New Reply
Subscribe
amomentsloss
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
Gear Head

Send a message via AIM to amomentsloss
EMU ESI 32 NEWBIE HELP

So I just got my sampler in the mail the other day and started playing with it. I've been going through the manual and basic functionality doesnt seem too hard, but it may take a little time. At this time I am tring to load a .wav sample from 3 1/2 floppy per the directions and don't know what I am missing. Any help is appreciated. When I choose load sample and point it at the floppy drive it says it can find a bank. Do i have to create a bank first or can i load individual samples one at a time? .wav is the right format correct? Any help from an experienced esi-32 user would be very greatly appreciated.
thanks
amomentsloss
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
Gear Head

after posting im realizing that wav is the wrong file type (which is probably the problem). What file types will it accept??
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
Gear interested

Halo, i have an e6400 which is tha same typa OS az tha ESI, so this iz wat u should do to get soundz in tha ESI..

1, sample them in thru tha audio inputz.
2, sample them in ur pc and dump via SCSI 2 ur ESI with wave editor Wavelab/Soundforge/Recycle (early versionz 1.6/7 i think..
3, Load up AkAI format or EMU format CD-Romz in 2 a connected SCSI cd-rom and read tha sampelz from tha EMU!
4, load up an EMU formatted Floppy that containz proprietary EMU samplez and read!

hope this helpz! JOykrash
amomentsloss
11th May 2007
Old 11th May 2007
Gear Head

I got some samples directly from the mixing board loaded. How do I assign them to the numbered triggers on the front of the unit. They seem to default to a midi keyboard (which i should receive in the mail tomorrow), but in the meantime i'd like to be able to trigger them directly from the sampler itself. Also, the samples are very quiet. When I turn up the input I get a sample overload error. Any suggestions?
12th May 2007
Old 12th May 2007
Gear interested

u need tha scope tha manual, sayz it all in there, u dont wan overload tha input, u can use the toolz in tha sampler 2 normalize tha sample.. there'z normally a trigger on the front of the MU to "audition" the samplez, u cant play them, u need a midi keyboard hooked up..

i found this in a 5 second search on tha net..

ESI-32 Online manual

s'got basic manual, dload tha full manual offa tha net sumwer..(google)

it has all tha answerz..

u get me : )
amomentsloss
14th May 2007
Old 14th May 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for the info guys. Alot of those links are very helpful, some i've already printed. A lot of this is falling to place going through the manual. Admittedly I was looking for a "quick fix" as I am going through the manual as quick as I can, but it is rather large and a lot of you have good experience and knowledge. That being said, I'm pretty comfortable getting samples on the machine now, and how to store and trigger them. Do you always have to hold down the trigger the entire time you'd like it to play, or is there a way to set it to tap the trigger to initiate and play the entire samples length. This is another question I'm sure I'll answer going through the manual, but if someone knows it off the top off their head it would save me some patience.

Thanks Again

Almost there....
17th May 2007
Old 17th May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Do you always have to hold down the trigger the entire time you'd like it to play, or is there a way to set it to tap the trigger to initiate and play the entire samples length.
funny you mention that. i'd like to know how to enable that feature as well & dont see anything in the online manual above. (didnt get the paper manual with it used). my crap ensoniq mirage could do that with a flick of a switch, so i imagine this thing should too. let me know if you find it before i do.
17th May 2007
Old 17th May 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

just found the full manual.
didnt see it on the the emu site
http://www.americanmusical.com/manua...i32_manual.pdf

looks liek it wants a footswitch:
Quote:
1. Sustain: ...If you play an
unlooped sound while the footswitch is pressed, it will play
through its entire length (whether or not you are holding down a
key), then stop.
amomentsloss
6th June 2007
Old 6th June 2007
Gear Head

A footswitch will definately do the trick but having to hold it down (while playing drums) can be tricky. I have found out how to assign the sample to latch mode and then you can press the trigger once on the unit itself and it plays the entire sample. I think for the long run, Im going to get an alesis i/o that converts a regular drumpad into a midi signal. Then you can trigger via pad. Hoipe this helps. Any other info you stumble across is always appreciated.
7th June 2007
Old 7th June 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
A footswitch will definately do the trick but having to hold it down (while playing drums) can be tricky.
duct tape!
amomentsloss
8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007
Gear Head

