'serial sequencer' ???
New Reply
Subscribe
joeq
8th March 2008
Old 8th March 2008
Gear Guru

'serial sequencer' ???

I looking for a hardware device or software sequencer that will play a pre-programmed sequence of notes, IN ORDER = where each note is triggered by a separate MIDI event regardless of time spacing

in other words,
strike a key or a pad - hear the first note of the melody
strike the pad again hear the second note of the melody

etc etc

sort of like a music box with a hand crank instead of a mainspring. The notes on the drum will come in their correct order but the speed is manually determined and different every time.

I guess another way of accomplishing the same task would be: a device where each midi event would advance the clock to the next tick.

I remember seeing a video of a juggler "playing" a floor-mat keyboard by dropping tennis balls on it. It was obvious that he was not actually striking the "correct" notes. He was just hitting the pads in time - at which point the next note in the melody would sound.

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
8th March 2008
Old 8th March 2008
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to Greg_KPX
Ableton Live. You can assign note numbers to midi clips (or audio clips)... Download the demo and give it a test run.

Edit: I just re-read your post and you will have to give more info such as:

1. how many "patterns" do you need to store at a time
2. does it have to be a dedicated sequencer that only does this function or can you use a work around on an existing bit of kit that is capable of far more than what you want to do?
3. is it something that you want to use live and does it need to be very portable?
4. what do you need this function for specifically?
8th March 2008
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

DSI evolver has MIDI note controlled sequencer stepping, just like you asked for....
joeq
8th March 2008
Old 8th March 2008
Gear Guru

thanks guys - these are great leads!

it's not for me, it's for a student, so some of the details I have might be a little vague:

I know he wants to use it live, but he's young and has already stated that he is not averse to lugging his laptop to the gig. His enthusiasm for the project would probably overcome any hassles of transportation and setup -at least for now.

plus, I am pretty sure he would gravitate towards a cheap clumsy solution vs an expensive elegant solution.

he is a drummer and he wants to have a pad set up to play the melody (or maybe it was a bass line?) at a tempo of his choosing rather than having it loop on a clock. He wants to have another pad set up for program change messages.
8th March 2008
Old 8th March 2008
Lives for gear

Roland SH-101's sequecer!

-Tomi
8th March 2008
Old 8th March 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

i think the newer MPC's (1000,2500) can do something like this perhaps you need the JJOS though. i recall seeing a video on youtube where the guy did exactly what you are describing.
8th March 2008
Old 8th March 2008
Gear addict

Hmm.. ok this is what I have thought up and its pretty crude but it could work, and I'm still drunk from last night:

Basically in Ableton Live he could set up a whole lot of midi clips with one note in each clip and use "follow actions" to play the next clip. If he keeps the clips as one shots (unsynced to the master tempo) then in theory (haven't tried this yet), it should advance to, and play the next note every time he hits the drum trigger and then go back to the start when he reaches the last clip (follow actions again).

The cool thing is, he could set up around 16 separate midi channels with different sets of clips in each one.

Another cool thing is he could also chop up an audio loop of a bass line and use that instead of triggering midi clips.

This could also apply to drums and whatever audio he chooses to dump into Ableton.

The only thing now is to test this theory but I'll do it after breakfast.
9th March 2008
Old 9th March 2008
Gear addict

Ok, just set the Ableton idea up, tested it and the "follow actions" are 100% useless for this and it doesn't work as I had imagined. Basically i can keep it from being synced but once you hit the first clip, it just runs through all of them automatically, so its not possible to do with one trigger alone.

The other thing I tried was using one shot clips, un-synced and just hitting one note every time to advance the "scene". It worked exactly as you describe but it won't loop!

So basically you can cross Ableton Live off the list

p.s. remind me not to have any stupid ideas after a big night
joeq
9th March 2008
Old 9th March 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_KPX View Post
The other thing I tried was using one shot clips, un-synced and just hitting one note every time to advance the "scene". It worked exactly as you describe but it won't loop!

Is it possible to paste a couple hundred together? that way the song would be over before he ran out.
9th March 2008
Old 9th March 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Is it possible to paste a couple hundred together? that way the song would be over before he ran out.
Yes you can... but its kind of a clumsy workaround as he'd be doing a lot of cutting and pasting

He would also have to load a new file each time he wants to change the melody! But maybe thats not a problem?
9th March 2008
Old 9th March 2008
Gear addict

9th March 2008
Old 9th March 2008
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

9th March 2008
Old 9th March 2008
Lives for gear

Max/Msp.
Pretty complicated program overall, but easy to make it do things like you're asking.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search