Login / Register
 
who's doing live electronic music WITHOUT computers (on stage)?
New Reply
Subscribe
überschall
Thread Starter
#1
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #1
Gear nut
 
überschall's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 84

Thread Starter
überschall is offline
who's doing live electronic music WITHOUT computers (on stage)?

I just came across Alexander Kowalski's 909 on German ebay, where he said in the q&a at the bottom that he changed his live-setup to "ableton and two controllers".

Personally, I think it's a sad trend and it makes a lot of (great) artists more generic than it used to be. There's this pic of Paul Brtschitsch being chased by Laptops and Arnaud Rebotini released a wonderful album in 2008 where only hw-synths/drummachines were used.

What are you guys thinking about this? Do you care? To me, it also seems that with the combination of Ableton Live and the hype of "minimal techno" these days, a lot of artist also SOUND alike

Which artists DON'T use computers on stage?
#2
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Seattle USA
Posts: 2,877

Meriphew is offline
I think it's fine to use a computer onstage, as long as your adding some actual 'live' instrumentation to it (ie. guitars, keys, bass, etc. etc.).
__________________
My iTunes
#3
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
e6400ultra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Nor*Cal
Posts: 1,549

e6400ultra is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by überschall View Post
I just came across Alexander Kowalski's 909 on German ebay, where he said in the q&a at the bottom that he changed his live-setup to "ableton and two controllers".

Personally, I think it's a sad trend and it makes a lot of (great) artists more generic than it used to be. There's this pic of Paul Brtschitsch being chased by Laptops and Arnaud Rebotini released a wonderful album in 2008 where only hw-synths/drummachines were used.

What are you guys thinking about this? Do you care? To me, it also seems that with the combination of Ableton Live and the hype of "minimal techno" these days, a lot of artist also SOUND alike

Which artists DON'T use computers on stage?
I'm with you on this one. And speaking of live without computers, looks like Orbital will be performing this year: Loopz (The Official Orbital Website)
#4
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Popbott's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Texas by way of Pluto
Posts: 2,011
My Recordings/Credits

Popbott is offline
I don't use a computer on stage. Sure, it's impossible to get away with playing today's electronic music live without having six keyboardists with four synths each, all bobbing their heads playing perfectly in time to a headphone click track looking like complete dorks.

IMO, it's very annoying to see a laptop on stage. Sure it's convenient, but what does your audience think? More and more, audiences are getting used to seeing laptops on stage. I also think it's sad that audiences now are conforming and accepting this as "performing" and allowing musicians (that are great producers BTW) get away with not really playing an instrument on stage and looking like a dancing clown in front of a laptop.

I don't know of any synth produced band that doesn't use a laptop. A while back I remember reading the "Ask Mike" section in keyboard magazine where this person produced live shows for big names like Madonna, Pet Shop Boys and so on, and they all use laptops for playback, but not on stage.

Does Depeche Mode use a laptop on stage? No. Yet it is well known that they are a band that mostly uses backing tracks with live instrumentation during a live show. To a general public, it is more satisfying to see a band that actually looks like it is playing everything live, than to see a laptop with a shitty controller on stage. With a stadium band like DM, their success depends on whether or not they look like a "real" band on stage.

With my all synth band, I use a playback device live. Hidden from my audience, I leave open parts on my tracks and play those parts live to fill in the blanks. With live electronic music, I can still be a performer, actually play an instrument and I don't have to sound like complete dog crap on stage. No one knows, no one cares, and I get all the chicks. If I had a laptop on stage, people probably would not approach us to tell us how much they enjoyed our show.
__________________
PopBott
#5
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Acid Hazard's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,692

Acid Hazard is offline
I wouldn't dare take a laptop on stage. All 100% hardware for me. plus, i don't like to follow trends =o]
__________________
Synths: x0xi0 x0xb0x . Microbrute . Analog Four . Volca Bass . Eurorack Modular stuff . uWave II . Monotron . Monotron Delay

Drum Machines: TR-8 . Volca Beats . Octatrack . TR-505

New DJ Mix - AcidTed - Question Everything
#6
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Home Enthusiasm
Posts: 5,224

crufty is offline
I was just thinking about this...speculating really.

there's not much in the way of midi sequencing out there, short of an octopus type deal.

