Best Guitar Pedals For Synths
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Best Guitar Pedals For Synths

I've heard time and time again how good a collection of guitar pedals can be on synths..

So I'm gonna start building up a collection to add some extra flavor to my sounds.
I think the first one I'm gonna pick-up is the Big Muff distortion pedal.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend and why?

Cheers,
Jonny Pow!!!!
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

honestly, any pedals are good for synths imo...you can spend more on boutique/vintage which will usually sound fantastic, but second hand, cheap pedals also get the job done (boss for example)...if there is a store near you that will accommodate, , i recommend bringing your synth in and ask to audition a bunch .... i've come across tons of pedals in recording and usually liked them all in some way.
Old 19th September 2007
Gear maniac

to be honest i have found the big muff (original) not all that great

and i tend to disagree with the "all pedals are ok for synths" statement to a degree...

I went and bought a superoverdrive pedal, and it did sweet F.A to all my synths (juno, nord lead, 101)

i would love to know of some tried and tested pedals that work on the majority of synths, a nice wah could be cool, but as far as distortion pedals, they just detstroy and usuallly muddy the sound imo
Old 19th September 2007
Gear nut

A mutron bi-phase if you can find one, really a great phaser for keys. I've used it on piano, clavinet and rhodes, as well as pads/strings with a big smile as result. A tape echo of some sort (although hardly found in pedal form if not an emulation...) can be nice & interesting too, depending on what you want to do with the sound of course.

I have a guitarist friend who is also a good keyboard player; he has a ton of pedals for example big muff, holy grail, a boss phaser, a crybaby, some korg multieffect with delays, ring modulator etc. All of those work great on his synths, which are a combo of some VA and cheap 80s digital synths. As always, it depends on what sound you're after. Just try some pedals in a store with your synths, or buy with return policy.

If I were to buy some pedals for my synths, I'd start with a phaser of some sort. I'd also like a delay, especially if your synths don't have it already. next would be an overdrive, preferably a soft one that can add girth and some nice musical distorsion... or maybe a ringmodulator. or why not a moog murf?! go listen at their site, moogmusic.com. seems interesting. and a wahwah is highly recommended, especially if you play organ/rhodes/clavinet-like sounds. and it works really well for synth leads too. YMMV
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

H&K Tubefactor, EH Polychorus and Boss CE-2 are good.

-Tomi
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

I used to have a mutron biphase, and they rock, excellent sounding phaser.

Electro harmonix makes some expensive but wicked pedals. I'd check out analog haven, they carry super cool pedals as well. I've got a couple boss, and they work well too. Keep in mind that alot of pedals add a certain amount of noise to the signal, but in most cases it actually sounds super cool.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

A big "duh" is any of the Moogerfooger pedals. Their integration with any (cv based) synth rig is amazing.

Also the Metasonix stuff is just literally sick. Nasty. Twisted. Nothing else like it.

I have a green russian big muff and I've had success using it with synths. Mainly oddly enough with reamping pads.

Tremolo pedals generally aren't needed, since you'd just route an LFO to a ring mod or whatever and get the same effect on your synth. Depending what it is and how you patch it.

A good delay pedal can be useful, and I'd recommend the Moog MF-104. It sounds awesome.

A Holy Grail or similar can be good to give yourself a spring reverb tank sound (although little beats the real thing) that's so ubiquitous to the ARP 2600.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

i not saying all pedals are great for synths, just that most pedals can do some cool stuff...ive used awesome boutique pedals .but still can have fun and get a great sound out of a boss chorus / flanger / delay / overdrive / metalzone....and most of those i picked up for less than $50....i like the cheap big muff too! i think the eh freq analyzer is just as good as a moog ring for what i want in a ring mod...i actually like it more although having an lfo would be nice. the frostwave ring mod is no joke however. i think people have their own tastes, especially when it comes to distortion, and for me, bringing my synth to a store and trying out different distortion pedals has been the way to go...if you're ever in nyc, main drag has a good selection and you can spend as long as you like.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

stuff that makes weak guitar fx tends to kick ass on synths. check out those cheap digital distortion & multi fx boxes from digitech or whoever. on guitar they sound kinda cold & steril, but most synths are already that way, so the effect works. they can also be had for next to nothing these days since everyone is obsessing over all things "vintage", "analog" & non-digital.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

boss digital delay (stereo) w/warp

the various distortion petals haven't really done much to float my boat, but the digital delay is worth it.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

+1 Moogerfooger!
Old 20th September 2007
Gear maniac

yep moogerfooger thumbsup

totally forgot about my moogerfooger delay, it also has a warmth or distorion knob so i can add some moog distortion to the delayed signal if i like

must go back and get another come to think of it!!
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Head

Aside from the sound quality offered by the pedal, I'd look for something that you can easily manipulate with your fingers, being a big part of the fun. I have an old DigiTech delay that isn't too clean, but the controls are all nice and spread out so I can manipulate it manually as I play. Also nice because it has the hold/repeat on a separate button from the bypass switch. Model is PDS 1002.

I've had good luck with a Russian Big Muff on my electric piano sounds. Got an old Univox phaser that I like too, but nothing is quite like a MuTron BiPhase! I was also surprised how much I liked having the wah pedal as a foot control more than a hand control for filtering; maybe it's just because I was a guitarist first. Good luck!
Old 25th September 2007
Gear addict

I really love my Line6 Echo Pro pedal thingie.

It's sexy.
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Just bought a big muff on ebay, so I'll let you know my thought when it arrives.
Old 30th November 2007
Gear interested

I know it's not a synth,

but I use guitar pedals on my electric piano (roland rd-700) and you can get some fantastic sounds.

The Big Muff (providing you get the tone right and don't use too much sustain) sounds amazing. I think.

