Login / Register

Playing live as an electronic musician - what do you do?
New Reply
Subscribe
Rev2010
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Gear maniac

Playing live as an electronic musician - what do you do?

I didn't see a forum better suited for this so if this is in the wrong place sorry. As an electronic musician for my last album everything was VST synths in Cubase as well as some hardware synths. When playing live my singer and I (the only two band members) would basically do it karaoke style. He would sing over the recorded music and I would control our own light setup we would bring to the gig. I've actually seen the band that headlined for our first gig did the exact same thing! I know it sounds lame but I don't even think many could tell I was controlling a light board and not playing on a keyboard.

Well, now for our next album that we are working on I'm using a lot more along with the VSTi's. I'm, now using electric guitar, viola's, weird ethnic instruments, etc. So now I'll have something else to really play live.

My question is.... what do you other electronic musicians do when you play live? It IS indeed very hard to attempt to reproduce electronic music "played live". For one you can't play all the layers of tracks yourself, and you'd also need to make seperate mixes with the missing components you plan to play live yourself. I've been to some shows where the musician simply DJ's their stuff on turntables, at least that's what it looks like. Another duo has one singing and the other playing electronic drums with the rest of the music playing back as a recording.

What do you guys do?

Rev.
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

Arpeggiators are your friend.
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Gear addict

yea, arpeggiators are good, but might require earphones for proper synchronization with the rest of the music (I'm actually thinking of doing that right now )
Also, LOOP pedals. The other day I've seen an electronic band live (EOTO, check'em out on youtube, pretty cool stuff), and they did everything with loop pedals, nothing sequenced. A very nice way to create layers.
When I play live, I do a lot with sustain pedals, where I can run an evolving or sustaining chord, and free up my hands to do other stuff.
I was thinking of doing loop pedals too, but for some reason, I prefer to play everything live. As a live listener, I don't like when I hear something (a sequence or a loop) and don't see anybody playing it at the moment.
That might change once I'll try out a good loop pedal setup. I heard they're fun and very powerful.
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I've been preparing a live set for those extremely sporadic opportunities where I may play live. I'm using nothing but my Machinedrum UW and an expanded Nord G2. No laptop or anything. Not even a mixer, since I can route the MD output to a pair of G2 inputs.

It is very hard, but I have been able to keep things interesting by using some clever sequencer tricks on the G2 and the RAM machines in the MD.

In my current setup, I have eight parts going on in the G2... each of the four slots contains two parts: one is sequenced (16 step sequencers) and monophonic, and the other one responds to the keyboard and other controls. A footswitch lets me conveniently re-route the keyboard MIDI data to the sequencers in record mode, so that I can easily re-program any of the four sequences. I also have a continuous control pedal permanently assigned to the cutoff of the selected sequenced part. The most relevant synthesis parameters are mapped to the front panel knobs.

The second pair of outputs in the G2 is routed to the MD inputs, so I can easily sample the G2 live, play that back and mess it up with the MD, while the G2 is doing something else.

The hard thing is to control both the G2 and Machinedrum with only two hands... this is really a job for two people... basically I can only focus on one of the instruments at a given time. Still, it's a very flexible setup and produces different results each time.
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
What do you guys do?
Add a couple people that are only "live band members" when we play shows (we're also a "two guys do all the instruments and vocals on the recordings" group), along with a laptop running Ableton Live (so we can drop parts in and out, skip around, or loop a section if we want to make something longer/shorter/different on-the-fly, or tweak elements of the seqenced-tracks 'mix' to fine-tune the set from one night to the next). Previously we did the same thing with a DAT or MiniDisk player, which worked fine, but means you have to go 'back to the drawing board' if you want to change the mix or setlist order (at least with the MiniDisk you could skip around and play the songs in a different order if you wanted, and we had a Yamaha 4-track version with stereo backing tracks, mono synthbass track, and click track on the four tracks).