I am guessing that most audiences have kinda moved past the 16-step grids of the x0xs and maybe expect a little more sequenced diversity. For live stuff, truly live, say 32+ tracks, how else could one playback without a laptop?

for a while I was recording (for simple enjoyment) live jam sessions on x0x style stuff hook ups. Its very hard to be consistent. Muting, changing patterns, cutoffs etc was very challenging w/more then 3 boxes. It took a lot of practice and while fun, I wasn't sure its something I'd want to be doing on a stage. That said, I was thinking it would be doable in a 'friendly' environment, local record store festival, street fair etc where entry fee is nominal.

but if people were paying $20+ a head, I was thinking they might expect more precision, as well as sequencer variety, which as far as I can tell is best served by a laptop (or octopus). You could use an mpc for sequencing, true, and I'm sure there are plenty who do find success with hw sequencers. But that might be one reason you see guys ditching their 909s for live & laptops, sequencing challenges.

Now in terms of audio coming from laptop only, well....

edit: didn't see anyone else posting when posted. acid hazard brings up a good point. There are genres where hw is required!
#7
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
alexp's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Niagara
Posts: 3,891

Send a message via MSN to alexp
alexp is offline
Not to toot my own horn, but we dont use computers on stage at all. I run an Akai DR4, which is running timecode on a track, which is controlling a Roland MC50 sequencer. Beats and basslines are on the Akai, while the MC controls an Akai S1000, Alpha Juno, ESQ1, and Ensoniq Mirage. I play a JX3P and Korg Prophecy most of the time. Once I get my head around EOS, My Emu E4 will replace the Juno, and ESQ, that way I can significantly reduce the size of my rig.

Hope that helps! There ARE people out there still!!!!


alexP
#8
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
wax808's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,482

wax808 is offline
I predict this will be a wonderful and insightful thread with very little bickering.



I don't use a laptop on stage. For one thing I've seen performances go south easily, if a Laptop is all you have then be prepared for a wave of anxiety to rush over you if you don't have a backup and something fails.


That being said I did a gig last year where I had a bunch of stuff on the table. A Numark HDX for scratching, an Alesis Micron, a Bass guitar, etc. But the heart of my rig was my MPC1000 syncing my Alesis Fusion.

Everything was going great during the night. People dancing, having a blast. Then I noticed that when I was trying to play live keys on my Fusion that nothing was coming out of it. I tried not to look bewildered but I couldnt figure it out. Then all the notes I had played all came out at once like a train wreck. Somehow the Fusions processor had become stalled and was not echoing the MIDI correctly.


My point is that many devices out there ARE computers. Luckily my MPC kept plugging away at the beat while I power cycled the Fusion. But if something happens like this with a laptop you are screwed. You better have your set backed up on something else.


I havent played like yet with my new setup. MPC+Blofeld. Nice and compact.
#9
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #9
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 107

detritusdave is offline
I take a computer on stage. And I also play keyboards. And use Ableton to trigger stuff. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. If I didn't there would need to be around 10 of me. Thankfully there aren't. I do what I can with the amount of gear I can physically carry with me when travelling to gigs.

I don't like the idea that someone taking a computer on stage with them isn't playing. Would it be ok for someone to have a hardware sequencer on stage with them?
#10
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
sleepwalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,290

sleepwalker is offline
Blame the artist, not Ableton Live or computers for that matter. Live is so modular and flexible it provides endless new opportunities to the creative. Like ACID before it, it's also really easy to just scratch the surface and sound "professional"

Calling any hardware superior I think is a mistake, but I totally agree that they've lowered the bar so low it's very easy to just do more of the same.

Live is so "modular", you can design "hardware" yourself and never touch a mouse/keyboard. Power to the people.

Aesthetically, computers usually look out of place on stage.
---
The above comments seem disparate and scrambled. Here's my point: Be creative.


Quote:
Originally Posted by überschall View Post
I just came across Alexander Kowalski's 909 on German ebay, where he said in the q&a at the bottom that he changed his live-setup to "ableton and two controllers".