I get this really nice watery sort of sound with a mooger fooger Bass Murf.

And you get this, almost seaside organ sound when you put it through a Whammy and select the harmonise with 1 octave up.

Asides from that I've tried other things, such as delay, and I've not found one pedal that I couldn't get a cool enough sound out of.
Old 30th November 2007
Gear addict

IHMO, guitar pedals that don't have line-level inputs are more trouble than they are worth. I gave up on that a few years ago, and I sold a bunch of guitar stuff including an Ibanez UE405. I just got frustrated with trying to match levels and impedences, and deal with the noise and limited bandwidth of most guitar pedals.
Now I only use ones that can accommodate line ins and outs. The Boss -20 series (DD-20, CE-20, etc.) are worth looking into; they sort of bridge the gap between guitar pedals and rack/module effects. Once in a blue moon I'll run something through an old DoD FX50, but for most things I'd use it for, the Dotcom Q130 clipper/rectifier works better and is more versatile.
Old 30th November 2007
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

<< i tend to disagree with the "all pedals are ok for synths" statement >>

Same here. I have been on a quest for distortion pedals for synths lately. I recently ordered the Boss SD-1, DS-1, and Ibanez tube screamer. Ended up returning them all.

I just got the "Fultone 70" (a quality clone of the classic Fuzz Face). I can get a few nice sounds running it thru my Juno 106-- better than the Boss stuff.

Mirwais (one of my influences) says his favorite is the original Big Muff. I may try that or the original RAT pedal next.

As a side question: anyone recommend a high quality small amp for re-amping?
Old 30th November 2007

<< Just bought a big muff on ebay, so I'll let you know my thought when it arrives. >>

So how do you like it? What's the vintage?
Old 30th November 2007
Gear addict

Maxon AD-999 is a nice analogue delay pedal. Wouldn't leave home without it.
Old 30th November 2007
Gear nut

Z. Vex Wah Probe for anything really, super awsome wah pedal that is unique and very interactive, really expensive but theres nothing like it. All of the probe pedals are awsome, Z.Vex website has good movie demos. It's functionality is superb, entire mixes sound good through it drum machines too.

Fuzz factory (also Z.vex) - it's nasty and it requires a hot signal in, it can make an amplifier sound like it's melting, got to be careful with it's level there's nothing buffering it's output and it can destroy things.

Old boss dc-2 sounds sweet with everything i've put thru it xept for bass.

Tube screamer as mentioned, an old one or modified by analogman or R.Keley - you don't hear the difference between modified/unmod/vintage until it's cranked up.

Boss rps-10, I like it, it's an 8-bit digidelay does backward delay and pitch shifts - kinda hard to come by but they happen on ebay sometimes. Kind of tape delayish - distorts as it fades - pitch shift is nice and controlable via audio in.

Roland space echo of coarse! I sold mine a few years ago in a total pinch, my heart is still broken.

Emma discombobulator - envelope filter awsome to tweak reacts sweat to dynamics and small intervals (a D and a D# for example), does up and down sweeps - it's just sick, it likes a hot signal too.

DOD FX-17 - wah/volume pedal, cheap and unique, I don't understand how it works but I guess it's optical (no filter pot) it's different and sounds good.

Digitech whammy-1 (wh-1), every instrument sounds good through it, xpensive as hell though, the wh-2 (black model) sounds good to0 and go for 180-250.

Like I said Z.Vex will make you drool, it's pricey though.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

+1 for a Boss CE-2. Great chorus.

I also use a proco RAT for distortion. it grunges stuff up really nicely.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear
Here is my pedalboard..I think it is awesome for mangling about anything:

Dynacomp > Ts9> Big Muff (black one)>Phase 90>Memory Man

The Memory man is the best pedal ever...worth the price tag.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

another confirmed big 'nope' on the big muff. Tried on Micromoog for grindy bass. Just lacking in balls. I just use it for Rhodes.
Old 30th November 2007

<< another confirmed big 'nope' on the big muff. >>

good to know. Now I won't waste my time w/ that one.

Anyone using the RAT? Crystal Method supposedly used that on their first big record.
Old 30th November 2007

Divine Chemical- are you associated w/ Shpongle? Just wondering why you have it it your sig? Just a fan?
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
Anyone using the RAT?
i had a RAT @ the house for a while. it was a lil too nasty for me. i could get some interesting dirty tones thru it but they didnt play well with others.

my fav for synth are the guitar boxes. digitech valve & rp350, pod.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
<< another confirmed big 'nope' on the big muff. >>

good to know. Now I won't waste my time w/ that one.

Anyone using the RAT? Crystal Method supposedly used that on their first big record.
Hey Dopamine,

I think I might've mentioned it to you in a PM (can't remember exactly what transpired in our conversation), but I'm using a ProCo Rat for some stuff. It is very aggressive and can create some cool results, especially when tweaking a synth's resonance. It's not a "Jack-of all trades", but it does a nice job in the world of "nastiness".

Yet another "thumbs-down" on the dfegadBig Muff. I wanted to like it, but found it to sound pretty crappy on synths.

----------

As far as non-distortion pedals go, I've gotten a lot of good use out of my MF-101 Filter, MF-103 Phaser, and Frostwave Resonator (the filter pedals sound nice when overdriven too). Once in a while I'll use an E.H. Deluxe Electric Mistress flanger as well, but not too often.

-T
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstytch View Post
Like I said Z.Vex will make you drool, it's pricey though.
Good lookin' out! That wah is dope. Love the idea of havin' it right there on the desktop. Pretty slick design.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear
Guys, you use the Big Muff on basslines when you run synths through it, not leads..pads..etc.

In case that's what you were doing.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search