Originally Posted by J1mbaFr0sty
not to be an ass
Hey I want to be an ass too!!! lol
Ok lets take things step by step.
1) Reason has one of the best samplers in the industry NN-XT with two elements that make it so powerful : a) easy , b) powerful . Dont take my claim as is, most self respecting magazine have given more than enough praise to this sampler
2) Maalstorm is one of the best if not the best graintable synthesis synth , that sounds great. Graintable is no longer the big news, but bare in mind that when first came out it was huge. It still is one of the best synths, for weird sounds and timbres
3) Substractor, is dead easy to use and consumes almost 0% of processing power . Think of it as Synth1 on steroids. Like synth1 , does not sound great to you, then layer it and layer it and layer it ......
4) The Vocoder is a bad sun of the beach, capable into turning in a mutli band eq editing down to partial level !!!!... very powerful stuff
5) MATRIX is one of the most sophisticated arpeggiators ... When it first came out other DAWS were "Arpeggi.... what ?"
6) Effects section more than satisfying , and they have been a standard feature when Cubase an effect or a capable synth was a big luxury
7) Reason, is closed ... yeap it is a very good thing... its stable as rock, never crashes never surrenders. The only thing that comes close is Ableton Live.
8) Again its closed... again another bonus... you can study thousands of reason songs, the only thing that can make a song incompatible with your Reason are Refills . Excellent for beginners. Not available in any other Daw.
9) REWIRE... Invented the thing.... Looking for a DAW that will works hand in hand with your DAW ... look no further ... the best of the best...
10) the routing is just insane... route everything to anything
11) interface "brain dead" friendly.... your are completely noob... no problem...
12) Lighter on CPU and RAM than a bowl of Kellogs ... It was only thing that could run shit loads of synths in my Crappy old 200Mhz Pentium, when other DAWs were collapsing behind it. On a Dual Core it just wrecks havoc, on quad well , I dont want to go there.
13) Thor is the only thing I heard that comes close to analog sound... it does not get better sounding than this.
14) Refills , refills, refills.... Probably the biggest preset machine in the world... many of the refills are completely free too.. Think of each refill a zip with thousands of samples and presets.
15) Many, many more.... sorry I am running out of ink
The only thing that was crap on Reason is the inability to record audio and the sequencer. The first one remains even though the new software from the same company RECORD tries to fill the gap and claims to work hand in hand with reason from inside reason as one application. Cant vouch it as I never tried it.
The Sequencer was really bad, not in terms of ease of use but in terms it lacked some standard features. But all were fixed with the latest version. The Sequencer now is still not the best, but will keep you more than happy.
Of course there many,many other thing in Reason , which make it maybe the biggest temptation in music software. The 3 killer elements in reason are , ease of use, uniqueness, light....
No other DAW excels in that area and that is why many tracks made with Reason sounds great and cover almost all musical ranges.
Oh did I say that its the only software that can safely claim that is a REAL WORKSTATION , comparing it with hardware equivalents ?
I am no longer a REASON user for a very long time , as I barely use Ableton Live and I use hardware for anything else. But if there was 1 software I could completely return to that would be REASON by very far. Respect to other DAWs that excel in other areas, but in its area REASON eats them alive.
Also it would be insane to think that you can get a better more complete music software than Reason at its price.