Personally, I think it's a sad trend and it makes a lot of (great) artists more generic than it used to be. There's this pic of Paul Brtschitsch being chased by Laptops and Arnaud Rebotini released a wonderful album in 2008 where only hw-synths/drummachines were used.

What are you guys thinking about this? Do you care? To me, it also seems that with the combination of Ableton Live and the hype of "minimal techno" these days, a lot of artist also SOUND alike

Which artists DON'T use computers on stage?
#11
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Nordenstam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,750

Nordenstam is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
for a while I was recording (for simple enjoyment) live jam sessions on x0x style stuff hook ups. Its very hard to be consistent. Muting, changing patterns, cutoffs etc was very challenging w/more then 3 boxes. It took a lot of practice and while fun, I wasn't sure its something I'd want to be doing on a stage. That said, I was thinking it would be doable in a 'friendly' environment, local record store festival, street fair etc where entry fee is nominal.
That is what I've done since the first gig more than a decade ago. Getting better at it all the time! Delving into turntablism have helped a lot in getting quicker at using the hands. There was a period where I felt a bit out of touch with modern techno sound, but then came the Elektron gear and all those worries was solved.. The monomachine can do all sorts of laptop stuff, like having semirandom rythms that sounds like I've spent a year programming it.

It's techno. People care more about lively active sounds than the compositional features of the song.

Since there is no sequence but the 16-32-64 steps loops, all songs are totally open for improvisation in all sorts of ways. It can give that certain magic to the sound where the public and artists feed back on each other, creating an interactive experience beyond what's possible to capture on tape. The concert experience. People sense that it's all a fragile magic thing only existing in the here and now - something that will never be repeated anywhere else.

Another positive side is that I get to fool around with the same track for ages before comitting it to tape(if I ever get that far!). Play some of the same tracks for years and it's like playing the same tunes over and over with a band - they grow and get better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 View Post
I tried not to look bewildered but I couldnt figure it out.
Can so relate to that! Handling whatever life throws at ya without breaking the illusion of perfect mastery and control on stage is part of the fun of gigging.


Touting my own horn: AndreasLupo on MySpace Music - all tracks have been played "live" to two track. First track is an actual live recording, the rest have been played at home. No editing, all handmade the old school way.


Cheers,

Andreas Nordenstam
überschall
Thread Starter
#12
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #12
Gear nut
 
überschall's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 84

Thread Starter
überschall is offline
I thought nobody would be interested in such a topic after no reply and the other threads started to take over the top spaces Thanks a lot for your replies, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
I don't use a computer on stage. (...)

IMO, it's very annoying to see a laptop on stage. Sure it's convenient, but what does your audience think? More and more, audiences are getting used to seeing laptops on stage. I also think it's sad that audiences now are conforming and accepting this as "performing" and allowing musicians (that are great producers BTW) get away with not really playing an instrument on stage and looking like a dancing clown in front of a laptop.(...)
I talked to a friend yesterday and we both assumed that all those kids starting to go to parties these days will think that laptop-performing is the usual thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
I wouldn't dare take a laptop on stage. All 100% hardware for me. plus, i don't like to follow trends =o]
That's what I should do, too. Not following trends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufty View Post
for a while I was recording (for simple enjoyment) live jam sessions on x0x style stuff hook ups. Its very hard to be consistent. Muting, changing patterns, cutoffs etc was very challenging w/more then 3 boxes. It took a lot of practice and while fun, I wasn't sure its something I'd want to be doing on a stage. That said, I was thinking it would be doable in a 'friendly' environment, local record store festival, street fair etc where entry fee is nominal.

but if people were paying $20+ a head, I was thinking they might expect more precision, as well as sequencer variety, which as far as I can tell is best served by a laptop (or octopus). You could use an mpc for sequencing, true, and I'm sure there are plenty who do find success with hw sequencers. But that might be one reason you see guys ditching their 909s for live & laptops, sequencing challenges.
Yes, it can be quite challenging to use multiple machines at onces and not fukk it up, be on time and so on. But actually I like like that challenge. Most of the time, things just start to run smooth and I'm always a little ahead of the things that are playing at the very moment. I know automatically what to do in 1 bar or so and my fingers just follow. If I fukk something up like being late with something, I try to make that error part of the music. It's live, what the hell...

