Login / Register

Roland JV80 and SRX expansion cards, which should I get?
New Reply
Subscribe
DevonB
15th May 2009
Old 15th May 2009
Gear addict

Roland JV80 and SRX expansion cards, which should I get?

I'll be parting with my Roland XV-5050 because I just picked up a XV-5080 instead. Now I'll have access to 4 JV80 slots. I was wondering if there were any I really should consider. I already have the following -

SRX cards - Orchestral, Supreme Dance, and World. I'm still debating on parting with World, as I'm not liking it all that much. I love both Orch and Dance card though. I have tried Platinum Hits and Ulitmate Keys. I didn't like either of them all that much either, (at least not to my taste or genre I like to write to, but they are good for what they are. I'm not an organ/Rhodes/Clav/etc kinda guy),but I'll have a chance to try the Ultimate Keys card again when I get my XV-5080.

JV80 cards - I already have the JV80-04 Vintage card in my Roland JD990. I *LOVE* this card. Totally awesome!

So, out of the list below, with the above considerations, should I be considering anything below?

POP Expansion Board (SR-JV80-01)
ORCHESTRAL Expansion Board (SR-JV80-02)
PIANO Expansion Board (SR-JV80-03)
VINTAGE SYNTH Expansion Board (SR-JV80-04)
WORLD Expansion Board (SR-JV80-05)
DANCE Expansion Board (SR-JV80-06)
SUPER SOUND SET Expansion Board (SR-JV80-07)
KEYBOARDS OF THE 60's & 70's Expansion Board (SR-JV80-08)
SESSION Expansion Board (SR-JV80-09)
BASS AND DRUM Expansion Board (SR-JV80-10)
TECHNO COLLECTION Expansion Board (SR-JV80-11)
HIP HOP Expansion Board (SR-JV80-12)
VOCAL COLLECTION Expansion Board (SR-JV80-13)
ASIAN Expansion Board (SR-JV80-14)
SPECIAL FX Collection Expansion Board (SR-JV80-15)
ORCHESTRAL II Expansion Board (SR-JV80-16)
COUNTRY Collection Expansion Board (SR-JV80-17)
LATIN Collection Expansion Board (SR-JV80-18)
HOUSE Collection Expansion Board (SR-JV80-19)
EXPERIENCE 2 Expansion Board (SR-JV80-98)
EXPERIENCE Expansion Board (SR-JV80-99)
15th May 2009
Old 15th May 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonB View Post
I'll be parting with my Roland XV-5050 because I just picked up a XV-5080 instead. Now I'll have access to 4 JV80 slots. I was wondering if there were any I really should consider. I already have the following -

SRX cards - Orchestral, Supreme Dance, and World. I'm still debating on parting with World, as I'm not liking it all that much. I love both Orch and Dance card though. I have tried Platinum Hits and Ulitmate Keys. I didn't like either of them all that much either, but I'll have a chance to try the Ultimate Keys card again when I get my XV-5080.

JV80 cards - I already have the JV80-04 Vintage card in my Roland JD990. I *LOVE* this card. Totally awesome!

So, out of the list below, with the above considerations, should I be considering anything below?

POP Expansion Board (SR-JV80-01)
PIANO Expansion Board (SR-JV80-03)
VINTAGE SYNTH Expansion Board (SR-JV80-04)
WORLD Expansion Board (SR-JV80-05)
DANCE Expansion Board (SR-JV80-06)
SUPER SOUND SET Expansion Board (SR-JV80-07)
KEYBOARDS OF THE 60's & 70's Expansion Board (SR-JV80-08)
HIP HOP Expansion Board (SR-JV80-12)
VOCAL COLLECTION Expansion Board (SR-JV80-13)
ASIAN Expansion Board (SR-JV80-14)
SPECIAL FX Collection Expansion Board (SR-JV80-15)
ORCHESTRAL II Expansion Board (SR-JV80-16)
COUNTRY Collection Expansion Board (SR-JV80-17)
LATIN Collection Expansion Board (SR-JV80-18)
HOUSE Collection Expansion Board (SR-JV80-19)
EXPERIENCE 2 Expansion Board (SR-JV80-98)
EXPERIENCE Expansion Board (SR-JV80-99)
These are the best in my opinion

VINTAGE SYNTH Expansion Board (SR-JV80-04) KEYBOARDS OF THE 60's & 70's Expansion Board (SR-JV80-08)

I have Orchestral, 60s and 70s, Vintage, and Techno. Orch and 60 and 70s are amazing. They have a certain sound you don't find anywhere else. I love my 3080 more than my motif xs, the best sounding rompler ever.

