johnsmith1261
24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Gear addict

alpha juno tips

Hi!

I've got a Roland Alpha Juno 2 synth. I'm very new to synth programming and curious if you guys have some tips for this unit.

For example I'm having trouble programming a good goa bass on it. Maybe it's not especially good for that, maybe I'm just too rookie

I have a couple of questions:
- What tasks do you usually use this synth for? (leads, pads, bass etc.)
- Do you use additional effects on it, or do you consider its pure sound up to these tasks?
- Do you have any tips for programming it?

Thanks,
j
24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith1261 View Post
Hi!

I've got a Roland Alpha Juno 2 synth. I'm very new to synth programming and curious if you guys have some tips for this unit.

For example I'm having trouble programming a good goa bass on it. Maybe it's not especially good for that, maybe I'm just too rookie

I have a couple of questions:
- Do you use additional effects on it, or do you consider its pure sound up to these tasks?

Thanks,
j
If you're using the front panel you might find it pretty slow-going compared to using a knob-box or software editor.

There's a virtual PG-300 around somewhere, can't find it at the mo but here's another one:

discointellect : software

With my MKS50 I've found the bass presets can easily be improved on - things like the strings/pads are pretty good already. For a heavy bass sound, set VCA to Gate/Non-dynamic (rather than Env), ensure the HPF is off, set the Env to a nice plucky shape, maybe add the sub-osc and twiddle the filter cutoff, res and Filter Env amount to taste.

The chorus is a big part of the Juno sound - combine the PWM with the chorus and you get a lovely warm, wide and animated sound. When you look at the Juno features it looks quite limited but it can be quite versatile if you push it. The main appeal to me is the general sound, the chorus makes it "sound like a record".
24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith1261 View Post
What would you define as a good goa bass - got any examples/sound fragments (with specific times when you hear the sound)?

Quote:
Pads, arpeggios (short, blippy sounds).

Quote:
Effects sweeten it up; for pads and arpeggios, reverb and/or delay are very useful.

Quote:
Get yourself a BCR-2000; you'll be able to use it for more than just one synth, and it's not horribly overpriced like the programmers are.
24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear

I have many synths that have taken over my poor Juno-1's duties, but I have hung on to my Alpha for one reason. It has this HUGE sub bass sound I can't get from any other synth, totally worth keeping just for that one sound IMO. As previously stated, a PG-300 really brings this synth to life.
johnsmith1261
24th June 2009
Old 24th June 2009
Gear addict

Thank you all the input!

Yeah, using the alpha wheel only would be madness, I'm using EZAlpha and made a template for my X-Station, so I can use it as a controller
Thanks for the suggestions btw.

I started tweaking the SynthBass4 preset as this was the one I liked the most.
By good goa bass I meant a really rolling base, examples:
- Astral Projection: Chaos (5:40-6:10)
- Astrix: Eye to eye (6:00-6:20)

I guess its basic pattern should be something like this:
_ooo_ooo_ooo_ooo
o___o___o___o___
(top row is bass, bottom is kick drum, 140bpm)

Starting from the SynthBass4 or from scratch, I couldn't achieve anything that could be even remotely labeled as rolling It was as if the kick and the bassline weren't from the same track or something :D (Clearly it's my programming error, I'm just learning stuff ;])

Thanks,
j
25th June 2009
Old 25th June 2009
Banned

Alpha Juno's can do great goa basslines. Starting from scratch, set the sawtooth to 1, sub oscillator to taste, cutoff near zero, low resonance, envelope to gate, filter to envelope depth to taste, attack and sustain to zero, set the decay to a relatively low value, and then just fire off sixteenth notes.
johnsmith1261
25th June 2009
Old 25th June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Alpha Juno's can do great goa basslines. Starting from scratch, set the sawtooth to 1, sub oscillator to taste, cutoff near zero, low resonance, envelope to gate, filter to envelope depth to taste, attack and sustain to zero, set the decay to a relatively low value, and then just fire off sixteenth notes.
Thanks!

Following this advice I managed to get pretty close to the sound I was searching for.
I guess it will be perfect when post-processed/layered/mixed well.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search