possible sacrilege
New Reply
Subscribe
Dreism
12th March 2007
Old 12th March 2007
Gear interested

possible sacrilege

i REALLY want to know how they eq mariah careys vocals? has anyone noticed over the last few years you can barely hear her actual voice? it just sounds like a freakin synth! and her notes drag on for so long! Basically what im wondering is how do they do that EVERYTIME considering she works with so many artists and producers? I'm imagining her management applies some sort of eq rule given to every engineer when she records? How else would it be so exact everytime? or perhaps she records every vocal at the same studio....Anyone got any ideas on how they get that sound? But i dont need info on preamps and mics etc as i could never afford that kind of quality!

someone in another forum mentioned it may be a vocoder? perhaps?

Thanks alot!

Dre<!-- / message -->
12th March 2007
Old 12th March 2007
Gear Head

i dont ever come listening to mariah carey, but i know what you mean, recently i was forced to watch mtv and i heard it. sounded indeed crazy.
i think she is an alien :o
hmm maybe i check out some youtube, you got any specific trackname?
i dont wanna dig into that stuff too deep...

sorry for the very useful reply.
Dreism
12th March 2007
Old 12th March 2007
Gear interested

at least u know what im talkin bout!

there;s this track she does with jadakiss called u make me someshit or other which is a perfect example, its not even her record but she gets this soft synth like sound on her voice which has been the same as every other record she's done in the last 2 years. also one of the ones she released a few months ago you can hear it, on the chorus her voice goes forever and seems to b eq'd to hell, but soooo soft, i think its called shake it off...? you;re right, dont go to deep or it may affect your audio sensibilities forever. but i gotta know how they do that to her!
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Head

alright, listened to a track at youtube. think i heard an osc and lfo, so i would say they use a vocoder, though it wasnt that obvious, maybe she just developed a freaky singing technique? cant tell why she sounds the same on every record, (according to you) maybe she has a personal sound engineer or something?
if you could name a track where her notes drag for a unusualy long time, we could probaply find it out much better...

why do you want to know anyway?
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to blaugruen7
but if you listen on youtube you have to consider the additional youtube audio compression with often artifacts involved
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreism View Post
someone in another forum mentioned it may be a vocoder? perhaps?
<!-- / message -->
I beleive it's cross between a vocoder and an auto-tune plug in. That combo will make vocals sound very mechanical.
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Gear maniac

She records here vocals exclusivly in closed sessions anymore. The raw tracks are said to be painful.
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to blaugruen7
the surface gets thinner and thinner.
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Lives for gear

Synth Voice

What about Peter Cetera? Gotta admit, Glory of Love is a closet favorite of mine. His voice sounds like a glass synth. Anyone have an idea what he's using?
13th March 2007
Old 13th March 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
What about Peter Cetera? Gotta admit, Glory of Love is a closet favorite of mine. His voice sounds like a glass synth. Anyone have an idea what he's using?
I agree with you about Peter Cetera. He sounds like some kind of robot. I've always wondered how he does it. There's a few Peter Gabriel tracks that seem to have a similar effect. New Girl Now by Honeymoon Suite also has a synthetic sound to the vocals in my opinion.
Dreism
14th March 2007
Old 14th March 2007
Gear interested

reznick,

i think the track where she holds the notes is 'shake it off' and the end of it just lingers there like someone else mentioned here, it gets thinner, its like if there were osc etc...then they;re on a predestined declining wave form....mmm......

i wanna know cause i do a bit of r&b production and if i could figure out what they do to her i could come up with something similar but original. also i just hate not knowing engineering secrets, i hate that the big engineers have these things that they do and wont tell anyone in order to keep labels asking them for services, i mean its kinda understandable cause they just makin a living but still......

yeah cetera did have some cool effects on his voice, i think i read somewhere that that was really early autotuning (before antares, melodyne etc..), i dont know how though.

peter gab gets some mad vocal robotic effects too, but that should b easily reproducible as quite a few people have since copied that sound. i dont know how they do that either!

u guys should check out vyrsin's new cube2.2, u can morph any instrument into voice or whatever, sounds hot, ive had this massive oboe morph into a vocal and back, sounds really cool...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search