We both play instruments and sing (keys/vocals and keys/guitar/bass/electric viol/vocals) and then add two more people (drums and keys/bass/sax) plus Ableton for live shows. We'll probably also have simple stereo copies of the backing tracks as 'playlists' on everybody's iPods and iPhones as backups.

It's more complicated, more expensive (sometimes prohibitively so), and more people and more gear mean that instead of being a "nimble" two-man outfit, we've got all the logistical hassles of a typical rock band with twice as much - and four times as complicated - gear, but I try to make it a point that the additional live-band folks always get paid a "guaranteed minimum" whether the show makes money or not - which also means we have to decide whether to suck it up or refuse to play for less than a minimum amount that at the very least covers gas/backing players/expenses, depending on the show.

I've also considered doing backing tracks on DVD-R (with backing tracks, click track, etc on the different 'surround' channels) so there can be 'synced visuals' for projection on the video track, but fear of skipping DVDs, having to cart around a "consumer" rack with a DVD deck and "receiver" with surround decoder, and expense of decent, high-enough-lumens-not-to-be-overpowered-by-stage-lights video projectors has scared me off so far (at least the high-powered projectors aren't the size and price of a Mini Cooper anymore).

I'm also not sure I'm going to be able to talk myself out of the laptop sending MIDI clock/sync/trigger pulses/etc. to several different pieces of gear next time we go out - synced arpeggiators, guitars or other instruments rhythmically gated via sidechain from a dedicated-out track from the laptop, etc. would be so cool, but each layer of interdependency that gets added also makes the setup that much more jacked if the laptop/sequencer/whatever goes down.
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Gear Head

I actually like running my synths through my EMX or my ESX for live applications, as opposed to running everything through my 2k, which is not particularly designed at all for live situations. On the Tribes I can do a dozen different things in real time without ever having to stop the sequencer, its truly awesome the musical possibilities one can achieve with these boxes.
Also on the tribes every single knob and button is 100% CC midi and NSRPN compatible, so I can practically plug any keyboard into the synth parts on my Tribes and go to town
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532
Rev2010
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrnps View Post
but each layer of interdependency that gets added also makes the setup that much more jacked if the laptop/sequencer/whatever goes down.
See, that's part of the issue. I no longer have any, but one, of my hardware synths. I still have my Yamaha AN1X because I love it that much to never sell it and because I use it as my midi controller. Problem is I now am strictly using VSTi's. It just makes life so much easier, and IMO sounds better and has more flexibility than any of my past hardware synths.

Originally I figured for live use I would choose specific synth parts, make a sample set for live use, and just play those parts live. Well that idea got destroyed really fast when I went to make a sample set of one of the synth sounds - just did NOT sound the same. It lost a lot. Plus it's complex and a PITA. In addition to all that I'd still need to tote a minimal PC setup with me to shows and hope there are no technical issues. So I abondoned that idea. Now that I'm doing additional "acoustic" (purely meaning live play) instruments I just figure I'll play those live and still leave the rest "karaoke style". I've seen bands play live where they're karaoke'ing it but are pretending to play midi keyboards not plugged into anything but the power cord and that looks more idiotic than simply letting a recording play while the two band members do other *real* things whatever it be.

By the way, I hear you on the DVD player worries. Our tracks play back via an MP3 player with the highest possible bitrate of 320kbps CBR and it's worked rock solid. Really would like a digital player though that I can playback the actual WAV masters though. Might upgrade to that in the future.

Rev.
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Our tracks play back via an MP3 player with the highest possible bitrate of 320kbps CBR and it's worked rock solid. Really would like a digital player though that I can playback the actual WAV masters though. Might upgrade to that in the future.
Most, if not all, full-size (actual Apple) iPods can load and play uncompressed 16/44.1 .wav and/or .aiff files (I've never had it not work, but haven't tried it on any little 'nano' or 'shuffle' ones) and also have an "apple lossless" format that compresses the data but not the audio quality. These do take up a lot more space, so you might fill up most of the space on an iPod with your set instead of tens or hundreds of albums' worth.
Rev2010
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrnps View Post
Most, if not all, full-size (actual Apple) iPods can load and play uncompressed 16/44.1 .wav and/or .aiff files
We weren't using an iPod but thanks, that's good to know! I'll make sure to check our next player we get supports wav files as well or at least another form of lossless format.

