I'm looking to buy an electronic drum kit, and need some advice on what to look for and what to avoid. I'm not an experienced drummer but have been playing around enough to hold a steady beat, and I'd like to use this drum kit for:
- Practice. I want to become a good, steady drummer, and I need a real reason to kick my drummer out of my band. (jk.)
- Recording drum beats in Logic 8. Sequencing with my MIDI keyboard and piano roll fidgeting is not giving me the results I want.
I'm not looking to perform live with this kit, it's just for use in my "studio" (read: bedroom).
- Which brands are to be trusted? Which ones are to be avoided?
- What are must-have features?
- How should I record these things? Just MIDI (and use a software sampler for drum sounds), or is there an advantage to using the kit's audio output?
- If MIDI is enough for recording, do I even need a kit that produces audio by itself?
I'm looking to spend anywhere up to $800, maybe even $1000 if you all can convince me it's worth it.
Thanks much for your advice.