VST drum machine/sampler?
annikk.exe
4th May 2009
Old 4th May 2009
Gear nut

VST drum machine/sampler?

What's a good, free, VST drum machine?
I want something that is very intuitive to use.

Previous experience is all with Reason's Redrum. Something very similar to that would be great. :>

I've had a look at a few different ones and the level of complexity in most of them is a bit offputting...

-Annikk
4th May 2009
Old 4th May 2009

I also was looking for something nice and simple while back, just something i can bring up a sample quickly in my DAW and play it across the keyboard. Most of the samplers these days are big and bloated.

I found Shortcircuit to be the answer. it doesn't look much but its solid and free

vemberaudio.se - shortcircuit
4th May 2009
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear
4th May 2009
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

Have you checked out GURU?
FXpansion - Guru
On the site they have some videos that can show you how easy it is to use & how powerful it is as well.

That is what I would use in your shoes.
4th May 2009
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear

Guru all the way brother...

pull out your sample on pad 1, right click and choose copy to all pads chromatically, and bada-bang, spread across your keyboard.

apart from that, its just an all round great drum machine for any type of electronic music - the sample library that comes with it aint too shabby either....

love it
4th May 2009
Old 4th May 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rtynyc View Post
Have you checked out GURU?
FXpansion - Guru
On the site they have some videos that can show you how easy it is to use & how powerful it is as well.

That is what I would use in your shoes.
reading is fundamental
he wrote free drum machine in his post

a good free drum vsti come with the "computer music" magazine
4th May 2009
Old 4th May 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord toranaga View Post
reading is fundamental
he wrote free drum machine in his post

a good free drum vsti come with the "computer music" magazine
Oh, so they're giving computer music for free, now?

j/k

I did miss the "free" part, but I still suggest DK+ as a cheap alternative. I used to use SR-202 (the one that came with CM), but I never liked it too much.

Or.... just have a look here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=results&st=adv&soft=i&type[]=3&f=vst&fe=0&osx=1&win=1&free=1&sf=0&receptor=&de=0&sort=1&rpp=15&start=15

This one looks good: KVR: Venusian Snails Tatapoum - Virtual Instrument
3rd September 2009
Old 3rd September 2009

11th November 2013
Old 11th November 2013
Gear interested

best free drum sampler

the best free drum sampler is softdrum ltd by fretted synth, I tried all the ones people say, paid ones like poise or free like short circuit or the many others. The best one I used that is EASY is softdrum. you download unzip and move the .dll to you vstplugins folder, NO signing up for stupid shit, demo ware shit that last for just a few days NOT from some magazine FREE if you buy a subscription for life, WORKS WITH ANY DAW 9there is a win and mac version, In your DAW when you have a midi track of your drums, or just a midi drum line, open softdrum, insert the pieces you have for each drum, like bass drum, then you tweak the modulation, volume, velocity, you can add four different variation of hit velocity of your drum pieces, you can get these drum piece samples from freesound.org.

Then after going through and inserting the drum piece wav files, you then push play on your DAW transport, it will play the drum pieces you selected. There are many good free drum sequencers (at this point you will need only a sequencer, but I use a drum sequencer just to say I did, I play live drums and program machines to those tracks Hence, I play electronica<thats fancy for industrial without the guitar) the best one is Hydrogen, hydrogen is limited to four stupid sounding drum sets, is not vst, it is a stand alone, BUT you operate it like a drum machine, AND IT IS SUPER EASY TO PROGRAM(I am very good at programing, but you know as I do, you need a PhD from the company them self to know their drum machines, I wont name any-you pretty much know that would be any you can mention)-

You can program simple one measure drum riffs to make loops you can try and sell on reverbnation...god bless if some one actually buys them...OR just loops for yourself, OR you can program the drums to be a full piece of music, a whole song, Then export your work as a MIDI file, IT WILL MAKE YOUR drum line into a midi file, SO with you open your DAW's open, open the midi file in your tracker, assign softdrum as the instrument and again assign the drum pieces to softdrum PRESTO pretty damned easy HU? (me, I took the time to make drum sets in advance with my pieces and softdrum vst) Now, after you get all squared away with your functions and such....you can create and save your drum piece selections, if you want to hang on to your drum kits you make up, this is good so you don't have keep re assigning the pieces you use most-think smarter not harder!...Softdrum is much better and takes almost no time to figure out...if you get drum samples that are recorded from live drums, this will be the best next thing to real drums without paying for one or paying anything...Once again go to freesound.org there are many guys on it that have full sets of live drum samples just for the reason of using midi drum samplers ( just be cool like me and kick these guys you get your free vst and wav sounds from a buck or two for beer, it takes a long time to make VSTi)...

It also works great if you have USB drum pads, I just pound out my licks the old fashioned way. SO JUST TRY IT, if you don't like it...you can just delete it hu? I trash canned all those drum software programs like session drummer, addictive drums all that stupid NI kontact player shit, all of those wanting your money for their crap that takes months, years to learn...I refuse to pay for stuff that needs special stuff to play it and ONLY that special stuff. When you see and know how easy this system is you will be giving me all your money that you would have saved buying all that other crap. KEEP YOU money...lol just kidding, I make enough from stage shows and albums now...PEACE.

P.S. the drum samples you need are WAV files, not some stupid assed bull crap, your files are kept as WAV, meaning you can play them in anything, who ever invented the other formats...sucks to be you to have to buy only their stuff - there is nothing in fontplayer SF2 or REX that you cant get in any other stuff, I advise throwing away reason or DAW that makes you buy mp3 encoder time or refils - get pro tools, cakewalk or even sony acid and you wont have that problem OR export you music as WAV and download one of the many softwares that are free with a lame encoder like audacity, me, I am just smart and READ the BOX before bringing it home. I can teach you how to be a PRO and how to save your cash. but if you like spending money and not having enough left for beer...then keep using reason. I prefer to save my money for the rent of my studio or the gals i take home from the venues I played. Also, I only use XP3 - I don't need 64, or any thing like win 8, all that is just for you to pay them more money. electronic music has come far, but to play anything you hear or like, you only need xp and basic stuff and you can record like the dudes at Sire Records from your sofa or garage - I have 7 albums out and working on a 8th and I never used any of that other crap to get a contract. My music creation is NOT a video game, So I opt for basic gear, I stay away from those things with major graphics, look cool or whatever...nobody sees my monitor in the audience and no body in the audience cares what I use, they just want to hear good music...I use what works and has no problems on stage, and that is what I want, the last thing i need is my shit freezing up.

And if can't play drums, cant make even drum beats-then dont despair, type >free midi drum beats in your browser, there are many free ones, or cheap ones---you can get you those and use all this stuff I said above - PRESTO, you have beats that sound like a real Mapex or Pearl or Roland 808 or what ever pieces you get
11th November 2013
Old 11th November 2013
which DAW are you using? most come with a pretty decent drum machine
11th November 2013
Old 11th November 2013
Gear interested

I use sonar x1, Pro tools HD and others...but I posted all that for people who use that free stuff. I don't like what comes with my DAW, not the sequencer at least.
11th November 2013
Old 11th November 2013
was talking to OP but I just realized this is an old ass thread LOL
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search