ORCHESTRAL Expansion Board (SR-JV80-02) VINTAGE SYNTH Expansion Board (SR-JV80-04) KEYBOARDS OF THE 60's & 70's Expansion Board (SR-JV80-08) SESSION Expansion Board (SR-JV80-09) BASS AND DRUM Expansion Board (SR-JV80-10)
15th May 2009
Old 15th May 2009
Lives for gear

15th May 2009
Old 15th May 2009
Gear maniac

16th May 2009
Old 16th May 2009
Banned

Ditto. Synthmania is one of my fave sites of all time.
DevonB
16th May 2009
Old 16th May 2009
Gear addict

I love the Synthmania site as well! I've made a LOT of pruchase decisions based on it. Some have helped, some did not. Still, a valuable resource.

I still wouldn't mind other people's opinions though, and certainly any factual based commentary from someone in the know about the entire card family would be REALLY helpful. There's usually at least one or two nosing around here that really know their stuff on very specific subjects.

Devon
16th May 2009
Old 16th May 2009
Lives for gear

My Studio

Another thumbs up for Synthmania - great site Mr Varaldo!

As far as the JV cards go, I had 4 in my JV1080 when I bought it - Orchestral, Techno, Hip-hop and Session.

The Techno and Hip-Hop were not my cup of tea at all, verging on 'rubbish' IMO. The Orchestral one I suspect was good, but I'm no expert in that area and I had no real use for it. They all got sold. The Session card is great, good pianos, strings and other bread and butter stuff that 'fixes' the bog-standard versions you get in the JVs. A decent collection of synthy patches too.

I got an XV2020 as an upgrade and to save a bit of space, and was annoyed to find the piano in it isn't as good as the Session one, and a SRX piano card is not a cheap route.
7th January 2010
Old 7th January 2010
Gear addict

another thumbs up for SynthMania, really helped me out choosing sr-jv80 cards and speaking of which, what is more beneficial and has the most presets - getting the "complete orchestra" srx card or getting the orchestra 1, 2, and vocal collection sr-jv80 card? not regarding money. i'd really like to know the difference. for my xv module...
8th January 2010
Old 8th January 2010
Lives for gear

DevonB, I've just done the same 5050 to 5080 transition.

Now I'm also on the hunt for some extra SRX and SRJV boards. Currently I have the SRX09 World and the Vintage synth and Keyboards of the 60s/70s SRJV boards.

The piano and the strings SRX boards look interesting, unfortunarely most SRJV boards are loop-based, i.e. loads of loops that are more or less out of date today. Too bad Roland never released a Vintage Synths II.

Is there any site available where one can find suitable sample based programs for the 5080? I really like to have the original S50/550 library in my 5080 but without a S700/750/760 it seems impossible to import the disks.
10th January 2010
Old 10th January 2010
Gear addict

Orchestral II is FANTASTIC. Strings, Choir "Enya stile" and celtic insturments.
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
This just might be the best post ever. I've been googling the JV cards to add to my JV-1010 and found this thread.

Mr Varaldo, is that you playing the 001 Warm Violins patch from the Orchestral card? Beautiful playing...made me smile...and made me want this card the most (that and Sound on Sound's review).

I think I might just download all your Orchestral sound files and whet my appetite.

The strings (or warm violins) on my onboard JV-1010 sound similar. Here's a comparison of your playing the expansion patch and me playing the onboard 1010 patch:

http://soundcloud.com/dhollmusik/jv-1010-onboard-warm-violin-vs-sr-jv80-02-warm-violin

(I've linked to your site on the file description).

There is a weird barely-audible high-pitched screech going on in the JV-1010 patch. Any ideas what that is? Maybe it's meant to be a simulation of string-screech...or something.

I might try and replicate your playing with my patch to get a more telling comparison.

The only other board I was considering was the World board (my 1010 can only take one board)...

Really great to have so many samples to check out
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Vintage Synth and Special FX

those are essential IMO. The rest is up to your tastes.
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Vintage Synth and Special FX

those are essential IMO. The rest is up to your tastes.
Synthesis and FX stuff I like to create my own, so those two are not for me.