Rev.
19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
It IS indeed very hard to attempt to reproduce electronic music "played live".
With all the great options a modern DAW gives you, it is easy to go wild and make tracks that are too complicated to be practical for live performance.

My suggestion would be to think about live performance right at the composition stage. Choose ideas that sound great and are practical on stage or at least think about two arrangements - one for the sophisticated studio recording and one for the live version that you are able to play - simpler but conveying the same vibe and equally interesting.

I find it a very positive challenge for myself and some great ways of making your music sound more complex than it really is have already been posted in this thread.

19th October 2009
Old 19th October 2009
Gear maniac

Sing and play leads live over backing tracks. Nobody expects a film director to get up in the projection booth and edit the film live while you watch it, so I don't worry too much about "authenticity" in live electronic performance.
msl
20th October 2009
Old 20th October 2009
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

You've got to get the balance right between options so you can improvise and simplicity, so you don't make things to hard for yourself. Which is very easy to do. If I had a few roadies, a tech and a van I'd go all hardware but I don't! I'd stick with Ableton, make 4 stems out of each of your tracks and play/mix those stems live. Gather up a bunch of samples you can fire off on top and play whatever hardware and other instruments you have live. It also depends on the kind of electronic music and the type of venues you'll be playing, stage or dj booth. Charismatic vocalists worth their weight in gold, if you've got live vocals going it keeps a lot of the crowds interest anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/michaellovatt/black-power
michael-lovatt.com
soundcloud
20th October 2009
Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

i've done a few different things over the years...

my first few sets were fully sequenced on a Yamaha QX3 running drums on a Roland R-8m and synths on an Ensoniq ESQm (later 'upgraded' to a Waldorf Micro-Q and sometimes a Novation K-Station). the sequences would play back in full as 'songs' while i mixed in live radio/TV/cassette over the top through fx.

the next setup was using an Akai MPC 2000XL handling drums and running the sequenced parts to the Micro-Q and/or K-Station. these were just 4-8 bar looped sequences that i would mute in and out on the MPC while they played back to build the arrangement. i was also still mixing in radio and TV transmissions at this point as well. once around this time i recorded the synth parts to an Akai DPS-12i HD recorder and sync'd that up via MIDI to the MPC where i just muted the drum tracks in and out as the synths played back.

(i guess i should note that i had a good handful of other synths, samplers, and drum machines at home but used mainly the gear listed above for live use. also, i used a Mackie 1604vlz and some outboard fx for everything mentioned above.)

some time after this i sold most of my gear to fund the Nord Modular G2, keeping pretty much just the MPC. i did a handful of shows using just the G2 for synth parts and the MPC running the sequences and drums. around this time i was getting more 'minimal' in what i was doing and eventually even sold off the MPC, doing everything with just the G2 (including synthesized drums and internally sequenced syth parts). i've actually still done this for the past few years, though the material has gotten more 'noise' based using self-evolving modular patches on the G2 rather than typical synth patches. in this case i usually use three slots on the G2 for these 'modular devices' and the fourth slot to mix the signals and switch between 'variations' in the first three slots.

i've since gotten a MachineDrum, but haven't worked out any live setup so far using that.
20th October 2009
Old 20th October 2009
Lives for gear

Location: fear and loathing across the country, listening to my 8-track

Sound-crew sets up in the morning, having drove all night. I sleep in and fly there in the afternoon.
They playback the sync'd DAT to check the lights... nice. The gear is setup with pretty lights (for the photographers).
Everything is preprogrammed, recorded due to lights changes. I'm not feeling to well, so I place the helmet on Pedro, smack him on the ass, and say "just bob your head, you'll be fine. The magic of pyramid power does all the work. If the crowd is dead, point".
I think to myself, "Those Bluemen are smart... there's something to this franchise game"...

