eventide h-8000 fw or eventide eclipse
datafeist
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Gear addict

eventide h-8000 fw or eventide eclipse

Hi,

Is there a big difference between the eventide h-8000 fw and the eventide eclipse?
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datafeist View Post
Hi,

Is there a big difference between the eventide h-8000 fw and the eventide eclipse?
huge.

eclipse offers a lot and i think is a great unit. it's easy to combine different algo's and make your own presets. it's 2 channels, is easy enough to edit and offers a lot of parameters for tweaking

the h8000 is a BEAST. you get a million presets, lot's of surround sound presets, better converters.. the most flexible routing of any hardware box on the planet.. 12 channels via FW (or AES) to/from your computer (though only 8 processed).. you can simultaneously route signals to all the i/o using the really simple routing app downloadable from eventide's site. it has 2 independent DSP's that can be treated as separate units or combined when you need a mega amount of CPU..

basically the H8000FW is the top of the heap.... it's dense, very user configurable and has endless algo's for you to play with and if you are savy you can roll your own using the Vsig editor though it's not very fun to do.
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

how cool is Eventide
"When Congress terminated NASA's SETI funding," observes Eventide major stockholder Orville Greene, "it became evident that privatization was the only way to keep the search alive. By providing facilities for The SETI League, Inc., we at Eventide are helping to expand the frontiers of human knowledge. It's a worthy enterprise, and I'm proud to be counted as a member."

yes the H8000 connects directly to alien intelligence, whereas the eclipse makes your guitar sound funny.
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Gear nut

eclipse is so amazing... depends on all your needs but the 8000 might be too much

IMHO nothing beats the old-school H3000 d/se which can be bought on ebay for half as much
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopattern View Post
eclipse is so amazing... depends on all your needs but the 8000 might be too much

IMHO nothing beats the old-school H3000 d/se which can be bought on ebay for half as much
yeah.. the H8000FW might be overkill for some...

there are a lot of great eventide units. unique.
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have an H-8000 FW and I won't stop repeating that it's made by aliens.

I can't even think what the H-9000 will be able to do.

12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

The convertors on the H8000FW sound as good if not better than the Lynx Aurora. They certainy are many time better than the Motu 2408mk3 which I now use only to control CV to my analog synths.

The Eventide is a beast for sure, but a very expensive one. It can be overkill for sure. It's weaknesses are plates, which is why I keep a Lexicon PCM81 around.
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

How does the H3500 Compare? Is it a good FX unit as well as the eclipse?
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

ive got an H949 here. it's got an awesome low-bit grunt and the FX are bonkers-mental!eventide loop.wav

....unreliable tho
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

All Eventides are great.
Period.
I hope 8000 will be the last outboard and they will release native VST version.
At 1500$ price like Lexicon.
It would add even more charm to all previous Eventides.
Only what I wouldn't like is VST from outboard via FW or USB. It's usually mess.
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Gear addict

To use a car analogy, I would say this is an h8000:

And this is an eclipse:

I'm not saying one is better then the other, both are fine for what the do and what they are designed for.
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNerell View Post
To use a car analogy, I would say this is an h8000:

race cars at this level are VERY VERY hard to drive. even getting them off pit row takes a lot of skill and experience. really.. people who don't know what they are doing will be totally lost behind the wheel of one of these cars... and driving a race car to it's limits is an art form.

just saying.. analogies aside... race cars complex machines. that being said// i think using an H8000 is easier than driving a race car like that one

i've owned an eclipse and H8000 (sadly had to sell the H8000 earlier this year) and they are both excellent units. just depends on how much money/time etc you want to invest.

if money is no object then by all means.. get an H8000. just be ready to RTFM to do anything more than just cruise the presets. to really expose all it's awesome alien power you need to spend some time w/it. amazing box. so flexible and capable of doing so many things.
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post

just saying.. analogies aside... race cars complex machines. that being said// i think using an H8000 is easier than driving a race car like that one
You can say that because you have brought yourself up to the level of race car driver with your H8000. I think the average person would be just as lost with an H8000 as they would with that sports car. We are not average people here when it comes to such things as effects and the like. My analogy is not pefect, but it is fun. And I think it makes a bit of sense in that both are top of the line and are a bit specialized, while the others are more intended for general use.
12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNerell View Post
You can say that because you have brought yourself up to the level of race car driver with your H8000. I think the average person would be just as lost with an H8000 as they would with that sports car. We are not average people here when it comes to such things as effects and the like. My analogy is not pefect, but it is fun. And I think it makes a bit of sense in that both are top of the line and are a bit specialized, while the others are more intended for general use.
for fun if we want to continue this analogy to it's logical end...

a race car driver can make that boxy sedan get around a track pretty quickly.. probably faster than your average person who knows how drive and gets behind the wheel of the racecar (i've seen it happen on a race track. it's pretty hilarious)... so.. if you learn your trade you can develop skills that apply to any vehicle..

also, i think the eclipse is not a boxy sedan but is closer to something like this (which really is about 1/4 of that acura as far as performance goes):

13th November 2009
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

And this is the Alesis Middyverb
13th November 2009
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

as long as were doing this for fx, may as well for synths.