Btw, I mostly meant loop-based techno, not so much liveplaying like with guitars or keys. Maybe a little here and there, but not too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Not to toot my own horn, but we dont use computers on stage at all. I run (...) Once I get my head around EOS, My Emu E4 will replace the Juno, and ESQ, that way I can significantly reduce the size of my rig.

Hope that helps! There ARE people out there still!!!!
Very cool. And there are still people out there who like those performances way better than "email-checking on stage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 View Post
I don't use a laptop on stage. For one thing I've seen performances go south easily, if a Laptop is all you have then be prepared for a wave of anxiety to rush over you if you don't have a backup and something fails.
That's what happened at a Hardfloor-gig in Hamburg. For some reason, Ramon uses an Ableton-Macbook now instead of the Yamaha RS7000 he had for many years. Guess what; before-DJ faded out the last record. People were cheering, Hardfloor started and after a few seconds, the computer fukked up. What the heck?! The music completely stopped and everybody realized something was way wrong. It took some minutes for Ramon to restart the system and bring Ableton back to life. Although he tried to NOT look like that, one could see that he was pissed. The before-DJ finally played a new record and after that, Hardfloor finally came back to life. The funny thing is that we were talking before (on our way in the car) about changing the RS7000 against a computer, e. And then it happened. Priceless.
#13
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Seattle USA
Posts: 2,877

Meriphew is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 View Post


My point is that many devices out there ARE computers.
Totally true. Some people are like "I would never use a computer onstage, I only use a hardware sequencer." Practically the same thing.
#14
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,879

rockmanrock is offline
#15
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: fear and loathing across the country, listening to my 8-track
Posts: 3,215

Entrainer is offline
I'm going to post some thoughts on this for the sake of discussion. Please be aware that these are my personal views on the matter and not the gospel, so no need to feel threatened and flame in response.

I've been a "live" electronic performer since 1996. I started with MMT8s, then moved to MC80s, and now I use a new sampler and sequencer combination.

First, in response to your question, I do not know of any electronic musician who is not using a computer. My definition of computer includes any sequencer built into any device that stores memory/patterns. Those computers may be limited, but they are built upon computing technology. A MPC, MC80, MMT8, 909, 303... all use computers.

My previous set-up used MC80s triggering Kurzweil samplers, fed into a mackie board, with some synths synced for real-time control. The Kurzweil was expanded to a whopping 256MB of memory, so I was limited in the samples that could be placed within. Most had to be converted to Mono in order to save space.

My current rackmount sampler has 3GB of memory. The quality of the A/D convertors is much better than the Kurzweil. It feeds a AH-Xone-464 board. I can still mute tracks on the fly, like the MC80. I have 32 faders and knobs assigned to control many more parameters than before. The on-board FX are much higher quality than I had before.

My new sampler/sequencer is a rack-mount Quad-Core connected via firewire to a Black Lion mod Motu 828mk2. Oh yeah... the screen looks a LOT nicer than the MC80/Kurzweil.

So... if the performance aspect is better (live control and manipulation), the sound quality is better, and I have 100 TIMES the options... then the functionality is covered.

Which of course leaves the other major thing not accounted for:

FASHION.

Does it look good?

Well... Daft Punk and Justice have me beat at Live Performance Fashion. Pyramids, empty Mashall stacks, 4 Jazz Mutant Lemurs.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not a hater at all. I love those shows... it's just currently outside of my payscale : )

Soon I'll have live Lite-Cycle races, Memezine, and the Jonas Brothers vs Hanson in Thunder-Dome while I hide behind white sheets like Maurizio. Just you wait and see...
#16
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #16
Lives for gear
 
wax808's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,482

wax808 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Totally true. Some people are like "I would never use a computer onstage, I only use a hardware sequencer." Practically the same thing.

Almost. IMHO it's like a car. The less moving parts the better.


