Advice on electronic drum kits
Old 6th July 2008
Gear interested

Advice on electronic drum kits

Hey guise,

I'm looking to buy an electronic drum kit, and need some advice on what to look for and what to avoid. I'm not an experienced drummer but have been playing around enough to hold a steady beat, and I'd like to use this drum kit for:

- Practice. I want to become a good, steady drummer, and I need a real reason to kick my drummer out of my band. (jk.)
- Recording drum beats in Logic 8. Sequencing with my MIDI keyboard and piano roll fidgeting is not giving me the results I want.

I'm not looking to perform live with this kit, it's just for use in my "studio" (read: bedroom).

Questions:

- Which brands are to be trusted? Which ones are to be avoided?
- What are must-have features?
- How should I record these things? Just MIDI (and use a software sampler for drum sounds), or is there an advantage to using the kit's audio output?
- If MIDI is enough for recording, do I even need a kit that produces audio by itself?

I'm looking to spend anywhere up to $800, maybe even $1000 if you all can convince me it's worth it.

Thanks much for your advice.
Old 6th July 2008
Lives for gear

im using a TD3k at the moment but will upgrade to the new 2box thing that i saw in Frankfurt.
im using the TD to trigger EZdrummer but the latency kills me.
The 2box thing comes with great onboard sounds and will be able to playback BFD stuff and hopefully Toontrack too.

If you dont need any onboard sounds you could check out the alesis kit with the trigger i/o. looks cool and is pretty affordable. Havent tried it though.
Old 7th July 2008
Gear nut

If there is a budget, the Alesis kit is very nice, or not you should get a dDrum set or td-10 set.

I like to use the drums as triggers and mic the cymbals, give it the DEF LEPPARD feel, HEH.
Old 7th July 2008
Lives for gear

Practice.

dear prospective drummer.

The best way to get good at drumming (especially at a studio level) is a three step process:

1. Practice all of the beats that you know (fills too) to a click track that denotes the one differently than the other beats.

2. Learn new beats.

3. See Rule #1.

Regards.
Old 7th July 2008
Gear addict

There are a few issues to consider. 1st off is how fast your computer is and how good are your sound card & drivers. Latency, as was mentioned above, is always the killer when using a computer for live performance of any kind. If your computer is plenty fast and you have a good audio card then using your computer is by far the most flexible, powerful and inexpensive way to go. If, however, your latency kills you then you have to use an external module for sounds. It is also a good idea to buy your kit and drum trigger/brain matched. Some pads have different sensitivities matched to work best for a particular drum brain.

There are a lot of good options out there. Here are the companies I most trust.
Roland
Pintech
Yamaha
Alesis - The DM5 Pro looks like the best all around deal for what you are looking for.
Old 7th July 2008
Lives for gear

i think i saw a new one release recently,
they were bright orange.
from the same guys who made the old clavia ddrum stuff.
Old 7th July 2008
Gear addict

I thought Ddrumm got sold off to some other company? I waited for years for a new version o come out and it just kind of disappeared. Are they back???
Old 22nd October 2008
Gear interested

Yeah, the orange kit is Drumit Five made by 2Box, was brought up earlier in this thread. It's the company of the DDrum4 makers, IIRC it retails at about $2500 so it's way out of this guy's price range. Since he's not going to play live with this and he won't need to worry about latency or portability I would say getting the cheapest module available and then using it to trigger from a sample library on a computer would be the best way to go, sink most of your $ into the pads.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search