Login / Register

CUBASE 5 but no sound, can't play MIDI...
New Reply
Subscribe
shim333
25th April 2009
Old 25th April 2009
Gear interested

CUBASE 5 but no sound, can't play MIDI...

Hi. A newbie needs your help from you, please.
I just got my new (and first) DAW, Echo AudioFire4
interface and a brand-new PC pre-installed with CUBASE 5
Let me get to the chase.

Problem is that I just can't hear or record anything.......
The only thing I hear from CUBASE is the TRACK CLICK if I press the "RECORD" button.
I can tell you, all the equipments are turned ON and at least physically connected.

I searched and searched in the internet as well as in the manual of CUBASE 5 and I can't find any lead to the way out.
Maybe because it is just so basic that no one even talks about.

My keyboard (Studiologic SL-990xp) is a really simple midi controller that only has a MIDI OUT other than the Ebony and Ivory (and few other controls).
Has no USB port, no sound inside. So, I connect this equipment via MIDI cable to AudioFire4's "MIDI IN" port which is connected to the PC via FireWire cable.
Is this correct? Now, what do I do next?

I studied manual and figured out (sort of) how to register "external instrument" but if I try to register it as an external instrument,
I still do not see any MIDI INPUT as AudioFire port selection to assign to it. It only has Analog 1 - 2 (XLR Input) Analog 3 - 4 (TRS input)
and S/PDIF as potential input ports. No "MIDI" input shown as option in CUBASE...

I know this is such a laman's question but please someone tell me what I may be doing wrong...

Thanks, all for listening and your help.

Last edited by shim333; 25th April 2009 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Title Wrong...
25th April 2009
Old 25th April 2009
Gear Head

Does the midi indicator light when you press a key? You need to go to file>preferences>midi and make sure midi thru is active. See page 20 of the getting started manual.

You need to make sure your midi interface is recognised - go to devices>device setup and look at the top of the tree where it says midi and expands out to midi port setup. Your midi keyboard should be listed there. If not, check the windows device mangler and make sure the drivers are installed properly and that the midi device is turned on before you start Cubase.

You also need to insert the vst into the project (go to devices>vst instruments or press F11). You need to create a midi track and make sure the correct input is selected in the channel strip on the left. You also need to make sure the correct vst is selected in the midi output. You can also create an instrument track which is the new way of doing it which combines the midi and audio tracks for the vst.

To check the audio, go to devices>device setup and look at the bottom of the tree where it says VST Audio System. Your audio device / soundcard should be listed under here and in the right hand panel you want to select the ASIO driver associated with your soundcard. Again, if not, check the windows device mangler and make sure the drivers are installed properly for the soundcard.

You need to the make sure that Cubase is outputting the stereo mixer output to your soundcard. Go to Devices>VST Connections or F4 and under the Outputs* tab create BUS 1 and then under device port select the L and R channels of your soundcard.

* If you use the full version of Cubase and you use the Control Room you want may want to leave Outputs unconnected and select the Studio tab and connect the L and R channels of your soundcard to the device ports of the Monitor 1 output.
shim333
26th April 2009
Old 26th April 2009
Gear interested

Dear Mook

Thank you very much for your thorough advices!
I got the sound finally. It was the SOUNDCARD in VST Audio set up
which I totally missed.

Cool, now I can play some notes in Cubase 5!!!

You can't tell how happy I am. Again, thanks thanks thanks!!!
26th September 2009
Old 26th September 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shim333 View Post
Hi. A newbie needs your help from you, please.
I just got my new (and first) DAW, Echo AudioFire4
interface and a brand-new PC pre-installed with CUBASE 5
Let me get to the chase.

Problem is that I just can't hear or record anything.......
The only thing I hear from CUBASE is the TRACK CLICK if I press the "RECORD" button.
I can tell you, all the equipments are turned ON and at least physically connected.

I searched and searched in the internet as well as in the manual of CUBASE 5 and I can't find any lead to the way out.
Maybe because it is just so basic that no one even talks about.