An MPC for example is pretty rock solid. It does still have an OS though and can have a hard drive.

My Numark HDX and Numark X2's have failed me before in a gig, it sucks ass.


I have worked with computers too long to simply trust them. There are too many variables. Unless it's an Amiga 500 I aint gonna bring it on stage.
#17
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: fear and loathing across the country, listening to my 8-track
Posts: 3,215

Entrainer is offline
Oh yeah...

and I'll be screaming "MASTER BLASTER RUNS BARTER TOWN!"
#18
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #18
Gear addict
 
peteblues's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 482

peteblues is offline
I use a laptop live which is only running an organ emulation (vb3), nothing else. I'm doing this only because I like that sound a lot, but occasionally I get glitches, hanging notes, mod wheel (leslie speed) not picking up, and occasional midi latencies. I'm looking at replacing that setup with an Electro, so I can focus more on playing.
Aside from that, I'm not sure if I'd consider my band electronic music - drums, bass, keyboards, doing acid jazz.
#19
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: fear and loathing across the country, listening to my 8-track
Posts: 3,215

Entrainer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 View Post
Almost. IMHO it's like a car. The less moving parts the better.


An MPC for example is pretty rock solid. It does still have an OS though and can have a hard drive.

My Numark HDX and Numark X2's have failed me before in a gig, it sucks ass.


I have worked with computers too long to simply trust them. There are too many variables. Unless it's an Amiga 500 I aint gonna bring it on stage.
This is very much a good point. Reliability.

My rig is shock mounted and uses solid-state hard drives. They are small, 16gb and 32gb. The OS is completely optimized and the live machine never goes on-line. Of course, only the bare minimal live performance software and effects are installed (all legal and legit).

I carry a 32GB solid-state backup that accompanies me on person in case of failure.

The weak link is currently MOTU drivers. God I fraking hate them.
#20
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Popbott's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Texas by way of Pluto
Posts: 2,011
My Recordings/Credits

Popbott is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by detritusdave View Post
I take a computer on stage. And I also play keyboards. And use Ableton to trigger stuff. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. If I didn't there would need to be around 10 of me. Thankfully there aren't. I do what I can with the amount of gear I can physically carry with me when travelling to gigs.

I don't like the idea that someone taking a computer on stage with them isn't playing. Would it be ok for someone to have a hardware sequencer on stage with them?
Then why don't you get some musicians to play along with you instead of your hand dandy laptop and play the shit for real? I don't like paying to see tracks running off of a laptop, my point being, that it just looks like a crappy cop-out. Instead, make me wonder how you are getting the music across without the aid of a helping hand computer, show me some musicianship. Impress & inspire your audience. Can't do that with a laptop. tutt
#21
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: fear and loathing across the country, listening to my 8-track
Posts: 3,215

Entrainer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
Impress & inspire your audience. Can't do that with a laptop. tutt
I've personally been impressed and inspired without ever looking at the DJ or performer. The music spoke for itself.

And I've been bored or laughing silly watching cock-rocking keyboards doing flips and surfing on their keyboards. That's because I didn't like the music at the time. Not going to name any names here... but it starts with Crystal M and ends with OBY.

Last edited by Entrainer; 27th February 2009 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: addition
#22
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #22
Lives for gear
 
sleepwalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,290

sleepwalker is offline
What playback device are you using? Is your problem with *seeing* a computer, or using a computer. Do you play all your parts live? Sounds like you don't, so it's weird advice to give someone else. My sincere apologies if you do play everything live.

Popbott-With my all synth band, I use a playback device live. Hidden from my audience, I leave open parts on my tracks and play those parts live to fill in the blanks. With live electronic music, I can still be a performer, actually play an instrument and I don't have to sound like complete dog crap on stage. No one knows, no one cares, and I get all the chicks. If I had a laptop on stage, people probably would not approach us to tell us how much they enjoyed our show.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
Then why don't you get some musicians to play along with you instead of your hand dandy laptop and play the shit for real? I don't like paying to see tracks running off of a laptop, my point being, that it just looks like a crappy cop-out. Instead, make me wonder how you are getting the music across without the aid of a helping hand computer, show me some musicianship. Impress & inspire your audience. Can't do that with a laptop. tutt
#23
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Seattle USA
Posts: 2,877

