Best Keyboard for Learning
New Reply
Subscribe
strings
18th April 2008
Old 18th April 2008
Gear addict

Best Keyboard for Learning

I'm a guitar player, but would love to learn to play keyboards.
So what keyboard would you guys recommend for learning on?
I'm not looking for a controller, that will come later.
Nothing too expensive, but not cheap either, and portable...in case I decide to take lessons.
So far from reading, I gather I should get at least 61 keys.
Any suggestions?
18th April 2008
Old 18th April 2008
Gear addict

18th April 2008
Old 18th April 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to inthere
Any 61 key Keyboard will do. The best teacher you can get is a computer with a DAW.

Synths are different from guitar because you don't have to train your fingers as much. With a sequencer, you can write complete songs within a week after getting your gear. I would suggest skipping the learning process altogether and get straight to writing. A lot of the music theory you've learned from playing guitar can be applied.

Looking for a sweet chord progression that you couldn't imagine playing on a keyboard? Play it one note at a time. Slow down the tempo to record, then play it back at a faster speed.
strings
21st April 2008
Old 21st April 2008
Gear addict

Wow thanks everyone for the great tips!

Yeah I think hand placement and chords are where I'm going to start. If that comes along ok, then I may try to get into more advance things down the road. I will look at some of those models mentioned.
23rd April 2008
Old 23rd April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strings View Post
I'm a guitar player, but would love to learn to play keyboards.
So what keyboard would you guys recommend for learning on?
One with white keys only.

Seriously, play everything in C Major and A minor the first year. Then the rest will follow in a natural way.
23rd April 2008
Old 23rd April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthere View Post
Any 61 key Keyboard will do. The best teacher you can get is a computer with a DAW.

Synths are different from guitar because you don't have to train your fingers as much. With a sequencer, you can write complete songs within a week after getting your gear. I would suggest skipping the learning process altogether and get straight to writing. A lot of the music theory you've learned from playing guitar can be applied.

Looking for a sweet chord progression that you couldn't imagine playing on a keyboard? Play it one note at a time. Slow down the tempo to record, then play it back at a faster speed.
I've never heard such an utter load of bollocks ! - Totally wrong on almost every count.

"The best teacher is a DAW" - Anyone can buy a set a paints but it takes hard learning and good teachers to be able to paint a Rubens !

" Synths are different from guitar because you don't have to train your fingers as much" - I'd love to see your keyboard technique then ! ?

"I would suggest skipping the learning process altogether and get straight to writing" - Yeah Yeah ! - sod learning the alphabet and verbs - just dive in a write your first novel.

" Looking for a sweet chord progression that you couldn't imagine playing on a keyboard? Play it one note at a time." HAA HAA HAAAAA ! - reat.

HOME TRUTHS:

Get a keyboard with as near to a weighted action as you can and as near to 88 notes as you can. Don't go for gimmicks get a board with simple piano sounds and MIDI.

Learning from an experienced Teacher is vital ! - its so easy to learn bad habbits and so HARD to undo them. there are many bad habbits that if left unchecked will hinder you playing properly.

Learning about keybaord playing is more than just using your whole arms and fingers in the correct way its also the harmony you're going to need. This is a slow process but with the right teacher you'll have lightyears more experience in performing and writing compared to someone who knows a few riffs and gets stuck playing into the same corners because they don't know what they're doing nor where they're going nor how to get there' nor where else they can go. !

Good Teacher, Good Keyboard lots of determination and TIME - The world is your Oester.

Beer
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search