My keyboard (Studiologic SL-990xp) is a really simple midi controller that only has a MIDI OUT other than the Ebony and Ivory (and few other controls).
Has no USB port, no sound inside. So, I connect this equipment via MIDI cable to AudioFire4's "MIDI IN" port which is connected to the PC via FireWire cable.
Is this correct? Now, what do I do next?

I studied manual and figured out (sort of) how to register "external instrument" but if I try to register it as an external instrument,
I still do not see any MIDI INPUT as AudioFire port selection to assign to it. It only has Analog 1 - 2 (XLR Input) Analog 3 - 4 (TRS input)
and S/PDIF as potential input ports. No "MIDI" input shown as option in CUBASE...

I know this is such a laman's question but please someone tell me what I may be doing wrong...

Thanks, all for listening and your help.
Hi. I have the same problem. No MIDI output from Cubase 5.0

I'm not sure what to do about it. I followed the instructions on this thread,
no sound.

Vista SP 1 OS.
Midisport 4x4 interface. (Cubase spots it).
XG module receives no data.
Cables are correct.

When I thump on a piano key - it lights up in Cubase.
My interface has a MIDI input flashing light.
There is no light flashing on MIDI output.
29th January 2010
Old 29th January 2010
Gear interested

No sound from VST instruments in Cubase 5

I just recently installed Cubase 5, and for about a day everything was fine,
but all of a sudden all midi sound stopped coming through.

When a midi track plays in Cubase 5, the sound level next to the midi track and in the mixer
(at the fader for the track) goes up and down, but the master level doesn't move. Therefore there is no sound at all.
If I click/hit the notes on an actual VST instrument (e.g. clicking the keys on a vst piano or synth,
or hitting the buttons corresponding to each drum sound in GrooveAgent), regardless of whether there's a corresponding track,
there is no sound. Regular audio works fine, though. I checked all the usual settings and can't see anything wrong.
Strangely, if I use Cubase SX 3, everything is fine, and I can't find any relevant settings that differ between the 2 programs.

-Charles
29th January 2010
Old 29th January 2010
Lives for gear

CB4 not 5 here but try this:
  • devices
  • device set up
  • midi port setup
  • check both box's Use System Timestamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
The knob on the Source is perhaps the ballsiest knob ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprenticemart2 View Post
I like the sample packs with booby girls on the front cover or sound engineers lookin' 'ard as fur.
8th March 2010
Old 8th March 2010
Gear interested

Cubase 5.1 no longer output singnal from VST instruments

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesB View Post
I just recently installed Cubase 5, and for about a day everything was fine,
but all of a sudden all midi sound stopped coming through.

When a midi track plays in Cubase 5, the sound level next to the midi track and in the mixer
(at the fader for the track) goes up and down, but the master level doesn't move. Therefore there is no sound at all.
If I click/hit the notes on an actual VST instrument (e.g. clicking the keys on a vst piano or synth,
or hitting the buttons corresponding to each drum sound in GrooveAgent), regardless of whether there's a corresponding track,
there is no sound. Regular audio works fine, though. I checked all the usual settings and can't see anything wrong.
Strangely, if I use Cubase SX 3, everything is fine, and I can't find any relevant settings that differ between the 2 programs.

-Charles
I do have the same problem.
I'm using Cubae 5.1, on a Vista system, a MIDI-keyboard (with internal sounds), keyboard is connected to the computer using an USB-interface.
I have installed several VST instruments, and all was working fine.
All of a sudden no VST output was there anymore. The output-indicator does no longer blink when pressing a key.
I can still play my keyboard, using the on-board sounds (Microsoft GS), and the output signal is there, so is the sound.
But not any VST instrument can be heard, since the output signal has gone.
If I load a VST-instrument, and use the Edit-key, I do see the instrument's
panel and keyboard.
If playing this virtual keyboard I used to hear sound, while the keys played
became red.
Now the keys still turn red, but no output signal is there.
Who can solve this problem?
Mr Arkadin
8th March 2010
Old 8th March 2010
Mr Arkadin

9th August 2010
Old 9th August 2010
Gear interested

cubase and axiom 25

Hi im a begginer and ive been looking at the post trying figure out the same thing about . why my midi controller shows a signal that its Working but nothing comes outt...

please help me this is so nerve racking

how do i get this to workkkk..................
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search