New Reply
Subscribe
razorz
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to razorz Send a message via MSN to razorz
Electronic Drums w/ multiple outputs?

I am not sure if this has been covered before, but I am looking for a set of electronic drums with multiple outputs. IE, I want to be able to record the kick drum into it's own track away from the high hats, tom's, etc.

I have looked at quite a few drum sets and all of them just have the typical MONO/Stereo output ports.

Any ideas? Get a real drum set and mic it?
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknosmoker
If you are talking about an electronic drum pad system (like Roland V-Drums), keep in mind that since they are often simply triggered via MIDI, you can connect any sound module or perhaps even a drum machine that has multiple individual outputs for each sound. Alesis made DM5 and DM Pro modules that were simply drum modules with individual outs that you could easily connect to a set of V-Drums. As another option, you might find a sampler with individual outputs to be more versatile, as your sound library will never cease to grow -- just load any samples that you like into it and trigger them via the electronic drum pads.

-T
razorz
2nd November 2007
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to razorz Send a message via MSN to razorz
Yeah, I forgot that the drum sets can trigger midi plugins like Addictive Drums, if I can get it to map correctly anyhow.

The dummer I deal with wants more of a tactile feel to his playing than a sampler, whereas a real drum set is too loud and large to keep in my studio space.

16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Gear interested

I have the same problem.
I am only looking for a sound module as i will be triggering via midi.
The DM5 does not have enough outputs and the DM pro has been discontinued and is hard to find.
Are there any other alternatives that are not as expensive as the roland td20?
I'm looking to make commercial popular/dance music
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Gear interested

Anyone?
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Gear addict

I always thought most electronic drum modules were already set up with Multiple-outs. Do they still make those? Or is it just plain stereo outs, and no individual outs now?
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Gear interested

The high end roland stuff (TD 20) is the only thing I can find. Just wondering if there are any other alternatives?
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

roland R8M

ebay £50

also many other 90's drum modules have multi outs
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Gear interested

Thanks will give that a look, but looking for something a bit more modern that I could buy of the shelves tomorrow.
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Gear interested

Just found the roland td-10 that has been discontinued but has multiple outputs.
It is less than half the price of the td20 on ebay!
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Gear Head

What I suggest is the Yamaha DTXtreme module. It has 6 individual outputs along with stereo and digital out. You can install up to 512MB of sample memory, a feature sorely lacking in the way overpriced Roland TD-20.

Yamaha DTXT3 @ KraftMUSIC.com

Available new for $1,500 and used for half that if you can find one. Interestingly enough, with a free firmware update this becomes the $3,000 module for Yamaha's top of the line DTX950 kit - a different paint job but otherwise the identical box!

I own an updated Roland TD20 V drum set. When I had a chance to rent it out for a few months I looked for a cheap alternative so I could keep practicing. Yamaha has a much better hi-hat controller and some other great features. This will now be my main kit. Anyone want to rent a TD20 kit starting next month?
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Gear interested

Thanks I will check it out.
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavs View Post
I have the same problem.
I am only looking for a sound module as i will be triggering via midi.
The DM5 does not have enough outputs and the DM pro has been discontinued and is hard to find.
Are there any other alternatives that are not as expensive as the roland td20?
I'm looking to make commercial popular/dance music
I use a DM5. It's got 4 outs, so what I usually do is record the MIDI from a performance, edit my MIDI, then separate the individual drums to different MIDI tracks in Logic. Then in the DM5, I'll send the drum sounds to their own out and then record the audio from each out to its own audio track. Two passes and I've got all the drums tracked out individually.

Although it's rare that I'd use the DM5 alone. It's usually used in conjunction with other drum sounds/modules/samplers.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search