Then I woke up... @ 3:21 AM
20th October 2009
Old 20th October 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Sound-crew sets up in the morning, having drove all night. I sleep in and fly there in the afternoon.
They playback the sync'd DAT to check the lights... nice. The gear is setup with pretty lights (for the photographers).
Everything is preprogrammed, recorded due to lights changes. I'm not feeling to well, so I place the helmet on Pedro, smack him on the ass, and say "just bob your head, you'll be fine. The magic of pyramid power does all the work. If the crowd is dead, point".
I think to myself, "Those Bluemen are smart... there's something to this franchise game"...

lol
Ojd
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Ojd
Gear interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWDdW...eature=related

Studio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z9BEUL005Q
Live

Arps, playbacks, all there. Also notice added sounds. At the end of the songs it fades out, layer by layer, leaving drummer and bass to end at their will, by the time they end, Richard puts another tape and pushes "start" while chewing bubblegum and looking cool. Richard changes cassettes at the end of each song, so next song begin with drone loops and noises to change preset for his Juno60 and guitar FX. (see Live in Spain)
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to alexp
Our new live show that were developing centres around a core setup of 1 Akai DR4, 1 Akai DR8, and 2 Roland MSQ700s, all midi'd together. The Akais act as the master clock, and we simply midi the MSQs to them. The MSQs are controlling a Prophet 5, Minimoog, Oberheim Matrix 6, Roland SH101, Roland TR909, Roland TR606,Korg Prophecy, Roland Juno 1, and an Ensoniq Mirage. The HD setup is running drums, basslines, some arpregiations, and all of the samples. Our original Idea was to do the whole show with 6 samplers and all of our msq's but it was a bit of a nightmare to work out. We may still do a hybrid though, and substitute out half the synths for a couple of Emax's or something.

alexP
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn't see a forum better suited for this .
YOu might find livepa.org :: Index useful.
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Get a big modular. It seems like every bright young thing/group has one. It doesn't matter if you can play anything.

Buy a Revox A77 or Otari reel to reel and put your songs on there. It worked back in the day for Eno, The Human League and Depeche Mode.

Alternatively - watch a few Royskopp videos on YouTube to get some ideas. I really respect those guys. I played live back in the day when polys were just coming out. All analog baby. As the one fellow said arpegiators are your friend. Control Voltages were my friend.
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Lives for gear

Last Tuesday I got called last minute to play in a show because Del got sick in Seattle and fell off the stage and couldn't make it.

I said yes against my better judgment. I decided to bring my new portable MIDI Free looping setup. A Korg PK controlling a Mopho being fed into an SP404sx going into a Kaossilator pro. I thought I would be just fine until my drummer called and couldn't make it.

It was fun, started off big, all improv. I didn't like the middle as much, and the end turned out great. Basically I used the Kpro to do a 4 on the floor beat to give me the clock, then I would loop the Mopho and drums off of the SP404. It was pretty rad.

Not doing it again though for a whole 25 minutes, it's too much work and stress. Playing live unquantized drums on pads is tricky, and a few times I had to erase and redo the loop. If my drummer was there it would have been a lot easier.

I have a whole different work flow in mind for our next show. I'm going to trigger loops live and maybe string some stuff together on top, play some drums along with pads sometimes, and concentrate the rest of the time on working visuals. Need to get a projector though.
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post

21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

were a three piece outfit..

we used to use rs7000/kenton setup for 8-step sequneces and as a drum machine. in our new setup laptop will act as a drum machine, and fire 8-step sequences to CV analogs via expert sleeper's silent way. i play vsti rhodes and choirs from the midi controller. there is no "song mode" as such, only patterns that i switch on the fly. theres structure but its very amorph, relaxed, with excursions to total improv.