Meriphew is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 View Post
Almost. IMHO it's like a car. The less moving parts the better.
I agree.
#24
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #24
Lives for gear
 
nofi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: australia
Posts: 1,116

nofi is offline
it's called "live performance" notice that it's 2 simple words, and it doesn't include any specific information on what you're using or how you're doing it.... it's possible to do a good live performance including a laptop on stage. you just have to be able to perform with it and whatever else you have up there. (and it does really help if you have other things to play!!)

Just because something makes it easy to be lazy doesn't mean you have to be lazy.



We went from years of playing all hardware to taking a laptop, about 4 years ago, and never looked back.

Its funny that people always like to go on in these threads about hardware being more reliable than a computer -

I've had an Mpc fail live (was the 2nd one, doing percussion parts so no biggie.. but required taking home and faffing about with inside to fix. if it was the only MPC we had, or was running the main sequences, would have got really messy)

I've had a waldorf XTk fail live (that was a disaster, as it was meant to be running all the main synth parts, sequenced from an MPC, and a power spike took out the internal PSU, killing it completely till I went and replaced the PSU) Lucky we had a minidisk backup plan, or there would have been no show!

Yeah, we've had the odd bit of PC weirdness, but no show stoppers - and if you keep your system light (read - dedicated to performing live! and reinstall at least every year) stability shouldn't be an issue.

benefits of using a PC over sequencer and samper -

1) no need to faff about with trimming samples to make them fit in limited sampler RAM - if it's a part of one of your tracks, you can render it out, chuck it into live, and use it.

2) no real limit to layers - when using samplers live, small space meant we had to mix down more layers into one sample. using the laptop gives more flexability.

3) faster to take elements out of your DAW and put them into live.

4) no need to try and recreate all your basic synth sounds on one main synth.

5) no need to try and recreate all your synth lines and drum patterns in one sequencer.

all these things mean less time spent housekeeping liveset data, and massaging your music into a format that you can even begin to play live with, and more time spent practicing performing.

6) real time timestretch - ability to tempo change things on the night to pull things down or push them up again. can't do that with loops in a sampler.

7) And unfortunately - the most important thing for some - if you get bored during your own generic crappy mnml laptop set, you can always play minesweeper or check your email....
#25
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Entrainer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: fear and loathing across the country, listening to my 8-track
Posts: 3,215

Entrainer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post

7) And unfortunately - the most important thing for some - if you get bored during your own generic crappy mnml laptop set, you can always play minesweeper or check your email....
rofl

I prefer doing my taxes while getting a blowjob, but to each their own : )
#26
27th February 2009
Old 27th February 2009
  #26
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Home Enthusiasm
Posts: 5,224

crufty is offline
so people go to concerts sober enough to know where the stage is these days. interesting concept
#27
28th February 2009
Old 28th February 2009
  #27
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 107

detritusdave is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
Then why don't you get some musicians to play along with you instead of your hand dandy laptop and play the shit for real? I don't like paying to see tracks running off of a laptop, my point being, that it just looks like a crappy cop-out. Instead, make me wonder how you are getting the music across without the aid of a helping hand computer, show me some musicianship. Impress & inspire your audience. Can't do that with a laptop. tutt
And then in the real world.....
We are talking shows of crowds <500 people. The expense of getting people in to play all the parts live would far outweigh the amount organisers would pay in expenses... BY FAR!!!


"Impress & inspire your audience. Can't do that with a laptop."

I'm sorry... but that's a load of complete and utter bollocks.
#28
28th February 2009
Old 28th February 2009
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Popbott's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Texas by way of Pluto
Posts: 2,011
My Recordings/Credits

Popbott is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by detritusdave View Post
And then in the real world.....
We are talking shows of crowds <500 people. The expense of getting people in to play all the parts live would far outweigh the amount organisers would pay in expenses... BY FAR!!!

"Impress & inspire your audience. Can't do that with a laptop."

