Cymbal recommendation for children
Old 24th November 2013
Gear interested

Cymbal recommendation for children

What cymbals would you recommend for children beginning to play drum set?
I don't know how easy it is to crack cymbals, but suspect getting Constantinoples would be premature (even though I'd enjoy playing and hearing those).
Are the bottom rung cheapest cymbals best for kids who will be hitting the cymbals wrong? Or can the good ones take some abuse?
Old 24th November 2013
Gear addict

I'd say, depends on the age of the kid. 3-9 years pretty much anything will do.
10-16 years, Wuhan's line of crash's, ride's and China's would be ideal.
A beginner to intermediate level of metal that records well and has pretty good projection in a live setting. A slightly more brassy sound, but not in a tinny sorta way, they cut electric instruments OK if played well and hard.
They're not going to sound like Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian or Meinle, but for their cost, they dont sound too bad at all. If your kid is still at it after sixteen, they will learn what great cymbals are, how to choose and match them, and should be encouraged to pay for them out of their own pockets.
On a slightly better note,{read more expensive, higher quality}, the Paiste Alpha & PST lines aren't bad and the Sabian B8 series are adequate as well. I use all of these 3 series live and they cut and carry pretty well. Seeing how most were donated, I can't complain, but being an advanced drummer, they probably would get replaced with the real deal if I had the bank, and the motivation.

TOL
Old 24th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiciscool View Post
What cymbals would you recommend for children beginning to play drum set?
I don't know how easy it is to crack cymbals, but suspect getting Constantinoples would be premature (even though I'd enjoy playing and hearing those).
Are the bottom rung cheapest cymbals best for kids who will be hitting the cymbals wrong? Or can the good ones take some abuse?
Paiste and Meinl make brass versions of their cymbals; the Paiste version is the PST3 and Meinl is called the MB10; both are inexpensive, durable, and decent sounding for young, new tub-thumpers.
Old 24th November 2013
Gear addict

Agree about the brass Meinls and Paistes. The Wuhans are a good choice too. Heck, I've got a couple of Wuhan Chinas that sound great. They're very cheap. Once you're sure they're going to stick with it, then you can invest in the nicer offerings.

Good luck.

Steve
Old 25th November 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for your input. One more question, would you let your kids play your good cymbals?
Old 25th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiciscool View Post
Thanks for your input. One more question, would you let your kids play your good cymbals?
Not a chance. I'd have a set of brass Meinls or Paistes kicking about for them to use and to enjoy.
Old 25th November 2013
Gear Guru

The reality is, they love smashing them as hard as they can, and with a stiff grip which will stress the cymbal.
Go with the entry level cymbals already recommended. Another consideration is volume. Bashing cymbals is very damaging to your ears. Try and stop kids from bashing cymbals as soon as you can without spoiling their fun and enthusiasm. If they insist on bashing cymbals for months, limit their exposure to those high sound levels to a few minutes a day.
Old 26th November 2013
Lives for gear

The most expensive cymbals I ever owned - cracked the soonest.
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

My feeling is that young kids (say under 10 years of age), regardless of their not yet refined technique, are not strong enough to damage good cymbals. Sure, they may use a stiff grip and smack hard etc, but their tiny little arms don't weight much and they don't have the type of brute strength that can really harm a cymbal. I don't think any good cymbal is truly in danger here.

But, what is perhaps more of a concern, I feel it's very important for a serious, aspiring drum student to be using excellent gear. Some of the el-cheapo cymbals I've checked out in my day were truly garbage. You can't make music with that type of stuff. You can't refine technique etc when you're using equipment that will never sound good, regardless of how you hit it. Etc. A serious student should be using good gear... so they can learn how to make that gear "sing". Cheap, crappy gear will never "sing".

A few years back I bought a relatively inexpensive kit for my 3-year old.... and I made sure to tune it up well and added excellent cymbals. Overkill? Maybe. But at least she will grow up hearing and becoming accustomed to "good drum kit sound". In my opinion, she will learn how to "work" the kit way sooner this way and have a better understanding of good sound.

So, in sum, I'd say it should be fine, and is even recommended, to let young students use good cymbals.

If anything I'd be more concerned about having the youngsters knocking the cymbal stands over and having the cymbals crash to the floor. Hopefully you can trust your students to behave and be careful / respectful of the gear. And of course make sure to use good cymbal sleeves and felts etc and make sure they're always installed (because a student might choose to swap a cymbal and forget to re-install the sleeves / felts as I have seen happen).

That's my 2 cents anyway. Best of luck!
Old 21st December 2013
Gear Head

They should use any cymbal an adult would use. The big issue is not knowing whether they are going to stick to drumming as they grow. If you they all did, get them good cymbals from the outset.
Old 10th January 2014
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search