Which editor for the DSI Evolver should I buy?
Resonant Serpent
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Gear addict

Which editor for the DSI Evolver should I buy?

I just picked up a desktop Evolver. I've found two editors online. Which one is the best, and are there others?

Thanks.
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Definitely the Soundtower editor. The Program Genetics feature is killer. It allows you to randomize and blend patches in a way that really gets the creative fires burning. It's awesome because you can also randomize sequences and external processing patches as well as the playable synth patches. The shear range of madness is really rewarding.

I've got tons of wicked loops and effects samples on my HD from using and abusing Program Genetics.
Resonant Serpent
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Definitely the Soundtower editor. The Program Genetics feature is killer. It allows you to randomize and blend patches in a way that really gets the creative fires burning. It's awesome because you can also randomize sequences and external processing patches as well as the playable synth patches. The shear range of madness is really rewarding.

I've got tons of wicked loops and effects samples on my HD from using and abusing Program Genetics.
Awesome. Thanks for the great advice.

I haven't been this excited about a synth in a while.

5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Lives for gear

Yes, def the Sound Tower editor.
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Lives for gear

I've never used any of the editors, but my friend is thinking there is a new VST Evolver editor out. Is there a new one coming out? Is the ST editor a VST plugin? I know the Vyzor editor is.
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Gear addict

I had the same dilemma 2 years ago, when I bought a desktop Evolver. Went with the Vyzor editor, because it looked so damn sleek and sexy - the screenshots have blinded me Since then I fired it up a couple of times, and each time had to read the manual (which is huge btw), because the thing is so complex and un-intuitive. Besides, Psicraft (the developers of Vyzor editor) keep pushing the release date of version 2. At the moment, their website proudly states: "Vyzor Evolver 2.00, the highly anticipated upgrade to Vyzor Evolver will be officially released in April, 2009". Oh well..

just my 0.02$
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Gear addict

the thing that annoys me about using an editor is that it hogs up the midi ports.

nord modular had it sorted with double ports on the synth.
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post

hey! I didn't find a random function yet . Can u be more explicit pls ? Where is that function ?

thx
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Gear addict

"program genetics"
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreg View Post
I had the same dilemma 2 years ago, when I bought a desktop Evolver. Went with the Vyzor editor, because it looked so damn sleek and sexy - the screenshots have blinded me Since then I fired it up a couple of times, and each time had to read the manual (which is huge btw), because the thing is so complex and un-intuitive. Besides, Psicraft (the developers of Vyzor editor) keep pushing the release date of version 2. At the moment, their website proudly states: "Vyzor Evolver 2.00, the highly anticipated upgrade to Vyzor Evolver will be officially released in April, 2009". Oh well..

just my 0.02$

I was part of the "beta" test for the first one (i.e. I was stupid enough to pay for the beta so they could work out endless bugs) and I would not go near those guys again. Their (i think it is one guy actually) programing skills are marginal at best and their development cycle is glacial. The first version is based on midiquest 9 and took 3 years to get out the door. The second one was supposed to come out as soon as midiquest 10 shipped and that was how many years ago? Slow, annoying to use, buggy. The controls from the Evo DO NOT EVEN control the controls on the editor. It looks real nice though.. ST editor owns this bloatware. Oh, and dont get too excited about the VST feature, it (as well as midiquest's VST in general) is the buggiest piece of software I have ever used, it will consistantly lock up your midi ports, crash your host, takes forever to do ANYTHING. Absolute Shite.
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicfunk View Post
hey! I didn't find a random function yet . Can u be more explicit pls ? Where is that function ?
Options > Program Genetics
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Gear maniac

5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Gear interested

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search