one analog has arpeggio synced to pulse clock from the daw, which i hit chords with. everything else, few polyanalogs and monoanalogs, theremin, sml modular and electric violin, are played by us, and this provides the jist of harmonic, melodic and sound design material.

altough i like having step sequences, and permutate rows.. mangle delay over this,, we stray from using any backing tracks ... first bcs we dont enjoy it, or consider it live per se anymore, second bcs it limits us creatively <incoming poetic blabbrr..> don't wanna be robbed of the beauty of the moment and audience interaction. i mean at least it works that way for our style of music. be it as it may, my take on this is,, whether you carry a digital multitrack or a cdr or a mp3 player, and it constitutes most of what the audience hears, it ammounts to the same. karaoke.

it may be a show, if you are really a hit wonder, or your singer has huge melones and tight behind, but how much live this is, is questionable.

midi sequencing is somewhere in the middle, bcs it allows for interaction , even tho one must prepare most of the seq in advance. can be interesting if done really really well. i liked seeing acts in the 90s with heavy tweakage of synths that were sequenced, changing patterns, permutations, even on the spot XoX programming etc,. its a bit of a lost art nowadays.

my 0.02e

WTB: Qu-Bit Nebulae • ALM S.G.B. • Tip Top Studio Bus

FS: Waldorf Q blue kbd v32 • Maxon Vactrol Phaser • ADAM P22A monitors • Kenton Pro2000 mkII
21st February 2011
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

Want a big sound? Get a big band!

We've put together a live element - something that the electronic stuff looses.

Drummer (who can play to a click)
Bass player (who makes Mark King/Level 42 look like Paul McCartney!!)
2 guitarists and a brass section.
3 vocalists.

I'm running Apple Mainstage on my MBP with MOTU 828mk2. Multi-outs go to a submixer and I route the subgroups out to the onstage DI boxes.
This way I get to keep control of my mix whilst whilst the FOH get theirs. thumbsup

The drummer also has a click feed directly from the interface (I've got some pre-sequenced/sampled 1-shot arpeggiations and vocoded BVs - all BPM-sensitive)

Got a mic going into the 828 to feed my vocoder (Logic's eVoc) and then my Kurzweil K2000 acting as a master for Mainstage.
My top tier keyboard is an XP30, with some split patches. The split controls a 2nd layer inside Mainstage.
(upgrading to a Fantom and Kronos soon)
Sound-wise, I'm running mostly EXS24 with samples, some SSL eq and compression (why not eh?) and Massive & Blue.

Works very well indeed.

But the best bit is the band aspect - get some good players, and imho, you can't be touched!thumbsup
24th March 2012
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Head

Ableton Live
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Well, I am in the exact same position as You - did release two albums as electronic solo artist and now I am prepearing for live gigs. Let me tell you - it all depends on Your expectations - if You want to be a real "live" act - having a band playing the electronic sounds than it is a really hard task. It took me two month just setting up a drummer - we went with Drumkat coupled with two roland hihats and kik. Than we had to choose appropriate interface that would provide a minimal latency so the drummer could cope with it (RME UC did the trick) and a laptop just for that purpose (newest macbook pro). The strategy was to play whole songs but to have possibility for improv. So everything is centered around Ableton - drummer plays Addictive drums and samples mapped manually to drumracks. Each sample had to be tweaked manually! velocity modulation, filter modulation, volume -everything - we ended up with about 150 samples for a whole set. Plus few AD sets.

Than each scene in Ableton is a part of a song. The Scenes are launched via behringer FCB1010 footcontroller. The clips in ableton also controll HW synth - Virus TI, and my vocal fx (TC Voicelive2). Than we have a rack with monitoring board (ZED14) plus 4 little Behringer mixers for each band member - for monitoring purposes. The latter is crucial as everyone must have click and other instruments in the blend.
Than we also have two Behringer DI800 (very good idead for stage - makes for a DI and signal splitter) and two compressors for bass and vocal.