I bet they're as good as you say tho', I'm already impressed by the synth/fx stuff onboard my JV-1010.
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

No .. actually.. that is WHY you should get them. For making sounds from the ground up.. great industrial/field recording there for make tons of unique drums etc.. Special FX card is where its at.

so wait... what do you want the cards for again??
I didn't really catch your post before sorry...
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollmusik View Post
This just might be the best post ever. I've been googling the JV cards to add to my JV-1010 and found this thread.

Mr Varaldo, is that you playing the 001 Warm Violins patch from the Orchestral card? Beautiful playing...made me smile...and made me want this card the most (that and Sound on Sound's review).

I think I might just download all your Orchestral sound files and whet my appetite.

The strings (or warm violins) on my onboard JV-1010 sound similar. Here's a comparison of your playing the expansion patch and me playing the onboard 1010 patch:

http://soundcloud.com/dhollmusik/jv-1010-onboard-warm-violin-vs-sr-jv80-02-warm-violin

(I've linked to your site on the file description).

There is a weird barely-audible high-pitched screech going on in the JV-1010 patch. Any ideas what that is? Maybe it's meant to be a simulation of string-screech...or something.

I might try and replicate your playing with my patch to get a more telling comparison.

The only other board I was considering was the World board (my 1010 can only take one board)...

Really great to have so many samples to check out
Hey, thanks!

Of course that's me playing the Warm Violins patch , I play all my demos, in real time too , and you can tell that I liked this patch very much because typically I play the demos for 30 seconds, but this one lasts 2 minutes and half!

Roland's string samples have that "something". The string patches on the Orchestral II board is beautiful as well, and so is the Emotionale patch from the same board.

There is also the original sound from the Roland S-series sampler library, I've always loved this patch (and note, this is dry, without reverb!).

Other strings that I like lately come from the "humble" Cakewalk Dimension Pro soft synth (isn't this nice?).

The best ones are arguably from East West Hollywood Strings or VSL Vienna libraries- One simply cannot tell that's not a real orchestra. Too expensive, though - I got the EW Orchestra Gold and that's good enough for me right now

Also, you can get a better string sound by layering string patches from different sound sources / synths. A common trick is to layer real string ensemble samples with analog strings = heavenly bliss...
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No .. actually.. that is WHY you should get them. For making sounds from the ground up.. great industrial/field recording there for make tons of unique drums etc.. Special FX card is where its at.

so wait... what do you want the cards for again??
I didn't really catch your post before sorry...
Aye, but my host is the JV-1010...so editing is not anywhere near as user-friendly as the bigger units.

I'm not the OP. I resurrected the thread (which is over a year old) as I've been googling for information. My deal is, I have plenty of synth hardware, but wanted a small good allrounder sound module, mainly for those real-world acoustic sounds you don't get from synthesizers.

So I settled on the JV-1010 (which I really like) and as it has space for one expansion board, and good World/Orchestral selections are about the only thing missing from my sonic arsenal, I ended up on Mr Varaldo's site.

I still don't know which one to get tho', they both sound excellent. I'm thinking Orchestral. I have the E-MU Proteus Orchestral but it cannot match the Roland card (based on the samples I've been listening to).

Can the E-MU World Proteus match the Roland SR-JV80-05? That is one Proteus that I've not found much online about.
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The best ones are arguably from East West Hollywood Strings or VSL Vienna libraries
I get "403 Forbidden" error with the Hollywood. The Vienna sounds lovely. The file says "conducted by Michael Hula".

??

How does that work?
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, you can get a better string sound by layering string patches from different sound sources / synths. A common trick is to layer real string ensemble samples with analog strings = heavenly bliss...
Cheers for the tip
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I get "403 Forbidden" error with the Hollywood. The Vienna sounds lovely. The file says "conducted by Michael Hula".

??

How does that work?
Weird, it works for me... Go to the East West Hollywood Strings page then: Hollywood Strings - Sounds Online and click on the "DEMOS" tab. They are all awesome, but the composition I personally really like is the "Desiderata" by Colin O'Malley. I wish I could afford Hollywood Strings but right now I'm back at focusing on hardware synths.
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
right now I'm back at focusing on hardware synths.
Aye...I'm all about hardware. It simply works for me (I get too distracted when having to deal with a monitor, mouse & keyboard and the myriad issues with installs, licenses, latency etc).
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, one slot and not so fun editting...

