Kore and Softsynths...is it a must
New Reply
Subscribe
ehunter
4th May 2009
Old 4th May 2009
Gear Head

Kore and Softsynths...is it a must

So I am debating Kore 2 right now, I do have a bunch of softsynths and would like to management of one interface as well as the knobs to control the parameters? I do have a novation remote keyboard but dont wnat to make tons of custom maps for all the synths and am not hapy with the automapped parameters

So for those who own or use Kore 2 what do you think?
4th May 2009
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

I was on the wall about kore also, i decided to just get it, it should be here next week, does kore manage other non NI software also?
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Lives for gear

People use Kore2 for many different reasons. Some people just use it for library management. Others just use it for sound design. And still others use it for live applications.

Yes Kore will handle non-NI VSTIs as well as effects.

For every soft synth, you will most likely make your own template, then import the sounds from the VSTI. Or you can just use the factory templates, however if you are like me, you will want to make your own.

Also consider the fact that Kore has 8 knobs and 8 buttons for the template. Many soft synths have over a hundred knobs. You can make a template for every single control on your soft synth, however I think most people make a template for just the common parameters. The difference is having a template with perhaps 12 pages vs. a template with maybe 3 or 4 pages with the most common parameters.

Be prepared for a learning curve as you don't learn this overnight. The manual is very poor in my estimation. You can learn more about Kore and its features from the NI tutorials that are on Youtube. I think there should be 6 or 7 of them and that can explain how Kore works.

Biggest drawbacks for myself: Some VSTi manufacturers...such as ARTURIA....don't follow the fxp/fxp format. Therefore you can not batch import any sounds from Arturia. Each sound has to be individually imported for Arturia.

Feel free to browse the NI user form for other badly needed features, and issues.
8th May 2009
Old 8th May 2009
Lives for gear

The librarian software I thought was now available for free download?

I have the Kore hardware and K2 software. It's great. I also have a Mackie c4. You will be very pleasantly surprised with how much more you're able to pull out of softsynths creatively just as a product of migrating from mouse to knobs. Quite a worthwhile endeavor, if you ask me.
10th May 2009
Old 10th May 2009
Gear addict

I got it, and rarely use it. I should use it more I suppose, but I've found it crashes a fair bit still, so I'll probably keep avoiding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
So I am debating Kore 2 right now, I do have a bunch of softsynths and would like to management of one interface as well as the knobs to control the parameters? I do have a novation remote keyboard but dont wnat to make tons of custom maps for all the synths and am not hapy with the automapped parameters

So for those who own or use Kore 2 what do you think?
11th May 2009
Old 11th May 2009
Gear nut

I use it, and it works nicely! It won't work seamlessly with all vst's, I've experienced problems with a few of the more complex vst's with the patch integration, but I've yet to find a vst that doesn't integrate and map to the knobs. The problems have all been with recalling a patch from within kore, but only on one or two synths.
11th May 2009
Old 11th May 2009
Gear maniac

I have Kore2 and a ton of Kore Soundpacks, love them all. One problem I've had though is that Kore/Kore2 is such a system hog. I've had projects that, half way through recording, I would have to convert all the mixertracks to WAV files, open a new session, import the WAV's, and then I was able to add more instruments. On top of that, I would constantly have to increase latency in order for the computer to run smoothly. All of this is running on a pretty high end computer (4gig ram, 3.0 CPU, 320g HD, etc). Pain in the ass, but still worth it.
11th May 2009
Old 11th May 2009
Lives for gear

i have kore 2 and have been using it a lot more lately. the only problem i have is when i'm using kontakt 3 .ntk files for sample libraries/instruments i purchased outside of ni it doesn't work 100% but as a file librarian/vst controller it works pretty good. plus you can layer stuff in there and use it as a live controller this is what i'm working on right now. for ni stuff bang on for other vstis there are still issues.
11th May 2009
Old 11th May 2009
Lives for gear

Isn't Kore a Native Instruments product ? I really don't like that company. I have about a grand in them from various revisions of Final scratch and the service after the fact was bunk. As was the product.

I don't want to deal with them again. Sticking with real analog synths with their real analog problems and benefits for now.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search