So in my case it ended up very cost and labour heavy (I spent around 10k on the whole setup). We are rehearsing three times a week for 4 hours. And I estimate it will take us 5 months total to play at decent level.
Why so long? Cause when You play electronic music it is probably new to everyone - Your drummer, singer, bass player or guitarist.
For one thing I can tell You at this stage - dont stick to much to the original tracks - only use the crucial and best parts - if You got that super fat kik that You love - use it. But if You can use a guitar instead of a synth- do it. The paradox is that the electronic music sometimes sound lot better when it is not all electronic

Good luck
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Gear nut

I'm in a duo project called 'Flowers and Sea Creatures' and our set up most of the time is what's in the picture below plus a guitar and sometimes a third member playing the SPD 20 and bongo's. We play clubbier venues, in between dj's. We use a Macbook Pro running Ableton live, the Akai mpk25 midi controller as well as the Novation launchpad triggering samples from Ableton. For the sound card we use the Saffire LE. Vocals run directly to the mixer. This set up actually fits in a small carry on luggage, except for the guitar.

/Users/slowmotion/Desktop/Flowers and Sea Creatures.jpg
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Got to say that I really hate to see people miming and pretending to play things that they're not playing.

Yes I know we're in a world where DJ's have perpetuated the myth that they're doing something real on stage and lied to the audience who actually believe that' these guys are making the music coming out of the sound system and that generations now don't have any understanding of what live music really means but we as writers should be more honest and realistic with our fans and audiences !

If you aren't able to play keyboards or learn how to play something truly live then at least get a friend involved who can ! - Live music is about PLAYING LIVE !.... not posing like a fashion model wannabe with with lights and faders.... That Is SO Lame. and SO dishonest.

Either announce it as a DJ Set or get people in who can play your parts as your 'band' and do it for REAL ! OR..... Take the time to learn how to play and perform it live.

There seems to be more and more pretenders and less musicians with honest ability. Worse, it seems that more and more people want to make 'playing live' seem like a mythical talent that nobody has....

Break the mold - Learn to play it ALL Live.. and expose the pretenders

Don't be a Pretender be a real live musican.

Beer.
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

Amen to that.
1st April 2012
Old 1st April 2012
Lives for gear

This is a damn good thread that comes right at the time I think about my future live setup and how to reproduce my songs on stage.

I am in the same dilemma as written above.
To achieve the sound that I want to have, I'd either have to get a band of at least 6 musicians, 2-3 of them being synth people, that do it all live really.
Or I'd have to use a semi-playback, which is kind of against my ideology of a live performance, or I'd have to cut it down so much that it isn't Synth-Pop in my style anymore really.
I got only 2 hands after all, and also need to think about how much I can carry around without a taxi.
Sequencers is another option, but many sequencers really lack of a decent song sequencer. And in the end, we are back to the synths being sequenced by a DAW, and how different is that to playback then? yeah. It's all a fine line somewhere.

Honestly I have no clue yet, but will follow this thread with big interest. Thanks for that!
Gear: Analog Keys, JX3P, Nord Electro 3, Mopho Keyboard, Machinedrum, Minimonsta, Oddity, Diva, TAL synths, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Valhalla, Fabfilter, Softube, Ozone, Ableton Live, Push, SPL Crimson, Neumann KH 120 A
2nd April 2012
Old 2nd April 2012
Gear nut

I totally agree with the above posts regarding playing live with real instruments. I've been playing gigs for about 10 years 4 nights a week, in a classic rock cover band, a top 40 band and an acoustic duo. I also have an original rock band and this latest electronic project 'Flowers and Sea Creatures'. I play guitar /keyboards and bass. Having experienced both sides of the spectrum i have to say its equally challenging having to play guitar in a rock band as it is being a dj or in an electro. band tweaking and triggering beats. Respect to you all.

My acoustic classic rock band:
http://www.thefmlive.com/

Electronic Project:
http://www.flowersandseacreatures.com/
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search