Login / Register

Ensoniq EPS - keep or sell?
New Reply
Subscribe
4th July 2009
Old 4th July 2009
Gear interested

Hey I have had my EPS for years and use it all the time just for quick samples. The sequencer has a steep learning curve like most Ensoniq stuff but works really well once you understand it... Actually, one of the best sequencers I have used. A very strong workhorse! I'll buy it for a backup if you don't want it... Morgan
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear interested

Hello, all. Its seems I have had alot of activity on line recently on this synth. Its funny how when this thing was made computers had not come as far. Now Samples are unlimited in quantity. Hundreds of Terra bytes of samples. So We take them and record them onto the sampler, Each with a potential to do it's own destruction. The key is having just the right software. I love to DIY, Creating new different sounds! When there gone well tell our children & Grand children what it was like to own a keyboard with a memory so minuscule! Pawn Stars 2020!!!!! If you record from your computer to your synth (Ableton live-------There are great Vst's out there that can be recorded, add effects to the Vst'i Record, and layer, 4 or five from your computer to your keyboard. But when recording drum map's it's harder, long pad's , bells, drones , strings, great to start with.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
EPS has no character???...

Ok then, I'm stepping out of this convo.

alexP
The EPS is all character. 12 bit grunge is an awesome tool in the right hands, just like an Emax 1. It's the ONLY reason to keep it, as a lo-fi processor.

And if you decide to sell it, grab all those classic libraries and re-sample them into a software sampler.
mp3
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
mp3
Lives for gear

Just as a general note, the EPS is 13 bit...

Carry on!
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

The EPS has heaps of character. There is no reason to circuit bend one, it's already the ultimate glitch sampler. I really like the sound of how it does pitch transposition.

There are many many reasons to keep an eps keyboard around, even if you don't use the audio output at all.

It has a very good quality keyboard with polyphonic after touch and a useful sequencer. I use it as master keyboard and scratch/startup sequencer all the time.

It may convert/ store at 13 bit, but I believe it'll output 16 bit. You can load ASR10 / eps16+ instruments and they'll playback just fine, and sound rather good.

The weakspot in audio quality with the eps is in the preamp of the sample input. If you put a preamp/eq in line on the way in you can make remarkably hifi samples, especially if you use the higher sampler rates.
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Nice grit machine. It's been a long time, I still miss it and would use it again.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
it's already the ultimate glitch sampler.
No kidding. Here's what I got with no samples loaded:

Autechre got plenty of fun out of theirs (well, 16+ and ASR-10) too. Seems like it was responsible for most of Chiastic Slide.

Quote:
It may convert/ store at 13 bit, but I believe it'll output 16 bit. You can load ASR10 / eps16+ instruments and they'll playback just fine, and sound rather good.
The memory is actually 13 bits wide. To the extent that it's compatible with the 16+ and ASR-10, it's probably just storing them on the disk as 16 bit words, and truncating the last 3 bits of whatever is loaded. The actual DAC does some quasi-floating point thing, I think 13 bits for the wave data (per voice) scaled by 10 bits for the amplitude envelope. I don't really remember though.
9th September 2012
Old 9th September 2012
Gear interested

Hello,
I'm big fan of Ensoniq ASR-10 from 1996 and the "Chiastic Slide" is my best album of all time. The "Chiastic Slide" have an abrasive, harsh, rough sound! I mean is that character of Ensoniq EPS-16+? It's really different from the sound of Tri Repetae and Amber, although they use Ensoniq EPS16+ on these albums too.
I'd like to ask you as expert. Do you have any assumption about how to get that abrasive, harsh, rough sound on EPS16+? I have only ASR-10 and his sound more thin and clean than EPS16+?
Thank you.
9th September 2012
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonDonsen View Post
Not soundwise!!! Bye!
-1 this is just plain wrong.
9th September 2012
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The EPS does not put out a 16 bit signal. If it did the effect would still be 13 bit anyway because the sample was recorded in 13 bit. An EPS will not load ASR10 sounds mainly because of the difference in bit rate of the two samplers.
The ASR10 is 16 bit. Its file format is also different than the EPS's. ASR10 sounds are also up to 16 meg. try loading that in an EPS.
9th September 2012
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

I would say keep it. I have my EPS 16+ sitting in the rack. I still power it up every once in a while. I mainly use it for drums now. this is the only piece of equipment I feel like I know back to front and inside out. This is probably why I'll never sell it.
9th September 2012
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

Consider it the cheapest polyphonic aftertouch controller that you can still easily find today. Bonus! It comes with a good hardware sampler too!

Using an Ensoniq Poly-AT keyboard with a tweaked Microwave ST = sublime

Sent from my Nexus 7
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
The EPS does not put out a 16 bit signal. If it did the effect would still be 13 bit anyway because the sample was recorded in 13 bit. An EPS will not load ASR10 sounds mainly because of the difference in bit rate of the two samplers.
The ASR10 is 16 bit. Its file format is also different than the EPS's. ASR10 sounds are also up to 16 meg. try loading that in an EPS.
I sample in 16bit on my EPS16+ and playback on the eps classic all the time. I sold my ASR10 before I got the EPS, but AFAIK only the effects data is not compatible, and it is simply dropped. Unless you have experience otherwise....

Another reason to keep an eps classic is (and I am not 100% sure that the eps16+ doesn't share this feature, but I know the ASR does not) is that it can open mirage samples from disk. If you like your digital extra filthy, this is a very useful feature.
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another reason to keep an eps classic is (and I am not 100% sure that the eps16+ doesn't share this feature, but I know the ASR does not) is that it can open mirage samples from disk. If you like your digital extra filthy, this is a very useful feature.
Yes it's on the EPS16+, Load->Command-MIDI->Load Mirage-DSK Sound. They probably dropped it on the ASR10 to free up some space. Actually it might be there, you might have missed it!

Edit: You're right, definitely not there. On the Syntaur page: "Unlike the EPS and EPS-16 Plus, the ASR-10 and ASR-88 will not import Mirage sounds."
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I sample in 16bit on my EPS16+ and playback on the eps classic all the time. I sold my ASR10 before I got the EPS, but AFAIK only the effects data is not compatible, and it is simply dropped. Unless you have experience otherwise....

I have indeed. An eps cannot load Asr10 sounds. They are a completely different file format. . Additionally the ASr reads hd diskettes while the eps can only read dd disks. Finally I didn't say an eps couldn't load eps16 sounds, I only challenged that an eps16 could load asr10 sounds.

EDIT: actually you are right. The eps will load an ASr10 sound from a scsi drive but not from a disk due to the disk formatted difference. My bad.

Last edited by cixelsyd; 10th September 2012 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Eating crow
10th September 2012
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
EDIT: actually you are right. The eps will load an ASr10 sound from a scsi drive but not from a disk due to the disk formatted difference. My bad.
You just got to stick to 720K disks and floppies are fine for trading sounds across eps classic 16+ and ASR10 (ts10 and 12 too)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search