennial version, which is 76keys and they glow in the dark. Its a nice piece of work but is pretty much a DX7IIFD with more keys and a futuristic look. About 100 were made and two were given to LA musicians. Stevie Wonder and Earth/Wind&Fire. I got the latter from the keyboardist The DX-1 is a gorgeous piece of work tho!!
CJ1973
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, absolutely! I would love to hear a DX-1 some day!

OH YES... AND LATELY BASS!
Yes I forgot to mention the TX81Z. I have one. I have not used it in years but yes the lately was the go to for many years for me. I think it was used by alot of producers from Claus Shultz to US RnB band Jodeci. Just by playing with the velocity its amazing how the inspiration is on that sound. SOme of the other presets are fabulous too. Very metallic. I owned a TX7 for a while but was never a big fan of it. I am just about to service the TX816 and set it up on an 8ch mixer, do the detuning, panning etc and just trigger 1 sound with 8 units and maybe run it through a Sherman Filter or UAD Moog filter... I wonder if it will be so phat it wont make it out of the studio door..lol
having said all this, I still cannot find that 'bell' like sound in these.. The one on the UB40 Red Red Wine record bridge section and Samantha Fox Touch ME record, in the intro part. Its like a Bell Pad...
15th November 2009
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Not one mention of a DX7 ...
15th November 2009
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Head

Here's my top 10

1.Memorymoog
2.Oberheim Matrix 12/Xpander
3.Korg Mono/Poly
4.Roland MKS80/MPG80
5.Emulator II+
6.Yamaha DX5
7.PPG Wave 2.3
8.Sequential Prophet VS
9.Korg DSS-1
10.Akai AX80

15th November 2009
Old 15th November 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

i'll vote dx100 again cos no single synth costs so little and gives so much for dance music.

i have the tx81z, but the dx100 is way more immediate & easier to edit if needs be
15th November 2009
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

a good start ...

and another ...

15th November 2009
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Even though its not one of my favourite synths, I'd have to agree with Mr Diametro here.

The JP-8 was the quintessential 80s synth/sound.
15th November 2009
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, absolutely! I would love to hear a DX-1 some day!..
The DX1/5 would sound not all that much difference than two DX7s. They're basically two stacked DX7s with balanced outs. Think like a Prophet 10.

Get two DX7s (the first one) make a complementary patch for the both of them, set to the same MIDI channel, done DX5. They have the same no # of OP and sine carrier only.

You're right in that a tx81z is different because of the extra waves. A TX802 is the same as a DX7 mkII.
15th November 2009
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

For affordability, as well as some amazing capabilities you could do a lot worse than the Ensoniq ESQ1

alexP
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search