I'm sorry... but that's a load of complete and utter bollocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
What playback device are you using? Is your problem with *seeing* a computer, or using a computer. Do you play all your parts live? Sounds like you don't, so it's weird advice to give someone else. My sincere apologies if you do play everything live.
Hey sleepwalker. I use a hidden hand-held mini disk. You are correct, my problem is seeing a computer on stage. When I see a computer on stage it automatically makes me think, "Awww, he's not playing anything he using a computer, this sucks." In my town, most of the general public think that, which is why I don't like to use a laptop on stage. I play just about everything live, parts that are on my playback device are backround loops, the one time occasional sample and synth basslines that are too complicated to pull off live and effects at times. I switch between three synths at a time and play a Roland SPD-11 for percussion and f/x, I also use a talkbox and a vocoder on different songs and also sing lead vocals. I do so much on stage, it just erks me to no end to see a laptop onstage. I have quite a bit on my plate, but that's my own choice, my own standard for musicianship. IMO, I understand eveyone is different.
#29
28th February 2009
Old 28th February 2009
  #29
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 107

detritusdave is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
I play just about everything live, parts that are on my playback device are backround loops, the one time occasional sample and synth basslines that are too complicated to pull off live and effects at times. I switch between three synths at a time and play a Roland SPD-11 for percussion and f/x, I also use a talkbox and a vocoder on different songs and also sing lead vocals.
Yup that's kind of pretty much the same as what I do using a laptop instead (apart from the vocals, as my stuff is instrumental). Use various soft synths, as well as a Nord Micro, and SonicCell. Use Ableton Live for percussion triggers. So I think it primarily comes down to aesthetics. In a sense, the difference between a visible laptop, and a hidden minidisc player. Which is cool Maybe I could hide my laptop, and everything would be fine then....
#30
28th February 2009
Old 28th February 2009
  #30
Lives for gear
 
alexp's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Niagara
Posts: 3,891

Send a message via MSN to alexp
alexp is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post
it's called "live performance" notice that it's 2 simple words, and it doesn't include any specific information on what you're using or how you're doing it.... it's possible to do a good live performance including a laptop on stage. you just have to be able to perform with it and whatever else you have up there. (and it does really help if you have other things to play!!)

Just because something makes it easy to be lazy doesn't mean you have to be lazy.



We went from years of playing all hardware to taking a laptop, about 4 years ago, and never looked back.

Its funny that people always like to go on in these threads about hardware being more reliable than a computer -

I've had an Mpc fail live (was the 2nd one, doing percussion parts so no biggie.. but required taking home and faffing about with inside to fix. if it was the only MPC we had, or was running the main sequences, would have got really messy)

I've had a waldorf XTk fail live (that was a disaster, as it was meant to be running all the main synth parts, sequenced from an MPC, and a power spike took out the internal PSU, killing it completely till I went and replaced the PSU) Lucky we had a minidisk backup plan, or there would have been no show!

Yeah, we've had the odd bit of PC weirdness, but no show stoppers - and if you keep your system light (read - dedicated to performing live! and reinstall at least every year) stability shouldn't be an issue.

benefits of using a PC over sequencer and samper -

1) no need to faff about with trimming samples to make them fit in limited sampler RAM - if it's a part of one of your tracks, you can render it out, chuck it into live, and use it.

2) no real limit to layers - when using samplers live, small space meant we had to mix down more layers into one sample. using the laptop gives more flexability.

3) faster to take elements out of your DAW and put them into live.

4) no need to try and recreate all your basic synth sounds on one main synth.

5) no need to try and recreate all your synth lines and drum patterns in one sequencer.

all these things mean less time spent housekeeping liveset data, and massaging your music into a format that you can even begin to play live with, and more time spent practicing performing.

6) real time timestretch - ability to tempo change things on the night to pull things down or push them up again. can't do that with loops in a sampler.

7) And unfortunately - the most important thing for some - if you get bored during your own generic crappy mnml laptop set, you can always play minesweeper or check your email....
No one ever said hardware was more reliable... its just a diff way of doing things...

alexP
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Touchmaster / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
106
mattianlaseppia / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
16
matucha / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
36

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.