I'd say Orchestral then..
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh yeah, one slot and not so fun editting...

I'd say Orchestral then..
Aye...I think so too...the World can wait
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Actually, fook it...i'll get both. When one is needed over the other, it's a simple swap. I'll hardly ever need both at the same time, for the same song.

...Gearslut to the end.
29th January 2011
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

now you're thinkin!!
8th March 2011
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, fook it...i'll get both. When one is needed over the other, it's a simple swap. I'll hardly ever need both at the same time, for the same song.

...Gearslut to the end.
I proper gearslutted it as I got the JV-1080 too. The cards I got from a USA Ebay dealer at a decent price, they arrived safely.

Here's a little first spiel I did, not as useful as Synthmania's demos as it's just me fumbling about without even registering which patch from which card I'm playing.

Sounds great tho', definitely worth having both cards.

http://soundcloud.com/dhollmusik/sr-jv80-02-sr-jv80-05

I'll be doing a JV-1010 vs JV-1080 test at some point, as I'm fascinated by the question as to whether the 1080 has higher-quality outputs or not (and not just more outputs).
7th April 2013
Old 7th April 2013
Gear interested

Have SR-JV80-10 will swap for SR-JV80-15

Hi there,
I have the Drums & Bass card, which is very cool, but I really need to get my hands on the Special FX card - would anyone like to swap or point me in the right direction?
Cheers!
7th April 2013
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear

I have Vintage Synth and Keyboards of the 60s&70s. Both are amazing! I use the Vintage Synth one the most, as it's very versatile. But, wow, the 60s&70s is nutty good! ..surprises me all the time, how real and how nice it sounds. Makes me wish I knew how to play and to learn more, just to make the most out of it. I think anyone into jazz, soul, hip hop, etc. would be in heaven with the 60s&70s card.
11th July 2013
Old 11th July 2013
Lives for gear

I have the vintage synth card in my JD990. In my XV5080 I have the SRX Complete Orchestra and Symphonique Strings along with the JV80 keyboards of the 60's and 70's. I am wanting to add the SRX Classic EP's along with the JV80 special fx. That will leave me with one srx slot and 2 jv80 slots. I am wondering if the SRX world contains all the stuff from the asia jv80 card? Then I could get the SRX World along with the JV80 session and 1 other JV80 card (probably session). Thoughts?
10th June 2014
Old 10th June 2014
Gear interested

Srx card again

Hi,
Sorry, I know it's a one year old thread but I have already used a lot all your very good advices but still need one.
I have a Nord Stage II, a Nord lead 2X, a Roland D50, a Nord C2 organ, a Proteus 2000 (composer rom+Protozoa rom, world rom and Xtreamlead 7 rom), an Oberheim Matrix 1000, a yamaha Tx802 and my Roland XV5080...ok, I know that's a lot but I've collecting this set up for 30 years....(I'm 50)....
I play Jazz, rock, Jazz-rock (Scoffield, weather report...), 80's (wham, Yaz, Duran Duran), blues, some electro music but more in the ambient style, not much Dance.
I have no virtual synth or drums software etc, all analog....Just cubase and my next purchase might be Music Quest sound Quest to mange all my set up. (Ok, that's weird but I like to tweak knobs instead of a mouse....)...
I have currently in my XV5080,
1) SRX dynamic drums : because no drums software I wanted to have a huge choice of drums sounds with my proteus and XV
2) SRX Big Brass ensemble, to have them when I'm playing jazz or stuff like Earth wind and fire.
3) SR-JV Bass and Drums, for all the very good bass sounds by Marcus Miller and Patitucci, two of my favorite bass players.
4) SR-JV Vintage Synth. I tried to buy the SRX ultimate keys but realized that I don't need any organ sound and this card is too expensive.

THEN WHAT?
I think the Electric Piano on my Stage II are a little bit short, good but not exceptional, so, the SRX-12 seems to be a good catch? Let me know
I have already the Word Rom in my Proteus, so no need another one even if everybody rate this one first almost all the time? Your thought....
SRX-6 complete orchestra might be the good choice but always more than 200$ On ebay....do you need to do movies music only to use this one?
And then, two more slot for the SR-JV cards but which ones?

That's it, you have the info, give me your advices?
Thanks
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search