13th November 2009
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Oakley Modular muwuwuhahaha
13th November 2009
Old 13th November 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Proton View Post

And this is the Alesis Middyverb
lol
14th November 2009
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

15th November 2009
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Is the Scarlet out?

Been hearing about that forever!

4K or 2K? Either way, revolution : )
datafeist
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Gear addict

And what about a eventide 4000b? Is this more comparable to an eventide h8000 than the eventide eclipse?

Grt
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Gear addict

Yeah I would like to know too.

And:

1. Does the Eclipse also have some studio/mixing patches? Patches for studio aplications like: compression,eq,stereo enchangers and so on a bit like the H line does have?

2. And does the Eclipse also have vocal options like: pitch shifting, correction,doubling,harmonic parts and so on options?

So does it have studio applications in general?
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Gear maniac

hey I have an h7600
if you dont need 8 channels of fx
and you need more than eclipse
than it suits you too
It can do 99 percent of what 8000 does but on 2 channels
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
And what about a eventide 4000b? Is this more comparable to an eventide h8000 than the eventide eclipse?
Like the H8000 series, the DSP4000 series is modular in nature, and is programmed via Vsig. That said, it has much less DSP overall, even if it is still capable of some incredible effects.

The Eclipse is not modular, and is programmed parametrically with its on-board algorithms. To my understanding, it has roughly 2x the DSP power of the DSP4000 series.

The DSP4000B is the broadcast version, with patches suited for radio and tv production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeklanoei View Post
1. Does the Eclipse also have some studio/mixing patches? Patches for studio aplications like: compression,eq,stereo enchangers and so on a bit like the H line does have?
I haven't kept up with the Eclipse OS development - but you can download .pdf manuals and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeklanoei View Post
2. And does the Eclipse also have vocal options like: pitch shifting, correction,doubling,harmonic parts and so on options?
It does pitch-shift, yes, but it does not have the formant-aware UltraShifter algo, which is only found on modular-level Eventides. This algo is tops for voice work, as its degree of natural timbre is peerless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
hey I have an h7600
if you dont need 8 channels of fx
and you need more than eclipse
than it suits you too
It can do 99 percent of what 8000 does but on 2 channels
Yep - it does 2 channels instead of 8, has one engine instead of two, and does not do Monolithic Tandem - when compared and contrasted with the H8000 series.

The H7600 is a progression from the DSP7K series.

Another to consider is the Orville - 4 channels and two engines.

cheers,
Ian
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Is there another effect unit out there that can be compared to Eventide quality?
17th November 2009
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyelagin View Post
Is there another effect unit out there that can be compared to Eventide quality?
I think the Kurzweil KSP8 may be worth having a look into...

Not saying it's of the same quality as an Eventide, but I definitely find it a very handy box to have around.

Quite a decent internal structure, 8 channels (8xM or 4xS or mix), you can use the internal algos, and can build "chains" of up to eight effects etc

Might be an option... ymmv
18th November 2009
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyelagin View Post
No.

Well maybe the Bricasti M7 and the Lexicon PCM 96 have some awesome reverbs, different from the ones in the H-8000, but overall there is nothing that can touch the H-8000 in terms of quality.

Other than that, it has to be understood, that the H-8000 FW is not only an FX processor. You can use it as a very high quality AD-DA converter, you can use it as a soundcard through Firewire, you can even use it as a synthesizer. The converters in the H-8000 FW are FPA (field programmable arrays) and you would have a really difficult time to tell the difference between the H-8000 FW and say a Apogee. Yep, they are that good.

And I can't really emphasize how important it is to see how FX are constructed within VSig. It's highly educational, completely customizable and you can do all the crazy things that come into your mind and then some more.

In fact, I am considering getting another one.
18th November 2009
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

The convertors on the H8000FW are probably the best I have heard.

I use them for just about everything, it's a shame that there are not moreconnections. 8 main in and 8 main outs are not enough for me to connect 2 x seperate adat auxs for the dsp while having 2 x stereo in/ots to be used as sound card.

Love this machine though.
24th November 2009
Old 24th November 2009
Gear maniac

Firewire realy works flawles for me now, had problems before but since version 5.3 its realy steady.

I would go H8000FW forget the eclipse
3rd December 2009
Old 3rd December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
The converters in the H-8000 FW are FPA (field programmable arrays) and you would have a really difficult time to tell the difference between the H-8000 FW and say a Apogee.
Which Apogee?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search