Thats funny. I had the exact same thought. But then the more i thought about it, i figured that may cause some problems somewhere. There has to be some time where it would make sense (or force you) to let the pedal open. I don't have experience using the foot pedal, but i would figure as much. I could be wrong. Then again, buying a foot pedal to just tape it shut seems counterproductive.
8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

i still cant believe emu wouldnt put some kind of control switch to enable this @ the sample level, but i have yet to find anything in the manual. i'll see if i can pick up a cheap footswitch & try messing with this over the weekend.
amomentsloss
8th June 2007
Old 8th June 2007
Gear Head

Please let me know what you discover. I'm going to try the alesis i/o trigger with one of the pads from my electronic set but it might take me a minute to get it all together
17th June 2007
Old 17th June 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

i should be sent back to synth101 class.
after dicking around with footswitches & settings & manuals for half a day it hit me.
VCA Envelope Release!!!
basic Attack Sustain Decay Release envelope. Crank up the release on all samples you want to sustain til the end.

here's the bit from page 185 of the official ESI-32 Manual:

Quote:
1 Activate Dynamic Processing module.
2 Select Submodule 2
3 move cursor to paramater to be adjusted & select desired value with data entry knob
in our case 'Rel' & we want to max that bitch out.
17th June 2007
Old 17th June 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

also the footswitch on my d4 wont do sustain, it will only change kits & trigger a hihat. guess i can get back to building my hybrid kit now
amomentsloss
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for the info. Definately helpful. I have a d4 footswitch too, was thinking of trying it, but you did it for me. Funny we have a lot of the same gear and are trying to do the same thing. Are you in a band or what? I'd like to hear the context you are using this in
shed4420@yahoo.com
or ill check back here
18th June 2007
Old 18th June 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Funny we have a lot of the same gear and are trying to do the same thing. Are you in a band or what? I'd like to hear the context you are using this in
always best to check the profile. here's my tunes:
brainwashaudio - purveyors of fine auditory distractions

i started playing in bands about 18 years ago. i'm operating more like a studio than a band these days. lost interest in holding a solid lineup together. i do have a steady stream of musicians i've known & worked with over the years who continue to come by & play when they can. so i record whoever comes over & splice jams with various other recordings & piece my songs together as they come.

i played a standup electronic drum kit live about 10 years back. simmons hex pads, d4, triggers, plexiglass, metal, ect...
i picked up the esi32 for samples when i was doing live shows in '04 to support my most recent "release". i've got a tama kit @ the house i been using to record drums but i'd like to expand the kit into the electronic realm. lots of other distractions though so it's kind of on the back burner.

ultimately i'd like it to be a hybrid kit with electronic drums & live mic-ed brass.
with the option to replace any electronic or acoustic piece as i like. custom samples & the classic stock sounds from the d4. i've got a roland kd7 for kick, looking to pick up a pintech mesh head snare, triggers for tom like noises/sounds (might replace them w/ rubber pads, octapad or drumkat @ some point), & the zildjian, pastie, sabian cymbals i have for brass. i hate electronic cymbals.
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

I had 2 ESI's for over 10 years, the manual is awesome, get into that thing! I have an adaptec 2496 SCSI adaptor card for PC and internal ZIP I'm not using, hmmm make me an offer! Its the only way to go, preview sounds by the hundreds on your pc, then zing them into the sampler. 17" monitor > small LCD screen, knowhatImean?
HINT = you can vary the filter with mod wheel etc but the resonance stays the same once the note is started, it's a limitation of the filters. So don't try to find out how in the manual! You made a great choice with the ESI
19th June 2007
Old 19th June 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

@superjc:
yeah i maxed out the ram on mine for pretty cheap as soon as i got it & it came with the zip drive installed. the SCSI dump feature is awesome.

what software do you use to link to the ESI over SMDI? i've been using an old version of SoundForge which works but occasionally locks up. i've heard ReCycle, WaveLab, WaveSurgeon also works. just wondering if another program might have a smoother connection. of course it might we a hardware driver issue.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search