Login / Register

16 bit to 24 bit Conversion???
New Reply
Subscribe
pedestrian47
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

16 bit to 24 bit Conversion???

to anyone who knows...

I posted this question in another thread but nobody responded, I figured I'd try this forum since it is mainly the type of music I make...

I am fairly new to digital recording and my first few projects were created at 16 bit...I have since switched to 24 but have a few questions concerning my earlier work. I use Cubase 3 and have been told that I can convert my 16 bit projects to 24 by going to the Pool and converting format...my question is- once I convert the audio in the pool is the project automatically 24 bit (assuming I switch the audio format in the preferences or project set up window)??? I have tried this on one project and when I am in the Pool it gives me 3 options: delete and replace, create new and leave the old, i am not sure what the 3rd one said but when I converted the audio foramt it would only let me creat new and not delete what was there before...once the new 24bit audio is created do i need to specifically select it to use to make the project run at 24 bit? If anybody understands what I am asking and has the answer I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
-A

if you r interested in hearing the projects at 16 bit unmastered go to

www.myspace.com/thebiddingwar
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
Gear addict

hi,

can you use them as there are even in a 24bit session without conversion ?

There will be no quality rise once you stemed your files to 16bit, so no need to convert them, imho.
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
Gear maniac

no benefit to converting your files to 24 bit. you will gain nothing by doing so. that said, you should definitely set your recording preferences to record and bounce at 24 bit. the benefit when recording is obviously that everything you record/bounce going forward will be 24bit. the benefit to this when working with your 16 bit files is that all of the processing you put on them (eq, compression, fx, etc) will be done at 24 bit, adding fidelity.
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
Lives for gear

You should be selecting 24 bit from the start of a project. You should have a option to select a 24 bit or 44.1 recording session or whatever sample rate you choose. The idea of working in 24 bit is so that you can dither in the end to 16 bit. What you are suggesting isn't a great idea for audio, I think you would be better to start over and just work in 24bit from now on.

To specifically answer your question, your program is asking you what you want to do with the original 16 bit files upon conversion. Most all programs can delete existing, make a new file etc, but you'll see all the additional files made or deleted in your soundbites window.
Everytime you render or dither files you add or truncate portions of your audio and are relying on your computer to fill in the blanks, the less you do that the better.

Let the ear be the final judge.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dynamics-Audio-Mastering/142816939085810
31st July 2007
Old 31st July 2007
Lives for gear

In Cubase there's absolutley no reason for doing this.None. There's no such thing as a 16 or 24 bit session. You can change bitdepth at any time you like. You can import files of different bitdepths as well.

So record one take at 16 bit the next at 24 and import a 32 bit and playback the whole thing is no problem. Why you'd want to do such a thing is another matter but it's still possible.

And it will not benefit processing at all. Everything is processed as 32 bit floats (or whatever the plugin uses internally).

All you'd accomplish by converting them to 24 bits is wasting hardisk space. That's all.
1st August 2007
Old 1st August 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
And it will not benefit processing at all.
changing individual 16 bit files to 24 bit files will not. but if you're bouncing a 16 bit audio file with fx, compression, eq, etc added, the resulting 24 bit audio file will be of a higher quality than if it was bounced to 16 bit.
1st August 2007
Old 1st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcekode View Post
changing individual 16 bit files to 24 bit files will not. but if you're bouncing a 16 bit audio file with fx, compression, eq, etc added, the resulting 24 bit audio file will be of a higher quality than if it was bounced to 16 bit.
True that.
1st August 2007
Old 1st August 2007

also, isn't there some benefit to a higher resolution when
using plug ins? don't they sound better at 24/96 than they do at 44/16 even though they eat up more CPU cycles?

i usually bounce at 24/96 and let the mastering engineer do the dithering as they usually have better software for this kind of thing and i know they enjoy the higher resolution as well.
pedestrian47
2nd August 2007
Old 2nd August 2007

Thanx for the repsonces...

I guess the general consensus is that converting 16bit to 24bit files after a project is started at 16bit is pointless or will have no effect on the audio...but what if it is going to be sent off to mix...would the 24bit files make a difference? All of my projects of recent have been created at 24bit 44.1. Anyway, thanx again for the replys.

peace,
-a
2nd August 2007
Old 2nd August 2007
Lives for gear

@ignatius raising the sampel frequency does make a difference on "poorly" constructed plugins. In a perfect world it should'nt but in reality it is a engineering deciscion how much antialiasing you choose to implement. CPU vs sound. Note that not all plugins generate aliasing,far from it and it is entirely possible that the plugin completly filter everything out. So in real life it can make a difference depending on which plugins you use. Or not.

@pedestrian47 Not sure what you mean with:send them away to mix. If you have'nt done any processing on them there's no point at all in changing the bitdepth. However as sourcekode mentioned if you process them it will capture the processing better if you use a higher bitdepth. Otherwise it's pointless.

If you disregard the fact that Protools can't playback files of different bitdepths in the same session.But that is a protools limitation nothing else.
Hmmm helpful info and some protools bashing in the same post ? Ace.
pedestrian47
2nd August 2007
Old 2nd August 2007

What I mean about sending them off is..they will be mixed on Logic in another studio...I have a simple home setup where I can get the sounds but I dont have the outboard gear to do a proper mix.

cheers,
-a
3rd August 2007
Old 3rd August 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcekode View Post
3rd August 2007
Old 3rd August 2007
Lives for gear

What's so funny about that ? Makes perfect sense to me and i agree with him 100 %. No if's or but's about it.
3rd August 2007
Old 3rd August 2007
Gear maniac

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search