Login / Register

Have Yamaha Oak Customs, session guy wants to leave one of his kits...?
New Reply
Subscribe
James Lugo
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012

Have Yamaha Oak Customs, session guy wants to leave one of his kits...?

I've got a Yamaha Oak Custom, 13, 16, 18, 24. I do mostly rock stuff, the kit sounds fantastic, one of my session guys needs to make some space and needs to store a kit at the studio (we can also use it on his sessions). He has I believe Birch and Maple Yammy kits. I think 22" kicks on one of them. Not sure. My question is if you were gonna get a kit to compliment the Oaks for tracking pop and rock would you go Maple or Birch? Sizes? Why?
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to muziekschuur
Just did an audition. And the drummer used a maple custom. I really missed the OAK drumkit. But Hey, I'm not the one to ask. Your clients can only answer that question. If you have drummers come in you should have a gazillion pieces or just one good piece. If you give em two choices they want a third...

I would answer this question from a sales point of view. If they don't like the kit you offer, then it's time to offer them to go to another studio and be hired as an engineer in that session. And then bring in the tracks and take it from there... (Because that's the way we do it.... can YOU (=client) handle the price)...

Just my two cents...

http://www.myspace.com/a-muze#!/556701704
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear Head

I guess it's all about how you define "compliment". If you mean with compliment "resemble" my vote is for the maple kit. If you mean "contrast" I would go for birch.
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear Guru

Yes, contrast = birch.
22" is also a do-it-all bass drum size.

If it were me walking in the door, I would choose birch over oak for recording anyway, but I haven't A/B'ed the kits side by side.
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012

I guess contrast is what I'd be looking for. Though the Oaks record great, just did a session all day and they killed. Question: sonically how does Oak and Birch differ?
27th April 2012
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to muziekschuur
Set it up and try it out. Oak is much tighter and has more dynamics. Other Yammies is not my thing (birch or other wood). Since I heard oak I'm hooked. I had a Pearl kit with 6 toms. They were open at the bottom. The kickdrum was slightly lower (open too) and longer. Now that gave a completely different sound. Traded that kit for a rack of outboard. Great deal.. Though that kit had loads of mojo.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear Head

I own both a Maple Custom and a Recording Custom (birch) and while both are stellar kits, the Recording Customs are better for recording, especially for rock. The maple toms tend to resonate too much for close micing (though sound fantastic for live) and the maple kick is a little weak compared to the birch kick. I do a decent amount of session work and couldn't be happier with the birch.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search